Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

The size thing should have been meaningless if WWE bothered to try (see Taz in ECW murdering guys like 911), but it's WWE.

And it's not like WWE hadn't handled guys with the "shoot fighter" gimmick. All they had to do for Taz was "Do what we did with Shamrock in 97/98".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DeathChicken posted:

The size thing should have been meaningless if WWE bothered to try (see Taz in ECW murdering guys like 911), but it's WWE.

Kurt Angle was legit afraid that Tazz could shoot on him, so clearly people can buy him as a threat.

Since this is the WCW thread, I will say this: I'm finally starting to get Sting. I loved the Crow in the 18-month build to Starrcade 97 like everyone else at the time, but I always found his other work to be pretty whatever. Watching the 95 Nitros though, I can see why he gets such accolades. Dude had amazing baby face fire and the crowds would go nuts for anything he did. It's helped by the contrast with Hogan, whose character acted like a total piece of poo poo and everybody hated him anyways. Sting was what Hogan claimed to be when it came to morals and whatnot, and I almost feel bad for him taking a backseat to Hogan as the face of WCW. Still hate the Surfer paint though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I think WWE is actually the only place where guys who aren't at least 6'4" and built like bodybuilders aren't "credible" as dangerous fighters. It pretty much revolves around Vince's oddball opinion and the sycophants who feed off that mindset.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Kurt Angle was legit afraid that Tazz could shoot on him, so clearly people can buy him as a threat.

Since this is the WCW thread, I will say this: I'm finally starting to get Sting. I loved the Crow in the 18-month build to Starrcade 97 like everyone else at the time, but I always found his other work to be pretty whatever. Watching the 95 Nitros though, I can see why he gets such accolades. Dude had amazing baby face fire and the crowds would go nuts for anything he did. It's helped by the contrast with Hogan, whose character acted like a total piece of poo poo and everybody hated him anyways. Sting was what Hogan claimed to be when it came to morals and whatnot, and I almost feel bad for him taking a backseat to Hogan as the face of WCW. Still hate the Surfer paint though.

I always liked Sting and it was a shame how he was pushed aside instead of being utilized fully as a foil to the NWO. Like many, many WCW opportunities, it was cast aside to keep Hogan up front and center.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The worst thing they ever did with Sting was to put him in the Wolfpack and have him play third fiddle to Nash, Hall, and loving Konnan

I do fondly remembering wcw production being so bad late in its run that they couldn't figure out if Sting was walking out to the crow music or Metallica and often played both.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 27, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread myself, but as most of my exposure to Sting was with the Crow gimmick, this earlier one is a revelation. One thing I loved was how stoked he was to be wrestling. Him and Luger are tag champs and the Road Warriors appear asking for a title match. Sting couldn't be happier to wrestle them. I think it's the only time I've seen someone so happy to put their title on the line.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I think WWE is actually the only place where guys who aren't at least 6'4" and built like bodybuilders aren't "credible" as dangerous fighters. It pretty much revolves around Vince's oddball opinion and the sycophants who feed off that mindset.

It pretty much revolves around wrestling being a worked sport where "looking tough" is more important than actually being tough, so getting fans to buy tickets/watch a PPV is more important than "dangerous fighter" bona fides.

And it's not like WCW, more or less without any one permanent leadership regime, didn't do basically the same thing when it came to drawing around big, muscular dudes, not just legitimate tough guys. Flair and Savage are the two smallest champs in WCW through all of the 90's until Bret Hart in November '99.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

1st AD posted:

The worst thing they ever did with Sting was to put him in the Wolfpack and have him play third fiddle to Nash, Hall, and loving Konnan

I hated this so much. I like the Wolf Pac (I know) and didn't want him in it. I was upset when he joined.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

1st AD posted:

I do fondly remembering wcw production being so bad late in its run that they couldn't figure out if Sting was walking out to the crow music or Metallica and often played both.

