Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

timp posted:

Who the gently caress is seanbaby

He had an article in EGM years ago listing the worst games of all time and has been trying to remain relevant ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

codenameFANGIO posted:

:stare: Well now I feel old.

Suspicious Cook posted:

He had an article in EGM years ago listing the worst games of all time and has been trying to remain relevant ever since.

Nah FANGIO, looks like you're just a nerd. Maybe an old nerd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

goons punching way above their weight class

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alouicious posted:

goons punching way above their weight class

There's a weight class above morbidly obese?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

timp posted:

Who the gently caress is seanbaby

Honestly, one of the funniest writers ever, and the only reason to go to Cracked anymore.

codenameFANGIO posted:

:stare: Well now I feel old.

Rejoice, I am youthful and know of them, so it might not be a young person thing. (You still may be super old though)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Seanbaby used to be great. He's hit and miss nowadays. Those tweets were pretty much all misses.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Seanbaby is basically Maddox if Maddox was actually funny, a martial artist, and didn't look like a cancer patient.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seanbaby is basically Maddox if Maddox was actually funny, a martial artist, and didn't look like a cancer patient.

Until you said this, I had completely forgotten these were two different people.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maddox was my first thing I read in "blog" format besides maybe Acts of Gord. I'll always have fond memories Maddox...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Maddox was my first thing I read in "blog" format besides maybe Acts of Gord. I'll always have fond memories Maddox...

Oh man, Gord was great. What's that guy doing these days?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

umalt posted:

Oh man, Gord was great. What's that guy doing these days?

It's really better for you if you don't find out.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Probably the same thing he was doing a decade ago: making up stories on the internet.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Playing my first Pikmin game (3) and there is something really satisfying about having these little guys carrying a big rear end boss monster we just killed back to base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

Playing my first Pikmin game (3) and there is something really satisfying about having these little guys carrying a big rear end boss monster we just killed back to base.

I will never get tired of their cheerful little "hup-to, hup-to, hup-to" marching chant as they lug their victims food back to base :allears:.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
amazingly funny game tweets ITT

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scarycave posted:

Pikmin gives you such nice feelings of achievement. Don't make the beginner mistake I made though, just because your character can go through water doesn't mean all Pikmin can. I accidentally committed a genocide of 70 reds and there was nothing I could do as they screamed and drown watching their betrayed ghosts float away. Probably the most haunting moment of any game ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Destiny, your character is accompanied by a ghost, a small flying robot that seemingly lives in your pocket and flies out to perform various tasks. When you open the menu your character takes out the ghost and holds it in front of him- but he doesn't if you open the menu while the ghost is elsewhere in the middle of doing something. The ghost's voice also changes when it's on duty; when it's in your pocket you hear his voice directly out of the speakers as though he's right where you are, but if he's out in the world his voice is directional and if you walk too far away it switches to radio. The ghost also produces your flashlight by hovering over your shoulder and shining a beam of light, but again, while he's away he can't do this and you temporarily don't have a flashlight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

haveblue posted:

In Destiny, your character is accompanied by a ghost, a small flying robot that seemingly lives in your pocket and flies out to perform various tasks. When you open the menu your character takes out the ghost and holds it in front of him- but he doesn't if you open the menu while the ghost is elsewhere in the middle of doing something. The ghost's voice also changes when it's on duty; when it's in your pocket you hear his voice directly out of the speakers as though he's right where you are, but if he's out in the world his voice is directional and if you walk too far away it switches to radio. The ghost also produces your flashlight by hovering over your shoulder and shining a beam of light, but again, while he's away he can't do this and you temporarily don't have a flashlight.

I'll never understand why future-tech games don't have flashlights. In Halo 2, they made the super-advanced alien Arbiter guy not have a flashlight for some reason. Like, at what point did illumination not become a priority for arms manufacturers?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

haveblue posted:

If you play on PS4 your controller lights up accordingly. I'm pretty sure every post I've made in this thread is about PS4 games and how the interact with your controller.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If you play on PS4 your controller lights up accordingly. I'm pretty sure every post I've made in this thread is about PS4 games and how the interact with your controller.

