Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

If it took you "until I got cruise control" YOU were one of those people.

Nope, I had no problem maintaining a set speed without CC (especially with the handy exhaust-leak tachometer), it just becomes more noticeable when instead of lifting my foot without thinking I'm hitting an actual button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I can't wait until adaptive cruise control is standard equipment. I'm only going to (be able to) buy used for many many years, so it will be a while for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you're using adaptive cruise control and decide that instead of following somebody as they slow down you want to pass them, how does it react? Does it slow down before you hit the gas to pass, then resume the set speed when you let off or does it go back to the speed of the guy you were following?

It seems like a nice feature but I'm curious how much of a pain it might be.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's the Porsche system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKr5Jg5_Jk I think most of them work about the same.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I wonder if they show up at dealerships complaining about brake wear and lovely fuel economy.

Yes they do. A couple years ago there was a story in the news about some dumb woman in California who sued Honda because her precious little car wasn't getting the mileage from the window sticker.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's also an automatic transmission thing, I find it's much harder to maintain a single speed with an auto since the line between accelerating and doing nothing is so narrow. In a manual it's really easy to find the point in pedal travel where you are maintaining speed since when you let off you immediately start engine braking.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not sure what you're on about there - never had any such issues with any of my auto cars.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Locator posted:

Yes they do. A couple years ago there was a story in the news about some dumb woman in California who sued Honda because her precious little car wasn't getting the mileage from the window sticker.

There was more to that story - it was a Civic Hybrid - which Honda applied software updates to abate numerous Hybrid battery failures. The software updates significantly reduced the benefit of the system.

The part of her lawsuit that was questionable and unreasonable in my opinion was that she bought the car *used*.

Full disclosure - I owned a Civic Hybrid and experienced the issue described. Gas mileage dropped from mid-50s on the highway to upper-40s, city dropped from mid-40s to upper-30s. My battery pack was replaced under warranty at 18k miles.

Civic Hybrid was second least reliable car I've owned.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Michael Scott posted:

I can't wait until adaptive cruise control is standard equipment. I'm only going to (be able to) buy used for many many years, so it will be a while for me.

I saw an accident yesterday that made me laugh. I stuck around to give a statement because it was so good.

Woman in a new Infiniti rear-ended a newish Mazda that had slowed down on traffic. Infiniti woman was insistent that the accident was a defect in her car because she had it set to stop automatically.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Woman in a new Infiniti rear-ended a newish Mazda that had slowed down on traffic. Infiniti woman was insistent that the accident was a defect in her car because she had it set to stop automatically.

Wow, a real life strawmanwoman. You should have taken a picture as proof they exist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Once adaptive cruise control is standard, what happens when the person at the head of the line decides to slow down randomly? I imagine lots of trolling causing rolling road blocks by people dicking with everybody else's speed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Goober Peas posted:

I saw an accident yesterday that made me laugh. I stuck around to give a statement because it was so good.

See, everyone says I'm paranoid when I say that these new pieces of technology will make people into shittier, more dangerous drivers, but no one believes me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

There was more to that story - it was a Civic Hybrid ...

Thanks for the info. Media is pretty terrible at following up on stories, so you never do get to hear beyond the initial sound bite.

At the time I just figured she drove it like all the hybrid's around here get driven, as if they are in a race, and her mileage was suffering because of her right foot weight issue. Even if I was wrong, that sticker on the window does say 'estimate' not guarantee, and suing over your car not hitting those numbers just seemed frivolous to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Where do you live that Hybrids (especially goddamn Priuses) are driven in anything less than the most annoying hypermiling fashion, and can I come visit this wonderland?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Any city. Priuses are driven with feathers and eggshells, but people still beat the piss out of any other $MODEL Hybrid variant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I beat the piss out of my Prius and it still stays around 53 mpg. If I baby it I can squeak out maybe 57.. I see no reason to make mine or anyone else's life on the road miserable over ~8% difference.

But even with that mind I regularly see folks making me look slow, flinging their smugmobile through traffic like it's track day at the Nurburgring. That's just Illinois drivers being Illinois drivers though.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

See, everyone says I'm paranoid when I say that these new pieces of technology will make people into shittier, more dangerous drivers, but no one believes me.

The Peltzman effect is not exactly a new theory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

Where do you live that Hybrids (especially goddamn Priuses) are driven in anything less than the most annoying hypermiling fashion, and can I come visit this wonderland?

