Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
145. and baars is a legit 65 kg, having pretty much outgrown 63 kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

david carmichael posted:

I think we should follow ugly, stupid yuriy's example

lol

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

yea okay agree with the guy who has some weird little hard on for me and tries to pick fights here and the ufc thread

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Shut up shut up shut up

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/wsof-announces-pay-per-view-plans-revenue-split-with-fighters

WSOF is gonna try running pay-per-views

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/23/6832599/wsof-15-moved-to-nov-15-goes-head-to-head-with-ufc-180-and-bellator

also running an event against UFC and Bellator for 15, against just the UFC for WSOF 16

they're running yushin okami vs david branch against the goshdang Cain/Werdum fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
You have to imagine that they have some kind of angle or plan in doing this because this seems completely absurd.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/wsof-announces-pay-per-view-plans-revenue-split-with-fighters

WSOF is gonna try running pay-per-views

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/23/6832599/wsof-15-moved-to-nov-15-goes-head-to-head-with-ufc-180-and-bellator

also running an event against UFC and Bellator for 15, against just the UFC for WSOF 16

they're running yushin okami vs david branch against the goshdang Cain/Werdum fight

WSOF banking on UFC injury replacements and who the gently caress wants to see Bonnar/Ortiz. Kinda smart, really.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

david carmichael posted:

You have to imagine that they have some kind of angle or plan in doing this because this seems completely absurd.

My guess is that they will run early before the UFC PPV again, in an attempt to steal more possible viewers from Bellator.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Yuriy posted:

yea okay agree with the guy who has some weird little hard on for me and tries to pick fights here and the ufc thread

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

coconono posted:

WSOF banking on UFC injury replacements and who the gently caress wants to see Bonnar/Ortiz. Kinda smart, really.

man, i wanna see bonnar/ortiz, there's no way it isn't weird or funny

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw somewhere on twitter earlier today that NBC pushed for the Nov 15 date and WSOF really didn't want to do it.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
Invicta FC 9 full card is now up:
November 1st, RiverCenter in Davenport, Iowa

• Flyweight Title fight: Barb Honchak (9-2) (c) vs. Takayo Hashi (15-4)
Hashi is actually a pretty decent challenger, far better than Yasuko Tamada was anyway, but Honchak is the one active Flyweight who I think could take out a few top 10 Bantamweights. Honchak should be the heavy favorite here. I assume the winner could face DeAnna Bennet next

• Strawweight fight: Mizuki Inoue (8-1, 1 NC) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (5-0)
I'm kind of surprised this fight was made. I figured Inoue would come back since she said she wanted to do at least one more fight in Invicta. However, I thought she'd be given someone less valuable, since the UFC has made it obvious they want to sign her, and Kowalkiewicz is surging right now. This appears to be an eliminator for Kankaanpaa's title. Inoue should be the modest favorite here.

• Atomweight fight: Ayaka Hamasaki (10-1) vs. Herica Tiburcio (8-2)
This is a pretty competitive match-up between two formerly highly-ranked Strawweights and is another likely title eliminator. I would think Hamasaki is the slight favorite. Either of these fighters would be an interesting challenge to Waterson, as they're both very tough grapplers.

• Bantamweight fight: Kaitlin Young (7-8-1) vs. Cindy Dandois (5-1)
Belgian judoka Cindy Dandois has a win over Marloes Coenen but that was a long time ago and she's coming off a very long layoff. Young is definitely past her peak though. This is a toss-up really, too many X-factors. I'd have to lean towards Dandois though since my understanding is she's been training with Miesha Tate, who has brought some other very good female fighters to Xtreme Couture as well including Leslie Smith. Invicta's BW roster is so weak right now that if Dandois won, I assume she'd be in contention right away (although I'm not sure how they're going to deal with Cyborg right now).

