Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I have no idea how people could hate on C9's surgical stomp of Alliance. Sure, there wasn't a lot of kills because Alliance pulled a Curse and hid in their base, but C9 played the perfect loving game. They shouldn't be able to pull that off against a World's team. What's even odder is all the casters bringing up how dominant the EU teams have been in scrims. Also the way they completely dismissed the C9 game as meaningless. Meteos and his team played one of the best looking games of their careers and the first thing Sjokz says to him is "hmm what a worthless game." Really?

Seems like the EU teams didn't do their homework and were taken by surprise by the pace C9 and LMQ pushed. It brings to mind how people said LMQ was dominating NA early but teams got used to their playstyle. These teams haven't gotten used to it yet, but they might. It's not like they didn't make huge mistakes and have poor vision. They were just so god drat relentless their opponents couldn't figure out a way to counter with their slow poke comps.

I think we could easily see Alliance change their strategy to a split pushing assassin comp and regain their momentum. Fnatic seems far less capable of changing.

Fnatic may be in for a very rough night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jonny Angel posted:

In general I think your pick ban analysis is much more interesting than your game recap.

I definitely agree with this. Maybe it's because we already get a lot of analysis of the actual games and stuff already, I don't know, but the stuff on pick and ban and people actually explaining in depth the strategy that goes with that is significantly more interesting. I think the blog is very good though, Wrath. :3:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Jayisspecial posted:

What's even odder is all the casters bringing up how dominant the EU teams have been in scrims.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't the narrative going into the NA playoffs that C9 looked weak in scrims?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Crazy Larry posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't the narrative going into the NA playoffs that C9 looked weak in scrims?

I don't know if that was the case in general, but I remember Meteos and Hai both saying that if they were going by scrim results alone, TSM was going to destroy them in the finals

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Jayisspecial posted:

I have no idea how people could hate on C9's surgical stomp of Alliance. Sure, there wasn't a lot of kills because Alliance pulled a Curse and hid in their base, but C9 played the perfect loving game. They shouldn't be able to pull that off against a World's team. What's even odder is all the casters bringing up how dominant the EU teams have been in scrims. Also the way they completely dismissed the C9 game as meaningless. Meteos and his team played one of the best looking games of their careers and the first thing Sjokz says to him is "hmm what a worthless game." Really?

Seems like the EU teams didn't do their homework and were taken by surprise by the pace C9 and LMQ pushed. It brings to mind how people said LMQ was dominating NA early but teams got used to their playstyle. These teams haven't gotten used to it yet, but they might. It's not like they didn't make huge mistakes and have poor vision. They were just so god drat relentless their opponents couldn't figure out a way to counter with their slow poke comps.

I think we could easily see Alliance change their strategy to a split pushing assassin comp and regain their momentum. Fnatic seems far less capable of changing.

Fnatic has a wider champion pool and just played the pick/ban somewhat suboptimally vs LMQ. Peke choked a little while Rekkles was MILES ahead in CS despite his team giving up map presence. If Fnatic gets rid of LMQ's aggressive champs, I feel like they'll outplay LMQ in the long game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They loving harp on scrims all the time when they mean absolutely nothing. It's just bad reality tv to build up drama that isn't there.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
What I wonder is how any LCS casters would have any insight into scrims at all. Aren't they held in complete privacy? Nothing said about them is verifiable. Someone could be like "Yeah Team Kabum wrecked us in scrims they are monstrous watch the gently caress out" and what would you do with that information? I guess it just fills air.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Libertine posted:

What I wonder is how any LCS casters would have any insight into scrims at all. Aren't they held in complete privacy? Nothing said about them is verifiable. Someone could be like "Yeah Team Kabum wrecked us in scrims they are monstrous watch the gently caress out" and what would you do with that information? I guess it just fills air.

Monte is present for some of the scrims, scrim information is divulged at times by teams. You'll find that the Korean teams are SUPER strict about this kind of stuff though and very rarely find out their scrim results or strategies. This is part of why they have sister teams, trust worthy team you can scrim with and not worry about information leaks.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah, I think when they were in Korea most (all?) of the western teams were living at hotels and playing at the Korean Riot offices, and Montecristo said he was able to watch some of the scrims there. I assume the other casters were able to also but idk.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I found it funny how people were shittalking Blue's early game when by 30 mins they were up 10k+. Think they're just a team that plays passive till they reach their item thresholds. Don't think there was another match today that ended so one sidedly. I would actually put them over White to win the whole thing.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

IBentMyWookie posted:

I found it funny how people were shittalking Blue's early game when by 30 mins they were up 10k+. Think they're just a team that plays passive till they reach their item thresholds. Don't think there was another match today that ended so one sidedly. I would actually put them over White to win the whole thing.

If its a Blue vs White finals, it could be likely. Theres a weird triangle of T1K, SSW and SSB where T1K actually takes games off of SSB but gets demolished by SSW and SSB beats out SSW.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jayisspecial posted:

I have no idea how people could hate on C9's surgical stomp of Alliance.

Yep, I loved it. It was a great game.

