Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mo0 posted:

Wow.

Woow.

:golfclap:

You get a cookie.

VDay posted:

What's the premise behind Scorpion? All I've seen about it is their ads on buses and billboards, which always make me laugh because they say something about the 4 smartest people in the world and then have 6 people in them. Sorry other two idiots.

A group of geniuses assist Homeland Security (led by Robert Patrick) with tough cases. Katherine McPhee is their liaison to humanity, and her son is a genius that they've taken under their wing.

Don't watch it if you have a low tolerance for Gibson-esque dramatizations of computer science.

Not Gibson as in "William," Gibson as in "Hack The".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
They should, just like with TBBT or ER hire technical writers ... but then the plots could probably end up being even more boring.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Slamhound posted:

Is there any particular reason for the Vince Vaughn hatred? Particularly in comparison to Collin Farrell?

He always plays the same character and the first time I saw him was in Swingers, a movie I absolutely loving loathe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Vince Vaughn's the fat one.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rhea Perlman is on The Mindy Project!

NOOOOO THAT loving SONG STOP IT MINDY PROJECT YOU'RE HURTING MEEEEEE

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Selfie is tolerable if you imagine it's a TV version of Clueless. The thing I really don't understand is why Karen Gillan's character is a pharmaceutical sales rep instead of a celebrity.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

Selfie is tolerable if you imagine it's a TV version of Clueless. The thing I really don't understand is why Karen Gillan's character is a pharmaceutical sales rep instead of a celebrity.
When I saw the previews I thought she was actually playing a vapid celebrity or something. But I guess it just had to be really weird and absurd so they went with that. And I'm pretty sure Selfie is just My Fair Lady for all intents and purposes, you know, minus the British class system.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

When I saw the previews I thought she was actually playing a vapid celebrity or something. But I guess it just had to be really weird and absurd so they went with that. And I'm pretty sure Selfie is just My Fair Lady for all intents and purposes, you know, minus the British class system.
Oh for sure. Karen Gillan is Eliza Dooley and John Cho is Henry Higgs.

edit: To clarify, those are their character names. The characters in My Fair Lady is Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I quite enjoyed the pilot of Forever, but the timing of the final scene doesn't make much sense unless they shot on location. Surely every studio has one of those sets for day shooting.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Vince Vaughn's the fat one.

That puffy motherfucker has been like that forever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I think we all know who's going to be the antagonist in TD Season 2.

THE DEMON KANE, BAH GAWD!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonz posted:

Why would they fight when they both have the power of Ron Paul?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gonz posted:

How is that even legal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know where all the smartest people in the world work? That's right, law enforcement. Everyone in the top 10% of their class at MIT dreams of the day they can crack cases at Homeland Security.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Utopia season 2 has some uncomfortable stuff

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, that fake hand looks like poo poo.

Utopia Season Two was pretty good, but a pale imitation compared to the first. The best episode was the first one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bown posted:

Farrell and Vaughn is definitely not as exciting as Harrelson and McConaughey. Farrell is fine but has never been particularly noteworthy in anything, and Vaughn is....well yeah.

Farrell is good when he tries and isn't on coke or maybe just the right level of coke. Either way it may be a horrible trainwreak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ahaha I just saw the plane/Lambo LAN reboot hack from Scorpion, that show is going to be the worst.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

congrats on your first ever probation annakie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Probably the only problem I had with the pilot was the wiff of patriachal tone that is shared by all the various Pygmalion adaptations, so I'm hoping they also do a better job of showing Cho's weaknesses and maybe Gillen's strengths (instead of immediately watering her down) as the show progresses.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Law & Order: SVU's season opener is tonight. Is the show still any good? I stopped watching when Stabler left. I used to be a huge SVU junkie but is it worth watching anymore?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

zoux posted:

Ahaha I just saw the plane/Lambo LAN reboot hack from Scorpion, that show is going to be the worst.