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxiously bright when it does that. Just like a good flashlight I guess! :haw:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I'll never understand why future-tech games don't have flashlights. In Halo 2, they made the super-advanced alien Arbiter guy not have a flashlight for some reason. Like, at what point did illumination not become a priority for arms manufacturers?

I think that was more due to running out of controller buttons. I also liked the cloaking device better anyway- the game almost never puts you anywhere so dark that the flashlight helps, and the cloak changes up how he plays.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
In the licensed FRIENDS FMV game there was a reference to Matthew Perry's drug abuse :suspense: I know it's old but I'm going to spoiler it because it was a great moment When you escape from the blizzard and enter Central Perk (the coffee shop hangout), Chandler has snow stuck in his fake moustache (an inventory item from earlier, don't ask) and instead of wiping it away he snorts it in

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This is probably also one of the reasons the PS4's controller has like a 3 hour charge.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

This always annoyed me in Star Trek. Why are you seArching the abandoned space ship with tiny flashlights? Don't we have portable floodlights or something like that in the future?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Judge Tesla posted:

This is probably also one of the reasons the PS4's controller has like a 3 hour charge.

But it's so IMMERSIVE.

Sometimes the controller thing is used in a cool way, but I don't really understand the need for your controller to become a spotlight everytime you flick on your flashlight in-game.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have to say, looking down at the light shining on my fingers is an interesting way of seeing how much health I have in Killzone Shadow Fall.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

In the licensed FRIENDS FMV game there was a reference to Matthew Perry's drug abuse :suspense: I know it's old but I'm going to spoiler it because it was a great moment When you escape from the blizzard and enter Central Perk (the coffee shop hangout), Chandler has snow stuck in his fake moustache (an inventory item from earlier, don't ask) and instead of wiping it away he snorts it in

I hate that you're messing with me, as much as I want such a game to exist as an embodiment of bad late-90s ideas.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 HD last night and noticed something new - while in the torture scene you can see the Sorrow holding up a note to dial a certain frequency - you use it to escape from your cell afterwards.

Prior to the torture scene, though, you're talking to Sokolov and there's some blueprints/schematics in the background. Something I've only noticed in the HD version? That same frequency is clear as day on the blueprints. I wonder if it was always there and only updating the textures made it legible?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a cool roguelike where every turn happens on the beat of the music so the game is very heavily rhythm oriented. One of the bosses is an entire chessboard with all the pieces being enemies that move like they should to a blues tune. The name of the boss? Deep blues. Also another boss has a huge conga line of zombies to conga music, it's great.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

SWAT 4 had a pretty great atmosphere to it. Most missions weren't the standard "Terrorists have taken over the generic industrial plant". In one early one you're pulling an arrest warrant on a serial killer suspect where the only person in the house is him and his crazy mother, but (at least the first time),but you have no idea where so you have to slowly clear room by room.

Then you get to the basement where you start to find creepy trophies of his kills like masks of his victims and newspaper clippings and stuff, with it getting weirder and weirder the closer you get to him.

You have to follow some semblance of police procedure. You lose points for shooting even armed suspects without first shouting a warning to try and get them to drop their weapons, and you get the best score by arresting as many as possible (the game had a pretty wide range of non-lethal weapons to help with this) and collecting evidence/reporting all suspects and hostages.

Some missions really tried to push you to just shoot the bastards though, especially one mission later where you're busting a cult for bomb making and you find a whole bunch of dead kids in the basement. The cult members killed all their children in preparation for their "apocalypse"

Less known fact is this was made by Irrational Games of Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite fame. Starts to make sense. Loved the SWAT games.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 HD last night and noticed something new - while in the torture scene you can see the Sorrow holding up a note to dial a certain frequency - you use it to escape from your cell afterwards.

Prior to the torture scene, though, you're talking to Sokolov and there's some blueprints/schematics in the background. Something I've only noticed in the HD version? That same frequency is clear as day on the blueprints. I wonder if it was always there and only updating the textures made it legible?

