Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

A lot of what Apple has integrated into the OS thus far has origins in android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
First afternoon with the 6+: This phone is kind of big :ohdear:

Now: This phone is kind of big :getin:

Also yeah to reiterate what some have said about adding AppleCare+. Just a call, give your name and serial number, your card being billed, and you have it. Like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So uh, perspective zoom is turned off on both my iPad and iPhone and yet 8.0.2 seems to force it on. It's not as dramatic as if the feature's actually turned on, but my wallpaper is definitely moving. It tripped me out for a second since I'm not used to it.

edit: Home screen only, not the lock screen.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 26, 2014

Selane
May 19, 2006

Yep, I just tested it, looks like that's the case. I didn't notice anything since I have it turned on, but I turned it off and it's still happening on the Home screen like you said. Looks like another bug :v: I wonder what else snuck in to this release.

edit: actually it looks like it's happening a lot less when it's turned off, but it's still happening. So I guess they set it to some nonzero value, but it's still a lot less noticeable than when it's turned on.

Selane fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 26, 2014

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Just had a weird one with 8.0.2

I tried to turn down the volume on my music and it went up - then decided to go all the way to 11. Almost like the up button was being continuously pressed.

Even if I went into the app and turned it down it would slide straight back up to full volume straight away. Had to reboot to fix :argh:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

loudog999 posted:

It's going to get even better. The plus is the master race

This is so true. I've been apprehensive (and posted about my apprehensions here a few times lately) about my 6+ I ordered, hemming and hawing during the entire wait for it to get here. Is the phone gonna be too big to pocket it, or pocket it comfortably all day? Is the screen size just way bigger than I really practically need? Will I be able to adapt to not being able to use it one-handed like I have used phones for nearly the last 20 years? Do I need a phone that loving big, especially after thinking big phones were ridiculous and unnecessary since the Note first came out?

The answer, with a caveat that I've only had it a couple days, is that all my apprehensions were unfounded. This phone loving rules, and yes, I need a big loving phone. I absolutely love the Plus so far and couldn't imaging having the regular 6 instead.

It's large, but it is not nearly as unwieldy as I feared. The weight balance of the phone is much better than I expected, and although it's a two handed phone for sure (especially with my smallish hands), I can do more stuff with one hand than I expected as a result of the balance. The phone feels fantastic in the hand for its size, and I can only imagine the normal 6 feels even better. Even though I have yet to hold one, I can tell from the Plus that the normal 6 is probably the most comfortable, thin, light, and awesome looking/feeling phone ever. So yeah the Plus suffers in those department somewhat because it's basically a blown up 6, but it's not a drastic difference. The phone still looks and feels fantastic.

Surprisingly it doesn't really feel that much bigger/heavier in my pocket either compared to my 5. I only notice a big difference when I bend my waist. That's when the height of the phone really stands out, and it is more uncomfortable and restricting to my movement than the 5, but it's not a dealbreaker. On the subject of weight, the extra ~50g of weight on the Plus isn't noticeable much in the pocket, or in the hands after holding it for extended periods. Then again I'm used to using my heavy as gently caress 4th gen iPad for similar 2 handed uses (seriously that thing is a goddamn brick).

So in a perfect world, I think a 5", 5.2, or 5.3" sized phone would be my sweet spot. This 5.5" however is very managable and I am getting used to this awesome device very quickly. I doubt I'll go <5" iPhone ever again, even only after a couple days use. For me, the size of this phone quite manageable and ended up as a painless price of admission to the larger screen, camera OIS, and insane battery life. I can only imagine how much more awesome the plus will be when more applications become optimized for the larger screen. There is a lot of potential here, and I'm hoping Apple and 3rd party developers really capitalize on the Plus' extra display space in useful and unique ways.

