Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HondaCivet posted:

How do you recruit animals? I've got Animal Whisperer on one character but I haven't seen how to use it on animals yet. Or can you not recruit the first goat?

It's on your skill tab the same way surgeon or demolitions is. Select that flute thing and hack the animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Kenshin posted:

If you're at the place South of the Prison, you're not supposed to be able to kill those on your own:
If you have a character with high computer science skill, you need to hack the humanoid robot in the shed near those Slicer Dicer bots. He only lasts one encounter but does truly absurd amounts of damage.

That makes sense, but it's still hella obtuse. Thanks.

e: Just tested this - Uuuh, no he does medicore damage and has 50 HP which means he dies after 2 laser hits.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I keep on getting npcs whose skills are redundant, so I respecc them in the character editor because I'm going to have only one master of toaster repair in my squad. :mad:

I love how InExile seems to have realized people would just make a hex editor for saves anyway, so they just gave us XML and saved us the trouble. Seriously I can't remember the last game I played with XML saves.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, it's nice of them. I'm a bit of a grognard so I'm playing through the first time completely blind and rolling with the punches and only reloading on a total party wipe, but it's nice they included that for future playthroughs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish the portraits you made with the camera in creation updated with your new look. I really want to have my top hat visible in my portrait.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Ddraig posted:

Yeah, it's nice of them. I'm a bit of a grognard so I'm playing through the first time completely blind and rolling with the punches and only reloading on a total party wipe, but it's nice they included that for future playthroughs.

Oh same. Seasoned is pretty forgiving so even my blind-statted 74 year old ranger with 1 Str 1 Speed can manage (Leadership so good).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Sorry if this has been asked already, but this thread got pretty big: Is there any way to re-arrange your squad? My 4th character is a melee lady, but I'm finding that frequently a fight breaks out and she is trapped behind or between all of my other characters, making it really difficult to get her into position. This wouldn't be as big a deal if I could delay her turn, but I don't see any option to do that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ddraig posted:

Same here. I've only stopped to check outside sources for additional information when it is clear I am missing something obvious and can't progress because of it. (Like the fact that if I want to travel further into ruined Highpool, I have to follow the barely visible road between the two burning cars.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cicadalek posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but this thread got pretty big: Is there any way to re-arrange your squad? My 4th character is a melee lady, but I'm finding that frequently a fight breaks out and she is trapped behind or between all of my other characters, making it really difficult to get her into position. This wouldn't be as big a deal if I could delay her turn, but I don't see any option to do that.

Whoever you have selected at the moment becomes the point man, which is the closest you can really get.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As a rule, how many skills do you have per character? As in, if you have a 4 int character - corresponding with 3 skill points per level - do you have 1, 2, 3, or more skills for that character?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably an idiot, but is there any way to speak to NPCs that have joined the party? I recruited someone at the AG center and she still had some more lines of conversation.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Lotish posted:

Whoever you have selected at the moment becomes the point man, which is the closest you can really get.

The best way is to initiate combat yourself however - when you spot an enemy, but haven't entered combat mode yet press space for single character movement and position everyone as you want them just out of the enemy spotting range (and crouch all your shooty guys so you don't have to pay 2 ap once combat is on).

Once everything is ready have someone with a long-range weapon take a shot to enter combat mode (and possibly hurt or even kill the first target before spending any actual AP).

Patrolling enemies can sometimes spot you during setup if you're too slow, but even a half-prepared position is better than just waltzing into the encounter.

fezball fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 23, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh also, to anyone who's gotten far-ish in the game: What skills are still useful late game when only leveled up a few points (like 3-4)? I'm guessing something like surgery, barter, and maybe first aid and leadership?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have taken a breadth over depth approach, and have built my team to cover every skill but barter and outdoorsman, so Vulture's cry is actually a valuable npc for me because she doesn't overlap with most of the things I already do, unlike Takayuki who essentially was a worse version of my own heavy.

The effect has been that while my chances of success are not always great, I can interact with everything and so experience is just pouring in.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 23, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

double nine posted:

As a rule, how many skills do you have per character? As in, if you have a 4 int character - corresponding with 3 skill points per level - do you have 1, 2, 3, or more skills for that character?

