Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

The build up to the finale was insane, and people's reactions immediately post-finale into trying to re-examine the season/episode/series and suddenly claim they discovered something deeper was hilarious. The writers wrote themselves into a corner and just ended it. That wasn't even the first time they wrote themselves into a corner, that's why things kept getting crazier and crazier.

Basically this http://youtube.com/watch?v=MhGNvzWIxgM .

Has the woman beater done anything of note since Lost or is he still unemployed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution. A stick for lazy people to beat the programme with. A stick being held by the lovely end.

He's answering the question in the context of I've already seen the show and what he wrote is enough to remind me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

A place outside of time that people use to resolve their issues from life until they're ready to move on to afterlife/heaven.

Nope not purgatory at all.

Yeah, pretty much all it was missing was branding from any one religious organization.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Airplane Repo is the fakest fake to ever fake a fake.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Have any repo shows involved a redneck taking shots at them because that has to happen more than once a repo man's life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Have any repo shows involved a redneck taking shots at them because that has to happen more than once a repo man's life.

I saw a fist fight on Airplane Repo, but it looked fake as poo poo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

It's from "South Beach Tow," and it's not guns, but it is ridiculous

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, "World's Dumbest ..." on TruTV is the loving worst show on television.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Kaizoku posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

It's from "South Beach Tow," and it's not guns, but it is ridiculous

I enjoy watching her lose 50 pounds while being hit by the car only to regain them after she lands on the ground.

And that a camera happened to be at ground level like 50 yards away from the outside of a parking garage, where you would have less than zero reason to actually be if this was an actual real show.

It amazes me how some of these shows just aren't even pretending.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 28, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
We need a reality show version of Bar Rescue, where someone goes to revitalize a lovely reality show that's been languishing on the air for a season or two. I think we've reached that point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

We need a reality show version of Bar Rescue, where someone goes to revitalize a lovely reality show that's been languishing on the air for a season or two. I think we've reached that point.

They called it Up All Night.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

PostNouveau posted:

Airplane Repo is the fakest fake to ever fake a fake.

Faker than this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1bc4kNLHI

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Manos del Sino posted:

That's the one quote I took away from the show after these years, aside from "Waaaaalt!"

We have to go back.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The one I saw, a farmer chased them in a combine as they towed his crop duster to an airstrip. Then he parked the combine at the end of the runway to block it, so the pilot had to take off juuuuust over it. It's faker than Amish Mafia.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

But it says truTV right there in the corner, it must be tru.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PostNouveau posted:

The one I saw, a farmer chased them in a combine as they towed his crop duster to an airstrip. Then he parked the combine at the end of the runway to block it, so the pilot had to take off juuuuust over it. It's faker than Amish Mafia.

I dunno, this scene/episode where the repo guy gets his rear end kicked by a manicurist who knows capoeira (who is inexplicably mic'ed up) shortly before he roundhouse kicks a random dude who comes to tell him to chill out (who is also inexplicably mic'ed up) in the head before getting knocked out with a metal wrench by the other repo lady before they both speed away seems pretty legit to me.

If only those dudes could've gotten a couple of Hot Cops to run into the scene like in this other clip from a different (or same? who the hell knows) repo show on TruTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWb3Uc2cUI

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 28, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

They should make Nathan For You this. Just double down on the ambiguous fakeness.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rutger Hauer Joins ABC Fairytale Comedy ‘Galavant’

quote:

Hauer joins a formidable list of Galavant guest stars that includes John Stamos as a goateed knight, Hugh Bonneville as landlocked pirate Peter the Pillager, Ricky Gervais as a medieval magician named Xanax, and Weird Al Yankovic as a singing monk.

I have to say, even if this show fails, at least it'll be a interesting failure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Galavant will be something. That post made me rewatch the trailer and goddamn it seemed even weirder this time.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

I have to say, even if this show fails, at least it'll be a interesting failure.

God this show was loving made for me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Galavant is super not for me, but I'll give them credit. They seem to be really going for it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alright, which one of you tinkers wrote this?

quote:

True Detective was a fantastic show. The only thing that made it less enjoyable than it deserved to be was us.

I blame Lost. You remember that show, right?

It's the reason we, as a society, are completely and totally unable to watch any show that holds even a scant amount of mystery without assuming there's some bigger meaning at hand. Every episode of Lost was just another step closer to us still not knowing what the gently caress was going on. We sure as hell tried to figure it out, though, well before the series was even close to ending. There were entire websites dedicated to trying to make sense of it all. Unraveling the mysteries of Lost, at some point, became way more enjoyable than the show itself.

That's what we wanted True Detective to be, but I'm not really sure why. The name of the show is True Detective. What about that implies some kind of hidden twist or meaning? It was a buddy cop show, for all intents and purposes, and it was a drat fine one. That's especially true if you go back and watch it again without expecting to uncover the entire meaning of life every time you see the color yellow in the background

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Looks to me like a decent enough article that puts forth the good (if obvious) idea that sometimes over-analysis can lead to complaining and how that can be annoying as balls sometimes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cactus posted:

Alright, which one of you tinkers wrote this?
Well considering the crux of the argument seems to involve common sense and sanity, I would say not a single one of us at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't read the whole article but the quote you posted sounds like something I probably would have posted in this thread if I had ever watched True Detective. I've already posted as much about Lost before.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Punch Card posted:

Looks to me like a decent enough article that puts forth the good (if obvious) idea that sometimes over-analysis can lead to complaining and how that can be annoying as balls sometimes.

