Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"They say that the Olympics is going to rekindle English national pride. I mean, for £9.2 billion they could have written “gently caress off Germany” onto the moon."

- Frankie Boyle, Scottish comedian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Uthor posted:

You don't need a laser for that, just a poo poo load of dynamite and a hatred toward NASA.

(from somewhere in Preacher. I'd get an issue number and more pages, but random Google searches on my phone are making that difficult.)

Issue #39. Here's the whole sequence, which is pretty badass, in a way!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Have you read Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory?

If you have, you'll already know about Poyo. If you haven't, Poyo is... well, imagine if Lobo was literally a chicken. Mostly, Poyo terrorizes and brutalizes and slaughters people horribly. He also fights Kaiju, and demons (at one point, he gets horribly injured; while USGOV surgeons work frantically to save his life, Poyo's soul descends into Hell and beats the poo poo out of the assembled demons).

Most of what Poyo does is too over-the-top to genuinely seem badass. But look at this scene here -- what Poyo does after getting shot down.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

YggiDee posted:

Do villains pay henchmen based on what superhero they're likely to encounter? Like, nobody really wants to fight Spider-man, but mostly he's going to make fun of you and then web you to a telephone pole. On the other hand, if your boss is planning to piss off Frank Castle, he'd better be putting your kids through goddamn Harverd.

Are we talking 616 Punisher or MAX Punisher because no amount of money is worth loving with the latter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are we talking 616 Punisher or MAX Punisher because no amount of money is worth loving with the latter.
Man, the first half of MAX Punisher is fantastic and one of the only comics before most of the recent stuff that's all about ironic self-reference where the badguys are like, "yeah don't gently caress with this guy".

The Slavers in particular, where one of the big bads tries to dissuade his insane father from the motherland from fighting the Punisher.

"Father, everyone who fights this man dies."

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

If somebody's got the vampire-cannon pages available, please post them. That was an awesome storyline.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p15/

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p16/

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I've now read a bunch of Dr McNinja. I keep reading his lines in Dr Krieger's voice.

Am I doing it wrong?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Well, I've now read a bunch of Dr McNinja. I keep reading his lines in Dr Krieger's voice.

Am I doing it wrong?

Any of the Archer cast would work, since he walks the line between competence and idiocy, just like they do.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I'd rather see a reverse Chairface Chippendale, use your Super Moon Laser to scorch your name into the Earth. Larger writing area, plus can be a level 1 invasion deterrant.

Today, we, the Skrull empire, shall invade the puny planet Earth.

Commander! Look at this!

Let me see..."Property of Baron Zemo"...gently caress, that's clever. OK, pack it in boys! Someone already laid claim to this planet.

Terminus did this back in FF #269; he basically staked his claim to Earth by writing it across the face of North America with a giant laser.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Terminus did this back in FF #269; he basically staked his claim to Earth by writing it across the face of North America with a giant laser.

And Marvel Boy wrote "gently caress You" on the face of Manhattan on the Morrison mini.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vincent posted:

And Marvel Boy wrote "gently caress You" on the face of Manhattan on the Morrison mini.

Yes, but humanity is genetically incapable of giving a poo poo about anything Marvel Boy does.

Because he is pathetic, you see.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fabricated posted:

Man, the first half of MAX Punisher is fantastic and one of the only comics before most of the recent stuff that's all about ironic self-reference where the badguys are like, "yeah don't gently caress with this guy".

The Slavers in particular, where one of the big bads tries to dissuade his insane father from the motherland from fighting the Punisher.

"Father, everyone who fights this man dies."

The Slavers arc has probably the most hosed up deaths for all the main big bads. The final one in particular is pretty hardcore :stare:

I loved the Up is Down, Black is White arc because the villain miscalculated so badly and he gets hosed over so horribly for it. "Hmmm, I'll dig up Castle's family's remains and piss on them! He'll be super angry and do dumb poo poo and I'll easily kill him." and then the Punisher just calmly murders dozens of people every single night so that even the villain's own gang tells him to gently caress off because they're so scared.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Slavers arc has probably the most hosed up deaths for all the main big bads. The final one in particular is pretty hardcore :stare:

I loved the Up is Down, Black is White arc because the villain miscalculated so badly and he gets hosed over so horribly for it. "Hmmm, I'll dig up Castle's family's remains and piss on them! He'll be super angry and do dumb poo poo and I'll easily kill him." and then the Punisher just calmly murders dozens of people every single night so that even the villain's own gang tells him to gently caress off because they're so scared.

The best outcome of The Slavers was several arcs later when Frank is marching a guy out to shoot him, and in his mind he's trying to convince himself that he did not go as far as he did in The Slavers. That the actions he committed were so horrific, even to him, that maybe they didn't actually happen.

