Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
And minecraft came out in 2009, but it wasn't a cultural phenomenon in 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At least Thumbs talks about good board games so they get a pass. What's that game with the bomb that everyone is talking about?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 23, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/30/5357292/keep-talking-and-nobody-explodes-oculus-rift-vr

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Or Two Rooms and a Boom: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/134352/two-rooms-and-boom

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

al-azad posted:

At least Thumbs talks about good board games so they get a pass. What's that game with the bomb that everyone is talking about?

Or if you're taking about Thumbs and board games maybe Two Rooms and a Boom which seems cool but requires a pretty large group.

E: beaaaateeen

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yes, this. Player size is fine it will probably replace nights when everyone wants to play Resistance or One Night Werewolf.

Keep Talking is cool too, it's the kind of games I want to see that are unique to the medium.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

So many people who think they are funny. Why the gently caress does GBS even exist anymore? It's literally worse than Reddit and 4chan put together. At least on those sites you don't have the awkward SA pretentiousness mixed in with the "witty" dialogue.

I think GBS is trying to be FYAD from 10+ years ago, but it's still GBS.

Also, if I could figure out the BUILD engine back when I was 14, I'm pretty sure today's kids can do whatever the hell they want with Minecraft.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I don't think, nor did I say, that "kids today are too dumb to install Minecraft mods". I just challenge the carelessly tossed-off assumption that "everybody who plays Minecraft uses mods," because I just don't think it's true.

In this, as in all things, I could be wrong. I don't think anybody on either side really has the data to back it up.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's cool, I didn't listen to the podcast episode in question--I just generally think people (outside of our nerdy circles) really underestimate what kids are capable of.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't know if it means anything but when I played Minecraft on and off for a bit before it went into beta I never played online and never with any mods. I just can't imagine mods being considered a core gameplay experience of Minecraft.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I was bored of minecraft, I downloaded a pre-Tekkit(the nuclear reactors-and-such modpack) Yogbox pack that included, among other things, 100 new animals/enemies, 12 different types of creepers, NPC villages that you can actively improve by supplying raw materials, massive randomly-generated dungeons, boss monsters, a dozen new biomes or more, easily 200 new block types and like a thousand new crafting recipes, tons of new equipment, map generation, etc. It turned Minecraft from an amazing idea into one of the best things I've ever played.

Then I accidentally updated Minecraft and it corrupted everything and :smith:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The best time I had playing Minecraft was when I installed Mystcraft. Then, like Captain Invictus, an update broke everything.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've only played Minecraft vanilla because I'm pretty sure I'd spend hours finding the right mods and then an update would come out and corrupt everything.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I haven't played Minecraft a whole lot in the last 2-3 years, and I haven't really played Vanilla since the 1.0 update. I used to love it but over time the things about it that annoyed me started to bug me more and more (the combat, being the biggest fault) and the things I enjoyed about it lost their luster.

With Microsoft purchasing Mojang maybe they can fix a few problems that Mojang never did, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: An the best time I had with Minecraft was playing this Equivalent Exchange mod that turns the game into some sort of power collecting race to become a god.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

When Idle Thumbs ran a Minecraft server it was ALWAYS modded, but that was because it needed to have admin tools and toggles that were not in vanilla minecraft. Tools for admin access, for who was allowed access to dynamite and spreading fire, etc. That probably isnt the kind of mod you guys are talking about, though.

That said, I think we would all be surprised by how many kids install mods into their copies of Minecraft, and how much that is just a part of the fun. I was older than the average Minecraft-playing kid when Quake 1/QuakeWorld was a thing (I was in early high school) but almost the entire delight of that game was scavenging the internet for mods and patching them in and then bringing them and our PCs to a friends house to experience them on a LAN. Vanilla Quake was always fun enough, but as a group of friends, the "real" game almost entirely became mixing and matching mods and trying to make the game be weird and fun in temporarily insane ways, then running around in that world together. Given the crazy poo poo people mod into Minecraft, and given my experience with Quake 1 15 years ago, there HAS to be some similar motivation going on.

