Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What I'm saying is fire Zack Ryder and rehire Percy Watson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tyson Tomko posted:

You could make a similar argument for the Million Dollar Playas or whatever Titus and Daren Young were called. They didn't do NEAR the work Ryder did to get over (because Ryder did 99.9999% of it making random youtube videos in his apartment with his Dad and Big-O) but still got crazy rear end over with the crowd. Titus tapped into a charisma nobody knew he had (remember the "make it a win!" speech haha). The tag division was reborn (for a few months than faded away, imagine that) and every time they on camera or mentioned the camera man would have about a million people to choose from doing the Millions of Dollas dance.

WWE: "Alright these guys are mega over, Titus of all people is cutting badass promos and they are hilarious, these dudes have incredible chemistry, we're loving the URRA URRA URRA bark, everyone in and out of the WWE is doing their dance...time for Titus to go it on his own!" Ok so maybe it's not that related but I'm just as pissed about it.

like many things from the early part of this year, blame Batista for this

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I really don't see the upside for WWE keeping Ryder on its payroll. It's not like he's gonna bolt to TNA or something and be amazing. If they have no plans for the dude, why keep him around? If they need jobbers, plenty of other people around can fill that roll.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Prime Time Players god drat dude get it right.

I think it was Pancake Patterson and Black Cena actually.

MAN that was another thing they could have rolled with for a while, the black Cena gimmick. They teased it here and there but only scratched the surface on the fun potential that could have been.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, the Prime Time Players would have won the tag belts ages ago if not for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgjZ-rI8ZY

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DM Punk posted:

I really don't see the upside for WWE keeping Ryder on its payroll. It's not like he's gonna bolt to TNA or something and be amazing. If they have no plans for the dude, why keep him around? If they need jobbers, plenty of other people around can fill that roll.

TNA signed Brodus Clay. They will take ANY WWE castoff and push them to the moon.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

tna's dead though

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
People were dressing up as Zack in audiences every week. People were constantly spamming WWEShop with inquiries as to when Broski headbands would be available. People were chanting "Woo Woo Woo" and "We Want Zack" during important segments that had nothing to do with him.

That's more than you can say of the Bella Twins or Adam Rose or even someone like Randy Orton at times, or any of the other acts they desperately want us to care about without actually desperately trying to get us to on your average 150 minutes of RAW.

No matter what you think of his wrestling (and let's be honest, it was never spectacular,) the simple fact of the matter is that he got over, and they responded by squandering it. Outright defying it, making him a crippled cuckold to man audiences have been sick of for years.

And you know what? You're right. Why not embrace Percy Watson's OH YEAH!? Why not embrace the Prime Time Players and their MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!? Why not embrace Mark Henry doing that arm lift thing that the whole crowd was doing by the end of that one random episode of RAW?

If they had instead embraced it, who knows what could happened. Nobody's saying World Heavyweight Champion here, but I think that's precisely the problem. These days, if you're not a WHC contender, then who cares? That's why we're at a point where they have no plan for Hell in a Cell and have to write RAW as it's airing.

Now I've gone and done it again, so while looking for an update on the Jervis/Stoya situation, came across this:

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

Now I've gone and done it again, so while looking for an update on the Jervis/Stoya situation, came across this:

Yeah, Jervis aint losing that match.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So I'm assuming Jervis isn't the same guy returning under the hood and actually a new student? Also is his bowler hat part of his mask?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Joey Styles live tweeted the Monday Night War episode about ECW.

https://twitter.com/JoeyStyles

I especially liked:

\

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rooooooooollerjaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

So I'm assuming Jervis isn't the same guy returning under the hood and actually a new student? Also is his bowler hat part of his mask?

The original Jervis only lasted for three matches in Chikara before getting kicked out for shady backstage stuff (as opposed to the lame and petty backstage stuff Chikara's known for excommunicating people for). Then he returned to England and went back to wrestling as TJ Cain, occasionally returning to the Cottonbelly gimmick.

The current Jervis in Chikara is a student, though he's been around since 2012. Sadly, he no longer has the Mr. Belvedere theme when he walks to the ring.

And no, the bowler isn't part of his mask.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RIP Rufus "Pancake" Patterson

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Quick, somebody get Eric Bischoff into prosthetics, stat!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want them to change Paige's gimmick to someone who has never had a friend before and literally does not understand what being someone's friend entailed. That would explain all her behavior with AJ, and lead to several other storylines where people mislead and take advantage of her by lying about what it is.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I want them to change Paige's gimmick to someone who has never had a friend before and literally does not understand what being someone's friend entailed. That would explain all her behavior with AJ, and lead to several other storylines where people mislead and take advantage of her by lying about what it is.

stop projecting

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yes every female performer in WWE should be on the autism spectrum.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TheJoker138 posted:

Sting can be her mentor because he totally never had issues with his friends mistreating him.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oatgan posted:

stop projecting

:thurman:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Sting can be her mentor because he totally never had issues with his friends mistreating him.

Paige in The Crow face paint with a baseball bat is my favorite gimmick now.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes every female performer in WWE should be on the autism spectrum.

What does the spectrum look like, five million slightly different shades of the same color?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

The Bee posted:

Paige in The Crow face paint with a baseball bat is my favorite gimmick now.

I never knew I wanted this, but holy poo poo.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
To be honest you can put anyone in the sentence "[x] in The Crow face paint with a baseball bat" and it'll be awesome.

ed: okay maybe not Eva Marie
ed2: no wait I'd kinda like to see Eva Marie try it just for morbid curiosity.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

pressedbunny posted:

To be honest you can put anyone in the sentence "[x] in The Crow face paint with a baseball bat" and it'll be awesome.

John Cena

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pressedbunny posted:

I always wanted Chris Masters in Ultimate Warrior facepaint and I'll never know why.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I've actually considered before that Sting could conceivably pass on the Crow gimmick to an up and coming wrestler. Have him go all vengeance on a heel Starrcade 97 style and have the heel disappear for a year only to come back as the new Sting

This could either work or be terrible but it's such a great gimmick it would suck if it only got one WWE match tops. I've considered them doing something similar for the Undertaker but I don't see the fans embracing it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Oh and there also should have been a new Kane about 4 years ago and he should have never been unmasked :awesomelon:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

pressedbunny posted:

Eva wears enough makeup that it counts as facepaint.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

if you wanted to make sure Eva Marie never wrestles again, turning her into crow sting is a good place to start

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

if you wanted to make sure Eva Marie never wrestles again, turning her into crow sting is a good place to start

Yeah, no wrestling or talking, it's the perfect gimmick for her.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

That DICK! posted:

I've actually considered before that Sting could conceivably pass on the Crow gimmick to an up and coming wrestler. Have him go all vengeance on a heel Starrcade 97 style

So he'd lose clean to them?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

Hey man, that poo poo ruled right up until the match started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Hey, that was a fast count! Bret Hart mumbled so!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That DICK! posted:

Hey man, that poo poo ruled right up until the match started.

When a man's heart is full of defeat...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

oatgan posted:

She'll gently caress up pointing a bat somehow. God help us if they put her anywhere near the rafters.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TheJoker138 posted:

Pretty sure this is the GOB storyline from Arrested Development season 4.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DM Punk posted:

He's not on TV that often but he makes the rounds on the house show circuit as a face jobber to heels with midcard titles. When the Shield were still together he would challenge for Ambrose's US title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ryder got himself over as a character so I'm not all that surprised that fans didn't respond to his random matches or terrible storylines with Eve and Cena. It goes back to that old Heyman/ECW flaw WWE has. Heyman wasn't a genius and ECW wasn't perfect but Heyman understand that when he had limited talents he should focus on their positives and hide their negatives. WWE doesn't work like that. They want every talent to fit into their set molds and ideas and if you don't that's all she wrote.

Ryder should have been cutting weekly promos like his youtube bits and played up the same character while having some stories that mixed in with it. If they wanted to see if Ryder would work on a larger scale they should have let him do what was working on a smaller scale. That wasn't random matches and bad soap stories.