• Atomweight fight: Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc (8-7) vs. Jodie Esquibel (4-1)
Rivera-Calanoc is a lot better than her record indicates as she spent most of her career at higher weight classes, and her losses include people like Jessica Penne, Felice Herrig, and Angela Magana. She's hardly a world-beater, even at AW, and Esquibel should be the favorite. This is kind of an interesting match-up since it definitely seems to be a match made to help establish the AW pecking order. The winner here could be one more win away from a title shot. I have to consider Esquibel about a solid favorite here.

• Atomweight fight: Amber Brown (3-1) vs. Liz McCarthy (2-1)
See above: Amber Brown is a top 5 Atomweight in theory, and McCarthy (6-0 amateur) is a pretty good prospect. If Brown and Esquibel win their matches, I might expect to see them fight each other at Invicta 11 for the title shot-after-next. I do have to consider Brown the favorite here.

• Featherweight fight: Amanda Bell (2-2) vs. Maria Hougaard-Djursaa (5-5)
Featherweight is a division in desperate need of some fresh blood and Amanda Bell, who was 6-1 as an amateur, is coming off a win over Marina Shafir. Hougard-Djursaa is Danish journeywoman who has some wins and losses against tough competition, but Bell should be a solid favorite here.

• Flyweight fight: Shannon Sinn (1-1) vs. Andrea K. Lee (1-0)
I dunno who either of these people are.

• Strawweight fight: Jenny Liou Shriver (2-0) vs. Jamie Moyle (0-0)
Jenny Liou Shriver, who's a pretty drat big SW, apparently did pretty well at the TUF tryouts where Julie Kedzie scouted her but not good enough to make the show. She may be one to watch. I dunno who Jamie Moyle is.

• Bantamweight fight: Kelly McGill (1-0) vs. Maegan Goodwin (0-0)
I've never heard of either of these fighters.

So, with Cyborg dropping to 135 and presumably UFC-bound after that, Honchak is getting her due as the _other_ major title-holder in Invicta besides Michelle Waterson. Beyond that is seems that they're trying to crystallize the AW pecking order, trying to create a SW contender, and just maybe develop some future contenders at BW and FW. LWs are not represented on this card, but LW is a micro-division right now.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2014

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Bean Fried, I know you get a lot of poo poo for following the women's stuff so closely, but I'm glad someone does. Your write ups make me far more likely to watch an event.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah, good writeup. Would read again.

How many women does Meisha Tate have training with her at this point? It seems like on every card or event which has more than one womens' fight, someone is "training with Meisha" (Pena, Clarke, off the top of my head. There was at least one on Invicta 8). All cracks about her striking, wrestling, and grappling aside, she's beginning to assemble something that looks like a female team with a bit more depth than a puddle. Which is actually kind of cool, especially if they can get some real coaches supporting it.

I've seen some discussion lately about whether women should train mostly with men or with other women, and it was weighing greater male strength vs the greater similarity of female training partners to live competition.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, good writeup. Would read again.

How many women does Meisha Tate have training with her at this point? It seems like on every card or event which has more than one womens' fight, someone is "training with Meisha" (Pena, Clarke, off the top of my head. There was at least one on Invicta 8). All cracks about her striking, wrestling, and grappling aside, she's beginning to assemble something that looks like a female team with a bit more depth than a puddle. Which is actually kind of cool, especially if they can get some real coaches supporting it.

Bean might be able to correct me on this but I think it ultimately boils down to that she just jumps around from camp to camp. She used to be an honorary Alpha Male, but then spent time in WA (forget the name of the camp, I think Chiesa and Silcilia fight out of it too) with Pena, I've also seen her at Syndicate (or Extreme Couture?) in Las Vegas, and more recently in Belgium.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Bean Fried posted:

• Strawweight fight: Jenny Liou Shriver (2-0) vs. Jamie Moyle (0-0)
Jenny Liou Shriver, who's a pretty drat big SW, apparently did pretty well at the TUF tryouts where Julie Kedzie scouted her but not good enough to make the show. She may be one to watch. I dunno who Jamie Moyle is.

Just to add on: Jamie Moyle won the four-woman Tuff-N-Uff amateur tournament this summer to get a spot on the Invicta roster. She also fought Tecia Torres when they were both amateurs.

