Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AxeManiac posted:

I couldn't be more mad at the world if Defiance doesn't get picked up for seasons 3-10. This show is too good, while far shittier shows (FAILING SKIES) keep turding along.

Please god dont have falling skies out run defiance. Please no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The next season of Falling Skies is going to be its last, so at least there's that.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

The next season of Falling Skies is going to be its last, so at least there's that.

5 years!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

Please god dont have falling skies out run defiance. Please no.

I will never quite get what exactly gets the American cablewatching public going

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe they should start taking ratings from Pirate Bay

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe they should start taking ratings from Pirate Bay

They don't want actual numbers they want numbers they can ~advertise~ to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Maybe we'll get lucky and netflix or amazon will pick it up so I can just give them money directly for the shows I like.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I fear that this show won't see season 3 and that every remaining storyline is going to be resolved by a vomit inducing novel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ded posted:

They don't want actual numbers they want numbers they can ~advertise~ to.

Yeh i know. When will they learn when will they learn that advertising doesn't work, now excuse me while i get a coke.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

kingcom posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and netflix or amazon will pick it up so I can just give them money directly for the shows I like.

If Syfy doesn't renew it, those two would be dumb not to go after it. They're both already trying to make their own series & original content and a scifi show like Defiance seems like a no-brainer when a large part of your market is people who use the internet a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that Defiance might be a little too expensive for anyone to "save" if it got canceled.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

muscles like this? posted:

I have a feeling that Defiance might be a little too expensive for anyone to "save" if it got canceled.

But yet they said "Hey lets take that terrible movie Legion and make it into a terrible show".

I don't get TV producers at all, they are really just insane people throwing money at the wall and seeing what sticks, then knocking over the wall and eating their own turds.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

But yet they said "Hey lets take that terrible movie Legion and make it into a terrible show".

I don't get TV producers at all, they are really just insane people throwing money at the wall and seeing what sticks, then knocking over the wall and eating their own turds.

Their entire businessmodel is to gamble with huge piles of money and hope for the best. It's either nerves of steel or full on crazy when you're in that kind of business because anything less will break you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AxeManiac posted:

Not that it was great or anything, but I'm still amazed that the TV show turned out to be much better than the movie. I mean that movie was not a very good starting point but the TV show pretty much just ran with it and somehow turned the setting into something actually interesting.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

USR-Atlas posted:

The game is pretty much on life support waiting for the plug to be pulled. The lazer light show shredding the remains of the votan fleet means they can turn off the game plot wise if the show continues.

With all the bad/buggy changes Trion made they pushed away the remaining small numbers still active in it on PC/console, also Destiny is coming out too which is the same shooter MMO concept but much better executed so that killed off interest in Defiance.

Anyway that felt like a pretty good season finale to me, would like to see another but I'm not expecting it.

I've just started playing it and it's pretty fun so far (although quite repetitive in the MMO/borderlands kind of way). I've only done the first of the TV missions but as a concept it seems fairly good. I'm assuming that the more of those i do, the more it'll tie into stuff that's been in the show.

So far i've been plugging away at the game missions and i've only really been turning on some radio towers and killing bugs. Does the game's plot at least ramp up a little?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Hey guys. I started watching Defiance recently (I'm at ep 8) and I'm wondering if there's some video package replacing the need to go through the game to get the missing story pieces. Is there such a thing?

(Please quote this post if you reply to me so that I can skip the spoilers. ^_^)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFAIK the game and the show don't really cross over all that much. The stuff that does is mostly the first season (what happened to Ryn after she leaves Defiance) and it really didn't seem like anything in the second.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kane posted:

Hey guys. I started watching Defiance recently (I'm at ep 8) and I'm wondering if there's some video package replacing the need to go through the game to get the missing story pieces. Is there such a thing?

(Please quote this post if you reply to me so that I can skip the spoilers. ^_^)

I said this when you asked in the other thread, but there's no missing story in the game. The only stuff you're missing out on is a lot of really trivial and non-vital world building. If there's something in particular about the world that's confusing you, just do a google search or read some articles on the Defiance wiki. You can read some stuff on the show site too.

Edit- The timeline is probably more than enough to fill you in on everything.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

Paradoxish posted:

I said this when you asked in the other thread, but there's no missing story in the game. The only stuff you're missing out on is a lot of really trivial and non-vital world building. If there's something in particular about the world that's confusing you, just do a google search or read some articles on the Defiance wiki. You can read some stuff on the show site too.

Edit- The timeline is probably more than enough to fill you in on everything.

I continued watching for a bit and felt the urge to give it another go. Looked at some gameplay videos and a few seconds of cutscenes and now I know the Votans tried to migrate to earth (for some reason). The show makes it sound like they were some sort of (confused) invading force. :\
I'm still not even sure who and what falls under the "Votan" category.

Anyway, thanks. I was hoping for game footage but if no one can suggest anything, I'll check out what you suggested.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Kane posted:

I'm still not even sure who and what falls under the "Votan" category.

Anyone who isn't human is Votan. They all originally came from the Votanis Star cluster/system.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Just finished up the last four episodes of the season.

