Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol did anyone else just hear the NPR report on this? Jesus Christ NPR I thought you were better than that.

give the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The popularity of let's plays makes me think that people don't actually like to play games. Hell some games probably have more LP views than sales.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

give the link

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...mpaign=business

Just played on the radio but it will be available at 7. They interviewed Zoe and leigh alexander. The whole thing was just about Zoe and Anita being threatened and having to leave their homes.

I mean, jesus gamergate is stupid but NPR usually goes to great lengths to be completely unbiased and report both sides. Not to mention this is going to open the whole thing back up again.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 24, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Zoe, to the world, was a repulsive girl
But to me Zoe meant only sorrow

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol Adam Baldwin is going to be pissed. This poo poo is going to be funny again.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Just played on the radio but it will be available at 7. They interviewed Zoe and leigh alexander. The whole thing was just about Zoe and Anita being threatened and having to leave their homes.

I mean, jesus gamergate is stupid but NPR usually goes to great lengths to be completely unbiased and report both sides. Not to mention this is going to open the whole thing back up again.

Leigh Alexander has her PR machine in full damage control mode and unfortunately there isn't another organization who has that amount of media influence to put forth the opposite perspective.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Seriously once everyone gets to hear it at 7 there's going to be a shitstorm you'll never believe.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Not to mention this is going to open the whole thing back up again.

Like our beloved goatman's anus, this never showed any signs of closing.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

npr has always been shill

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol did anyone else just hear the NPR report on this? Jesus Christ NPR I thought you were better than that.

NPR is desperately trying to stay relevant with a declining budget and viewership.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Don't worry I'm sure NPR has Brad Wardell and other men who have been harassed on in the next episode right?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
NPR owns

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Spacebase did not break even and likely never will. They didn't get enough money to pay for future development a la Minecraft. The game won't have everything on the "wish list" of features but that's not a goalpost that determines "finished/unfinished." Never kickstart/early-access/pay-for-beta versions of games. Tim Schafer already commented on all of this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/246090/discussions/0/613936673464943075/

You should kickstart games from companies or people who don't have a track record of being incompetent. Wasteland 2 came out fine.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

But what is the other side from the perspective of NPR? A game blogger called gamers names? Game journalists like to talk about poo poo with other game journalists?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

But what is the other side from the perspective of NPR? A game blogger called gamers names? Game journalists like to talk about poo poo with other game journalists?

It doesn't matter they should still get airtime to present their case. NPR goes on and on and on about how fair they are and how they go to great lengths to present both sides fairly. My guess is if this ever made it to the Diane Rehm show that's exactly what they would do but my guess is that the other side wouldn't want to participate in that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

The popularity of let's plays makes me think that people don't actually like to play games. Hell some games probably have more LP views than sales.

Yep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
please stop talking about me guys i am litereally shaking

i will take money from cracked

and do interviews

and poo poo all over twitter

donations through patreon are also acceptable

but please no attention its private

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It doesn't matter they should still get airtime to present their case. NPR goes on and on and on about how fair they are and how they go to great lengths to present both sides fairly.

Fair and balanced.

Teach the controversy.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
journalism is about reporting facts, not presenting sides

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
gonna lol hard if Real Adult Journalists just keep interviewing leigh/zoe/anita and also zoe quinn wins her lawsuit and also the Fair State Feministas win the superbowl

#impotencegate

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fair and balanced.

Teach the controversy.

National PUBLIC Radio.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Trapezium Dave posted:

The other side could be that a bunch of the game journos from the mailing list tried to bully another game journo for not toeing the party line: https://medium.com/@ryansmithwriter/a-weird-insider-culture-d1c3cc644c29

quote:

It only got worse after Breitbart recently published a leaked thread from the GameJournosPros group that discussed coverage of the Zoe Quinn affair. In the group, I questioned where these journalists drew the line in terms of covering salacious stories involving sources and asked if they’d actually examined evidence. My inquiries were treated incredulously or ignored. When a small amount of pro-Gamer Gate people online began following me on Twitter and praising me and I began engaging with them, here’s the response I got from journalists in the group: One said I was fueling harassment and threats, called me an “rear end in a top hat,” some blocked me on Twitter, or tried contacting my colleagues or editors in attempt to shame me into silence or have my bosses silence me.

This is a problem, IMO.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

National PUBLIC Radio.

