Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a flid? Is that another British thing?

Its cockney rhyming slang. Don't worry, I got this.

Flid rhymes with "quid," which is a slang term for the British pound. To share one's opinion on a matter is, colloquially, to give one's two cents. However, due to the advantageous exchange rate between the American dollar and the British pound, in Britain, "two cents" comes out to a pound. Thus, when he says flid, he means to give one's opinion on a matter.

With this established, we can now rewrite his sentence as such

"And yet you're the only one who appears to be [sharing your opinion] about her. How strange."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Its cockney rhyming slang. Don't worry, I got this.

Flid rhymes with "quid," which is a slang term for the British pound. To share one's opinion on a matter is, colloquially, to give one's two cents. However, due to the advantageous exchange rate between the American dollar and the British pound, in Britain, "two cents" comes out to a pound. Thus, when he says flid, he means to give one's opinion on a matter.

With this established, we can now rewrite his sentence as such

"And yet you're the only one who appears to be [sharing your opinion] about her. How strange."

Does this poo poo really amuse you that much Joe? I mean it's not even consistent with real cockney slang, which, aside from you posting it, gave it away.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flid

e: it is still obnoxiously british, which is to say, stupid.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a flid? Is that another British thing?

Stop it England. It has gone far enough.

Put your rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty away, old chap.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Maybe it's time to gas this thread and put it out of its misery.

Only way it could get worse is if we started debating Adventure Time again.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toanoradian posted:

These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

If you're looking for old, speedy, and 'murican, there's a handful of the 1970s run of "Split Second" worth checking out. Also, "Whew!" is pretty awesome, if a little short and complicated.

If you're looking for more recent and international, I'll add to the love for Only Connect, (the app version just hit the US and Canadian App Store. If you have an ipad, it's worth the $1.99).

Episodes of "Million Dollar Minute" from Australia have started showing up on YouTube, and it's a pretty decent cash-only version of "Sale of the Century."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just reading about the real life Seth Bullock and he had a pretty crazy life. Like how he eventually became good friends with Teddy Roosevelt and fought in the Rough Riders. If Deadwood had kept going it would have gotten weird.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Z Nation is actually good. It's like the writers know they're just making a zombie show riding the coattails of TWD and decided to just have fun with the whole thing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Z Nation got to the fresh meat cannibal subplot in 3 episodes, whereas it took TWD 4 seasons.

Z Nation continues to be superior.

Also they wiped out a dozen zombies with the Liberty Bell.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, narrative, plot, and character-wise, Z Nation is several orders of magnitude better than Walking Dead. The Rick Grimes analogue is a secondary character.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also it's a ton of fun. They know what they are and excel at it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

toanoradian posted:

These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

There was only the one season, and they picked Dennis Miller to do interstitial hosting for some reason, but Grand Slam is great fun.

It's like lightning chess the game show. Each player gets a minute on their clock, and answering a question correctly stops their clock and starts their opponent's. There's multiple round styles and the winner's time carries over into the final round, meaning it behooves you not just to win but win well. They got a bunch of game show winners to do it, too, so it's not stupid people. I wish they'd do it again.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Also it's a ton of fun. They know what they are and excel at it.

Hey GreenNight, why don't you create a Z-nation thread so you don't have to talk about it here. Sharknado was a piece of poo poo, just like Z-nation is. It's like watching a B-movie every single week, and if you're into that, great. But don't go telling people it's actually good, it's not. And if it's entertaining, it's only so because everyone knows it's a piece of poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, narrative, plot, and character-wise, Z Nation is several orders of magnitude better than Walking Dead. The Rick Grimes analogue is a secondary character.

I kinda feel like arguing over which is "the best zombie TV show" is like arguing over who is the tallest dwarf.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 27, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ravane posted:

Hey GreenNight, why don't you create a Z-nation thread so you don't have to talk about it here. Sharknado was a piece of poo poo, just like Z-nation is. It's like watching a B-movie every single week, and if you're into that, great. But don't go telling people it's actually good, it's not. And if it's entertaining, it's only so because everyone knows it's a piece of poo poo.

You're an incredibly bothersome poster

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ravane posted:

He was replying to a comment that someone else made (Who also said it was good - strange you ignored them). However bothersome you think his posts are, yours are coming across way worse.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DrVenkman posted:

He was replying to a comment that someone else made (Who also said it was good - strange you ignored them). However bothersome you think his posts are, yours are coming across way worse.

Z-nation's not that bad. I'm just dealing out an appropriate and proportional level of assholery to GreenNight, for all the times he spent being an rear end in a top hat to me. That was actually my last post on the matter.

Z-nation is certainly entertaining, though I wouldn't consider it a "good" show by any means. It's the type of show you watch simply because you know that Asylum will go to lengths that no other production company will and the plot will cover elements that are rarely covered by regular media. It's good by Syfy's standards, though those standards are very, very low. Though the acting isn't bad, the plot is mediocre but this is the type of show you don't watch for the plot anyway.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Personally I'm annoyed by Z-Nation's comparisons to The Walking Dead because it seems less about praising Z-Nation and more about getting in one more slam on The Walking Dead.

Which I guess I understand, given that The Walking Dead murdered your parents and all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And it's really bad too. Sorry about your parents.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Mediocre TV Shows are a superstitious and cowardly lot. To strike fear into them, Ravane shall become Passive Aggressive Internet Man.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

hcreight posted:

Mediocre TV Shows are a superstitious and cowardly lot. To strike fear into them, Ravane shall become Passive Aggressive Internet Man.

