Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Sven Co-op owns. I still love the Richard Boderman map with the Apocalypse Now references and the Tetris maps with the music you can change. I hope the new version gets more people in because being in a relatively crowded server doing some of the maps is just magical :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxnwax7jzYs
A quick look at the planned movement system for reflex. I'm looking forward to some sick stake jumps.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

horse mans posted:

I've been getting some crashes in GZDoom on OS X with the following command line:

code:
~/Games/Doom/launchers/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/GZDoom \
-iwad \
~/Games/Doom/iwads/doom2.wad \
-file \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL\ Arsenal\ Beta\ 7.93.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL\ HUD.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRL\ Monsters\ Beta\ 4.6.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-Brightmaps \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLMonsters
I built GZDoom from commit c33b33 of the osx branch. Does this look off to anyone?

Gonna bother the thread with this again. Anyone else using DoomRPG that would have some insight?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Don't you have to specifically call out each file to load, so I think ~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal \ isn't actually loading anything.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't you have to specifically call out each file to load, so I think ~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal \ isn't actually loading anything.

GZDoom seems to be smart enough to know what I mean and load the contents of those directories:

code:
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/launchers/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/gzdoom.pk3, 592 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/iwads/doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/megawads/hellbnd/HBFM29.wad, 11 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/megawads/hellbnd/Hellbnd.wad, 559 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL Arsenal Beta 7.93.wad, 3896 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL HUD.wad, 484 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRL Monsters Beta 4.6.wad, 4220 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG, 2027 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-Brightmaps, 770 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal, 27 lumps
 adding /Users/horsemans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLMonsters, 6 lumps

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Using GZdoom G1.9pre-772-g09a68e8 (2014-08-03) on Windows 8, it works fine with the similar batch file

code:
gzdoom.exe
 -iwad doom2.wad
 -file .\pwad\DoomRLArsenal.wad
       .\pwad\DoomRLMonsters.wad
       .\pwad\DoomRLHUD.wad 
       .\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG 
       .\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG-Brightmaps 
       .\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG-RLArsenal 
       .\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG-RLMonsters

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can we talk about HL2 here?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah, I've complained about HL2 in the past, so the seal is broken on that tomb. Talk away.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

We were talking about Halo and Call of Duty earlier, if it involves guns I think it's fine to talk about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tomorrow the SS1 devs are doing another stream, hopefully this time with the A/V issues sorted out. As before, it's at http://twitch.tv/algorithmancy at 1300 PST. Be there, or be rent apart, and put separate from the joy of the mass.

Zeether posted:

Sven Co-op owns. I still love the Richard Boderman map with the Apocalypse Now references and the Tetris maps with the music you can change. I hope the new version gets more people in because being in a relatively crowded server doing some of the maps is just magical :allears:

There's a new version of Sven coming out? Awesome. I played that mod to death back in the day.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alright, Plutonia's in the bag. Took about 7 hours on HMP, not counting repeated reloads of quick saves.

I liked a fair bit of the level design, admittedly. I didn't like their propensity for starting the maps off in rooms where you're totally surrounded by monsters that will all come gunning for you the instant you thrust your fist through the air, or even worse, their propensity for the same situation with at least a couple of the monsters already facing you, to force you to wake up everyone else ASAP. Kind of a dick move to not let me get my bearings first. Also didn't care for how they couldn't consistently decide which liquids hurt you and which didn't, sometimes within the same map (this pool of blood mutates you, this pool of blood does not), and even deciding that the one liquid generally unanimously considered harmless, water, will hurt you in one very specific area (I think it was a water fountain with a Berserk Pack atop it somewhere in Episode 1).

Still, pretty good fun. I think Episode 1 was the highlight, though Episode 3 had a few decent maps here and there.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a new version of Sven coming out? Awesome. I played that mod to death back in the day.
Yeah, a completely free standalone version of Sven coming out on Steam as it's own separate thing. Valve gave them a license to modify the gold-source engine as well so that should allow them to bypass whatever limitations they encounter.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Duke 3D monsters are retarded even by early FPS monster standards. This battlelord kept walking into the wall instead of moving to the side a bit to get an actual shot at me, letting me gun him down from complete safety.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Duke 3D monsters are retarded even by early FPS monster standards.

Counterpoint to this though are the Kamikaze Drones. Those fuckers will actively swerve to avoid incoming projectiles aimed at them. I can't think of any other enemy in a 2D FPS than has enough self-awareness to dodge anything.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good mega WAD for Brutal Doom? I only ask since I know it's balance changes gently caress a lot of mega WADs up, or else I'd just grab one of the ones in the OP.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bouchacha posted:

A classic and it's old as balls (:smithicide:).

The only misgiving I have about HL2 is that its AI seems to be much worse than HL1's, and there's no feedback to the combat. Enemies don't react when they get shot so it isn't very satisfying.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Can anyone recommend a good mega WAD for Brutal Doom? I only ask since I know it's balance changes gently caress a lot of mega WADs up, or else I'd just grab one of the ones in the OP.

Brutalized Doom/Doom 2 is a remixed version of the classic Doom and Doom 2 campaigns with new areas and much higher enemy density.

There's an official campaign coming from the Brutal Doom dev, hopefully due out soonish too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vakal posted:

Counterpoint to this though are the Kamikaze Drones. Those fuckers will actively swerve to avoid incoming projectiles aimed at them. I can't think of any other enemy in a 2D FPS than has enough self-awareness to dodge anything.