The worst thing about the Wolfpack is that Sting was in it and Scott Hall wasn't. Instead, he spent the year in NWO White teaming up with the Giant, winning the tag titles from Sting and Nash. It was the worst.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread myself, but as most of my exposure to Sting was with the Crow gimmick, this earlier one is a revelation. One thing I loved was how stoked he was to be wrestling. Him and Luger are tag champs and the Road Warriors appear asking for a title match. Sting couldn't be happier to wrestle them. I think it's the only time I've seen someone so happy to put their title on the line.

I'm hoping that's the time where Luger didn't want to face the Road Warriors, and started listing off all the other credible tag teams that they could give a shot. One of them was State Patrol.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Hahaha, after his cage match with the Giant, Hulk Hogan beat up the entire Dungeon of Doom. No wonder people hated the guy around this time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Hahaha, after his cage match with the Giant, Hulk Hogan beat up the entire Dungeon of Doom. No wonder people hated the guy around this time.

I think it was in one of the Observers that the moment Hogan really seemed to lose the crowd was with Uncensored 96. It's a clusterfuck of an event. Hogan sells nothing from Flair, or AA, or any of the others. But he sells the gently caress out of the 'celebrity' guests they bring in.

I've actually found the Nitro episodes pretty fun (And hey, they've now been correctly numbered), but the main event stuff is hard to watch. There's only so many variations on the same main event matches you can see.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

laz0rbeak posted:

The worst thing about the Wolfpack is that Sting was in it and Scott Hall wasn't. Instead, he spent the year in NWO White teaming up with the Giant, winning the tag titles from Sting and Nash. It was the worst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjXUIzfao0
This video compiles clips of interviews with the theme being Hogan/Nash legit heat. About 18min, Nash claims Hogan used his creative control to take Hall away from him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

laz0rbeak posted:

It pretty much revolves around wrestling being a worked sport where "looking tough" is more important than actually being tough, so getting fans to buy tickets/watch a PPV is more important than "dangerous fighter" bona fides.

And it's not like WCW, more or less without any one permanent leadership regime, didn't do basically the same thing when it came to drawing around big, muscular dudes, not just legitimate tough guys. Flair and Savage are the two smallest champs in WCW through all of the 90's until Bret Hart in November '99.
Oh, I don't mean to say that Vince is the first, last, and only guy to obsess over height and a bodybuilder physique. But I don't think that WCW proves that it was a general trend--there was Eric Bischoff, in whose case it was painfully obvious that he wanted to pal around with these big tough athletic guys like the principal guys of the nWo. And then there was the influence of Nash and Hogan, which I don't think I need to get into.

(As an aside, I think it's funny when Kevin Nash does a shoot interview and gets coaxed into saying something like "small guys can't draw" or something about vanilla midgets and smarks go crazy over it. The thing is, when the interviewer asks Nash one of these questions, he and Nash aren't really having a conversation. The question Nash hears is "Should a wrestling promotion give Kevin Nash a ton of money to do nothing?" and his answer is always "Yes.")

That said, it would be disingenuous for me to cite a bunch of guys from decades ago as examples of guys who were believable and over without having "the look," because athletes in other contact sports are significantly bigger than they were decades ago, too. But in WCW, in between Herd's tenure and the rise of the nWo you had guys like Vader, Roberts, Cactus Jack, and others in the main event who didn't exactly fit the same mold as Sting.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Greed, WCW's last PPV, contained several cuts to the back, where Dusty Rhodes orders and consumes burritos, plotting to poop on Ric Flair. So far as I can tell, when he put his butt on Jeff Jarrett's face, no pooping occurred.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xerzes posted:

Greed, WCW's last PPV, contained several cuts to the back, where Dusty Rhodes orders and consumes burritos, plotting to poop on Ric Flair. So far as I can tell, when he put his butt on Jeff Jarrett's face, no pooping occurred.

The next night had JJ kiss Dusty's rear end, it was a donkey.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

The next night had JJ kiss Dusty's rear end, it was a donkey.