:( Tommy. :(

There was a TON to love (Stahma and Datak arguing and talking over each other and the whole confrontation in the silo was a high point) but I think my favorite part involved Berlin getting put in the firing squad at Reverie and then when they inexplicably are rescued by the Tarrs of all people she sort of stands there in shock. I told my husband "she's thinking, I am still a little drunk right now" and then she bursts out laughing and I just loved it. :3:

Please, please, please, get a third season.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

muscles like this? posted:

AFAIK the game and the show don't really cross over all that much. The stuff that does is mostly the first season (what happened to Ryn after she leaves Defiance) and it really didn't seem like anything in the second.

The game basically just expanded on some of the backstory the website has up, that people who are interested enough can go check out there. The show isn't placing much on making sure you know all the alien history and backstory, so you if you don't like diving into all that stuff, it should be fine for you to keep watching and learning as they feed you on the show.

All you gotta know is the main story, a bunch of aliens traveled in ships to get here to Earth and poo poo went sour and now everyone is stuck here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did they ever do that thing where a game character could win a walk-on part on the show?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

haveblue posted:

Did they ever do that thing where a game character could win a walk-on part on the show?

Yeah; it wasn't a walk on part though, they showed up on a wanted poster in the lawkeeper station.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AxeManiac posted:

The game basically just expanded on some of the backstory the website has up, that people who are interested enough can go check out there. The show isn't placing much on making sure you know all the alien history and backstory, so you if you don't like diving into all that stuff, it should be fine for you to keep watching and learning as they feed you on the show.

All you gotta know is the main story, a bunch of aliens traveled in ships to get here to Earth and poo poo went sour and now everyone is stuck here.

Yeah, I'm most of the way through the game and so far it's basically just an expanded universe kind of thing. The story missions kind of have you pottering about with things loosely related to stuff in the series. Like the first couple of missions introduce you to Nolan as an ark hunter right before he goes off to be Law Keeper then you deal with that pheramone stuff that was being used to target people for death in the snd/3rd episode or something.

I expect as it goes on the story missions become a little more involved with what went on in the series though. I'd definitely recommend playing it though. It's basically a MMO borderlands without the lovely bajillion rubbish guns and with a better story/characters.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Watched the last episode yesterday. The whole season 2 is really good, it'd be terrible if Defiance doesn't get at least season 3.

Also, gonna agree with what Kin said about the game.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Back at the start I think they played up the angle that things you did in game could have possible repercussions in the show, but I suppose they've dropped that now. Hardly seems plausible given what I know about the production cycle of a video game versus a TV show. Even if there was a huge event in the game it'd be ancient history by the time whatever result got processed into cable TV.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just started watching the episode of Doctor Who with Tony Curran in it. I'd totally forgotten he was in it, and hearing the voice I think of as Datak's startled the heck out of me.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

I finished watching Season 1 and overall I was not greatly impressed. There were some nice moments and the premise is great, but the plot and characters just don't seem to be able to move beyond plastic triviality despite the amazing production values of the show. Everything beyond the visuals and the feel of the world is just banal and rarely interesting. It almost always felt like there was not a lot of effort going into making the story, either from the personal drama point of view or from any Sci-Fi aspects.

The show had some moments in the sun when Defiance itself was the focal point, it being the melting pot of all of the races and their various ways (no matter how bland these often felt. We have a cast system and we always wear white! You will never understand our ways, human.). I thought it would have been great to explore what makes Defiance and its unique way of life work: the conditions, morals and ad-hoc laws formed. The relationships, the drama, the misunderstandings transcended into a functioning cooperative force...
Unfortunately, the show often devolves into the same old tropes we've seen a million times and that can be spotted 2 minutes into an episode. The entire season finale went on and on about "destiny", possibly the laziest theme in the universe to hinge an entire main plot on.

Does it get any better in Season 2? I am starved enough for Sci-Fi that even if it improves slightly I'll give it a go. :]

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, I was similarly dubious about the show, but season two is a pretty strong improvement. If they can continue that trend in season 3, it might actually be a great show.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

Ok now more people post comments in similar vein please.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Season two was much better. Season one was dumb fun, season two was pretty entertaining. I'm really curious what will happen in season three.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Syfy has renewed for a 3rd season!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/25/defiance-dominion-renewed-for-new-seasons-by-syfy/307150/

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

YES

This is good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

loving finally, they really got me worried by not revealing this earlier.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Whoohoo! Thank Christ, I was really worried since Defiance is pretty much the only scifi I'm watching these days. I'm glad Syfy made the right choice.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
So glad to hear that Defiance was renewed. I cannot wait for the Datak/Rafe/Stahma road trip rescue.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

johntfs posted:

So glad to hear that Defiance was renewed. I cannot wait for the Datak/Rafe/Stahma road trip rescue.

I can't believe I forgot they set this up. I'm so goddamn hyped for next season now. More Stahma own zone.

Kane posted:

Ok now more people post comments in similar vein please.

I don't really want to spoil anything but season 2 gets way better. I have never remotely cared about teenage romance plots. They are dumb and terrible. The defiance romance plot is literally a copy paste of Romeo and Juliet. I thought it was hot garbage. By the end of season 2 I found it to be the most compelling subplot in the show with the single best payoff you can have.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 26, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kane posted:

Does it get any better in Season 2? I am starved enough for Sci-Fi that even if it improves slightly I'll give it a go. :]

It has even more Stahma and Datak own zone, what more could you want?

Overall the second season was much more solid IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This past July my wife and I cosplayed as Nolan and Irisa at our local Con in July. And then we decided we'd try to do Datak and Stahma next year, but then they both became assholes, but then they became awesome again, so who even knows.

• Locked thread