Depends. You saw the math above - it takes 44 skill points to max a skill, and the max level is 50, so with 3 skill points per level you'll only be able to max around 3 skills (with some wiggle room based on starting skills points and skill books). Which strongly suggests 1 combat + 2 noncombat skills for a 4 int character.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
The glitches and bugs in this game are really starting to wear on me.

...and can someone explain why shooting an energy weapon at someone's torso and head do the same damage? The weapon is essentially useless for average combatants, but when I connect with a headshot it should do more than base damage. Or did I miss something.

The latest glitch was with the DBM after killing Titan followers and giving control of the 'nuke' to them.
Prior to following through with their request I decided to send the other nuke to the rangers and let DBM keep theirs. When I was asked if I wanted to get it for them, I said 'no' and now I can't get out of the conversation. Clicking or typing "goodbye" give the reply, "I don't have time for that."

:emo: he doesn't have time for goodbyes.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kenshin posted:

If you're at the place South of the Prison, you're not supposed to be able to kill those on your own:
If you have a character with high computer science skill, you need to hack the humanoid robot in the shed near those Slicer Dicer bots. He only lasts one encounter but does truly absurd amounts of damage.

Huh what they go down like sacks if you have a couple M16, bullpop snipers and maybe one meson cannon.
That pet guy is just flavour.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Huh what they go down like sacks if you have a couple M16, bullpop snipers and maybe one meson cannon.
That pet guy is just flavour.

If you go there after you've been through Canyon of Titan and areas around it, sure, but when you first have access to it you're unlikely to have that level of weaponry.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Energy weapons are weird. The primary thing is the armor of the target. Some raiders have armor of 4 or so and energy weapons eat them up, but I literally could not kill a cow with my pulse rifle.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

double nine posted:

I did some calculations with how many skills I could get to 10 or 8 at character levels of either 20 or 30, though I have no idea what a realistic level is for end-game as I've been sperging out more than playing. Anyway, unless statues and books make more of a difference than I expect, I’d say that with [x] amount of int, it's best to focus on roughly [y] amount of skills for the first 20-30 levels:

1 int: 1-2 skills
4 int: 2-3 skills
8 int: 3-4 skills
10 int: 4-5 skills

If levels higher than 30 aren't just possible but also plausible and common, the higher int characters benefit far more. Basically, roughly every 10 character levels get you one skill to 6 at 1 int; to 8 at 3 int; almost to 10 at 8 int; and to 10 with 6 points to spare at 10 int.

Edit: Oh and I basically have a full party of 8 and 10 int character. The 8's are characters that have stuff I don't care a lot about, like the rear end-skills and leadership. The 10's are guys that have one main weapon skill, one backup I don't plan to level heavily, roughly 2-3 critical skills only they use, and 1-2 non-critical backup skills like an additional surgeon or medic.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 23, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ulmont posted:

Depends. You saw the math above - it takes 44 skill points to max a skill, and the max level is 50, so with 3 skill points per level you'll only be able to max around 3 skills (with some wiggle room based on starting skills points and skill books). Which strongly suggests 1 combat + 2 noncombat skills for a 4 int character.

But a large portion of those skill points are spent on the last two ranks right? And you can still attempt level 10 checks at 8 ranks (not at home to check)? If you only want to level to 8 then you can probably do several skills with 4 int.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What exactly is the repair depot choice in the Silo 7 options anyways?

beats
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Energy weapons are weird. The primary thing is the armor of the target. Some raiders have armor of 4 or so and energy weapons eat them up, but I literally could not kill a cow with my pulse rifle.

It all comes down to the armor of the enemy and the armor threshold of your energy weapon.

Basically you want to be shooting things above your weapon's threshold. The exact multiplers are listed if you mouse over your weapon, but usually it works out so they do over double damage to targets over the threshold, 90% damage to targets at the threshold and like 40% damage to anything below.

So it's well worth putting some points into a backup weapon for your energy weapons character. I went with SMGs myself, currently if the target's armor is 5 or below I go with her SMG, anything 6 and above I use energy weapons.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Pavlov posted:

But a large portion of those skill points are spent on the last two ranks right? And you can still attempt level 10 checks at 8 ranks (not at home to check)? If you only want to level to 8 then you can probably do several skills with 4 int.