Something I learned recently is that Bryan Alvarez had to watch that Nitro on a delay, and one of his friends, knowing this, e-mailed him going "I can't believe that Dusty Rhodes brought back Vince Russo."

As a result, he was so happy to see the donkey.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I hated this so much. I like the Wolf Pac (I know) and didn't want him in it. I was upset when he joined.

The worst part was definitely his facepaint. The entire face being red looked terrible.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single redeeming quality of the Wolfpac beyond their theme being fun to sing.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Come on brother, what's NOT cool about guys in their 40s and 50s acting like 15 year olds? In fact, one might call them too sweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember thinking the Wolfpac only had like 4 members while Hollywood had about 10 but Hollywood still couldn't beat them.

Also at Wargames 98 Luger and Sting got no pyro while Nash had it going off while he ran to the ring and then got knocked out within 60 seconds and did nothing else.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I was happy when he joined, I wanted him to join. Didn't want him with completely red facepaint though. I was a Wolfpac mark, I still have my shirt, and I loved Konnan as well. No guilty pleasures, if you love something, you love it. I loved both the original Wolfpac: Hall, Nash and Syxx (later on with Konnan) and the red and black version.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sorry this was two or three pages ago but wasn't Rick Martel injured during a match with Booker T? I thought the story was Martel was suppose to win and then immediately face Saturn, basically forcing Booker T and Saturn call the match on the fly.

I remember being a huge Booker T fan during his 97-98 singles run and being so bummed that WCW never gave him a t-shirt or if they did I don't remember them ever selling it at any of the shows I went to. Same thing with the other WCW undercard guys I liked at the time save for Jericho and Raven.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've been to the Hulk Hogan restaurant, it's really close to my grandma's house so I popped in one day. The food is painfully generic and is the same basic quality as a loosely aquatic themed Chili's or TGI Fridays. It's not an awful place to eat mind you, but it's worse than other tourist trap type places like Rainforest Cafe and Margaritaville and substantially worse than other local places with similar food. Also the dress code is never enforced because when I was there there was a bro posse of people all wearing jerseys and baggy jorts (but they were all white guys...).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bartok posted:

Sorry this was two or three pages ago but wasn't Rick Martel injured during a match with Booker T? I thought the story was Martel was suppose to win and then immediately face Saturn, basically forcing Booker T and Saturn call the match on the fly.

Yes. It was a TV title match and it hosed up his leg enough that it forced him to retire.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Nitro 35 has a weird rear end ending. There is what seems like 2-3 minutes of silence from the broadcast booth. When they finally show the broadcast table, Bischoff is silent, Heenan has a poo poo eating grin on his face, and Mongo is stammering like usual.

Also, Giant's unitard is cut weird around his rear end so half of it is hanging out.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I understand having to let him talk in the ring, but what was the logic behind letting Mongo do color commentary? Was it in the contract or did someone in WCW genuinely think Mongo was the total package or something.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

RZApublican posted:

I understand having to let him talk in the ring, but what was the logic behind letting Mongo do color commentary? Was it in the contract or did someone in WCW genuinely think Mongo was the total package or something.

It's probably one of those cases where Mongo was getting paid so much money that someone in charge felt compelled to have him do something to justify the expense.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

RZApublican posted:

Americans worship football, so I imagine that the hope was that people would see WCW as a big deal. I don't know if it is just how bad the current WWE announcing is, but I actually don't mind Mongo on the Nitros I've been watching. He doesn't know poo poo about wrestling, but at least he seems to be trying his hardest and is earnest about the product.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wasn't it basically a way to give him something to do while he trained to be a regular wrestler?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thauros posted:

Wasn't it basically a way to give him something to do while he trained to be a regular wrestler?

I wonder how far out they really planned to insert Mongo into the Horsemen? I don't think I can buy that they gave him exposure as an announcer just to set that up.

Although, if it weren't for WCW signing McMichael to be a terrible announcer/wrestler, we wouldn't have gotten his wife, Debra. And if WCW hadn't gone out of business, she wouldn't have met and married Austin, and, well...