When you're in jail, if you throw the food the guard gives you back out of the cell he'll eat it. If you do it three times, he'll strike up a conversation with you and the frequency is on the back of a photograph he pulls out during the cutscene.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

SWAT 4 had a pretty great atmosphere to it. Most missions weren't the standard "Terrorists have taken over the generic industrial plant". In one early one you're pulling an arrest warrant on a serial killer suspect where the only person in the house is him and his crazy mother, but (at least the first time),but you have no idea where so you have to slowly clear room by room.

Then you get to the basement where you start to find creepy trophies of his kills like masks of his victims and newspaper clippings and stuff, with it getting weirder and weirder the closer you get to him.

You have to follow some semblance of police procedure. You lose points for shooting even armed suspects without first shouting a warning to try and get them to drop their weapons, and you get the best score by arresting as many as possible (the game had a pretty wide range of non-lethal weapons to help with this) and collecting evidence/reporting all suspects and hostages.

Some missions really tried to push you to just shoot the bastards though, especially one mission later where you're busting a cult for bomb making and you find a whole bunch of dead kids in the basement. The cult members killed all their children in preparation for their "apocalypse"

Man I remember playing SWAT 4 ages ago -- I wonder if it's on Steam, I'd probably suck less at it now that I'm an adult.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For whatever sad reason the only digital distributor that had SWAT 4 was Direct2Drive, and when they got sold to Gamefly it went bye bye. :(

Edit: The next closest thing is SWAT 3 on Gog.com.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Sep 30, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cobalt impurity posted:

When you're in jail, if you throw the food the guard gives you back out of the cell he'll eat it. If you do it three times, he'll strike up a conversation with you and the frequency is on the back of a photograph he pulls out during the cutscene.

Holy crap, I've got to try this.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

Yeah, there's like 7 different ways to find the frequency, as I recall

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

cobalt impurity posted:

He also gives you back your cigarettes which are really loaded with anesthetic gas so you can knock him out and escape without risking an alert.

My favourite way of escaping the cell was going into the survival viewer, spinning Snake round with the analogue stick 5 or 6 times. When you resume the game he'll :barf: and the guard will come in to make sure you're OK. At which point you can stab him in the neck with your fork.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

The best thing about this game is that is was the first game that DMC Design (the company that went on to become Rockstar) ever published. The bonus scene with the raptors brutally destroying Ross with bazookas and machine guns was probably the high point of video game design.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Spalec posted:

He also gives you back your cigarettes which are really loaded with anesthetic gas so you can knock him out and escape without risking an alert.

My favourite way of escaping the cell was going into the survival viewer, spinning Snake round with the analogue stick 5 or 6 times. When you resume the game he'll :barf: and the guard will come in to make sure you're OK. At which point you can stab him in the neck with your fork.

Metal Gear Solid 3, and for that matter all of the MGS games, are full of little things. We could probably fill at least a few more pages of the thread with nothing but them :) Another exapmle: if you ate rotten food and got food poisoning, if you spin Snake around and make him vomit, it goes away.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In MGS4 you can have the same thing happen if you roll around in the barrel disguise too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Some more MGS3 off the top of my head:

Saving in the prison cell, then restarting your game causes Snake to have a nightmare, which is actually a playable demo for an action game that never got finished called Guy Savage. Sadly, it's gone in the HD collection.

While fighting The End, if you set your clock ahead several days he'll die of old age. You can also snipe him right after he's introduced much earlier in the game and kill him then.

When you're replaying the game and have the Single-Action Army, you can use the right stick in first person mode to do tricks. If you do this while dueling Ocelot, he'll say how impressed he is and do his own tricks along with you.

One that a lot of people know, but is so stupidly specific that it bears repeating: If you kill a soldier in a mountain area, and a vulture starts eating him, and then you kill that vulture, and then eat it, later on when you're fighting The Sorrow, that soldier will yell out "YOU ATE ME!"