And then in Up is Down . . . where we learn that Frank has nightmares about his family dying, and in these nightmares, after he kills the criminals, he turns his guns on all the innocents who do nothing but stand by and watch. And that these are reoccurring nightmares, and that maybe, just maybe, that's what Frank really wants to do. Kill everyone.

I've said it before, but I don't think anyone has ever written a comic character as perfectly as Garth did with Frank. Others I'll read, and think are amazing, but I'm always interested to see what someone else will do with then. With Garth's Frank, I don't think anyone has ever, or will ever, match that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Davros1 posted:

The best outcome of The Slavers was several arcs later when Frank is marching a guy out to shoot him, and in his mind he's trying to convince himself that he did not go as far as he did in The Slavers. That the actions he committed were so horrific, even to him, that maybe they didn't actually happen.

And then in Up is Down . . . where we learn that Frank has nightmares about his family dying, and in these nightmares, after he kills the criminals, he turns his guns on all the innocents who do nothing but stand by and watch. And that these are reoccurring nightmares, and that maybe, just maybe, that's what Frank really wants to do. Kill everyone.

I've said it before, but I don't think anyone has ever written a comic character as perfectly as Garth did with Frank. Others I'll read, and think are amazing, but I'm always interested to see what someone else will do with then. With Garth's Frank, I don't think anyone has ever, or will ever, match that.
Until the latter half of MAX Punisher, he's pretty much the best and least corny shot at the character.

"A big angry dude wears a skull emblem on his chest and shoots people and calls himself 'The Punisher' because he's MAD his family died!!" is a really stupid sounding premise and he's honestly kind of a joke everywhere else he appears.

In Max he's murderer batman, entirely mortal but an engine of death because he gives even less fucks and hesitates less than even the most psychotic criminal. Also the whole implication from BORN that he's literally an avatar of death or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fabricated posted:

"A big angry dude wears a skull emblem on his chest and shoots people and calls himself 'The Punisher' because he's MAD his family died!!" is a really stupid sounding premise and he's honestly kind of a joke everywhere else he appears.
I think someone here said it best when they summed him up as
"The Punisher is a white man who feel he's the only one whose family was hurt by gang violence"

or somesuch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty much all of the new issue of Mighty Avengers could go in this thread, especially the first splash page. LUKE CAGE: THE UNBREAKABLE MAN

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fabricated posted:

Until the latter half of MAX Punisher, he's pretty much the best and least corny shot at the character.

In Max he's murderer batman, entirely mortal but an engine of death because he gives even less fucks and hesitates less than even the most psychotic criminal. Also the whole implication from BORN that he's literally an avatar of death or something.

The whole Kingpin and Bullseye MAX arcs pissed me off more than any other comic ever. I know that Ennis has closed off his MAX story, but holy poo poo was that stuff terrible. Kingpin's story was actually sort of interesting but Steve Dillon's art ruined it (that man can literally only draw one face) but Bullseye made me roll my eyes so hard I dropped the entire comic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't know in what context exactly this was created, but here's Spider-Man and Doc Ock drawn by One-Punch Man's Murata.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From the angle and perceived action it mostly looks like Ock is going in for a smooch.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 25, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

a kitten posted:

I don't know in what context exactly this was created, but here's Spider-Man and Doc Ock drawn by One-Punch Man's Murata.

Inspiration was taken from the beginning of the fight in Spider-Man 2. Pretty awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock fights really are in the AAA tier of superhero match-ups. Doc Ock has a clear edge making Spider-man's victories feel all the sweeter, but it isn't so great that you wonder how the hell Spider-Man could possibly win without contrivance (see Sandman, Hydro-Man). Their powers also compliment each other really nicely with Doc Ock's tentacles and Spidey's acrobatics creating a near-infinite variety of cool poses and sequences. Spider-man v. Goblins is up there, but in terms of raw cool factor Doc Ock really is his greatest enemy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

mind the walrus posted:

in terms of raw cool factor Doc Ock really is his greatest enemy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Murata's colored stuff always looks so beautiful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jiro posted:

Inspiration was taken from the beginning of the fight in Spider-Man 2. Pretty awesome.

Still one of the best superhero movies. He knows what's up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mind the walrus posted:

Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock fights really are in the AAA tier of superhero match-ups. Doc Ock has a clear edge making Spider-man's victories feel all the sweeter, but it isn't so great that you wonder how the hell Spider-Man could possibly win without contrivance (see Sandman, Hydro-Man). Their powers also compliment each other really nicely with Doc Ock's tentacles and Spidey's acrobatics creating a near-infinite variety of cool poses and sequences. Spider-man v. Goblins is up there, but in terms of raw cool factor Doc Ock really is his greatest enemy.

