Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can the tv show use characters created by Big Finish? Paul McGann said some names for a web thing, but Thomas Hector Scofield showing up would be beyond amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

"Bang-Bang-A-Boom!" and "Flip-Flop" would have been very good if the former had been able to decide what it was actually trying to parody, and the latter had cut out a lot of the subtext surrounding the Poor, Blind Slithergees.

I thought Earth Aid did "7th Doctor and companion gently subvert the serious space opera genre" much better. Ace makes a much better ship captain than the Doctor does.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bang Bang A Boom needed funnier jokes. There were a couple, but by and large everything that was supposed to be funny fell completely flat.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Alright, looks like I'm going to have another 12ish hour drive, so I'm down for some more audio recommendations.

I enjoyed the others well enough. I was fairly impressed with the complexity of the stories without a narrator. I'm used to audio books and the radio plays I've listened to are the Lord of the Rings, and the Hitchhikers Guide series which I believe both have narrators. So it was pretty neat having the doctor explain what's happening to the audience stand-in characters.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Alright, looks like I'm going to have another 12ish hour drive, so I'm down for some more audio recommendations.

I enjoyed the others well enough. I was fairly impressed with the complexity of the stories without a narrator. I'm used to audio books and the radio plays I've listened to are the Lord of the Rings, and the Hitchhikers Guide series which I believe both have narrators. So it was pretty neat having the doctor explain what's happening to the audience stand-in characters.

I definitely recommend Chimes of Midnight and Spare Parts, if you didn't get those in the first batch!

I'd also personally recommend LIVE 34, but I know other people in this thread said that it's among their least favourites, so... your mileage may vary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

Bang Bang A Boom needed funnier jokes. There were a couple, but by and large everything that was supposed to be funny fell completely flat.

I think the worst part was the Wogan impressionist.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I definitely recommend Chimes of Midnight and Spare Parts, if you didn't get those in the first batch!

I'd also personally recommend LIVE 34, but I know other people in this thread said that it's among their least favourites, so... your mileage may vary.

LIVE 34 has an interesting narrative style that I liked, but skipping the big climax at the end and just having the characters talk about it afterwards was really terrible.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Was she Missy? Older Moffat Women are so interchangeable that I can only tell them apart by hair, and the hair looked similar.

This is also basically the same character:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cofelia

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the worst part was the Wogan impressionist.

I think you mean best. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

LIVE 34 has an interesting narrative style that I liked, but skipping the big climax at the end and just having the characters talk about it afterwards was really terrible.

I think it works for me because the whole thing is about hearing it via these public broadcasts, and enough of the investigation has been set up by then through the investigative journalism that I find it easy to believe that a compelling public speech could be enough to uncover the administration's cover-up. It fits the medium and the themes of the story.

Obviously show don't tell is usually a better rule, but I don't know, it just really works for me in this instance.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

Yeah, I think it's more of an issue of actors not knowing how to play this type of character differently or not being directed to. I don't know how much influence Moffat has over the direction of one-shot characters.

One exception I can think of is Yvonne Hartman (Torchwood leader from the season 2 finale). I can easily see her character ending up similar to the ones cited here, but the actress put a different spin on it. We could certainly do with more of that now.

Liz from Beast Below would also count technically I suppose.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 24, 2014

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Potsticker posted:

I liked the one musical sting whenever someone found a dead body. Also the Doctor Who theme interrupted by a record skip.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I think it works for me because the whole thing is about hearing it via these public broadcasts, and enough of the investigation has been set up by then through the investigative journalism that I find it easy to believe that a compelling public speech could be enough to uncover the administration's cover-up. It fits the medium and the themes of the story.

Obviously show don't tell is usually a better rule, but I don't know, it just really works for me in this instance.

I'd love to see that sort of format done again with a different/better script.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

And this one:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kovarian

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power as written by Moffat.

Fixed that for you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's the writing and costuming.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power.

Care to elaborate on what their different characters/characteristics are?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Hair color, and some of them are lesbians.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

thexerox123 posted:

They have an age spread across 18 years, for one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

They have an age spread across 18 years, for one.

You'd think they'd have very different characterization, then! Go on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Hair color, and some of them are lesbians.

Be fair!

All of them might be lesbians.

Well OK bisexual. Unless the Doctor is going to regenerate into a woman next time...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Fixed that for you.

Partners in Crime was not written by Moffat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

thexerox123 posted:

You'd think they'd have very different characterization, then! Go on.

Well, Kovarian was a creepy, murderous fanatic. Ms Delphox was more aloof and distant - barely a villain, all said and done. Maybe a villain from an Indiana Jones film. When confronted she just left. Kinda hard to image Kovarian doing that. Missy we've only seen for about thirty seconds, in which she's not got had characterisation other than slightly sinister and unhinged. Again, difficult to imagine her managing a space bank or escaping with armfuls of gold.

e: ahaha, no woman problems here, no sirree. hey, reckon they're lesbians?!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

Ms Delphox was more aloof and distant - barely a villain, all said and done. Maybe a villain from an Indiana Jones film. When confronted she just left. Kinda hard to image Kovarian doing that.

Well, to be fair, it depends on which Ms Delphox we're talking about. One fought all the way up until she was incinerated. But point taken on the rest. Maybe someone else can elaborate on what people find similar about them?

Also, it occurs to me, the actual Ms Delphox kind of was a creepy, murderous fanatic, just in a different way... she was incinerating her clones without a second thought and imprisoning the last two creatures of a species to further the bank that she wasted her life running.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

josh04 posted:

e: ahaha, no woman problems here, no sirree. hey, reckon they're lesbians?!

