Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doctor Bishop posted:

God, gently caress Super Metroid's walljumping to hell and back. That game's walljumping mechanic has got to be the absolute worst I've seen in any platforming game I've ever played.

Also, as much poo poo as I'm sure to catch for this, the pretty much non-existent direction you get in Super Metroid will never not be annoying for me.

Really, Zero Mission did so well with just pointing you in the general direction you need to go to advance the plot and then leaving you to figure everything else out by yourself, but Super Metroid doesn't even have that much and it's like "Dammit, now I'm gonna have to look up a walkthrough again 'cuz I have absolutely no clue where I need to go next again."

First time I played Super Metroid I got to the room where you have to wall jump and the animals show you how. I gave up because I just couldn't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

I got the game free off Xbox Live so I bought some DLC purely because I liked it so much. It was all pretty crappy and I'd have been unhappy with it if I'd paid for the main game. There's a post-ending DLC which has an equally terrible ending, and that annoyed me because you'd think they'd be glad to get a second chance to go out strong. I love Sleeping Dogs a lot but it does feel like a lot of the later story stuff was half-done.

There's a ton of stuff in Sleeping Dogs that make it obvious that they had to scale back late in development. All the relationships, the last third of the story, the radio being glitchy as hell, most of the side missions, floating poo poo in side areas, the list goes on. It's a good thing the game is fun and interesting enough to make up for it but I really wish that they had been able to spend more time polishing the game before release.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I finished Assassin's Creed III not too long ago, and that game stood out among the other rear end Creeds for me due to its incredibly bad movement controls. You have to stealth around on the edges of ships? Better go slowly otherwise Connor will pull himself onto the railing and into a patrolling guards' arms. You have to chase a dude on horseback in a heavily wooded area? Better hope your horse doesn't hit any stray pixels because he'll stop or veer wildly. I understand that movement will be wonky because of all the objects Connor can climb and interact with, but I had to replay missions far too often because Connor would leap in random directions during free-running/would stick to walls while I chased guys.

Also I encountered a few glitches that made Homestead improvements a dead end. Every time I tried to lead the doctor to the farmer's wife in the woods, the doctor would just sit on his horse and stare at me. I tried to push his horse by riding mine into it, but the doctor just sank into the earth and the mission was failed. I guess she'll just sit there forever, stuck in a limbo that is the woods around my low-populated village.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Len posted:

First time I played Super Metroid I got to the room where you have to wall jump and the animals show you how. I gave up because I just couldn't figure it out.

worst part is there's a savepoint down in that pit, and i had to start an entirely new file because I just could not do that goddamn walljump.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a ton of stuff in Sleeping Dogs that make it obvious that they had to scale back late in development. All the relationships, the last third of the story, the radio being glitchy as hell, most of the side missions, floating poo poo in side areas, the list goes on. It's a good thing the game is fun and interesting enough to make up for it but I really wish that they had been able to spend more time polishing the game before release.

If the relationships in Sleeping Dogs were broken then all games should break their relationship poo poo. Doing one date type quest to get a decent perk is way better than doing tons of lovely date quests for a questionable perk.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Replaying the FPS Painkiller, it's pretty clear the game is not built for boss fights. Most of the bosses are trivialized by the cards, and the ones that aren't have bullshit gimmicks. Alastor's boss arena is small, circular, and cluttered with physics objects. Circle strafing isn't viable. Every stage in the boss fight starts with unavoidable fall damage, the last of which can be fatal. He's huge, unencumbered by the physics objects, and his attacks are basically unavoidable midrange. His last stage involves regenerating health. gently caress that boss.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The ending and the script in general for Sleeping Dogs went completely to pieces due to a lack of time/funding in finishing the game. A lot of people here kind of brush that under the rug for whatever reason, but it's definitely a major weakness of the game.

The DLC is all terrible and answers nothing. Do not buy it.

Ignore this person, the DLC is good and most of it is worth picking up. None of it really expands on the main game's story though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Ignore this person, the DLC is good and most of it is worth picking up. None of it really expands on the main game's story though.

You get to go on a second date with Not Ping!

I thought the DLC wasn't really worth it. Not bad per se, but not too worth it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MOST of the DLC is terrible, not all, the one with the ghosts and stuff is pretty good and it serves like a continuation of the main story.

So I'm replaying Parasite Eve and goddammit I forgot how horrible the inventory system is.

It starts out tiny as hell and you can increase it via some points you get as you level up, you can also use the same points to raise your weapon's stats but its generally better to raise your inventory, now what really loving sucks about it is that the game LOVES to fill your inventory with useless garbage that does nothing and you can't get rid of it till the following day, the worst one about this is the japanese scientist dude, once you meet him he hands you a charm before any major dungeon, these charms do absolutely nothing and you cannot get rid of them till you finish the stage, so right off the bat you've lost valuable inventory space.

Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazil posted:

If the relationships in Sleeping Dogs were broken then all games should break their relationship poo poo. Doing one date type quest to get a decent perk is way better than doing tons of lovely date quests for a questionable perk.