One random thought, the fingerprint stuff is so amazing coming from a iPhone 5. I'd never even tried it on someone else's phone, so this is the first time I've experienced Touch ID. I can't believe how responsive and accurate it is. Unlocking my phone with my fingerprint is incredible and I will never go back to slide to unlock again. Also, validating purchases from Apple store with Touch ID? Amazingly cool.

I know a ton of people disagree about the Plus, and the necessity of large phones in general, and their opinions are totally valid. Not everyone needs/wants an 6+, and that is cool. I thought I was one of them -- until I got it. This is just my opinion, posted for the benefit of people who might be in the same situation and mindset as I was/am, in the hopes that it helps make their own decision regarding phone size.

Anyway, yeah. The iPhone 6 Plus Club. :getin:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sometimes your finger will be wet, or your you let your battery die on your phone, and then you have to either put your passcode in or your appleid password in and you will be way more peturbed than you should be about it because you're so used to touchID. At least that's how it worked for me.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Ganeen posted:

Aren't they just vertical 1080p? That should be really easy to find on the internet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vertical+1080p+wallpaper

Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'

Nono it's cool you didn't come off as a dick, s'all good!

I read somewhere that technically they should be 2208x2208 to accommodate for both parallax and the fact that plus rotates in landscape like an iPad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So uh, perspective zoom is turned off on both my iPad and iPhone and yet 8.0.2 seems to force it on. It's not as dramatic as if the feature's actually turned on, but my wallpaper is definitely moving. It tripped me out for a second since I'm not used to it.

edit: Home screen only, not the lock screen.

Are you super sure this has not always been the case? I've always turned off perspective zoom on wallpapers, and yes, while it is less pronounced, there is just the tiniest bit of movement when you move the device. With Apple these days, who knows what's intentional and what's a bug, but for me on an iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5, the same thing has been happening since iOS 7.

In fact, my iPad is still running iOS 7 and it moves even with perspective zoom off, I just checked it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does 8.0.2 fix copy/paste? Not too concerned about HealthKit apps at this time and 8.0 has been solid for me otherwise.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Oh yeah and is anyone else having an issue with not being able to permanently rearrange the order of your share menu items in Safari?

Like copy, add to reading list, add bookmark, etc. I still can't make it so 1Password is permanently the leftmost option. It sticks for a while but when I go back to check everything gets reverted back to the default order again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would be nice if Apple actually put out some HealthKit app updates.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

terriyaki posted:

Oh yeah and is anyone else having an issue with not being able to permanently rearrange the order of your share menu items in Safari?

Like copy, add to reading list, add bookmark, etc. I still can't make it so 1Password is permanently the leftmost option. It sticks for a while but when I go back to check everything gets reverted back to the default order again.

Glad I'm not the only one hating this.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

is there a way to access all my photos and videos other than "collections"? and how come I can't access photo stream?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, how do I go back to iOS?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You walk to the other aisle in the store?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

terriyaki posted:

I read somewhere that technically they should be 2208x2208 to accommodate for both parallax and the fact that plus rotates in landscape like an iPad.

This is true, anyone not using this resolution is in fact a moron fool.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

terriyaki posted:

I've got the same problem, you are not alone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just get an iPhone 6. Everyone knows the resolution for wallpapers is 1334x750.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just get an iPhone 6. Everyone knows the resolution for wallpapers is 1334x750.

Heh, the 6? No thanks.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, how do I go back to iOS?

idgi

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus the vibration motor on the plus sounds like a little big rig horn.

Also there are a lot of bugs and lockuos and crashes right now.

[Edit]
One annoying issue in having is I can't get gmail to work at all with the password I have always had. Just keeps telling me my credentials are wrong. Despite being fine on my last iPhone and being backed up from that. I've confirmed it works elsewhere. It just will not take it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 26, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I don't know if it's just me but I tried swiping a message notification left on the lock screen and instead of just an "x" to dismiss it I now have a blue highlighted "reply" that lets me type from the lock screen. I never had this before.

It may also be the fact that I enabled message previews instead of it just saying "iMessage."