It's about half and half here in Phoenix. You get some people who clog the HOV lane at five under (when traffic next to them is doing 10 over) to get the high score on their mileage game, and you get some people who figure 40+ is "good enough" and just stand on it like every other rear end in a top hat in this state.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I only ever see Priuses screaming along at 80mph+ weaving in-and-out of traffic like the person driving them is on PCP.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Uthor posted:

Once adaptive cruise control is standard, what happens when the person at the head of the line decides to slow down randomly? I imagine lots of trolling causing rolling road blocks by people dicking with everybody else's speed.

Same thing that happens now? You still gotta brake if someone's being a dick in front of you, regardless of who's in control. Actually, I would think it would be better with the cruise control, since the car would respond faster and more accurately than you could, preventing the traffic wave that happens when people brake more and more down the line.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Uthor posted:

Is there any part of I-80 that doesn't blow? I've driven from Chicago all the way through Illinois and Iowa up to Omaha. The only part that isn't horrible is when you get to make a pit stop at Iowa 80.
West of Cheyenne it gets pretty in a 'beautiful desolation' kind of way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PT6A posted:

Somewhere, a lawyer is trying to figure out how to start a class action lawsuit for people that got in a wreck.. because their car couldn't stop itself.

All the commercials about cars that can apply the brakes on their own really aren't helping.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PT6A posted:

Let me tell you about the Bendix Wingman DELUXE system on my big truck.... Applies 75% of service brake and 100% of the engine brake if it detects a crash, car cutting you off, large amounts of dust in the air, K-rail, space aliens above the interstate, or ghosts. I no longer use cruise control after it engaged the engine brake with nobody around while keeping the engine going.

I'm getting a piece of plate to shove in there to cover the radar system in the winter, because nothing makes my dick harder than the thought of this loving piece of poo poo system engaging my brakes on ice or snow. I love being a beta-tester.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

Somewhere, a lawyer is trying to figure out how to start a class action lawsuit for people that got in a wreck.. because their car couldn't stop itself.

All the commercials about cars that can apply the brakes on their own really aren't helping.

I've already warned my family about BENDIX WINGMAN SYSTEM in my new truck and how it's already loving up, and if I crash and burn who to sue first.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Just because it is dark outside doesn't mean that your high beams are acceptable. This is the city. gently caress you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Just because it is dark outside doesn't mean that your high beams are acceptable. This is the city. gently caress you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I see someone has driven through DFW recently, where probably 5-10% of people drive with their high beams on constantly. Okay, fine, maybe a little less, but flashing your high beams gets absolutely no reaction here (unless it's a bro truck, then they whip a u-turn and light up all of their LED bars and ride your bumper).

I see at least as many people driving without any lights whatsoever at night, or just DRLs (even on cars that don't have clusters that are always lit up). I'm pretty sure most people on the road here everywhere are loving idiots. A coworker and I started counting how many people were driving in either condition the other night, it was well over 15% of cars passing our store around 10pm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Here is a Bro touting HIDs as a fuel-efficient mod for lifted trucks.

Some Bro posted:

Unlike typical passenger cars that tend to be on the more fuel efficient side, trucks and SUVs have no such luxury. Ineffective lighting system equipment can be detrimental to a vehicle’s overall fuel economy and drivers of lifted trucks and SUV’s can’t afford to waste any energy.

http://www.socaltrucks.com/2011/11/advantages-of-hid-headlights-on-lifted-trucks/

He goes on to say that HIDs should be adjusted for safety when installed on a lifted truck, but the Bro Truck community isn't known for being well-read.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Horse Divorce posted:

Here is a Bro touting HIDs as a fuel-efficient mod for lifted trucks.

http://www.socaltrucks.com/2011/11/advantages-of-hid-headlights-on-lifted-trucks/

He goes on to say that HIDs should be adjusted for safety when installed on a lifted truck, but the Bro Truck community isn't known for being well-read.

I mean it's technically true (some cursory googling claims 35 watts for HID vs 55 for halogen), but I don't think cutting 1.4 amps off the alternator load is gonna reduce fuel consumption a whole hell of a lot. The halogens use about 3.5 amps total, so even switching to LEDs (which use basically no power) isn't gonna produce any noticable savings; you'll probably save more never having to replace bulbs than you do on fuel.

