Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

evol262 posted:

Are your guests running inside nested ESXi? Is promiscuous mode on?

This is just trying to get the hosts to ping each other.

All the hosts are inside workstation 10, haven't even put any guests on those.

The only thing outside a hypervisor is the main laptop.

As to promiscuous mode, vcenter can't see the ESXi hosts so I can't check the port groups, I'd have to put everything back into DHCP to see I guess- that may take a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is just trying to get the hosts to ping each other.

All the hosts are inside workstation 10, haven't even put any guests on those.

The only thing outside a hypervisor is the main laptop.

As to promiscuous mode, vcenter can't see the ESXi hosts so I can't check the port groups, I'd have to put everything back into DHCP to see I guess- that may take a bit.

Vmnet0 or vmnet1? Also, the Windows firewall will try to filter ICMP there. Disable the firewall on your virtual adapters if you haven't

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Vmnet5. I doubt it's a firewall issue as the ESXi hosts can't even ping each other.

E: I have been able to get everything to ping each other except for the ESXi hosts to anything but themselves.

I'm going to focus on the config for the ESXi hosts. I can't check promiscuous mode since I can't connect to it.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 24, 2014

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
I'm not sure if this is a Linux question of a VMWare question. For my Ubuntu 14 VM (it did the same thing in 12) running on Fusion 6, I always have a hard time stretching out the window size to fill my screen (27" iMac 2500x1400 whatever resolution). It always snaps back to the 800x600 default or whatever. After about 5 or 6 tries, the window sticks until I shut down again.

Any ideas?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ahz posted:

I'm not sure if this is a Linux question of a VMWare question. For my Ubuntu 14 VM (it did the same thing in 12) running on Fusion 6, I always have a hard time stretching out the window size to fill my screen (27" iMac 2500x1400 whatever resolution). It always snaps back to the 800x600 default or whatever. After about 5 or 6 tries, the window sticks until I shut down again.

Any ideas?

VMware tools (or openvm-tools) installed? That's what handles display resizing in the guest

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Where's a good point to start learning about dVswitches?

I'm managing about 60 VLANs on a single vSwitch and it's getting to be a pain to coordinate changes across 8 or so hosts.

How hard is it going to be to migrate all of those to a dVswitch?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Wicaeed posted:

Where's a good point to start learning about dVswitches?

I'm managing about 60 VLANs on a single vSwitch and it's getting to be a pain to coordinate changes across 8 or so hosts.

dvswitches are pretty straightforward. You could pre-stage all of them with a different name, attach them to each VM, then migrate the network configuration over in the guest.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

VMware dvswitch is easy. nexus 1000v is loving stupid for migration.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

drat, I was expecting an Essentials license! In this case I'd honestly do a one-to-one comparison of the feature-set that you get with you current VMware licensing against Hyper-V. It would also be worth mentioning that that if you wanted to move to Hyper-V while retaining a somewhat-similar feature-set you'd have to get Server 2012 R2 licensing for the hypervisors which would mean additional expenditure and/or training.

Honestly though I'm quite biased towards VMware and it would be really helpful to hear the opinion of a Hyper-V advocate if there are any in this thread (Dilbert as gently caress probably assimilated them to gain their knowledge).

Oh yeah, since we're deploying 2012R2 as guest OSes the hosts are all licensed for Datacenter on EA. I wouldn't have given it a thought otherwise. From what I can tell getting vSphere-like DRS would mean we'd need SCVMM as well, which means we wouldn't save that much on licensing. I'm the only guy really doing day to day on vSphere, or Hyper-V for that matter, but I'd love to change that. Most of the guys here are basically only Windows admins. If someone with experience with both SCVMM and vSphere, I'd love to know what's been easier to manage.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

VMware has released their assessment of the impact of "Shellshock" on their products: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2090740. ESXi is unaffected however virtual appliances are. They don't name which virtual appliances are affected but I can confirm that the VDP virtual appliance is definitely affected (We're running one in our environment and I checked it.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
vCSA, vCOPS, vCO, and vCAC (so every VMware appliance we run) all tested positive to the test string in this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/24/bash_shell_vuln/

The VMTurbo virtual appliance is also vulnerable.