Agreed. On all fronts.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I never liked Spidey vs Goblin fights, I keep thinking why doesn't Goblin just fly out of range of Spidey's attacks, but it would be admittedly a boring thing to read, so...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Schneider Heim posted:

I never liked Spidey vs Goblin fights, I keep thinking why doesn't Goblin just fly out of range of Spidey's attacks, but it would be admittedly a boring thing to read, so...

I feel the same about the Vulture. Just...fly away and shoot him or something.

Ock is just a great counterpart to Spidey. He's a physical combatant with enormous reach, one who can keep up with Spidey's speed simply because he can do multiple things at once.

I've always liked Ultimate Ock a lot, in particular.

Here he is, trashing new york after beating Spidey unconscious:

His evolution as a villain is one of my favorite things about the series.

Edit: Source is Ultimate SpiderMan, but I'm not 100% sure on the issue. Somewhere in the "Hollywood" trade. Volume 10.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 26, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't think of anything more chilling than Frank's final words to that guy (Nicky?). He takes him out into the forest, gutshoots him, and tells him,"You made it personal, but all that bought you was some extra pain before you die." :stare:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ConfusedUs posted:

Ock is just a great counterpart to Spidey. He's a physical combatant with enormous reach, one who can keep up with Spidey's speed simply because he can do multiple things at once.

Green Goblin as Spidey's arch-nemesis is something I never got, and I honestly think they keep forcing the issue with the blonde-off-a-bridge stuff and all the "we were born from the same compound" stuff that Ultimate did.

Doctor Octopus is a nerd with an alliterative name, who is given great power through a lab accident, and gains an identity based off an eight-limbed organism. The parallels are striking even beyond that, with what's been built up about Otto's past. Under different circumstances, he could have been Spider-Man. But lacking a positive influence on his life, someone to tell him about great power/responsibility, he ended up being a villain.

For all the schtick that Dan Slott gets, I think that he - as a writer - gets that more than most.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Doc Ock has just never struck me as a realistic threat because at the end of the day he is a normal dude without any armour who has some metal limbs. Pretty much any super hero can beat him by dodging past the arms and punching the pudgy normal-strength nerd in the face. Cops should be able to take him out by just firing some bullets at him. Hell, normal dudes could just throw some poo poo at him and all it takes is one good hit to knock him silly. To me he's always been a C-lister and I've no idea why he is treated so highly.

I haven't actually read many Ock stories, especially as I've avoided Slott like the plague. The only one I can vaguely recall is some storyline in the Clone Sage where he tries to cure Pete of some illness. Is there some great quintessential Ock story I'm missing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, most villains could be solved by a bullet putting them down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus the schtick with Ock is that the tentacles are theoretically fast enough that it's really hard to get in close to land a punch or even put a bullet into him. That said, yeah it should be preciously easy for someone like Thor or Captain America or Iron Man or even Daredevil to take him out with a well placed projectile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, Ock once took out the Hulk when he had adamantium tentacles. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Later Ock ran into Joe Fixit.
Things didn't go so well for him.

Incredible Hulk #396

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I find it easier to suspend my disbelief about the typical weak c-lister, who is something along the lines of a master martial artist who is in peak physical condition like Batroc, dodging bullets and beating up basic police/shield mooks/whoever than I do Doc Oc. Can't really explain it but its for pretty much the same reason i've never bought the Vulture as a credible threat.

Personally I think Doctor Octopus should have fit the mould of the other early Spider-man animal-based villains and been some dude (preferably a circus performer) in an octopus costume (or turned into an octopus-man) with super strength and the power to squirt ink.

Also some New Avengers 24 for content:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair the Vulture has never been a credible threat. If he wasn't a Silver Age Ditko design he'd be in the dust bin of history.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Later Ock ran into Joe Fixit.
Things didn't go so well for him.

Incredible Hulk #396

I love that Peter David wrote that basically as a big baby gently caress you to Erik Larsen. Completely jobs the gently caress out of Doc Ock, reverts him from the three piece suit/lab coat Larsen put him in back into the fat guy green suit, then to top it off, straight up steals "the finger" joke from Larsen's spidey issue.

The David/Larsen feud definitely had its moments.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Sometimes I think adamantium must be the most common substance on the planet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Magneto funds most of his villainous exploits by running an adamantium recycling business on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair the Vulture has never been a credible threat. If he wasn't a Silver Age Ditko design he'd be in the dust bin of history.

He was a fairly big deal in the 1980s because he was Roger Stern's favourite classic Spidey villain. In fact, Stern made a point of not leaning too heavily on the traditional rogues' gallery in favour of introducing new bad guys (Hobgoblin) or pitting Spider-Man against villains he wasn't accustomed to fighting (Nitro, Juggernaut, Mr Hyde), but Vulture was the one Silver Age enemy he regularly brought back and he put a great deal of effort into making him reasonably credible.