Catchphrase: Hey, don't get me angry, I have plenty of time!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I don't think anyone posted this here yet, but the whole first season of Transparent went up on Amazon yesterday. Every TV critic on the internet seems to be in a fight over who can praise it the hardest, but it really is very good. Lots to like, but Jeffrey Tambor's performance in particular is totally brilliant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GraPar posted:

I don't think anyone posted this here yet, but the whole first season of Transparent went up on Amazon yesterday. Every TV critic on the internet seems to be in a fight over who can praise it the hardest, but it really is very good. Lots to like, but Jeffrey Tambor's performance in particular is totally brilliant.

what is it b*ch

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Personally I'm annoyed by Z-Nation's comparisons to The Walking Dead because it seems less about praising Z-Nation and more about getting in one more slam on The Walking Dead.

Which I guess I understand, given that The Walking Dead murdered your parents and all.

Yeah I mean, why would you compare 2 TV shows involving zombies, doesn't make much sense. The Walking Dead is clearly above comparisons to other zombie shows and certainly should be left out of the conversation about better zombie shows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I mean, why would you compare 2 TV shows involving zombies, doesn't make much sense. The Walking Dead is clearly above comparisons to other zombie shows and certainly should be left out of the conversation about better zombie shows.

I understand his sentiment cuz they are about as far different as you can get from eachother and it's like comparing Lost In Space and BSG just cuz they're both about people lost in outerspace.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DP, don't get me wrong, I enjoy Walking Dead quite a bit. More so since I quit reading that shows thread. Z-Nation is a different beast. I enjoy both.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

I think the comparisons have merit, because almost everyone will be mentally comparing them, and flat out saying that Z Nation is basically "TWD minus drama plus slapstick gross out comedy fun times" should hopefully encourage people to give it a try. It's not trying to be TWD, and everything that makes TWD good TV is absent, but its been replaced by a lot of really entertaining stuff.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I'm currently watching :lost: , I've made it to season 6 and just finished episode 4.

Here's what I know: The numbers correspond to each of Jacob's candidates. Someone probably isn't leaving the island. And the two stones, dark and light; the scale is unbalanced when the Smoke Monster throws away the Stone of Jacob, meaning someone is going to have to take his place (as the protector of the island). 100% sure that this is going to be Jack Shephard, given Hawking's destiny speech. Also, it appears that an alternate reality has been created because of the hydrogen bomb, though the only character (of importance) yet to appear is Juliet. I wonder why that is. I think she might be the key to unraveling what's going on in this alternate world.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I must say that the mystery of the flash-sideways universe has what is perhaps the most satisfying resolution of any mystery on the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Defiance just got a third season and Dominion got a season two.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Defiance just got a third season and Dominion got a season two.

Dominion was pretty good when it wasn't bogged down between the human vs. human political squabbles in a show that marketed itself as a "post apocalyptic humans vs angels" show. Everything involving the angel characters was fun to watch, especially Gabriel, but the various human subplots struggled to matter when it was all "conversations over seizing political power" and "pace around talking about political power"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

I must say that the mystery of the flash-sideways universe has what is perhaps the most satisfying resolution of any mystery on the show.

Here's one of those strange moments where I'm not sure if Irish Joe is actually trolling or not but I actually agree 100% with what he's saying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone spoil what it was, I don't remember.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Aphrodite posted:

Someone spoil what it was, I don't remember.

Purgatory.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution. A stick for lazy people to beat the programme with. A stick being held by the lovely end.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 28, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Deadpool posted:

Here's one of those strange moments where I'm not sure if Irish Joe is actually trolling or not but I actually agree 100% with what he's saying.

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. It seems like a troll post, but if you think about it, it could technically be correct, if only because it was one of the very few mysteries that actually got any kind of resolution at all. (I still hated that resolution. It was dumb and lame and dumb and just unsatisfying.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 28, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution.

LOST as a show is hard to describe to people now that is complete without spoiling anything, but the closest I've come to it is "Well, the characters are all fun as hell to watch, but all the shadowy mysterious stuff going on in the background occasionally teased during a season finale? Maybe 1/2 of it will ever be explained or resolved, just let it go and enjoy the show"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. It seems like a troll post, but if you think about it, it could technically be correct, if only because it was one of the very few mysteries that actually got any kind of resolution at all. (I still hated that resolution. It was dumb and lame and dumb.)

And I feel the opposite as the resolution of that particular thing is part of what made me love the finale so much.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution. A stick for lazy people to beat the programme with. A stick being held by the lovely end.

A place outside of time that people use to resolve their issues from life until they're ready to move on to afterlife/heaven.

Nope not purgatory at all.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

let it go

That's the one quote I took away from the show after these years, aside from "Waaaaalt!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manos del Sino posted:

That's the one quote I took away from the show after these years, aside from "Waaaaalt!"

The build up to the finale was insane, and people's reactions immediately post-finale into trying to re-examine the season/episode/series and suddenly claim they discovered something deeper was hilarious. The writers wrote themselves into a corner and just ended it. That wasn't even the first time they wrote themselves into a corner, that's why things kept getting crazier and crazier.

• Locked thread