*sigh*

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Honestly it's going to end up being pretty much anything that runs Linux. From what I've read it affects all versions of Bash for the last 25 years.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

AtomD posted:

Oh yeah, since we're deploying 2012R2 as guest OSes the hosts are all licensed for Datacenter on EA. I wouldn't have given it a thought otherwise. From what I can tell getting vSphere-like DRS would mean we'd need SCVMM as well, which means we wouldn't save that much on licensing. I'm the only guy really doing day to day on vSphere, or Hyper-V for that matter, but I'd love to change that. Most of the guys here are basically only Windows admins. If someone with experience with both SCVMM and vSphere, I'd love to know what's been easier to manage.

If memory serves, to get DRS-type ability with Hyper-V, you need both SCVMM and SCOM...

We are a good-sized VMware shop - ~3500 VMs, 83 nodes, 2 datacenters. My team is hypervisor only and we have roughly different 300 admin groups as our customers. We are also licensed for Windows Datacenter on all our physical hosts. I was tasked with doing a POC for a lower tier service since Datacenter Hyper-V is "free" to us with our licensing.

The core Hyper-V and Failover Clustering seemed really solid (and not all that hard to setup if you have some Windows and Windows clustering experience). There isn't a lot of built in reporting or monitoring, mostly just what you could setup for regular Windows servers.

I'll preface this by acknowledging that we were trying to do something SCVMM isn't designed for (unique permissions on a per-VM basis) and that this was all Windows 2012 and SCVMM 2012 sp1 so things might be better now, but SCVMM was a mess in my opinion. Really complicated to setup properly, somewhat flaky with its view sometimes going stale vs the reality of the environment, an inability to see all other users running tasks, basic reporting and performance monitoring stuff I'm spoiled with from a vCenter world just missing (the answer for much of that is SCOM), some genuine "wtf? Did anyone actually use this?" moments like noticing that physical hosts in maintenance mode don't even have a different display icon (something that older versions of SCVMM did do, apparently) or that a host that you pull the power on is "Needs attention" with, again, no "HEY SOMETHING IS WRONG" icon change. I wasn't impressed.

I was particularly annoyed with how you could do some things in SCVMM, some in Failover Cluster Manager, and some in Hyper-V manager, but none of the tools could do everything. An example: Renaming a running VM meant jumping to Hyper-V manager to rename the VM, jumping to FCM to rename the clustered VM role, then going to SCVMM and performing a refresh on the VM so you can see the new name.

We ended up scrapping the project because after needed license acquisitions (namely System Center and a more configurable backup solution than DPM), the price ended up being close enough to a wash to not warrant even considering the retraining that would be needed.

I think if you can get away with not needing SCVMM, that it seems pretty solid although you will have to do something to deal with the lack of monitoring (SCOM). This is basically smaller, integrated shops with a good amount of Windows expertise imho. There are a few things you couldn't do at the time in Hyper-V, like adding storage to a SCSI drive with the VM running, but nothing that can't be worked around with a little effort or some well-designed PowerShell scripts.

Oh, if you go Hyper-V I highly recommend your team have at least a working knowledge of PowerShell... I mean, it is a really good skill to have for vSphere too, but you *will* be in it with Hyper-V.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks a lot, that's really helpful.
We're straight up SMB (450 employees total with an internal IT department of 6) and from working with SCCM; well it feels like I'm building a railway to deliver a pizza every time. And yeah, even the HyperV things we run without SCVMM requires switching between FCM and Hyper-V manager which is not terrible, but trying to explain why it's like that to colleagues, or even yourself, is a pain.
I'm going to suggest we keep doing Hyper-V for smaller branches (where we can get away with a Windows Standard license) and keep vSphere at our main branch for now.

If it's worth anything to ya SC 2012R2 now follows a completely different licensing model (Imagine me doing jazz hands and singing "Microsoft"). You get the full suite (SCVMM,SCOM,SCDPM etc etc) but pay per server you manage (1 Physical/2 Virtual for Standard, 1 Physical/Unlimited Virtual for Datacenter).

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Fancy_Lad posted:

There are a few things you couldn't do at the time in Hyper-V, like adding storage to a SCSI drive with the VM running, but nothing that can't be worked around with a little effort or some well-designed PowerShell scripts.