IBentMyWookie posted:

I agree with you, I still think Blue is the best team in the world.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think EU is used to the "rip someone apart off one mistake" playstyle which is what c9 and lmq tend to excel at in NA as well

this is how korea plays as well, so i dont have high hopes for eu at this point.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i dont think EU is used to the "rip someone apart off one mistake" playstyle which is what c9 and lmq tend to excel at in NA as well

this is how korea plays as well, so i dont have high hopes for eu at this point.

Wasn't that sort of what M5 did? "Give them a finger and they'll take your whole arm" and all that. Perhaps not as cleanly and masterfully as korean teams/C9 though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jayisspecial posted:

The reason is that C9 was not at all surgical, just slow. That, and Balls severely underwhelmed on Rumble compared to Ackerman and Dyrus, who went on absolutely berserk tears with him. But the main point is C9's indecisiveness. Compare the Samsung White vs DP game with C9 vs Alliance. Notice the difference? White gets no kills for a billion years, but even then they create a gigantic snowball and 100% win the game, as fast as they possibly can. C9 has several spots of hesitance and doesn't force their advantages like they should (the instant they got that kill on Shook, they should've forced multiple objectives). Their game was fearful, lacking in decisionmaking, and generally just ponderous. It worries me because it means a fast team will blow them the hell up with a blindside. I'm not looking forward to C9's other matches, tbh. They'll have to show up big time to convince me they aren't just frauds waiting to be exposed once they're out of the softy group they got.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Previous Jesus posted:

Yeah, I think when they were in Korea most (all?) of the western teams were living at hotels and playing at the Korean Riot offices, and Montecristo said he was able to watch some of the scrims there. I assume the other casters were able to also but idk.

C9 and TSM both did walkthroughs of their team apartments while in Korea. Pretty sure any scrim info is just through the grapevine.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Transient People posted:

That, and Balls severely underwhelmed on Rumble compared to Ackerman and Dyrus, who went on absolutely berserk tears with him. But the main point is C9's indecisiveness. Compare the Samsung White vs DP game with C9 vs Alliance. Notice the difference?

Yes: One is a game between a solid choice for the #1 seed and a solid choice for the #16 seed, and one is a game between two closely-matched teams that was expected to be close.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Daemonlasher posted:

Monte is present for some of the scrims, scrim information is divulged at times by teams. You'll find that the Korean teams are SUPER strict about this kind of stuff though and very rarely find out their scrim results or strategies. This is part of why they have sister teams, trust worthy team you can scrim with and not worry about information leaks.

I just find that all to be not worthy of analysis because if I was a team I would just constantly release misinformation about my scrims. No one can verify what's happening so it's just all hearsay.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Niton posted:

Yes: One is a game between a solid choice for the #1 seed and a solid choice for the #16 seed, and one is a game between two closely-matched teams that was expected to be close.

Yeah, White vs. DP is a really lovely comparison. Not that I think C9 was playing to White's level in their game against Alliance, but expecting them to dish out the same kind of surgical decimation that DP received is ludicrous considering the relative talent involved.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, White vs DP is a really lovely comparison. Not that I think C9 was playing to White's level in their game against Alliance, but expecting them to dish out the same kind of surgical decimation that DP received is ludicrous considering the relative talent involved.

Then it's a good idea to not talk about a 'surgical stomp', because it wasn't. 'Shook was a moron who built no MR, Wickd sucks' is a much better match analysis and more honest to what really happened. C9 applied a stranglehold, but it wasn't WELL applied. It could've been easily broken by a better team.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Transient People posted:

Then it's a good idea to not talk about a 'surgical stomp', because it wasn't. 'Shook was a moron who built no MR, Wickd sucks' is a much better match analysis and more honest to what really happened. C9 applied a stranglehold, but it wasn't WELL applied. It could've been easily broken by a better team.

I'd maybe debate that it was reasonably well applied, but you have a fair point. It sometimes feels like the gap between the top Korean teams and every other region's front runners is so great that it sometimes becomes difficult to asses performance. Our actual comparison will come when we see how clean the White Shield win over Alliance is. Alliance won't win baring divine intervention, but I do think they'll put up more of a fight than DP did.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Definitely. Once we start getting the C9/Alliance vs White Shield games, we'll be able to actually judge whether C9 has a shot or if they're going into the trashcan after sneaking out of groups. Should be fun games to watch, even if they're stomps.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Transient People posted:

Definitely. Once we start getting the C9/Alliance vs White Shield games, we'll be able to actually judge whether C9 has a shot or if they're going into the trashcan after sneaking out of groups. Should be fun games to watch, even if they're stomps.

Oh I'm sure they'll go in the can. With Royal Club already seeded to go up against Edward the NA squads will be facing nothing but the best teams in the world, even if all three of them make it out of groups. I could see the Koreans dropping a game or two, but losing a series? That would probably be the biggest upset ever if it happened. Still, I think this has been a really good showing for NA already. Unless C9 and LMQ choke on all their remaining games the region can go home happy however badly they get stomped in the finals. Going from getting none of your teams out of group play on the world stage to potentially all three is a pretty impressive improvement.