(Also the anecdote passed to us in an Idle Thumbs reader mail about kids in the playground playing "Minecraft" and one kid yelling "NO MODS" when someone invented a random item, speaks to the high odds that a lot of kids mod MC. If that is true that makes me the happiest person in the world, because that is NOT something that maps to my childhood at all. We dicked around with Quake mods but Quake is just a different thing than Minecraft. Its like if a game the popularity of Mario was also a game that kids just routinely hacked and passed around. I want to play video games in 15-20 years when these kids are the ones making them.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Modding Minecraft consists of downloading a third-party launcher and clicking "Play"

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
The learning curve for Minecraft is way too big, now. I played it when it was in Beta or something and you could make torches, ladders, the tools, etc. Now there's just too much you need to know how to do and it's intimidating.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How complex is vanilla Minecraft nowadays? I stopped paying attention a while ago because I just don't have the creativity or attention span to spend hours building some awesome castle, but I remember the vanilla version being super barebones for the longest time, and seeing almost trivial gameplay changes touted as big updates. Is there an actual game there now, or is it still mostly just a big sandbox that now has a lot more materials to play with?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know how old people whine about "kids these days"? That's you guys in the thread right now.

I've never played Minecraft because I opted to get Starcraft 2 and gave myself carpel tunnel syndrome instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can think of a few things that would easily make Microsoft millions of dollars that they might not think of but hell if I'm posting those thoughts publicly :v:

pseudorandom name posted:

Modding Minecraft consists of downloading a third-party launcher and clicking "Play"
Yeah, it used to be way harder but these days it's basically brainless.

augustus gluten posted:

The learning curve for Minecraft is way too big, now. I played it when it was in Beta or something and you could make torches, ladders, the tools, etc. Now there's just too much you need to know how to do and it's intimidating.
You could grab a recipe book mod or something if you really wanted. :v:

VDay posted:

How complex is vanilla Minecraft nowadays? I stopped paying attention a while ago because I just don't have the creativity or attention span to spend hours building some awesome castle, but I remember the vanilla version being super barebones for the longest time, and seeing almost trivial gameplay changes touted as big updates. Is there an actual game there now, or is it still mostly just a big sandbox that now has a lot more materials to play with?
Notch added an "endgame" in that you fight a boss and incredibly inane and insane credits roll basically to stick his tongue out at people who say it's "not a game"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Honestly this is the coolest thing and hearing the Idle Thumbs group talk about it made me excited for the Oculus Rift for the first time as far as something I actually want to play that could only be done with a system like this goes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Honestly this is the coolest thing and hearing the Idle Thumbs group talk about it made me excited for the Oculus Rift for the first time as far as something I actually want to play that could only be done with a system like this goes.
Couldn't you do the exact same thing with just a normal computer as long as only the player looks at the monitor and the other players stand somewhere where they can't be seen? As the article notes you could even do it over Skype.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I really wonder if in the 1950s there were people who would scream blue about how "Lego isn't even a toy, it's just some poo poo you stick together!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Couldn't you do the exact same thing with just a normal computer as long as only the player looks at the monitor and the other players stand somewhere where they can't be seen? As the article notes you could even do it over Skype.

Look at this scrub who ain't never worn an Oculus Rift. (not being snarky, but it's really different than just another monitor)

Also, having it be a physical game with prop controls + the Oculus and paper instructions, you can't do cheesy bullshit like CTRL+F and it adds a layer of clumsiness to the game.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Phone posted:

Look at this scrub who ain't never worn an Oculus Rift. (not being snarky, but it's really different than just another monitor)

Also, having it be a physical game with prop controls + the Oculus and paper instructions, you can't do cheesy bullshit like CTRL+F and it adds a layer of clumsiness to the game.

Desirable attributes of peripherals and I/O devices: layers of clumsiness.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, that's disingenuous of you to say but the fact that modding is so prevalent even amongst children who play Minecraft is an awesome thing. Hell, I spent most of my teenage years modding Counter-Strike, then the Source Engine. Granted, I kinda gave up on it, but I can imagine, and I do know many people who did come out of that and started making their own poo poo. I still dip in and out of following the mod scene and where people have went and it's not surprising people who grew up with games that could be modded like GoldSrc/Source/Unreal went on to also make games of their own, or at least to leading more ambitious projects.

Trust me, at least one kid is gonna download a mod, not like particular aspect of it and decides to learn how to mod to change it to his liking. And then he builds on that. And then we probably are anticipating a game from him in like 10 years.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sober posted:

Well, that's disingenuous of you to say but the fact that modding is so prevalent even amongst children who play Minecraft is an awesome thing.

There's nothing disingenuous about it, that's how you play modded Minecraft -- you get the Technic Launcher or Feed The Beast or ATLauncher or whatever the launcher de jeur is, choose a modpack, and click play. There's basically no skill involved and any ten year old savvy enough to start Minecraft will be able to do it with no effort.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Phone posted:

I didn't mean you'd replace the physical binder with other stuff. I meant you'd replace the virtual reality headset with something equally artificial. Perhaps if the Oculus Rift really makes you feel like YOU ARE THERE and the Razer Hydras actually make it feel like YOU ARE TOUCHING THE BOMB then you can't really make the same game without those, but I would have guessed that the most interesting part of the game is cooperating between the two teams and flipping through that binder looking for something that matches the bomb defuser's descriptions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They've apparently made the game to use a different controller, but keeping the paper manual is a must at least. It's hard to describe how isolated it feels when you have the Oculus Rift on and one of the main advantages is not being able to cheat the game at all. It's basically the anti-Screen Cheat game.

You are right that the driving force behind the game is the asymmetric data on both the player and the "experts".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This isn't a podcast, but I wish it were. Leigh Alexander has been doing these super chilled-out let's plays of old adventure games. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmdWb8RDcvMNIeA-umQJ0KA

I don't receive ASMR shivers or any of that, but I'm going to find a way to strip these into MP3's, transcode them way down, and put them on my ancient 128MB iRiver player, listen to 'em while I nap.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

TetsuoTW posted:

I really wonder if in the 1950s there were people who would scream blue about how "Lego isn't even a toy, it's just some poo poo you stick together!"

Erector set? That's just some bullshit scraps from my shed floor, it ain't no "toy"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Phone posted:

They've apparently made the game to use a different controller, but keeping the paper manual is a must at least. It's hard to describe how isolated it feels when you have the Oculus Rift on and one of the main advantages is not being able to cheat the game at all. It's basically the anti-Screen Cheat game.

You are right that the driving force behind the game is the asymmetric data on both the player and the "experts".

Yeah, I don't know what the Razor is and I've personally never used a Rift, but just the idea of using it as an "isolation chamber" of sorts away from the other person with the binder just felt like a brilliant idea. Especially with the trope of a guy defusing the bomb talking to someone who actually has the information, which sounds like it'll end up being pretty hilarious since the "expert" is just your friend frantically going through a binder of information.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It seems a little weird to me that nobody has mentioned that Thumbs Network Three Moves Ahead cohost Tom Chick is battling cancer and has a crowdfunding campaign here so there you go.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Al! posted:

It seems a little weird to me that nobody has mentioned that Thumbs Network Three Moves Ahead cohost Tom Chick is battling cancer and has a crowdfunding campaign here so there you go.

I just saw that a few mins ago, poor tom.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
oh gently caress
drat...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Pretty sure somewhere, someone on the internet is celebrating that because Tom Chick gave a game he didn't like an actual bad score.

I loving hate to say it, but it's probably true.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Also ten year olds, unlike many adults, are also smart enough to type "how to install texture pack" or similar into youtube and get multiple hundreds of videos with step-by-step instructions.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

I was older than the average Minecraft-playing kid when Quake 1/QuakeWorld was a thing (I was in early high school) but almost the entire delight of that game was scavenging the internet for mods and patching them in and then bringing them and our PCs to a friends house to experience them on a LAN. Vanilla Quake was always fun enough, but as a group of friends, the "real" game almost entirely became mixing and matching mods and trying to make the game be weird and fun in temporarily insane ways, then running around in that world together. Given the crazy poo poo people mod into Minecraft, and given my experience with Quake 1 15 years ago, there HAS to be some similar motivation going on.

Oh man, this was like an instant memory bomb for me. So many days/nights spent with TF1 and the Killer Quake Pack. It even inspired me to make my own mod though it never went very far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Oh man, this was like an instant memory bomb for me. So many days/nights spent with TF1 and the Killer Quake Pack. It even inspired me to make my own mod though it never went very far.

I will never forget walking into Babbages and picking up illicit map packs for Duke Nukem 3D which were 90% empty multiplayer maps.

"OVER 500 MAPS INCLUDED!"
"EXPANSION PACK TO THE GREATEST FPS EVER!"

Yeah gently caress you, why does the Duke Nukem license make people go crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember setting up Quake so it would work over the LAN at my Dad's office. Three of us would play constantly, which was probably not good for his business at the time. Then I discovered mouselook, and all of a sudden they couldn't keep up. Then I found the grappling hook mod, and they stopped playing me completely.

Mods ruined my childhood, is what I'm saying.

• Locked thread