Basically they're complete idiots.

fake edit: Now, if their electrical system is hosed to where the socket is shorted and drawing 50 amps, that might be another story, but if that's the case they've got bigger problems and an HID conversion won't fix them. :v:

vvyes. yes i did.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 30, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uh, no. Halogen headlamps consume at least 40 watts per bulb. Most US bulbs use 40-60 (each) for low beams, 50-70 for high beams, and that's just using 80s style bulbs. Divide that by 12 for amps, assuming the engine isn't running.

If it's not obvious, the lowest wattage bulbs were the earliest versions of halogens in the US. I'd like to say my car pulls 55/65 or so (low/high), or at least in that neighborhood. Pretty sure it uses USDM 9007s - it has standard wattage, but "brighter" bulbs (Philips xtreme vision bulbs I think, whatever the current version is of Philips high end non-tinted bulbs, supposedly brighter due to the gases or some poo poo).

And no, cutting 1.4 amps won't do anything noticeable for your mileage. Actual HIDs can pull quite a bit less power than halogens, assuming factory, but remember 12W = 1A when you're factoring car power (so it doesn't take much to trim an amp). In reality, voltage is more like 13.2-14.4 while running, depending on engine RPM, and amperage depends on voltage and watts.

the tl;dr: I think you meant to say amps.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 30, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Man, I get this all the time in my Ram. Regular lights, not highs, aimed properly, fogs off. Then someone flashes their highs at me. Drive a bit, no cop or anything, what the gently caress.

Then as I drove my mom's Corolla and a truck passed me, it dawned on me, "yeah big trucks shine their lights right in your eyes"

Now when people flash theirs at me I flash mine back.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Headlights on pickup trucks aren't that bad when compared to luxury crossovers. HIDs aren't that bad when compared to the LEDs. Acura is especially bad at this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Man, I get this all the time in my Ram. Regular lights, not highs, aimed properly, fogs off. Then someone flashes their highs at me. Drive a bit, no cop or anything, what the gently caress.

Then as I drove my mom's Corolla and a truck passed me, it dawned on me, "yeah big trucks shine their lights right in your eyes"

Now when people flash theirs at me I flash mine back.

Yeah, that's something I discovered in my BRZ. It's the perfect height for those lights to hit my rear view mirror. >.<

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I kind of wish the headlight arms race would stop, either through legislation or common sense. You can't pass anyone on a two lane road at night now without being blinded, which is way less safe overall.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

FogHelmut posted:

Headlights on pickup trucks aren't that bad when compared to luxury crossovers. HIDs aren't that bad when compared to the LEDs. Acura is especially bad at this.

Lincolns are the worst, I've noticed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

I kind of wish the headlight arms race would stop, either through legislation or common sense. You can't pass anyone on a two lane road at night now without being blinded, which is way less safe overall.

There are laws detailing vehicle lighting, it's a bit of a dry read though!

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

Realistically I don't know how the problem could be fixed. Traffic is always getting faster and while it's phenomenally stupid to overdrive your headlight range, people do it anyways and manufacturers will respond by extending headlight reach. Auto makers are there to sell a product, not deal with repercussions. There's also the issue (that's already been discussed) of large trucks having their headlights mounted higher to the detriment of people in lower cars.

Once upon a time when I was doing an overnight on the interstates I got an idea for mounting some kind of transparent LCD screen on the dashboard. It would use a camera to identify oncoming headlights, and dim the appropriate areas on the LCD to prevent the glare from getting to the driver. I don't know if that would actually work but that seems like it might? :iiam:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It was VERY foggy this morning on my way to work, overcast but not raining, so I turned on my fog lamps. Two cars flashed their brights at me because my headlights weren't on. :gonk:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

Once upon a time when I was doing an overnight on the interstates I got an idea for mounting some kind of transparent LCD screen on the dashboard. It would use a camera to identify oncoming headlights, and dim the appropriate areas on the LCD to prevent the glare from getting to the driver. I don't know if that would actually work but that seems like it might? :iiam:

The problem with that is that where you dim the screen depends on where your head is, so it would need to incorporate some head tracking as well to avoid blanking out the wrong spots (not necessarily hard, but it's going to cost a bit in terms of computers and software). It might work better if done with glasses, then you'd just have to calibrate it once by hand to your specific eye spacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
An Occulus Rift costs like $300. Slap a few external cameras onto the rig and add a PC, can get a hardware setup for around $1000. Then, just need to write some software to filter out headlights before streaming the video to your eyes. Just license Euro Truck Sim for the underlying software.