For general knowledge, live expansion of a VHDX is a feature of Server 2012 R2 now, and worked great on my 4.5TB VHDX file in production.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people have an opinion one way or the other on the Windows cluster-in-a-box products like the Fujitsu CX420? One SKU gets you the chassis, two nodes, shared storage, and 2x Windows Server Datacenter licenses.

It looks like a decent option for SMB virtualisation where the requirements are perhaps for lots of application servers rather than heavy DB loads or VDI, etc. Other than the obvious lack of expansion without buying a SAN, am I missing anything?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people have an opinion one way or the other on the Windows cluster-in-a-box products like the Fujitsu CX420? One SKU gets you the chassis, two nodes, shared storage, and 2x Windows Server Datacenter licenses.

It looks like a decent option for SMB virtualisation where the requirements are perhaps for lots of application servers rather than heavy DB loads or VDI, etc. Other than the obvious lack of expansion without buying a SAN, am I missing anything?

I've been eyeing the Dell VRTX for awhile now to virtualize our low priority office support machines. Same concept except 4 nodes, which to me is the minimum number you'd want for something like this. The lack of expansion and a single point of failure are your obvious downsides.

Then I went to a dell lunch for nutanix and now I really want one those instead, but those are serious cash. Wish they would just sell the software decoupled from the hardware, or have vmware buy them and make it be the new vsan.

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem
Quick question: does the VMware Guest Customization feature require the DHCP service to be available, in order to customize a Server 2008R2 guest and join it to an AD domain? Even if a static IP is specified for vNICs within the customization wizard?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

gallop w/a boner posted:

Quick question: does the VMware Guest Customization feature require the DHCP service to be available, in order to customize a Server 2008R2 guest and join it to an AD domain? Even if a static IP is specified for vNICs within the customization wizard?

Not that I'm aware of.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

gallop w/a boner posted:

It does not! Make sure tools are installed in the guest (though I don't think that even impacts guest customization either but you should be doing this anyway.)

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem
Great, thanks. Just trying to rule out some recent environmental changes. Getting a strange error in the sysprep error log after customisation:

code:
SYSPRP ParseCommands:Found unsupported command line option '/?'[gle=0x000036b7] 
It might possibly be easier to just rebuild this template from scratch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I've been eyeing the Dell VRTX for awhile now to virtualize our low priority office support machines. Same concept except 4 nodes, which to me is the minimum number you'd want for something like this. The lack of expansion and a single point of failure are your obvious downsides.

Then I went to a dell lunch for nutanix and now I really want one those instead, but those are serious cash. Wish they would just sell the software decoupled from the hardware, or have vmware buy them and make it be the new vsan.

I priced up a VRTX through our partner pricing and with 2 nodes its within £70 of the Fujitsu. I'll take that for the expansion options.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

gallop w/a boner posted:

Great, thanks. Just trying to rule out some recent environmental changes. Getting a strange error in the sysprep error log after customisation:

code:
SYSPRP ParseCommands:Found unsupported command line option '/?'[gle=0x000036b7] 
It might possibly be easier to just rebuild this template from scratch.

Eh? http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2011/01/windows-72008-deployment-kms-and-mak_17.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm kind of bummed with the HTML5/Flash vSphere Web UI.

Has anyone had any success running it on recemt Safari under OSX? It seems to work under Chrome, but if I try to launch the VM console under Safari I just get "The console has been disconnected. Close this window and re-launch the console to reconnect." no matter what I try.

Really frustrating. I don't want to run a second browser just to use the web console, and I don't want to run a Windows VM just to manage my VMs. I don't even mind the apparent sluggishness of the Flash UI, I just wish it would work as expected without too much fuss.

I realize that OSX isn't the target platform for VM professionals, but if they claim to support the platform then VMware really needs to work out some of the bugs or just stop focusing on it at all and put more work into the Windows side.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Martytoof posted:

So I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm kind of bummed with the HTML5/Flash vSphere Web UI.

Has anyone had any success running it on recemt Safari under OSX? It seems to work under Chrome, but if I try to launch the VM console under Safari I just get "The console has been disconnected. Close this window and re-launch the console to reconnect." no matter what I try.

It's passable on Safari for everything but the console. Without the client plugin though it's slow as gently caress and the console doesn't work, even in Chrome.

