Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact she not only survived but actually forgave us for her brother getting aced.

And dammit, I was thinking as I rewatched the video that those were higanbana. Good catch on that one, Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

And now we're getting to the major body parts, soon we'll get our other arm and leg.

Hyakki already got his other leg, that's how he got the dash.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm really digging how they upgrade your weapons as you get your body parts back. Can't wait to see what happens to the machine gun and if it almost becomes useful.

Also, I have to say, the narrator to this game reminds me of the narrator for Illbleed, both in voice and cheesiness.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

Hyakki already got his other leg, that's how he got the dash.

Oh right, I forgot we got that for killing Yudai is chapter one. Whoops :downs:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think we might actually need a full recap of what he's gotten back at this point.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Derek Barona posted:

I think we might actually need a full recap of what he's gotten back at this point.

In order from Fiendly's Encylopedia posts:

• Vocal cords
  • Left Eye
  • Œsophagus
  • Left leg
  • Hippocampal Synapse (Brain part)
  • Blood Platelets
  • Trapezius Muscles
  • Spine
  • Manipura Chakra (Solar Plexus Chakra)
  • Cerebellum
  • Ears
  • Stomach
  • Small Intestines
  • Nocioception (Sense of Pain)
  • Adrenal glands
  • Lymph Nodes
  • Pancreas
  • Heart
  • Muladhara Chakra (Dong Butthole Chakra)
  • Thyroid Gland
  • Rib Cage
  • Cerbral Neocortex (Main body of brain)
  • Abdominal Muscles
  • Left Arm
  • Nose
  • Lateral Muscles (main back and side)
  • Large Intestines
  • Bone Marrow
  • Pelvis Bone
  • Pectoralis Muscles
  • Right Eye
  • Ajna Chakra (Spiritual Monobrow/Third Eye Chakra)
  • Right Leg
  • Liver
  • Vissudha Chakra (Throat Chakra)
Short version; three limbs, full facial features (though a tongue isn't listed), all the major muscle groups, most of the major internal organs and digestive tract (the most obvious one missing seems to be lungs), and four of seven chakra (assuming they're going with the traditional seven).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Jeez still no breathing for Hyakki.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

He can breathe, silly! He's just got a mouse playing the mini-bagpipes in his chest instead of lungs. It's all perfectly sensible when you stop and think about it!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Out of twelve remaining parts, the only things I can think of that he's still missing that would show up would be lungs, his skull, maybe his tongue just because it hasn't come up yet but everything else has, the other three chakra, his other arm, and maybe other parts of his brain?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Teeth? Diaphragm?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My god... his hair!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
HIs gallbladder?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Out of twelve remaining parts, the only things I can think of that he's still missing that would show up would be lungs, his skull, maybe his tongue just because it hasn't come up yet but everything else has, the other three chakra, his other arm, and maybe other parts of his brain?

Wait i thought Hyakki already had his tongue? Or has he been speaking telepathically the entire time?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Smornstein posted:

Wait i thought Hyakki already had his tongue? Or has he been speaking telepathically the entire time?

Vocal chords, but while both are required for speech, they could be going for a "five senses" thing and he's been missing his tongue/sense of taste this whole time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You didn't mention that Hyakki now has three 1-up slots since picking up the new, overpowered sword.

Also, I didn't say anything before, but I like the detail that the lost woods is full of those glowing ghost-fireballs associated with yokai. A quick look at wikipedia suggests that these are Onibi, more specifically, the Inka variety.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks Pesky Splinter, it's hard to remember what we got since most of them don't alter game-play much apart from the limbs which change how you do certain attacks and fighting styles.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
So if you level up the sword that gets stronger by killing things does it eventually reach that kind of power as well?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Guts inventory.

Thanks! Now I don't have to do that. And since there's interest in guessing what's left, I'll give our completion stats per category as a hint:

Digestive System: 5/6
Muscular System: 4/4
Skeletal System: 3/4
Immune System: 3/4
Respiratory System: 0/2
Circulatory System: 3/3
Oral Cavity: 1/2
Appendages: 3/4
Sensory Systems: 4/5
Nervous System: 4/4
Endocrine System: 2/3
Spiritual: 4/7

Choco1980 posted:

You didn't mention that Hyakki now has three 1-up slots since picking up the new, overpowered sword.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me! Although in the tradition of this game confusing the poo poo out of me, the slot for the third 1-up doesn't appear until after Maimai'Onba's intro, even though nothing changes between the start and end of that cutscene. My best guess is, recovering the liver raised Hyakki's Regeneration high enough to hold a third 1-up, but Dragon Kin was lowering it back down below that point, so switching swords removed that penalty, but the new slot isn't programmed to appear during gameplay so it didn't show up until after the loading screen. Ridiculous.

cokerpilot posted:

So if you level up the sword that gets stronger by killing things does it eventually reach that kind of power as well?

