Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

But it taught us such interesting new words!

I can't remember if it was in a commentary or something I read but directors on the American side have to remind their people to do anything involving writing on their end because if they trust the Korean finishing studio they're more than likely going to get this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is the 4th line supposed to say "FELONY ENDANGERMENT" and they just gave up trying when they ran out of room?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It looks that way, yes. Like maybe they got the words they needed on a piece of ticker tape that was slightly cut off at the top and bottom.

muscles like this? posted:

I can't remember if it was in a commentary or something I read but directors on the American side have to remind their people to do anything involving writing on their end because if they trust the Korean finishing studio they're more than likely going to get this poo poo.

If I remember that show well, that was the least of the things wrong with it. The CG backdrops they used when Spidey was swinging places looked dated even in 1993, like something out of the Money for Nothing video.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, it was also a show where Spider-Man was never allowed to actually punch anyone and instead of a Morbius being a vampire who bites people on the neck they gave him sucker hands, which were much more horrible.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well, it was also a show where Spider-Man was never allowed to actually punch anyone and instead of a Morbius being a vampire who bites people on the neck they gave him sucker hands, which were much more horrible.

And he doesn't drink blood, but plasma.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vincent posted:

And he doesn't drink blood, but plasma.
What the gently caress. That explains so much.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

But it taught us such interesting new words!

Didn't this also happen in BTAS too?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I saw How to Get Away With Murder on the early (Halifax) feed, and I was quite impressed with the pilot. It's got a clever hook, plus the promise of two on-going mysteries.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't this also happen in BTAS too?
What you mean this page in Dreams in Darkness?

That was on purpose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

That was on purpose

This was a great episode.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I saw How to Get Away With Murder on the early (Halifax) feed, and I was quite impressed with the pilot. It's got a clever hook, plus the promise of two on-going mysteries.

I was originally skeptical, but it actually wasn't that bad. Premise is still a bit strange to me, but I thought it was entertaining.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Cardboard Box A posted:

That was on purpose

That's quite literally the only episode of BTAS I remember, because I have dreams all the time that have words in them, and I use that as my "lucid key" to realize I'm dreaming.

Thanks, Batman!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ravane posted:

I was originally skeptical, but it actually wasn't that bad. Premise is still a bit strange to me, but I thought it was entertaining.

I like it too. For some reason it reminds me of a movie they'd repeat all the time on Comedy Central: Getting In. That was about this kid who got wait-listed for a prestigious medical school coming under suspicion when everyone ahead of him ends up dead. Totally different story, but a similar darkly comic vibe. I like it.

Of course it doesn't hurt that Viola Davis is a motherfucking boss.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Tuxedo Jack posted:

That's quite literally the only episode of BTAS I remember, because I have dreams all the time that have words in them, and I use that as my "lucid key" to realize I'm dreaming.

Thanks, Batman!

I thought I was the only one.

Well, it's not quite the same - I have a hard time falling asleep, so sometimes I try to visualize words as I fall asleep and if I can't create coherent sentences, I can tell I'm at least half-asleep.

Also I remember the BTAS episode where they talk about how they almost got him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chamberk posted:

I thought I was the only one.

Well, it's not quite the same - I have a hard time falling asleep, so sometimes I try to visualize words as I fall asleep and if I can't create coherent sentences, I can tell I'm at least half-asleep.

Also I remember the BTAS episode where they talk about how they almost got him.

It was a big rock.

The best was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2SVDpd8YA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh sweet BTAS is on prime :woop:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Z Nation is way better than it has any right to be.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Blackish was good but it wasn't funny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Z Nation is way better than it has any right to be.

I can't past the ridiculous filters they use for every shot. Is it really cheaper to shoot it that way?

Also, Blackish is complete garbage right? The second I saw the "African coming of age ceremony" I assumed it was just "Rich black guy wants to make his kids more 'black', hijinks ensure".