He probably meant how the dates were part of an obviously cut side story, because when you take the first girl out on a second date you both start referencing things that never happened.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It also makes Wei look like a huge creeper when you get a quest to confront one of the girls you can date cause she's cheating on you.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tengames posted:

worst part is there's a savepoint down in that pit, and i had to start an entirely new file because I just could not do that goddamn walljump.

Same. It's goddamn impossible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Same. It's goddamn impossible.

Y'all ate crazy, I could do that walljump when I was seven years old. It did require far too much precision in your ting, and was a pain to do, but it wasn't super hard, just annoying.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Walljumps in Super Metroid are easy but not at all intuitive. I knew how it worked before I ever played it but I could imagine never quite figuring it out.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I lost the escape countdown the first time because the lag kept messing up my screw attacks.
Also, in Pikmin 3, I lost 20 pikmmin because they have some pretty bad path-finding and ended up getting stuck behind a wall and said "gently caress it" and un-squaded themselves when the day ended.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The walljumps in Super Metroid rule because they're kinda tricky to figure out, but getting from pulling off regular wall jumps to walljumping straight up a single wall and breaking the game is really easy.

Super Metroid is better than Zero Mission and Fusion because those game feel way too planned out and controlled in the way that most modern games are. Still good games.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

MOST of the DLC is terrible, not all, the one with the ghosts and stuff is pretty good and it serves like a continuation of the main story.

So I'm replaying Parasite Eve and goddammit I forgot how horrible the inventory system is.

It starts out tiny as hell and you can increase it via some points you get as you level up, you can also use the same points to raise your weapon's stats but its generally better to raise your inventory, now what really loving sucks about it is that the game LOVES to fill your inventory with useless garbage that does nothing and you can't get rid of it till the following day, the worst one about this is the japanese scientist dude, once you meet him he hands you a charm before any major dungeon, these charms do absolutely nothing and you cannot get rid of them till you finish the stage, so right off the bat you've lost valuable inventory space.

Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea.

I thought the charm thing was sort of funny. He gives them to you and they sit there in your inventory and can't be used or discarded. In RPG World, that usually means the innocuous little item will surely become useful at just the right time to reveal an enemy's weakness or open a locked door or something awesome, so the whole time they're in your inventory, you're expecting something to happen that reveals their true purpose.

Nope. It's all just junk.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alteisen posted:

It also makes Wei look like a huge creeper when you get a quest to confront one of the girls you can date cause she's cheating on you.

It can also make Wei look absolutely batshit insane if you decide to murder the girl at the end of the quest and dump the body in the ocean. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

It can also make Wei look absolutely batshit insane if you decide to murder the girl at the end of the quest and dump the body in the ocean. :v:

This man is a police officer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tengames posted:

I didn't even know there was a walljump when I first played the game. So I learned to bomb jump out of it because I didn't want to start over.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Phantasium posted:

I didn't even know there was a walljump when I first played the game. So I learned to bomb jump out of it because I didn't want to start over.

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Phantasium posted:

Yeah this is seriously impressive.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

There's a walljump in Super Metroid? poo poo, now I know why I never beat the thing. :downs:

(just on an emulator, I'm sure if I'd owned it back in the day I'd have tried for more than an hour before forgetting about it)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
My roommate was playing The Witcher 2 the other day and was playing the stupid poker dice game against this one rear end in a top hat.

Every time he won against him he would get told that he was lucky, but not lucky enough to gain a relic of the gods. He would then be booted out of the conversation and pushed back to the centre of the room where he'd have to walk back towards the rear end in a top hat, mash A to get back to the poker game and maybe lose again.

We had a couple theories going - 'maybe you're meant to have double the number of wins?' since he lost the first few times, 'maybe you're meant to become the town's grand champion first?' so he went off and beat another sidequest completely.

After going from 11-8 win/lose to 18-9 win/lose, the last attempt was 'maybe it's ten more wins than losses?'

After he wins again I search on my phone - it was a loving good old games ad that was never removed from the PC game after the promotion ended or removed when it was ported to the 360.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I avoided the dice poker quests because I hate dice poker, and it stuck in my craw to let precious experience points slip through my fingers, but I guess I made the right choice after all :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DStecks posted:

There's a walljump in Super Metroid? poo poo, now I know why I never beat the thing. :downs:

(just on an emulator, I'm sure if I'd owned it back in the day I'd have tried for more than an hour before forgetting about it)

IIRC, it's not actually required to beat the game. In fact, the only area where you actually need it is the pit where you're forcibly taught how to walljump in the first place.

Speaking of which, I do recall getting stuck there for a while. I think frustrated button mashing eventually did the trick, though I think I also tried bomb jumping at one point too.

I uh, still don't actually know how to walljump in Super Metroid.

Edit: I decided I had nothing better to do at 2AM so I looked it up on Youtube and after some messing around I think I've gotten the hang of it. The timing on it is fairly precise, and the visual cues and general logic of it aren't all that intuitive. From what I can tell, Samus doesn't go into "wall jump mode" unless you hold away from the wall while your momentum carries you into it, which leaves you with only a split second to hit the jump button before you switch directions and promptly fall away from the wall. Holding the run button isn't necessary, but doing so helps your momentum a whole hell of a lot.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pidmon posted:

My roommate was playing The Witcher 2 the other day and was playing the stupid poker dice game against this one rear end in a top hat.