It's pretty terrible, but I'll probably continue to watch it as background entertainment while doing other stuff and a dumb series like that is pretty much perfect for that role.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Last night I watched I Know That Voice, a documentary about voice actors and the voice acting industry. It was very interesting. They were saying how versatile you have to be in order to really make it as a voice actor, which is kinda obvious. But one thing they never went into that I wish they did was how someone like Jon Benjamin is so successful while only doing the same voice for everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

Last night I watched I Know That Voice, a documentary about voice actors and the voice acting industry. It was very interesting. They were saying how versatile you have to be in order to really make it as a voice actor, which is kinda obvious. But one thing they never went into that I wish they did was how someone like Jon Benjamin is so successful while only doing the same voice for everything.

Cronyism.

It wouldn't be a very long segment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jon Benjamin may only do one voice, but it's an awesome one.

He did Jason on "Home Movies". It sounds nothing like his standard voice, which makes me think people just don't ask him to do anything but the usual.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeardley Smith has made herself a lot of money by voicing Lisa Simpson. Sometimes having a unique or animation-friendly voice will trump versatility.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jingleheimer posted:

Either that or you just have to have one of those voices that everyone wants, like Keith David. Kristen Schaal seems to work the same way, but she's pretty much a cartoon character in real life.

That doesn't account for Jon Benjamin though, he's like the most low-effort voice actor I've ever heard. It worked for Dr. Katz and Home Movies but for everything else it just sounds like "Jon Benjamin's voice coming out of this person for some reason."

hcreight posted:

Yeardley Smith has made herself a lot of money by voicing Lisa Simpson. Sometimes having a unique or animation-friendly voice will trump versatility.

Do any of the Simpsons VAs aside from Hank Azaria even have other jobs? I remember most of them getting cast on sitcoms in the early-mid 90s that didn't last very long.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

If by worst you mean awesome. And it was a Ferrari, not a Lamborghini. Ugh, stupid nerds. :rolleyes:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Do any of the Simpsons VAs aside from Hank Azaria even have other jobs? I remember most of them getting cast on sitcoms in the early-mid 90s that didn't last very long.

They all still take other jobs periodically. Dan Castellaneta in particular clearly still likes taking live action roles. But none of them would have to do anything but The Simpsons if they didn't want to. I think the main cast is all still making 300k an episode, and that's actually a pay reduction from a few years ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

They certainly don't need them. I don't know if this site is trustworthy at all, but it says Yeardley Smith is worth $55 million.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

Either that or you just have to have one of those voices that everyone wants, like Keith David. Kristen Schaal seems to work the same way, but she's pretty much a cartoon character in real life.

That doesn't account for Jon Benjamin though, he's like the most low-effort voice actor I've ever heard. It worked for Dr. Katz and Home Movies but for everything else it just sounds like "Jon Benjamin's voice coming out of this person for some reason."

Archer does a joke about this in on a DVD about how if Archer looked like Jon Benjamin he wouldn't get any work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

It's funny and also kind of sad when they ask her on the commentaries how she changes up her voice for Lisa at different ages. You can tell she actually tries to do it all different, but it just sounds the same.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you don't know who that is as Hook, try and guess without looking.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

If you mean the main characters only, not really, but side characters' VAs certainly do. Tress MacNeille is ridiculously prolific and has a lot of regular background characters on the Simpsons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tress_MacNeille#Voices_on_The_Simpsons

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Too thin for Lena Dunham. Zosia Mamet, maybe?

edit: ahaha, what a trainwreck.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

If you don't know who that is as Hook, try and guess without looking.

A 71 year old song and dance man?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like his weapon of choice

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Look at that face he's making, jeez. Did someone stick a watch in his rear end or something?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Anyone know why Chicago Code was cancelled? It is a great programme so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Boatswain posted:

Anyone know why Chicago Code was cancelled? It is a great programme so far.

Same reason most shows get canceled. Not enough people watched it.

• Locked thread