The Genbu only gains additional Attack Power as it levels up, and I think there's diminishing returns after a certain point. It would eventually be able to deal much more damage than any of the swords we currently have, but it would never gain abilities like maxing out the health bar like Great Lotus does or a number of other sword attributes we'll be seeing soon. I'm told the Fool's Blade, which can also gain levels, has a Flashing Blade (random instant kills) ability if you get it to a high enough level, but there's no way I'm gonna do all the grinding and testing I'd have to do to confirm that.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Holy crap, i must have finished this game 4 or 5 times and i never found that secret area in chapter one. :aaaaa:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 7: Tragedy (Part 1)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siren was a badly designed game: Let's Play Blood Will Tell

Can this LP can go more than 2-3 episodes without someone mentioning Siren? Recent studies suggest no, no we can't.

Incidentally, the Shibito fortress that was mentioned reminded me of a very similar thing in the Junji Ito series Uzumaki. If you haven't read it, do so immediately, it's fantastic stuff.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think it's a sign that Siren left a very real impression on us all.

That it was a horrible mess of a game, but dammit the Shibito Fortress was my favorite part of the whole slog so I'm gonna mention it if I think about it!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha, that non-lethal warfare segment. "I cannot take a life, but don't worry, I'll hit them with the back side of my sword." And Hyakki whips out a double-edged sword.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Definitely seeing the parallel between Uzumaki and the final town/fortress/whatever design.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
A video with no Fiends at all? Lame. C'mon, Fiends, step it up

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Luck blade may actually be modeled after a sword used in Japan before they came up with the Katana.
Or Kusanagi, which is a sword and part of the Japanese Imperial Regalia.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
"Hyaki, they are humans! Don't kill them!"

"Don't worry, I'll use the blunt part of my sword"

*collapses tower with dudes in it.*

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fat Samurai posted:

"Hyaki, they are humans! Don't kill them!"

"Don't worry, I'll use the blunt part of my sword"

*collapses tower with dudes in it.*

Don't worry, they were only hit with the blunt parts of the collasping tower. :downs:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

alcharagia posted:

A video with no Fiends at all? Lame. C'mon, Fiends, step it up

Something tells me that we're going to get Fiends up the wazoo come next video.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Chimera-gui posted:

Something tells me that we're going to get Fiends up the wazoo come next video.

Fiends Up the Wazoo is the name of my Uritsukidoji-themed Gwar cover band.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just the wazoo? That's pretty tame for either source.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
We try to keep it PG for the birthdays and bar mitzvahs.

So hey, how about the LP? Pretty sweet, huh? Really, I don't think I'd have had the patience for this game. I would have spent six hours grinding up the sword arms in the first two chapters, then gotten bored and moved on to something else.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Siren was a badly designed game: Let's Play Blood Will Tell

Can this LP can go more than 2-3 episodes without someone mentioning Siren? Recent studies suggest no, no we can't.

Incidentally, the Shibito fortress that was mentioned reminded me of a very similar thing in the Junji Ito series Uzumaki. If you haven't read it, do so immediately, it's fantastic stuff.

I never once mentioned Siren during my run. Never even heard of the game nor played it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It's a really cool and atmospheric Lovecraftian tale told in a weird, fragmented fashion from the perspective of multiple characters. The sequel's good too.

Shame about the game it's attached to, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, Siren has some of the best writing of any horror game I've ever seen, but simultaneously has some of the most frustrating game mechanics as well. It's a shame Egomaniac had to stop his LP of the HD remaster of the game for whatever personal reasons, as it was the only LP that's ever left me scared to watch. And I'm a horror junkie that doesn't normally scare. He also did LPs of the three original versions of the games, but I kinda want to hold off on watching them for spoiler's sake in case he ever resumes things.:f5:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, Siren has some of the best writing of any horror game I've ever seen, but simultaneously has some of the most frustrating game mechanics as well. It's a shame Egomaniac had to stop his LP of the HD remaster of the game for whatever personal reasons, as it was the only LP that's ever left me scared to watch. And I'm a horror junkie that doesn't normally scare. He also did LPs of the three original versions of the games, but I kinda want to hold off on watching them for spoiler's sake in case he ever resumes things.:f5:

His LP of the first one was the one I mentioned in the video. I had picked up a copy (Unopened, no less) from my job at GameCrazy around the time they went under and thought "Oh hey, I hate myself right now, let's play a horror game." because I'm not good with horror games at all but occasionally feel the urge to play one so I can refresh my sense of self-loathing. Similar games in this list include a few Silent Hills, Fatal Frame 2, and Kuon.

Anyway, about a day later I was desperately searching the Archive to try and find an LP to see if SOMEONE had made heads or tails of some of the crap in that game. I basically had to watch each stage concurrently with my own playthrough in order to see how to do it. It was honestly kind of frustrating at times.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 30, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Unfortunately, most of Egomaniac's uploads related to the Siren LPs are now dead.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Actually, you can watch it on his Youtube account, same with his Kenzan LP: http://www.youtube.com/user/egomaniacSALP

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone know how best to contact the LP archive, then? A lot of their linked files are down (and I'm not sure the youtube account has the audio files and other extras, either). The youtube account also doesn't seem to have the Siren 2 videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's a link on the front page of the archives for contact info. Baldurk runs the whole thing single-handedly as far as I can tell, but he usually tries to make time for everything that needs to.

• Locked thread