Every time he won against him he would get told that he was lucky, but not lucky enough to gain a relic of the gods. He would then be booted out of the conversation and pushed back to the centre of the room where he'd have to walk back towards the rear end in a top hat, mash A to get back to the poker game and maybe lose again.

We had a couple theories going - 'maybe you're meant to have double the number of wins?' since he lost the first few times, 'maybe you're meant to become the town's grand champion first?' so he went off and beat another sidequest completely.

After going from 11-8 win/lose to 18-9 win/lose, the last attempt was 'maybe it's ten more wins than losses?'

After he wins again I search on my phone - it was a loving good old games ad that was never removed from the PC game after the promotion ended or removed when it was ported to the 360.

this explains EVERYTHING oh my god that guy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

You're telling me that there are people that didn't take every opportunity to shove people in the back of the car and send them flying off into the sea? :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Xoidanor posted:

You're telling me that there are people that didn't take every opportunity to shove people in the back of the car and send them flying off into the sea? :colbert:

Yeah, lots of them. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Because ummm... :wtc:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, lots of them. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Because ummm... :wtc:

Yea, that's just sick dude.

I just broke their kneecaps. :v:

Let's see the dancing girl dance on one leg. :smug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you didn't respond to every sleight against your character by stuffing the person responsible into a stolen car, then launching it off a pier, then I just don't think you're cut out for the Triad life, buddy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
This website is hosed up... All of you are loving twisted.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
You could say that this website hosts poo poo thats...

Something Awful.

:v:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Virtual people aren't real and should be epicly owned on the regular. It's not just a right... it's a duty as a gamer. :twisted:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, it's not actually required to beat the game. In fact, the only area where you actually need it is the pit where you're forcibly taught how to walljump in the first place.
Yes, the section is completely optional. Space Jump makes walljumping obsolete, but you can get a lot of goodies early if you know how to do it.

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: I decided I had nothing better to do at 2AM so I looked it up on Youtube and after some messing around I think I've gotten the hang of it. The timing on it is fairly precise, and the visual cues and general logic of it aren't all that intuitive. From what I can tell, Samus doesn't go into "wall jump mode" unless you hold away from the wall while your momentum carries you into it, which leaves you with only a split second to hit the jump button before you switch directions and promptly fall away from the wall. Holding the run button isn't necessary, but doing so helps your momentum a whole hell of a lot.
Many games have an intermediate step in walljumping where the character grabs the wall and turns away automatically. Even the monkeys do it, so they can be a bit misleading.

Content:
They Bleed Pixels is a retro platformer with plenty of opportunities for instant deaths, so the controls have to be pretty tight. But certain moves like the kick require you to stand still and press the attack button. But if you hold the directional pad to the side while pressing the attack button, you'll do a weak slash instead. Both attacks have knockback, so if you accidentally do one instead of other, you end up doing a clumsy shuffle after the opponent. Why didn't they just use an another button for the kick?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Austrian mook posted:

This website is hosed up... All of you are loving twisted.

Hey man, all's fair in love and war, and also sending people to watery graves.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pidmon posted:

This is weird because the dude wouldn't even speak to me in any version of the game and definitely wouldn't play dice.

2house2fly posted:

I avoided the dice poker quests because I hate dice poker, and it stuck in my craw to let precious experience points slip through my fingers, but I guess I made the right choice after all :v:

There are at least a few quests that require dice poker in order to get the quest item and at least one of them is mandatory depending on which side you go with. You can also get some nice diagrams and stuff instead of coins. But really the dice poker stuff is easy as long as you save scum it to minimize how much cash you lose.

Arm wrestling will probably break the stick on my controller someday though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon 8 year old me spent around 2 hours trying to get walljumping right. I figured it out from the walljumping dudes but it still took me ages to reliably pull off. After that I was a walljump monster.

I think the next bit that stumped me was powerbombing that glass chamber in order to take a different way into Maridia. Man, Super Metroid was awesome.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Valdis Story in one of the current Humble Bundles is a great metroidvania, except for the fact that there's a merchant about an hour in who sells an item, and if you buy it, it summons a superboss early and prevents you from going to the area that lets you upgrade your poo poo.

There is exactly zero indication that this item does this, and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to fight this loving boss whether you like it or not. Your fault for buying things from the shop, motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Valdis Story in one of the current Humble Bundles is a great metroidvania, except for the fact that there's a merchant about an hour in who sells an item, and if you buy it, it summons a superboss early and prevents you from going to the area that lets you upgrade your poo poo.

There is exactly zero indication that this item does this, and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to fight this loving boss whether you like it or not. Your fault for buying things from the shop, motherfucker

At the start of the game, after you arrive at the first town, you're told to go right. What the game doesn't tell you is that if you go left instead, and backtrack to where you fought the first boss, you get the opportunity to fight a late-game boss.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is a bad game.

Fighting that boss is necessary for 100% completion.

These two facts may be related.