Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
In Deadly Premonition you drive around a small town stalking people and staring into people's windows, while York talks to you about old movies and punk rock. It's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

beep by grandpa posted:

edit: while I'm at it, sell me on Yakuza as well.

http://youtu.be/zvuhjo413rQ?t=25s

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I stopped watching DP about halfway through when it first came out and having rewatched it all the way to the end I really regret not going through with it in the first place. What a fantastically insane ending that game had.

Yakuza is almost worth watching just for the heat moves.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Deadly Premonition is the greatest game ever made. It is something that must be experienced first-hand, just watching doesn't do it the justice it deserves. The gameplay is actually not too bad and can be fun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Deadly Premonition takes a bit to get going even if you're watching an LP (especially TBFP's LP), but from the town meeting forward every plot scene is a thing of beauty. And seriously, the plot goes some crazy places, there's a reason why people compare it to Twin Peaks so often. If you want me to sell you on this specific LP, well, you get to see Pat LOSING HIS poo poo at EVERYTHING. And after they get a couple of items it moves a bit faster because gameplay becomes a non-concern.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

I wasn't really feeling it on the earlier episodes, you've convinced me to get back into that lp :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Deadly Premonition is the greatest game ever made. It is something that must be experienced first-hand, just watching doesn't do it the justice it deserves. The gameplay is actually not too bad and can be fun.

After 100%ing Deadly Premonition I wanted nothing to do with the game ever again. The gameplay is complete loving dogshit which is a shame because the game is absolutely amazing.

Don't play Deadly Premonition, watch SGF's LP of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

After 100%ing Deadly Premonition I wanted nothing to do with the game ever again. The gameplay is complete loving dogshit which is a shame because the game is absolutely amazing.

Don't play Deadly Premonition, watch SGF's LP of it.

I disagree. Definitely worth playing for yourself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Another great Fisticuffs, with one of the best endings their videos have had in ages.

THIS IS HOW REPARATIONS ARE COMING!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie truly is a liar, Trail of Dead is a fuckin' band you deceiving prick.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

beep by grandpa posted:

Somebody sell me on Deadly Premonition. I watched what felt like an eternity and there was still no gameplay. What's the draw?

It's better written and has a more interesting and consistent story than anything David Cage has ever made.

edit: Sumo Guy for president 2016

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did anyone mention how you shouldn't play Yakuza 1?

Don't play Yakuza 1. It's got the best story of the series but far and away the worst gameplay. Find an LP. I'm pretty sure there's one in the archives even.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Road to the Final Victory is on the website.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Did anyone mention how you shouldn't play Yakuza 1?

Don't play Yakuza 1. It's got the best story of the series but far and away the worst gameplay. Find an LP. I'm pretty sure there's one in the archives even.

You'd honestly be fine just playing Yakuza 4.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Part 12 of TWD is out now.

They were really pulling for Sarah to make it through the whole season. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The developers apparently hated Sarah and wanted you to hate her

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How many more episodes are there, game-wise?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's 1 more episode in the Walking Dead Season 2. I imagine Matt and Pat will be doing an hour long episode as they are wont to do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow this game is a lot stupider than I thought it would be, after seeing the choices matt and pat made I checked to see every other choice and its consequence, nope, not a Goddamn difference no matter what choices you made.

I'm super glad I never bought into TWD hype neither for the game nor the show.

I mean, they EXPLICITLY did not steal from the Russian dweeb but the scenario still insists they had. Wow.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Relevant because the zaibatsu have talked about him on the podcast a lot, Giant Bomb did a video the other day looking at an old PS2 demo disc and found video of "Tom" Itagaki without sunglasses on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Relevant because the zaibatsu have talked about him on the podcast a lot, Giant Bomb did a video the other day looking at an old PS2 demo disc and found video of "Tom" Itagaki without sunglasses on.

He looks as if he could stare into my soul like Ghost Rider.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow this game is a lot stupider than I thought it would be, after seeing the choices matt and pat made I checked to see every other choice and its consequence, nope, not a Goddamn difference no matter what choices you made.

I mean, they EXPLICITLY did not steal from the Russian dweeb but the scenario still insists they had. Wow.

Not that it really changes anything, but Jane kept his revolver.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Al-Saqr posted:

This is kind of ridiculous.

"I'm super glad I decided to hate this thing because it was popular!"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm still mostly OK with S2 (though agree it's nowhere near S1) but I agree that was total bullshit. They could have easily had the scenario still play out but instead have it so Arvo is apologetic but his friends still want to rob them, instead of Arvo still acting like he got robbed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

This is kind of ridiculous.

"I'm super glad I decided to hate this thing because it was popular!"

No I don't hate it I'm just indifferent to the zombie genre in general, I kind of miss-spoke but I meant that I didn't get invested into it the same way that those Kenny fans are.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay yeah that's fair then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Waifu posted:

The developers apparently hated Sarah and wanted you to hate her

Seriously? That's kinda hosed up if that is how things went.

"Hey let's put this kinda borderline autistic/anxiety ridden/some kinda mentally hampered kid in the game, but get this, she's a REAL fuckin bitch, right?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously? That's kinda hosed up if that is how things went.