Martytoof posted:

Really frustrating. I don't want to run a second browser just to use the web console, and I don't want to run a Windows VM just to manage my VMs. I don't even mind the apparent sluggishness of the Flash UI, I just wish it would work as expected without too much fuss.

As much as I hate chewing up 20GB worth of disk space for a Windows 7 VM, sadly it's much faster for me to spin up that VM and use the desktop client. I can cold-boot the VM and get to a VM's console inside the VM before the drat web interface has finished loading. :argh:

I hope they get their poo poo together in vSphere 6 with a true cross-platform web client, or at least complete version 10 hardware support in the C# client.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Martytoof posted:

I realize that OSX isn't the target platform for VM professionals, but if they claim to support the platform then VMware really needs to work out some of the bugs or just stop focusing on it at all and put more work into the Windows side.

I just use firefox when I need a console. You should be managing actual VMs via ssh/RDP anyway instead of the remote console.

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

The upshot of that blog post seems to be that Guest Customisation will never work with Windows VMs that have been activated using a KMS key; you can only use a MAK key.

I'm 99% sure we have previously used templates that have been activated with a KMS key without issues :confused:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Thanks Ants posted:

I've played with a VRTX, they are mighty cool. I would recommend it for anyone who needs a smaller cluster. The footprint reduction alone makes it attractive and it has a lot of nice redundancy features. Obviously you still need somewhere to move VMs if you need to power off the chassis.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Cenodoxus posted:

I hope they get their poo poo together in vSphere 6 with a true cross-platform web client, or at least complete version 10 hardware support in the C# client.

Won't happen, C# client is dead. vSphere 6 has an offline version of the webclient for ESXi host management without vCenter.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mattisacomputer posted:

Won't happen, C# client is dead. vSphere 6 has an offline version of the webclient for ESXi host management without vCenter.

Offline version of the webclient? Does this mean that ESXi 6 now hosts a small web client to point at?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

VMware 2010 posted:

C# client is dead.

VMware 2014 posted:

C# client is not quite dead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's quite surprising to me that nobody has managed to build a third party management interface for VMware (that I know of). I am just talking out my rear end, but from what I read you can do a lot of the management stuff with the SDK and the only thing that would be hard-ish is a console view?

But again, the important part of that sentence is "talking out my rear end"

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Martytoof posted:

It's quite surprising to me that nobody has managed to build a third party management interface for VMware (that I know of). I am just talking out my rear end, but from what I read you can do a lot of the management stuff with the SDK and the only thing that would be hard-ish is a console view?

You mean this: https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vmrc/

I have not actually looked at that API, but I will say that VMRC will be getting much more love moving forward.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't know that even existed so that's really cool. So I guess then I am sort of surprised that nobody has cobbled together a third party tool to manage ESXi servers. Again, that I know of.

edit: Linux has vEMan I guess. Neat.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So who is using thinapp, view and workspace all integrated together and how's it working for you? We've started some preliminary testing to replace our xenapp with thinapp and this poo poo looks too good to be true. For only one app we can remove 40 xenapp servers and replace it with a couple file stores and stream a thinapp with better performance and easier management. What's the downside that I'm missing?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
ThinApp runs locally and uses local resources; XenApp (App Remoting) runs on the server and uses server resources. ThinApp also is a "well maybe it will work with my app," whereas XenApp apps install locally and work fine as long as they're compatible with server OS. They're not the same thing, and if you try to replace XenApp with ThinApp, I have to wonder why you ever used XenApp in the first place.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
They're almost the same thing. I realize you're moving the load to the client and off the server but we just did a massive 20k computer refresh so there's lots of processing power to be used outside of our datacenter. Why support a bunch of servers when you can support one thinapp and be done?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why were you even doing the whole VDI thing if you have real PC hardware on the clients and the ability to manage them effectively?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Also we used xenapp in the first place because status quo. Used to have old pc's, no processing power, started on metaframe 3 etc etc etc. Things are a changin. We will still continue to run a xenapp 7.5 environment for apps that can't be thinapped but so far everything we threw at it has passed preliminary testing with flying colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Thanks Ants posted:

Why were you even doing the whole VDI thing if you have real PC hardware on the clients and the ability to manage them effectively?

I work in wide healthcare so vdi is critical for patient care in doctors offices, unattached patient clinics, roaming users who don't have physical machines (students, nurses, etc)

We have a use case for almost everything