Like your son comes how and goes "I want a Bar Mitzvah" and rather then explaining it to him that is a specific religions right of passage for those living in the Jewish traditions, you instead let him but make sure it contains enough "black" elements to make you happy.

It seems like they just wanted to make a show about a black family geared towards white audiences so they include all the common comical "white people do this with their black friends" plus "stereotypes but its tongue in cheek so its okay" and "Black culture is African ceremonies and etc."

But Lawrence Fishburn? Really? Is he hard up for money or something?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
He was on CSI for a few years and then was on Hannibal so he's been settling back into TV work for a while now.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Black-ish was actually decent and everything after the ceremony is handled. It comes across like you stopped watching at the moment before everybody - the wife, the dad, the kids - called Anderson out on his overreaction. If that's so, no wonder you hated it. Basically if you look at the episode as a form of cultural mid-life crisis, everything isn't that shrill and it doesn't become as one note as it initially seems. Anderson just has professional stuff going on and he's begun to over think everything in his personal life [hi jinx ensure].

"Boy just wants to grab a boob. Who'd a thunk it?"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The opening credits of Orange is the new Black are so bad they sour me on the episode that follows.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

PriorMarcus posted:

The opening credits of Orange is the new Black are so bad they sour me on the episode that follows.

The credits would be perfectly ok if they didn't go on and on and on and on and on and on and oh you thought they were over? and on and on and on and on and on.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

Only Connect. It's so dry but so, so good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lugaloco posted:

The credits would be perfectly ok if they didn't go on and on and on and on and on and on and oh you thought they were over? and on and on and on and on and on.

This exactly. If they were half the length I could live with them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only Connect rules and I kind of love Victoria Coren

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

This exactly. If they were half the length I could live with them.

I much prefer the shortened/no intros that CW shows do. No matter how well put together the intro to a show is you're going to be watching it over and over again and it will just get tiresome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I much prefer the shortened/no intros that CW shows do. No matter how well put together the intro to a show is you're going to be watching it over and over again and it will just get tiresome.

I dunno, man...there are some shows whose opening credits I could watch over and over. Game of Thrones comes to mind. Then again that one is always slightly different every episode by design which helps.

But yeah, usually even good ones like Deadwood or Dexter get old after the 3rd or 4th episode in a row.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

toanoradian posted:

Old school (late 70's/early 80's) Card Sharks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lugaloco posted:

I just skipped them. It's pretty easy to figure out how far ahead you need to click. Did the same thing with Bojack's interminable opening sequence. (And Homeland, etc)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Penny Dreadful is about to come out on iTunes, is it worth the ~$30?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

toanoradian posted:

Press Your Luck, Supermarket Sweep, Card Sharks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

pentyne posted:

It seems like they just wanted to make a show about a black family geared towards white audiences so they include all the common comical "white people do this with their black friends" plus "stereotypes but its tongue in cheek so its okay" and "Black culture is African ceremonies and etc."

But Lawrence Fishburn? Really? Is he hard up for money or something?

It's Fishburn's baby and early showrunner is Larry Wilmore (until he got another show) and Kenya Barris. Somehow I doubt they would built it the way you just described. Maybe a bit in the pilot early on to easy people in, but I doubt that tone stays.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Oh hell yes. It is insane Victorian melodrama with Timothy Dalton and Eva Green considering the scenery their personal buffet table.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

God no.

I was really unimpressed with Penny Dreadful. It wasn't a total waste of time, but it felt disjointed with the only redeeming qualities being the setting and the would-be Frankenphantom of the Opera.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys are no help.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I will watch anything with Eva Green.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I will watch anything with Eva Green.

You walk a dangerous path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

It's basically a really well done League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in TV series form. It has great characters and acting along with the cool setting and premise that's presented with top notch quality in set design, special effects and makeup. The plot is slow to start and can be meandering, but there's so much other cool and interesting stuff going on that I barely noticed.

• Locked thread