"Hey let's put this kinda borderline autistic/anxiety ridden/some kinda mentally hampered kid in the game, but get this, she's a REAL fuckin bitch, right?"

I'm pretty sure the people at Telltale are not weird stilted caricatures of human beings so the conversation was probably way less oblique than that.

edit: By oblique, I mean stupid.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure the people at Telltale are not weird stilted caricatures of human beings so the conversation was probably way less oblique than that.

edit: By oblique, I mean stupid.

Well here's a video by IGN with the guys from Telltale about everything that happened in episode four if you wanna see exactly what they say.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't hear them say anything remotely about how they wanted people to hate Sarah.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well here's a video by IGN with the guys from Telltale about everything that happened in episode four if you wanna see exactly what they say.

Wow theses guys are robots in human form.

"beep hoop it is logical to disregard Sarah chances of survival and not bother to write a difficult character who might have provided an interesting look at overcoming psychological blocks and learn to overcome your weaknesses nope she is broken end of story you must hate her beep hoop"

Those guys are seem like software engineers who were given Microsoft word and asked to become writers. It's really stark how big a hole the A team left when they formed their own studio.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 27, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So in what ways is s1 better than s2?

e: serious question

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Blockhouse posted:

I don't hear them say anything remotely about how they wanted people to hate Sarah.

Yeah Beef seems to have exaggerated on the part of the writers themselves but boy that IGN guy sure was spouting some awful bio....hazard-truths?

Yeah that's it biohazard-truths. Trying to justify something happening in zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction by saying that it was for the greater good and the potential ends justified the means.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

2nd question: how do zombies get up stairs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

straight jerkers posted:

2nd question: how do zombies get up stairs

I still can't believe I saw some zombies step over a windowsill to get at the survivors. I must still be stuck on the old-school slow shambling idiot zombie then.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah Beef seems to have exaggerated on the part of the writers themselves but boy that IGN guy sure was spouting some awful bio....hazard-truths?

Yeah that's it biohazard-truths. Trying to justify something happening in zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction by saying that it was 'for the greater good!' and 'the potential ends justified the means!'

Carver-truths

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I literally slapped my forehead in shame and disbelief at the utterly, stupidly self defeating move woolie made during the latest episode of dark souls 2, wow woolie, as if the game literally yelling at you to not do something if you knew what's good for you wasn't enough.

Now I know why 'do not steal the pie' signs never works with him.

"B-b-b-but I just wanted to find out what the filling is!"

It's cyanide, woolie. Pure cyanide pies. Now you know.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

straight jerkers posted:

So in what ways is s1 better than s2?

e: serious question

There's much less constant group shifting, the extras that show up are mainly side characters who just provide tone and junk, so you have a long time with a core group of characters to feel a connection in characters with. The writing is, generally, a good bit better too, there's less a focus on constant crushing "LIFE IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD" and more a focus on character drama being the biggest force of badness. In 1 life doesn't suck because a kinda autistic maybe kid got eaten by zombies, life sucks because Kenny clearly is watching his plans crumble before his eyes and is drinking and lashing out at people. Life sucks because Ben hosed up REAL bad and instead of being an rear end in a top hat about it he just kinda is really crushed and basically begs you to have some kindness instead of making a big dramatic "I DO WHAT I DO FOR SURIVIAL" speech.

Lee and Clem are also a way stranger gestalt character than Clem is alone, Lee is super not a dad and Clem spends most of the game expecting to find her real parents. There's this weird awkward arc along the whole game of a dude who kinda did a hosed up thing in his past trying to get a second chance by caring for someone helpless, and the zombies and poo poo are just environmental details.

Basically what I'm saying is Season 1 is a character drama that happens to take place in zombie world, but Season 2 is a zombie story that happens to have some drama mixed in between face eatings.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

It's not that video, the "apparently" comes just from like some general agreement I've been seeing. The lack of wanting to commit to the character's development, leaving her to the wayside to just die, and basically the not-choice in episode 4 just make it seem as if they never really wanted you to attach yourself to the character or they planned this really poorly (Also a high possibility). It's such an unceremonious death and no one really thinks about it afterwards, just "OKAY SARAH DIED, LIFE SUCKS, LET'S GO." It's sort of the same problem with how they treated Nick, where they created a scenario where you can let Nick die if you want to, but wait... since we gave the option to let Nick die, what happens if he's a part of any important scenes where he survived? Nope, we don't want that possibility, make him barely a character anymore and have him die off-screen.

It doesn't help with that video where the IGN dude brings up wanting to slap Sarah and the IGN dudes are like, "WELL WE WANTED TO ENGINEER A SCENARIO WHERE IF YOU HATED SARAH AND WANTED TO PUNISH HER YOU'D HAVE TO DEAL WITH HER" ignoring the loving fact she still dies later in the episode and barely even speaks up to that point because Telltale.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Welp Pat just hosed Woolie with his lies, Navlan invades you regardless if you were human or hollow when you free him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Welp Pat just hosed Woolie with his lies, Navlan invades you regardless if you were human or hollow when you free him.

Once again, Pat doesn't actually know that much about Dark Souls. He just knows more than Woolie.