Still pulling for Shriver to win, though, because I was hoping to see her on TUF.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

man, i wanna see bonnar/ortiz, there's no way it isn't weird or funny

The best part of that fight is the anticipation that it might not actually happen.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Bean might be able to correct me on this but I think it ultimately boils down to that she just jumps around from camp to camp. She used to be an honorary Alpha Male, but then spent time in WA (forget the name of the camp, I think Chiesa and Silcilia fight out of it too) with Pena, I've also seen her at Syndicate (or Extreme Couture?) in Las Vegas, and more recently in Belgium.

Tate seems to have found a pretty good home at Xtreme Couture, since the gym's relevancy was seriously fading and she's a big name active fighter who was able to bring in others. Also I don't think she ever officially trained at Sikjitsu with Pena, Sicilia, and Chiesa in Spokane. Following their split from Team Alpha Male, she and her spouse trained at Victory Athletics in Takoma, I think under Dennis Hallman or something.

Didn't know she went to Belgium, but apparently she brought back Cindy Dandois with her as a souvenir or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lmao Bryan Caraway is not her spouse

Also she was seen with Dandois at Invicta 6 or 7.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the bean don't watch fights?

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NEBRASKA IS IN THE BUILDING

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Lol I can't believe this is going ahead, JT just had a baby and all the drama that comes with it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

:getin:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

willie_dee posted:

Lol I can't believe this is going ahead, JT just had a baby and all the drama that comes with it.

Baby's ain't cheap.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

willie_dee posted:

Please do your job as #1 stalker and make sure he doesn't take parenting tips from Houston.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This was just posted in the grappling thread, but I imagine it could be worth posting here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxdmohwNtE

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 24, 2014

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that's loving cool and i'm all for people finding ways to give sakuraba money in ways that don't shave years off his life

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The ufc is severely loving up if they don't get metamoris on fight pass

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I am keen to know what sakuraba's training is currently like, and also what is like 5 and 10 years ago

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DekeThornton posted:

This was just posted in the grappling thread, but I imagine it could be worth posting here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxdmohwNtE

My first thought on this video is, I'm glad his ear reattached ok.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

I am keen to know what sakuraba's training is currently like, and also what is like 5 and 10 years ago

Menthol-based, I think.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

david carmichael posted:

here you go.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
As long as the three pillars of his diet remain intact I'm not concerned

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

coconono posted:

The best part of that fight is the anticipation that it might not actually happen.

If there's one thing we learned about MMA this year, it's that fights that don't happen can sometimes be the weirdest/funniest fights of them all.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
is rory really fighting and i wonder what the secret match is

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

is rory really fighting and i wonder what the secret match is

Last time the secret match was Baret Yoshida vs Jeff Glover, who is also one of the announcers. He stripped off his suit to reveal tights and ran down to the mat.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

1st AD posted:

Lmao Bryan Caraway is not her spouse

Also she was seen with Dandois at Invicta 6 or 7.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the bean don't watch fights?

Think you could explain to me how mistaking Miesha Tate's fiance for her spouse and how Cindy Dandois having been at Invicta 6 and 7 translates into me not watching fights?

I'm quite aware that Dandois and Tate have been hanging out together off and on for almost a year now. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that Dandois and Tate have been training together in Vegas. I didn't know Tate went to Belgium at some point as well, thus I made a joke about picking up Dandois as a souvenir. There, I've killed a joke by deconstructing it. Happy?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

fatherdog posted:

Last time the secret match was Baret Yoshida vs Jeff Glover, who is also one of the announcers. He stripped off his suit to reveal tights and ran down to the mat.

Florian's reaction was absolutely priceless.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Not to derail but was there a fateful day when Bean Fried pissed in 1st AD's Cheerios or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

El Roncho posted:

Not to derail but was there a fateful day when Bean Fried pissed in 1st AD's Cheerios or something?

WMMA brings out lots of emotion in some people.