Exactly. Truth does not come from presenting all sides, but presenting the correct side: that of the proletariat.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh also Freddy Mercury, you can't tell me he's a liar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

This is way late, but I listened to this whole thing, and am now prepared to send you up to 4 Internet Death Threats(TM) for your transgression against both me, this thread, and humanity as a whole. May god(tw: deifism) have mercy on your soul.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
reminder that virtually the entire news media posted completely false stuff about 4chan threatening emma watson leaks because they are all pauper shills begging for clicks, incapable of doing research because research requires effort, and so long as something fits their liberal narrative on the surface they just run with it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
please, dont diss Queen

this thread's got enough of a stink already

kazoosandthings
Dec 6, 2004

In order to join the pirate crew,
you must prove yourself on the kazoo.
Well I couldn't keep up with this thread after the first hundred pages so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but I saw this pic and thought GEE he sure looks like the #gamergate protagonist!

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

journalism is about reporting facts, not presenting sides

like they said in Heathers, "call me when the Shuttle lands."

journalism is about keeping people tuned in to hear your commercials (in NPR's case, the commercial is "the entire show")

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kyrie eleison posted:

reminder that virtually the entire news media posted completely false stuff about 4chan threatening emma watson leaks because they are all pauper shills begging for clicks, incapable of doing research because research requires effort, and so long as something fits their liberal narrative on the surface they just run with it

This is accurate.

Responding by redefining 'equality' and 'justice' in ways that exclude class also fits perfectly into the liberal narrative, Kyrie.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is accurate.

Responding by redefining 'equality' and 'justice' in ways that exclude class also fits perfectly into the liberal narrative, Kyrie.

I can't really argue with you when in this case the poor downtrodden oppressed masses live comfortably in San Francisco and get to have the media unquestioningly repeat their every word as fact.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
i did not say NPR is correct here. i said that truth comes from siding with the proletariat, which they are not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
thats why i find the use of oppression kinda funny

it's like, gently caress, if oppression is several thousand quid every month count me in on that poo poo

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

thats why i find the use of oppression kinda funny

it's like, gently caress, if oppression is several thousand quid every month count me in on that poo poo

SJWs believe economic class to be piddly compared to the horrors of biphobia and misogyny.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
i live in a penthouse flat but coming out as an asexual woman was so hard guys

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

kazoosandthings posted:

Well I couldn't keep up with this thread after the first hundred pages so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but I saw this pic and thought GEE he sure looks like the #gamergate protagonist!

so you found a guy who fits a nerd stereotype and just assumed he was a gamergate supporter despite plenty of nerdling types hating gamergate.

i did a little bit of RESEARCH (imagine that) and the 'open source tea party' was a slur used by a liberal against another liberal, using 'tea party' pejoratively because they did not agree with accepting a software change for philosophical reasons (and were thus being unreasonable), this guy wearing the shirt ironically to mock the accusation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i dont even have the energy to argue with anyone now, NPR cucking the gamergate side and tea partiers siding with gamergate was enough for today, lmbo that owns

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nebulon Gate posted:

SJWs believe economic class to be piddly compared to the horrors of biphobia and misogyny.

We should be under no illusions. Misogyny is bad, but it is bad exclusively because it is a form of class discrimination.

Kyrie may be an idiot, but he is an idiot because he has been misled into attacking his own class on behalf of the rich.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My guess is most of the people we're talking about are probably trust fund babies that can always rely on parents so I doubt they'll ever be interested in dealing with real class issues.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Falsum posted:

The other side could be that a bunch of the game journos from the mailing list tried to bully another game journo for not toeing the party line: https://medium.com/@ryansmithwriter/a-weird-insider-culture-d1c3cc644c29
I don't think "women are being harassed in the game industry" is best counted by "I was dinged for wanting to run an exposé on a woman's sex life".

And yeah I'm glossing over a lot of details here but that's the problem with all the gamergate stuff, there isn't any palatable direction that can easily be put up as the counter and everything all goes back to Zoe Quinn and a non-story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Neurolimal posted:

i dont even have the energy to argue with anyone now, NPR cucking the gamergate side and tea partiers siding with gamergate was enough for today, lmbo that owns

seriously look at how stupid you are that you believe 'tea partiers are siding with gamergate' because of that post. just, remarkably stupid

• Locked thread