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Red posted:

I wonder how far out they really planned to insert Mongo into the Horsemen? I don't think I can buy that they gave him exposure as an announcer just to set that up.

Although, if it weren't for WCW signing McMichael to be a terrible announcer/wrestler, we wouldn't have gotten his wife, Debra. And if WCW hadn't gone out of business, she wouldn't have met and married Austin, and, well...

Actually, Debra met Austin when she first joined the WWF in 1998, and they were married two years later. poo poo most likely went down after the InVasion angle because she was constantly on the road during then and seemed fine.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I've been to the Hulk Hogan restaurant, it's really close to my grandma's house so I popped in one day. The food is painfully generic and is the same basic quality as a loosely aquatic themed Chili's or TGI Fridays. It's not an awful place to eat mind you, but it's worse than other tourist trap type places like Rainforest Cafe and Margaritaville and substantially worse than other local places with similar food. Also the dress code is never enforced because when I was there there was a bro posse of people all wearing jerseys and baggy jorts (but they were all white guys...).

My cousin had his rehearsal dinner there last November (no idea why, none of his family are wrestling fans) and I agree that the food was nothing special. The back area is all cabana bars and volleyball courts, so maybe it's fun during spring break, but seemed pretty dead when I was there.

Jimmy Hart was chilling by himself at the bar and I got to talk to him for a little bit and take a picture with him so that was cool I guess?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Aku posted:

Actually, Debra met Austin when she first joined the WWF in 1998, and they were married two years later. poo poo most likely went down after the InVasion angle because she was constantly on the road during then and seemed fine.

Man, I forgot about Debra being a valet for Jeff Jarrett during JJ's less-sucky WWE phase.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Man, I forgot about Debra being a valet for Jeff Jarrett during JJ's less-sucky WWE phase.

Mongo left WCW for WWF and Debra followed shortly thereafter around the time of their divorce.

Which of course was run as an actual WCW storyline for a while.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Mongo left WCW for WWF and Debra followed shortly thereafter around the time of their divorce.

Which of course was run as an actual WCW storyline for a while.

I'm pretty sure Debra left WCW almost a year before Mongo did, and Mongo didn't go to WWF. His brief time in WWF was before his WCW run.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm pretty sure Debra left WCW almost a year before Mongo did, and Mongo didn't go to WWF. His brief time in WWF was before his WCW run.

Correct. Mongo in the WWF was strictly limited to being a "friend" of LT during the Bam Bam stuff.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Nitro March 10, 1996: SIX MAN DOUBLE STRAP LUMBERJACK MATCH.

Also, Scott Steiner has expanded swollen up considerably since I last saw him on Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hello friends.

Tonight is a special night. For 18 months the nWo has dominated using unfair tactics and displaying cowardly double standards. They've painted the 100 year old WCW title, they've paid off refs, attacked announcers, destroyed the set and tried to destroy our beloved tradition. Tonight that all changes. Tonight STING gets the match we've all been waiting for.

At 8 PM tonight it's STARRCADE 97!

STING VS HOGAN

ZBYSZKO VS BISCHOFF

DDP VS HENNIG

BAGWELL VS LUGER

RAVEN VS BENOIT*

NASH VS GIANT*

MALENKO VS GUERRERO

NORTON, (VINCENT HAS NO LAST NAME, MAYBE MCMAHON?) and SAVAGE VS STEINER, STEINER AND TRAYLOR

*Card Subject to Change

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

The biggest night in history is just hours away.

MCMICHAEL VS GOLDBERG

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
This is the greatest night in the history of our sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

When a man's heart is full of deceit,
It burns up, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul.
From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse,
a wrong that must be righted.
We look the skies for a vindicator,
someone to strike fear into the hearts of the same men who created him.
The battle between good and evil has begun.
Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior,
a purveyor of good, with the voice of silence, and a mission of justice.

This.
Is.
Sting.

Sting is going to save us all, just like 10-year old me knew he would.