I think he's referring more to the narcissistic belief that people only started over-analyzing popular media after Lost premiered. The truth of the matter is that people have been sperging out about poo poo since antiquity, making the assertion that a ten year old television show changed how human beings viewed media patently absurd.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To say that people were never over-analyzing shows before Lost is definitely absurd. But to say that Lost didn't have a huge effect on how people viewed any kind of show with even the slightest mystery in it is also absurd.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I think he's referring more to the narcissistic belief that people only started over-analyzing popular media after Lost premiered. The truth of the matter is that people have been sperging out about poo poo since antiquity, making the assertion that a ten year old television show changed how human beings viewed media patently absurd.

That wasn't specifically what I was thinking (though I do agree with what you're saying) it was just that it read exactly like this thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

To say that people were never over-analyzing shows before Lost is definitely absurd. But to say that Lost didn't have a huge effect on how people viewed any kind of show with even the slightest mystery in it is also absurd.

Granted. That said, I've never seen True Dick, but I thought there were both mystery and supernatural elements to the show, justifying that kind of speculation.

edit: people who've never seen true dick discussing true dick, itt

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 28, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think it isn't so much the show Lost that caused it, but that it existed in conjunction with a relatively young (in human history terms) internet. Had the internet been around at the time, say, Twin Peaks was airing, that probably would have got the "really hosed people up" meme instead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Any Aussies here seen 'The Code'?

I have a friend who swears it's fantastic and considering his track record I want a second opinion.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cactus posted:

I think it isn't so much the show Lost that caused it, but that it existed in conjunction with a relatively young (in human history terms) internet. Had the internet been around at the time, say, Twin Peaks was airing, that probably would have got the "really hosed people up" meme instead.
Before the internet, it was probably just academics. Then with the Lost era it just got exponentially worse because anyone could offer up their insane batshit theories on stuff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

Before the internet, it was probably just academics. Then with the Lost era it just got exponentially worse because anyone could offer up their insane batshit theories on stuff.

The thing is that the thoughts everyone posted when the show first aired turned out to be true (it was purgatory). And usenet existed for a ton of years before LOST came out for weirdo internet opinions to be posted on anyway. LOST just had a lovely ending is all.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cactus posted:

Alt.tv.twin-peaks was one place, then the fanzine "wrapped in plastic" didn't stop publishing until 2005, producing 75 issues that my uncle probably still has stashed in his basement. There have always been obsessive fans of weird TV, but it's never been so cheap or accessible.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah but that was all tucked away out of sight, you had to go looking for it or be "technical" at that time to even know what IRC was. Now any kid with a phone can participate. I often think (with the exception of places like Free Republic) that a high amount of the perceived craziness there is out there on the internet comes from the fact that a lot of the time I'm reading the writings of literal children, and it just hasn't occurred to me because I'm reading it in my adult inner voice.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Any Aussies here seen 'The Code'?

I have a friend who swears it's fantastic and considering his track record I want a second opinion.

I liked the first episode. Kinda decent drama conspiracy thing. But that may change when I keep watching. If you try it let us know what you think.

I don't usually bother with our home made shows but Rake really impressed me but I do want us to have more than one proper good show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cactus posted:

a high amount of the perceived craziness there is out there on the internet comes from the fact that a lot of the time I'm reading the writings of literal children, and it just hasn't occurred to me because I'm reading it in my adult inner voice.

Definitely. I can't tell you the number of times I thought people on this very forum were either insane or stupid until I saw their pictures and was like "oooooohhhhhhh, now it makes sense." Maybe I'm getting old, but it seems like this generation lacks creativity and mental flexibility. They view everything very starkly, and get upset whenever you present an alternate viewpoint. Kids of my generation were free thinkers. We used to the internet to express ourselves and test the boundaries of human thought. This generation just reposts the same cat pictures, anime gifs, and memes as everybody else, desperately hoping to be accepted by the internet hivemind. Its sad. It really is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When the final episode of The Prisoner aired, the network switchboards were jammed. People were furious that the final episode was a parable about conformity and not a literal explanation of what the Village was. It is one of the greatest hours of TV ever.

Screw literal answers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DaveWoo posted:

I forgot this show even existed. Weren't there trailers for it like a year or more ago?

Cactus posted:

Yeah but that was all tucked away out of sight, you had to go looking for it or be "technical" at that time to even know what IRC was. Now any kid with a phone can participate. I often think (with the exception of places like Free Republic) that a high amount of the perceived craziness there is out there on the internet comes from the fact that a lot of the time I'm reading the writings of literal children, and it just hasn't occurred to me because I'm reading it in my adult inner voice.

Unfortunately this idea is disproven by the fact that you can see the pictures of whoever's posting in any given Facebook comment thread.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched any of the new fall premieres, can someone trustworthy (ie anyone who liked Rectify, for example) tell me which ones to make a priority? Obviously Sleepy Hollow, but what about new shows?

• Locked thread