I do not have this difficulty with other programs. The Space Pope or whoever in Time of the Doctor, Ms. Delphox, Missy, Miss Kizlet and Madame Kovarian all have very similar writing with regard to their behavior, wardrobe& makeup , and dialogue. The problem isn't with this thread; it's with the showrunner.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

Burkion posted:

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power as written by Moffat.

Bicyclops posted:

The Space Pope or whoever in Time of the Doctor

Bicyclops posted:

The problem isn't with this thread; it's with the showrunner.
These posts don't exactly convince me of that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Burkion posted:

Well OK bisexual. Unless the Doctor is going to regenerate into a woman next time...

Only if the Queen gets to be played by a man, as Moffat himself once said :colbert:

E: Moffat is terrible at writing women characters, to the point that I can't imagine anyone is seriously defending him over it these days. The guy is a rabid sexist, bordering on the misogynistic. Yes, he wrote "Blink", but that is basically the exception that proves the rule.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 25, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pizdec posted:

These posts don't exactly convince me of that.

I'm sorry that I can't remember the Space Pope's name, Pizdec, nor do I have the inclination to look for it in Wikipedia, but she is very much the same character as the others in my list.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Also:

Bicyclops posted:

The Space Pope or whoever in Time of the Doctor, Ms. Delphox, Missy, Miss Kizlet and Madame Kovarian all have very similar writing with regard to their wardrobe& makeup

edit

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sorry that I can't remember the Space Pope's name, Pizdec, nor do I have the inclination to look for it in Wikipedia, but she is very much the same character as the others in my list.
That's not the issue, the problem is that character has very little in common with the rest of the characters you mentioned. In fact she's much more of a River Song-type character to the point that people speculated that's who she was.

Moffat repeats himself alot with female characters (well, he repeats himself alot period), but when this thread starts blaming him for a RTD character it's getting hard to take any of this seriously.

edit2:
Actually now that I look at these photos I find it more interesting that all of them have short hair, maybe that's why people find them so similar. When was the last time we had a companion or a positive female character with short hair? Martha?

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Psybro
May 12, 2002
This thread has reminded me how the season-long mystery over Madame Kovarian was resolved by it turning out not to be particularly important who she was, where she came from or what her motivation was and then she died. What a loving state.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Pizdec posted:

Also:

edit

That's not the issue, the problem is that character has very little in common with the rest of the characters you mentioned. In fact she's much more of a River Song-type character to the point that people speculated that's who she was.

Moffat repeats himself alot with female characters (well, he repeats himself alot period), but when this thread starts blaming him for a RTD character it's getting hard to take any of this seriously.

edit2:
Actually now that I look at these photos I find it more interesting that all of them have short hair, maybe that's why people find them so similar. When was the last time we had a companion or a positive female character with short hair? Martha?

Careful with the attitude, the locals around here get so sensitive. And especially watch out for that one guy who apparently thinks he really is the 6th Doctor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Psybro posted:

This thread has reminded me how the season-long mystery over Madame Kovarian was resolved by it turning out not to be particularly important who she was, where she came from or what her motivation was and then she died. What a loving state.

Actually she's still alive.

She died in a non canon universe that doesn't count.

So, uh.

I guess that's a thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, those three in the middle are real fuckin' similar. I stand corrected on Space Pope and confess that I remember very little about her except that she was annoying. Also and on the costume for the Bells of St. John, although I still think the latter character is pretty interchangeable with the other three in terms of her tropes.

There's no thread consensus and I've been plenty positive about other aspects of Moffat's writing, stop being obnoxious.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Careful with the attitude, the locals around here get so sensitive.

Yes, it is the "locals" who are "so sensitive" around here, and certainly not the Moffat White Knights, who jump at any opportunity to defend the man at even the smallest of perceived slights against him. :rolleyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The persistent idea that there is any kind of consensus about what people in this thread think/feel about stuff in Doctor Who never fails to confuse me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, he's talented at sticking to a theme, at thematically tying the monster-of-the-week to character work on the Doctor (or, sometimes, companion) and his best episodes have a good rhythm and arc nicely. He's great at bookends. He also sometimes falls victim to being his pet characters' biggest fans and he has major problems writing women, particularly, for some bizarre reason, women roughly his own age.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And let's be entirely fair here.

If you took River but made her actually evil, like she was when she was Mels/River at the start of Let's Kill Hitler, you pretty much have Kavorian and Missy and Bank Manager Lady.

And Space Pope is River. Like, the only difference is one of them has a dalek laser she can shoot out of her hands, the other has...Time Lord lasers she can shoot out of her hands. Some times.

So putting them all together? Not that far off.

Where the gently caress did Space Pope lady come from again?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

RodShaft posted:

What did you like about the ones you grabbed before? It'll help with recommendations... how do you like your Who?

You can also keep plowing ahead with Six and Eight, those are good enough courses to take. And if you're a Douglas Adams fan, you should probably try The One Doctor. If you liked Robots of Sherwood, grab Invaders From Mars, especially if you're about to delve into the second McGann season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Jerusalem posted:

The persistent idea that there is any kind of consensus about what people in this thread think/feel about stuff in Doctor Who never fails to confuse me.

This comes up every so often, J-Ru, and it's usually the same two or three posters who apparently view Moffat's run on DW as the absolute creative pinnacle of DW (including the original series as well as the 2005 revival), and for some reason they get really perturbed about others pointing out his flaws and problems and such. Since there are more than a few people ITT who do have problems with Moffat's take on DW, they extrapolate that to mean "everyone ITT hates DW in general and Moffat in particular". They then proceed to gloss over the (usually majority of) people who go "I liked <that week's episode>, myself" and generally have the same ol' back-and-forth arguments with the Moffat detractors, in an effort to score Internet points or something, I guess.

• Locked thread