Edit: It sounds weird, but of the NA teams I currently give LMQ the best shot at stealing a game if they make it out. Their tendency for reckless aggression gives them the best hope of snowballing any kind of advantage. TSM and C9, with their more measured play, seem much more likely to lose any lead they might luck into, since the White and Blue will just straight out play them given enough time.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 26, 2014

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its pretty much guaranteed that all the 2 seeds leaving groups are going in the trashcan. Theres no team that is going to beat White, Blue, or Shield imo. Just try to enjoy what few games they win in the quarters. I'm hoping for an NA 3some vs Korea :v:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Tonight's games are loving stacked. That is all. Only one Kabum game. The rest is 4 korean vs. western games and OMG vs. Fnatic (twice? Is that right?)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

mushi posted:

Tonight's games are loving stacked. That is all. Only one Kabum game. The rest is 4 korean vs. western games and OMG vs. Fnatic (twice? Is that right?)

G1: NaJin SHD vs.Alliance
G2: Samsung Blue vs.Fnatic
G3: NaJin SHD vs.Cloud 9
G4: OMG vs.Fnatic
G5: Alliance vs.KaBuM!
G6: Samsung Blue vs.LMQ

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Libertine posted:

:getin: dis gon be gud.

If the west wins a game it's gonna be great. If they don't that'll be great too.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

:getin: dis gon be gud.

If the west wins a game it's gonna be great. If they don't that'll be great too.

I don't think there's a single possible result that could be a waste there. Even KaBum! taking a game off Alliance would be a riot.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Libertine posted:

God drat am I glad I slept for like 6 hours this afternoon.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Alliance beating Kabum in 45 minutes by out-CS'ing them would be a perfectly plausible waste of everyones time

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Mash posted:

Alliance beating Kabum in 45 minutes by out-CS'ing them would be a perfectly plausible waste of everyones time

After yesterdays performance I wouldn't be surprised to see Alliance lose to them.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
If the quarterfinals are
NA vs Korea
NA vs Korea
NA vs Korea
China v China

I really don't know if I could laugh harder.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

curiousCat posted:

If the quarterfinals are
NA vs Korea
NA vs Korea
NA vs Korea
China v China

I really don't know if I could laugh harder.

People will then use the fact that 0 NA teams and 1 LPL team in the Semis as evidence of clear Chinese superiority.

Re: scrims, I think hearing about them is useful, but not as a predictor. It is absolutely true that C9 is not a strong team in scrims. In particular, Hai is famous for playing really over-aggressive in scrims, because he wants to find the absolute limit of his champion's damage and all-in.

Likewise, LMQ are very aggressive and not very-tryhard in scrims. Apparently an LMQ scrim involves LMQ all-inning you at the earliest opportunity in lane, and then continuing to all in you at every opportunity. They don't calculate risk, they just go. Apparently CLG vs. LMQ scrims, because Dlift and Vasili just went ham on eachother, would turn in to 40 kill games at 20 minutes all the time. This kind of scrimming has been a consistent reason why people underestimated LMQ.

TSM have always been an extremely dominant team in scrims since end of S3-S4. However, when they were miles ahead of NA they used to pick off-meta champions in scrims so they could scout other teams and hide their own strategies: at various times different orgs refused to scrim them because of it (Dig especially, but also I believe Curse and CLG).

Curse had a rep for consistently missing/being late for scrims in the old days when Saint was running the show.

Shook apparently is godlike in scrims but has never been able to translate it in to real games. Says something about mental fortitude? Or maybe his opponents are trying less hard than in real games.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm sure scrims have uses to the teams (otherwise they wouldn't participate in them!) but there's no way they're representative of actual crunch-time competition.

You see the same in off-season sport, everyone knows the friendly games don't matter and the results shouldn't be taken as an indicator of anything.

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Jayisspecial posted:

Meteos and his team played one of the best looking games of their careers and the first thing Sjokz says to him is "hmm what a worthless game." Really?

Sjokz is confirmed hates NA. She fires shots in the EU/NA thing all the time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Save is insanely good, I wish the camera focused on his play more. Seems they spend the whole game mid and bot.

E: Also LMQ are gonna make it out of groups and take a game off a Korean team you watch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

E: Also LMQ are gonna make it out of groups and take a game off a Korean team you watch.

If anyone can do it, LMQ can. Their hyper aggression defiantly gives them the best shot of converting some early luck into a crazy snowball.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

They are also vs. Blue, who apparently have a weaker early game. And it's not like LMQ has trouble closing games out when they have a lead.

(I believe in XWX. The Dream!)

Honestly, it's the Shield games that have me :ohdear: today. Come on C9, show us what you've learned.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

mistaya posted:

They are also vs. Blue, who apparently have a weaker early game.

I mean, they do, but it's relative to KTA's early game AKA the best in the world. Unlike EDG, who people compare them to, they can trash you early game if they realise they're better at that as well as better late.

But they won't take a 50/50 chance on a lead if they know they will win lategame. Risks have to be calculated against the certainty of being able to win a 40 minute + game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
aww yea time for esports get hype

• Locked thread