Strike Team guards in ROTT would dodge rockets fired at them.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I dug into some HL2 mods and absolutely loved Mission Improbable. It's amazing how much work and detail they put into it, it's what I'd consider Valve quality. There's some clever little details, like placing a row of pots and pans right where a gunfire exchange is likely to happen.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
How is it I never played Blood or Blood 2 until now? Not only are they great 90s FPS games but I'm digging the dark humor. Naming Easy/Medium/Hard difficulties as Genocide/Homicide/Suicide is one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen in a game. Oh, and the game is pretty drat good though it's got that annoying gimmick you saw in late '90s FPS games where platform jumping had to be done even though FPS games suck at it (even Half-Life 1 dug into this trend).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

I dug into some HL2 mods and absolutely loved Mission Improbable. It's amazing how much work and detail they put into it, it's what I'd consider Valve quality. There's some clever little details, like placing a row of pots and pans right where a gunfire exchange is likely to happen.

IIRC it's made by some devs at :dice:, so there's certainly some pedigree behind it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just updated the OP a bit. Let me know what else I should add!

Justin Godscock posted:

How is it I never played Blood or Blood 2 until now? Not only are they great 90s FPS games but I'm digging the dark humor. Naming Easy/Medium/Hard difficulties as Genocide/Homicide/Suicide is one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen in a game. Oh, and the game is pretty drat good though it's got that annoying gimmick you saw in late '90s FPS games where platform jumping had to be done even though FPS games suck at it (even Half-Life 1 dug into this trend).
Sounds like you're playing Blood 2, judging by the mention of the wonderful skill setting names. If you like that game, Blood 1 will blow your mind.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I consider myself to be no more than an average Doom player, but Scythe on Hurt Me Plenty with Brutal Doom is incredibly fun. Yes, the final levels will drive you mad, but I still consider beating it to be my greatest 2.5D achievement. Give it a try; the ending will drive you mad, but in a worst-case scenario you just quit and had a fun ride. In a best case scenario, you reach a temporary Zen-like feeling of flow that only few games manage to offer.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Scythe is basically required dooming no matter how you choose to slay demons.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Unholy Realms.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, Hellbound is such a goddamn slog.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Do not play on UV. Enemy density is just bullshit high on that difficulty, as it's balanced for one setting lower.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Just updated the OP a bit. Let me know what else I should add!

Super 3D Noah's Ark!

http://wisdomtree.itch.io/s3dna

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Play it with Russian Overkill. Seriously, it's so much more fun with RO it's not even funny.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

M.Ciaster posted:

Play it with Russian Overkill. Seriously, it's so much more fun with RO it's not even funny.

I'm pretty sure this is how I made it through it. So yeah.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm having a graphical issue with the build of GZDoom distributed in the Lovely Doom pack from earlier in the thread. Semi-transparent textures, like railings and grates, turn black and opaque when shooting near or through them. I don't know enough about GZDoom to know how to fix this, but I do know that I never had this issue when using GZDoom builds downloaded from the GZDoom site. Anyone have any insight?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I find it questionable that Hellbound is constantly bemoaned for being a slog. Yet Scythe's levels are exactly the same (if not worse) and it's still consistently recommended.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Brovstin posted:

I find it questionable that Hellbound is constantly bemoaned for being a slog. Yet Scythe's levels are exactly the same (if not worse) and it's still consistently recommended.

Scythe's levels take like five minutes to finish, Hellbound's take like an hour and a half. There's really no comparison.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm having a graphical issue with the build of GZDoom distributed in the Lovely Doom pack from earlier in the thread. Semi-transparent textures, like railings and grates, turn black and opaque when shooting near or through them. I don't know enough about GZDoom to know how to fix this, but I do know that I never had this issue when using GZDoom builds downloaded from the GZDoom site. Anyone have any insight?

Could it be this? It might be fixed in dev builds now.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Brovstin posted:

The last few levels of Scythe could be called exactly the same, but I can see why an entire WAD like those could be considered tiring for many.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Brovstin posted:

I've been thinking about this for five minutes straight and I can't see any similarity between the two.
The two are completely different in design philosophy, level style, and actual play. Hellbound is about large moody semi-realistic levels, Scythe is about short abstract maps to blaze through quickly.

I'll admit I'm the biggest Scythe/Scythe 2 fanboy, but it seems like only the very very final levels of Scythe/Scythe 2 could be remotely compared, and even then only in the "thousands of enemies" aspect.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 28, 2014

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Fair enough.

"I didn't find Scythe and Scythe 2 very enjoyable and it confuses me that people recommend them." was mainly what I was trying to say.

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 28, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone recommend some good episode-length map sets for Duke3D that use either the original gameplay or DukePlus? Bonus points if they have novel architectural themes. No new monsters, weapons, etc. please!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Not really an episode, but a series of really great maps by Pascal Rouaud: http://www.duke4.net/download.php?view.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
The Roch series is pretty okay, but one of them uses an absolutely loving ridiculous puzzle that is required for moving forward in the level. You have to flip a switch that's behind a door that you can't close that is blocking access from all but the most precise angle in order to get a blue key to spawn. It was so obtuse that I eventually gave up and aborted the mission (I was playing in War of Attrition) and continued to do so every time I hit it in subsequent playthroughs until I forced myself to try and beat it, spending nearly an hour total playtime.