I might as well dump my numbers here.

Per amount of int you'll be able to roughly get this many skills up to 10, numbers rounded, at either level 20 or 30:
1 int: 1.2 at level 20, 1.6 at level 30
4 int: 1.6 at level 20, 2.3 at level 30
8 int: 2 at level 20, 3 at level 30
10 int: 2.5 at level 20, 3.7 at level 30

Or roughly this many skills up to 8:
1 int: 1.7 at level 20, 2.4 at level 30
4 int: 2.4 at level 20, 3.4 at level 30
8 int: 3 at level 20, 4.4 at level 30
10 int: 3.7 at level 20, 5.4 at level 30

Of course, 'rounded numbers' makes this a bit weird because, for example, the last '5.4' number actually means 5 skills at 8, one skill at 4, 1 skill at 1.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 23, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fleve posted:

I did some calculations with how many skills I could get to 10 or 8 at character levels of either 20 or 30, though I have no idea what a realistic level is for end-game as I've been sperging out more than playing. Anyway, unless statues and books make more of a difference than I expect, I’d say that with [x] amount of int, it's best to focus on roughly [y] amount of skills for the first 20-30 levels:

1 int: 1-2 skills
4 int: 2-3 skills
8 int: 3-4 skills
10 int: 4-5 skills

If levels higher than 30 aren't just possible but also plausible and common, the higher int characters benefit far more. Basically, roughly every 10 character levels get you one skill to 6 at 1 int; to 8 at 3 int; almost to 10 at 8 int; and to 10 with 6 points to spare at 10 int.

My guess is that if you do a lot in the game you're going to get all your characters well into the mid-30s, possibly the low 40s. I'm only a little ways into California and most of my party is around level 28, and I have to be careful which areas I wander to because I'm a bit outclassed (and out-HP'd) by a lot of enemies here.

You'll probably hit ~20-22 by the time you finish Arizona if you've done most of the content.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How are you supposed to reach Damonta? On my first trip to the Prison area I turned back at the sight of giant turrets and a white marked line...

vvv .. ok.. so.. how do I reach Damonta?

I just got done with Rail Nomads, which was all too easy. Which of Damonta and Darwin's Village is lower level?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

PirateBob posted:

How are you supposed to reach Damonta? On my first trip to the Prison area I turned back at the sight of giant turrets and a white marked line...

Don't worry, you can't do that part of the prison until later, when you're done with Damonta.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kenshin posted:

If you go there after you've been through Canyon of Titan and areas around it, sure, but when you first have access to it you're unlikely to have that level of weaponry.

Sure you can. You can get the M16s by the time you return to Citadel, since they sell them there and the issue is more one of cash (but then, with the ability to earn cash by selling specific items to the different people at HQ, that shouldn't be a problem either). And you can pick up your first Meson Cannon in the prison area if you look around a little. Sure, it'll probably be stiffer opposition than you've faced yet — and will face in a while — but it is entirely doable.

Re: skill chat.

I'm thinking that for my inevitable second play-through, I'll simply not allocate ever any points unless strictly needed, and even then spread them out after the fact rather than plan beforehand.

The way I see it, you can divide the skills into three main categories: survival skills (weapons, healing, perception) which go on everyone, utility skills (picklock, safecrack, demolitions, alarm disarm), and “interesting effects” skills (everything else) both of which just go on one character. The survival skills go up every now and then as fights become harder and you get more MAXCON, or just access to better healing items with higher skill reqs. The utility skills go up exactly one second before they're needed to unlock something. The interesting effects skills are about the same, but because you notice a case where they'd be useful — i.e. new fun animals, particularly good dialogue options. And then you just dole them out to whomever has skill points and who doesn't already overlap in the same general area.

That lets the game dictate the progression and lets you off the hook as far as pre-planning everything on the starting screen — there's much less need to worry about exactly which skills to aim high for when you just defer that choice to whenever it becomes necessary.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 23, 2014

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
Is it me, or are there more and more bugs as the story goes on.

Look! It's Dale, that stoner hippi who wanted goop from you, lying dead here in Damonta. <Go back to Titan> "Hey man, got any goop?"

I'd rather be waiting another month or 3 than to be playing this as buggy as it is. Looks like poo poo quality sent out on release day really is the new industry standard....

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

What exactly is the repair depot choice in the Silo 7 options anyways?

That entire mission is hosed up from what it's looking like.

If you listen to what DBM says after you disarmed the first Titan *THEN* decline the offer your game can get stuck in a conversation loop with no exit.
If you don't hear him out and just leave so you can send the 2nd nuke to Ranger HQ the option on the computer is replaced with Repair Depot (the other is Silo 8 or Temple of Titan's Silo).

-e-
Repair depot is where DBM wants you to send it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

Is it me, or are there more and more bugs as the story goes on.

Look! It's Dale, that stoner hippi who wanted goop from you, lying dead here in Damonta. <Go back to Titan> "Hey man, got any goop?"

I'd rather be waiting another month or 3 than to be playing this as buggy as it is. Looks like poo poo quality sent out on release day really is the new industry standard....

Gonna have to agree. I've already run into a huge, gamebreaking bug where it's not possible to advance because of reasons. My monk got killed by chance so I had to fight through encounters that would break the Titan's Peace and when I got to the temple I ran into a bug where I didn't get any new containers so had to reload an autosave at the start where, for reasons undetermined they decided to give me the extra containers for the tribute+ that I didn't get first time around.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Gonna have to agree. I've already run into a huge, gamebreaking bug where it's not possible to advance because of reasons. My monk got killed by chance so I had to fight through encounters that would break the Titan's Peace and when I got to the temple I ran into a bug where I didn't get any new containers so had to reload an autosave at the start where, for reasons undetermined they decided to give me the extra containers for the tribute+ that I didn't get first time around.

There are are lot more with this entire region and it's infuriating.

I'm debating just scrapping my saves uninstalling the game and waiting for 10 to 20 patches down the road before playing again. Maybe then I wont need to chain smoke to keep myself from raging.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

There are are lot more with this entire region and it's infuriating.

I'm debating just scrapping my saves uninstalling the game and waiting for 10 to 20 patches down the road before playing again. Maybe then I wont need to chain smoke to keep myself from raging.

Yeah. I really like the game and really think it was still released prematurely. There's a huge amount of scripting in the game and it's a huge amount of work to debug all of it, but Brian Fargo should have known what he was signing up for. I hope a few patches are forthcoming to clean up a bunch of scripting bugs. I've postponed my LA section while waiting for at least one big bugfix patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The bugs that are getting on my nerves right now are that some of my characters are ignoring the swap weapons command unless I select them individually, and I'm followed by perpetually respawning angry cows that give some of my characters stat boosts but also count as enemies for purposes of pressure on my snipers and assaults riflers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Maybe then I wont need to chain smoke to keep myself from raging.

If a point and click video game is driving you to raging and chainsmoking, maybe you should lay off the video game, it's bad for your health.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Lotish posted:

The bugs that are getting on my nerves right now are that some of my characters are ignoring the swap weapons command unless I select them individually, and I'm followed by perpetually respawning angry cows that give some of my characters stat boosts but also count as enemies for purposes of pressure on my snipers and assaults riflers.

Sometimes they'll switch but not really. This has actually been amazing, like when Angela Deth ran out of ammo from burst-firing her HK and switched to her wrench, but all her attacks played a shooting animation (with the wrench) and did HK burst-fire damage on every "swing".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

If a point and click video game is driving you to raging and chainsmoking, maybe you should lay off the video game, it's bad for your health.

Eh, anytime you're asked to devote a sizable amount of time to something, if over the course of it you're forced to repeat parts of it or whatever it can get pretty annoying.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So whats the chances of the developers actually releasing some bug fixes in the future? Do they have any intentions of releasing more campaigns or anything like shadowrun?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I like to imagine how much they wrangled with that piece of poo poo unity/mono and how many coder monkeys almost drank themselves to death over it. loving Linux/Mac backer assholes.

Game is a year late and still falls apart towards the end of the beta content :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Haha, in Titan's Canyon a mad monk's explosion blew away my character's clothes

This place is trouble.

• Locked thread