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know if it's just me but I tried swiping a message notification left on the lock screen and instead of just an "x" to dismiss it I now have a blue highlighted "reply" that lets me type from the lock screen. I never had this before.

It may also be the fact that I enabled message previews instead of it just saying "iMessage."
Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like Apple has actually built a thigh simulator for testing phones:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building

Unfortunately I don't see a simulator for hip joints or tight jeans.

If Apple giving us a peak at their development labs is the result of bad PR, I'm all for more bad PR.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Feenix posted:

[Edit]
One annoying issue in having is I can't get gmail to work at all with the password I have always had. Just keeps telling me my credentials are wrong. Despite being fine on my last iPhone and being backed up from that. I've confirmed it works elsewhere. It just will not take it.

If you have Gmail setup as Exchange in Mail.app, you have switch it to Google account. Google stopped supporting Exchange and grandfathered in currently-working devices, but if you change devices or wipe you phone you lose the Exchange functionality.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

[Edit]

Do you use 2 factor authentication? It might need a new one time password to connect.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

CommanderApaul posted:

If you have Gmail setup as Exchange in Mail.app, you have switch it to Google account. Google stopped supporting Exchange and grandfathered in currently-working devices, but if you change devices or wipe you phone you lose the Exchange functionality.

This was easily the worst part of upgrading to my iPhone 6.

Alternatively you can convert a free gmail account to Google Apps for Work (the artist formerly know as Google Apps for Business) for $5 a month with Exchange support and all if push email is worth it for you.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building

If Apple giving us a peak at their development labs is the result of bad PR, I'm all for more bad PR.
At least this should debunk the "it was just sitting in my pocket!" talk.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The Plus will only be awesome if there's software support for it. Using non-updated apps on it is brutal. Like you're using some sort phone for blind old men. Twitter was updated to support the higher resolution, but doesn't even allow landscape mode. If that's the typical developer support the Plus receives then it will be wasted potential.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not using exchange and I don't think i have two factor auth. Very bizarre. Tried setting it up in settings > Mail as Google and also as Other.

Neither worked.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The Plus will only be awesome if there's software support for it. Using non-updated apps on it is brutal. Like you're using some sort phone for blind old men. Twitter was updated to support the higher resolution, but doesn't even allow landscape mode. If that's the typical developer support the Plus receives then it will be wasted potential.
It's been out for seven days.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The new Apple suggested way to write apps is to use Auto Layout and size classes to make a unified iPhone/iPad app. If someone does that, then they should get the landscape mode on the 6 Plus for free (since it is considered compact height and regular width).)

The problem is that if you weren't already using Auto Layout, that's pretty much a UI rewrite. And size classes are brand new to iOS 8.

So I would expect any new apps to follow the Apple plan, but older apps will probably lag behind.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Whirlwind Jones posted:

At least this should debunk the "it was just sitting in my pocket!" talk.

It should, but it won't.

:sigh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

This is awesome.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The joke is that the HTC One looks like an iPhone. It has the beveled edges of the 5S, while the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have the rounded corners (really inspired by the original iPhone though), aluminum backing (again, OG iPhone) and antenna bars on the back from the HTC One.

Things the HTC One has the iPhone 6 Plus does not: front facing speakers, which I've been missing a little bit. Also stickers used for the logo that come off that are held on by a glue that eventually fails. I do not miss that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea but what size inseam is that machine assuming. Are they relaxed fit jeans?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The iPhone Thread: What's your inseam?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks like it's designed to press the phone into the hanging canvas, so I assume that they can emulate the pressure of any pair of jeans, from the baggiest Jyncos to the tightest leather assless chaps (do not put your iPhone in the pocket of your tightest leather assless chaps, goons).

[Edit: actually I'm gonna assume that assless chaps probably don't have pockets anyway so I guess my advice is pointless]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

carry on then posted:

The iPhone Thread: What's your inseam?
34. :smugdog: