Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Another vote for B here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Volmarias posted:

B, it hurts nothing to examine the bodies.

E, Can we ambush whoever is actually coming for these bodies?

This sounds like a good idea. Catch 'em in the act.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B Something else stinks here besides the cadavers. On further notice, it sounds like the servitors were the ones to drop the info about the corpses in front of these skeevy rear end in a top hat.

"The room smells familiar, like… iron. And rust. It almost smells like a Forge-World, although the room has very little that you can see that is mechanical." This could just be describing blood but I really think that this could be a potent clue.

We might really want to clean house for a heretek and look into the history of the machine cult and the rogue trader here.

quote:

The live feed comes forward again, showing servitors and their handlers going through the pressure seal. They are given a lot of hostile looks by the new pilgrims, but the flagellant chains provide them a wide berth, until they too head into the Deeps. They move differently from servitor models you are familiar with, which could be suspicious on it’s own. Following them shortly behind, a supply train of dozens of containers on wheels. It could easily hold a hundred heretics, but you’ve seen such things usually delivering delicacies to the bars and restaurants. Still, what better place to hide, except a delivery service?

My new prime suspect for this poo poo are these people.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B

We need more information because another family member (Widow Maker?) claimed this was solved. Why? Whether we definitively solve it or not we need the dirt on them. It is either laziness or an active cover up. Negligence or Malfeasance. Knowing would be quite valuable to us.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This guy is of more use to us alive. We can use him against Cruentus and another way for us to find the actual murderer.
+B

Edit: And thanks OP for incorporating my line.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

+B

Edit: And thanks OP for incorporating my line.

Always happy to steal from be inspired by my readers. :v:

edit: Wow, almost universally chosen B. I thought that would be the dead option too.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

LowellDND posted:

Always happy to steal from be inspired by my readers. :v:

edit: Wow, almost universally chosen B. I thought that would be the dead option too.

And miss the chance to humiliate Cruentus?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

And miss the chance to humiliate Cruentus?

Poor Cruentus. I really thought he'd make it to the semi-finals.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LowellDND posted:

Poor Cruentus. I really thought he'd make it to the semi-finals.

Gee, cousin Bloody did something reckless? What a surprise.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

We don't have any good reason to be down here and looking into this stuff. Trying to turn him in would raise a number of questions, and make us enemies. Don't discredit Cruentus unless we have a good excuse for having stumbled across his deceit.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
He is probably the serial killer.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B

FireSight posted:

We don't have any good reason to be down here and looking into this stuff. Trying to turn him in would raise a number of questions, and make us enemies. Don't discredit Cruentus unless we have a good excuse for having stumbled across his deceit.

We were investigating a group of oddly acting servitors, and followed the guy who seemed to be heading to the location they mentioned. :v:

Sogol posted:

He is probably the serial killer.

Or the killer's flunky. Either way, we have to investigate this.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

FireSight posted:

Cultists carve up bodies, right? That's why we're here!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Cultists carve up bodies, right? That's why we're here!

Yes, that IS why we are here. However, nobody knows we work for the Inquisition. That means that while we HAVE a reason, we don't have one that we can actually present to anybody who isn't also employed by the inquisition..

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In that case, sending those pilgrims to full processing was a great excuse for whatever else we're doing down here.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Volmarias posted:

B, it hurts nothing to examine the bodies.

E, Can we ambush whoever is actually coming for these bodies?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
B, lets get some more info.

But basically this guy looks and sounds like he's telling the truth. Lets not process him. This guy is a con-man piece of trash who knows the area, and probably has lots of questionable contacts. This piece of poo poo is an asset. We've got friends in low places, lets make get some more. Let him go, but tag him with a locator chip if we have one, and tell him he owes someone a favor, he never saw us here, he was never here and he should never be here right now, buzz off dipshit.

Then we should summon the Grey cloaks, tell them we found the place like this and let them take over the investigation, we've done enough already (i.e. discrediting the one who 'solved' the murders already).

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
If anyone has a bit of time and hasn't read Kafka I think this Kafka piece The Penal Colony has useful tone for the thread. Also "The Hunger Artist" maybe.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

FireSight posted:

Let's file this for when the lord-sire (or other higher up) asks.
"Why I went among the rabble? To dig up dirt on my rivals." not working for the inquisition, no sir.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, could be as easy as "Something didn't feel right, I thought I'd have a look myself. It was pretty easy to find if you have the right mind. *shrug* Not sure how he missed it to be honest. Anyway, I have to go do tech-priest stuff now."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Awesome, awesome. We've got some good speculation here, some plans about how to play politics in the Deeps and with the Family, and another plotted ambush. Grognan, I'm really pleased with how far back you are checking for details :D and a Heretek plot line could be pretty exciting, if we end up going that way.

Since Examine the bodies is unanimous as far as I can tell, Ill give you some more information, and you can plan from there.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CSI: Beast of Trall Traal

With another shriek of binary, Megabite leaps on top of Za’kerah, pinning him to the ground amidst his wastes and fluids. Ignoring his pathetic mewling, you stride over to the bodies, nose twitching in distaste as the smell of decay floods them. Your internal sensors are already running calculations and tests, matching your initial guess; the bodies are dead less than 24 hours, and are in most unpleasant stages of decomposition.

Initial examination shows that the signs of struggle were minimal; perhaps in the last minute of death only. The ground itself lacks any disturbance, pushed material, tracks of dragged feet, or any attempts to escape. It looks like all of them came here without force or coercion, suggesting that the killer had impressive skill in lying - or perhaps access to vile witchery.

However, here is where it gets interesting. The last moments of death (spread over perhaps an hour for the entire group) did show signs of struggle, with scratches along the face and arms. It appeared that whatever lies or powers that had gotten this far had either stopped working, or had left the scene. Instead, the bodies show signs of powerful physical restraints.

You don’t see signs of mechanical apparatus; it could be as simple as someone with great strength, although you are still speculating as to why the others didn’t attack the killer while he did so. Perhaps they thought submission equaled survival? You’d heard that happened with organics sometimes. Being unable to run simulations through prayers to the Omnissiah produced actions that seemed otherwise inexplicable.

The chest injuries match on all the bodies. It appears the rib cage was opened while alive, perhaps with some sort of powerful vice. The injury itself suggests seven points of entry; perhaps five fingers and two thumbs? [static] You aren’t aware of any vices that would be used for this purpose. Perhaps a mutant of some kind? You know that a nest of them were recently cleansed by Limosa, maybe one escaped and wants revenge.

The interior of the bodies are … odd. Hearts, livers, and tongues removed, with great force and enthusiasm. It looked like the [static] heart had been removed last, which meant these organics had died badly. An unpleasant way to go, all in all. Idly, you wondered why other organs hadn’t been taken. Perhaps the killer was some sort of great animal? But then why had he been speaking with the servitors?

Pushing aside the intestines… eugh. That’s not supposed to be there.

Some sort of synthetic organ or gland, apparently grafted [static] onto the intestines. It looked like it had been placed [static] in all the bodies, and was still pulsing [static] in some manner. Shaking your head, you try to clear the malfunction. Something’s wrong. Diagnostics aren’t [static] working. Looking around, Megabite is crouched on her haunches, getting as low as possible, mouth a gap of teeth [static] and fear. Za’kerah seemed to be entering some sort of low level seizure.

Shuddering, you begin to smell ozone and musk, even as the binary inside your head begins buzzing incomprehensibly. Looking through a gap in the wall, you see a handful of figures approaching. Servitors, or people [static] disguised as servitors. And someone [static] in robes, fully covered, but moving [static] with the lithe grace of the unattainable.

A) Have Za’kerah act as a feint while you get on the second floor for Ambush. You have a grenade, two guns and Megabite, and you’ve cleared twice this number just this morning.
B) Have Za’kerah act as distraction while you and Megabite Run
C) Ask Za’kerah about any Secret Routes out of here, he wouldn’t go to a place like this without a back up plan.
D) Stand and wait, it’s better to Negotiate through a position of strength.
E) [Static]

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We're dealing with a heretec, or we're dealing with genestealers... :gonk:

B

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

We're dealing with a heretec, or we're dealing with genestealers... :gonk:

B

Heretek, can't be genestealers. Could be Dark Eldar though.

Voting C, but we booby-trap the bodies with our grenade.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

If anyone has a bit of time and hasn't read Kafka I think this Kafka piece The Penal Colony has useful tone for the thread. Also "The Hunger Artist" maybe.

That was a disturbing read, thank you. Id previously only read Metamorphosis and Trial. I kind of expected the traveller to be put in the machine after the condemned man was set free, that the officer jumped in instead was bizarre

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A plus booby trap

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B nope nope nope nope nope this is something that requires backup. Get out immediately.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
e: Never mind, we don't have enough XP

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sogol posted:

I read it and have no idea what to think or what I'm supposed to think.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

e: Never mind, we don't have enough XP

After this scene I plan to distribute XP, so plan away

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Outrail posted:

I read it and have no idea what to think or what I'm supposed to think.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Volmarias posted:

B nope nope nope nope nope this is something that requires backup. Get out immediately.

We got something Unholy going on here AND about to be outnumbered.
It might actually be a good idea to kill Za’kerah so he can't describe us for his own good.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Don't be a bunch of babies. A let's get this over with!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A. Only traitors and cowards run from the enemies of the Emperor.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A, also call some greycloaks to where you are as back up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x x x x
B x x
C x
D

Interesting. :black101: Poll still open, of course, but interesting.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets get out of here! :gonk:

B

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Hearts, livers and tongues? Sounds like whoever killed these people was in need of iron. Perhaps they are deficient and need it badly enough that they are talking it by force. Perhaps they have Porphyria?

Also, C for survival, since they're messing with our coms. That could lead to us getting in trouble with no way out later.

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A fun explanation for the situation at hand would be a halo device. :v:

Fortunately, it's a highly unlikely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

A fun explanation for the situation at hand would be a halo device. :v:

Fortunately, it's a highly unlikely one.

But one I looked into quite a bit when writing the story arc :v: