Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

lame I don't remember how to do this crap :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a screen shot from the game, thre level choosing screen. i intend to put a few things and you can progress around the island

i totally ripped off the idea but it's all my execution
still very much a WIP but im off to bed and it was OK enough to share
might have to tidy up meshes a bit and resize the UVs!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like the aesthetics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holyshit

dude

that looks good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks dudes! that means a lot. still got a long way to go. that aesthetic is relatively easy to model in compared to high poly stuff so it suits me! pro-tip: blender owns btw

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

echinopsis posted:

thanks dudes! that means a lot. still got a long way to go. that aesthetic is relatively easy to model in compared to high poly stuff so it suits me! pro-tip: blender owns btw

how long did it take to figure out how to render make something like this in blender?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um well the "render" (ie, just viewing it) is in UE4

Blender at first takes a bit of getting used to. a lot of people think the UI sucks, it doesn't suck, they suck, and haven't realised it just has a steep learning curve

I've been doing it now for about a month or two in my spare time? blender seems ideal for this low-poly stuff. high poly not so much

it's also really fast to use, it doesn't crash and doesn't feel dated, unlike contemporary 3dsmax or whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw i believe we're switching bbs platforms before release

https://github.com/jquast/x84

currently maintained, all python, modern design (objects etc). it looks pretty fuckin good

we'll put the yosbbs build on github and you guys can submit pull requests if u want

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

echinopsis posted:

um well the "render" (ie, just viewing it) is in UE4

Blender at first takes a bit of getting used to. a lot of people think the UI sucks, it doesn't suck, they suck, and haven't realised it just has a steep learning curve

I've been doing it now for about a month or two in my spare time? blender seems ideal for this low-poly stuff. high poly not so much

it's also really fast to use, it doesn't crash and doesn't feel dated, unlike contemporary 3dsmax or whatever

neat thanks :tipshat:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea i'm really fuckin impressed by ue4 w/ what you have been showing here. do you know anything about the robustness of its plugins and i/o stuff? like if i wanted to be constantly loading and rendering geometry that was being altered on the file system, would that be possible?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I do believe so. And you get the full engine source, so you can always change things around if it doesn't do exactly what you want.

Looked into it for iPhone stuff, and the binary alone is 35MB :ohdear:. If you're doing iOS development and want to do your development in the Blueprint visual scripting/node thing (which is what echi is using), you have to do your development on Windows :rolleyes:x10000000.Because UE4 has an "everything and the kitchen sink" prebuilt binary for iOS (that's bigger than the 35MB one) that it packages together with your content, signs, and installs on the device somehow, and their custom installer that can be run from UnrealEd (or whatever it's called) only works on Windows (again :rolleyes:x10000000). If you want to alter the source code and ship an iOS app you still need to do it on a Mac, since you need Xcode and LLVM and all that.

:rolleyes:x100000 because, as someone who is already an iOS app/game developer, the idea of setting up a Windows box and using Windows so I can play around with UE4 to make an iOS game is extremely unappealing, and requiring Windows to be able to use Blueprint is dumb as gently caress and a dealbreaker for me.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 25, 2014

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
tell us how you really feel about windows

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
why would I want to use windows when I already do all my iOS development on a Mac like a normal person?

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 25, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yea i'm really fuckin impressed by ue4 w/ what you have been showing here. do you know anything about the robustness of its plugins and i/o stuff? like if i wanted to be constantly loading and rendering geometry that was being altered on the file system, would that be possible?

i don't know

from within the engine it's really robust when it comes to swapping out meshes and retaining eveyrthing else working fine. idk about anything else though

it's worth knowing that they way the graphics are done, is that all meshes that are completely static and lights thta are static are then "built" with the GI and everything solved then. there is no dynamic GI (yet, on horizon apparently once big game being build with engine is released) so stuff that isn't built, and moves or is brought in later on whatever WONT be baked/built and just lit dynamicsally, which means no area lights, no GI etc.

its a little bit disapointing and stuff just doesnt look as good when its moving (most of the stuff I've posted HAS been built like that, all the backgrounds etc)

also it has this neat trick where it uses temporal anti aliasing which makes some stuff look real good but other stuff looks real poo poo with it, and ive had to ditch it for my game unfortunately

Doc Block posted:

why would I want to use windows when I already do all my iOS development on a Mac like a normal person?

I didn't know all those things but tbh if you wanna use IoS and UE4 I'd code it anyway for efficently

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 25, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

its perhaps worth noting that UE4 is sort of released as an "early access" thing, and when 4.0 came out a lot of things weren't finished. its the nature of software these days to release unfished and update update update

so maybe the future will look different

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like the aesthetics

this irl

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

has anyone made a bot that automatically sells my steam inventory on the steam market

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I made a bot once to help me speculate on the whole steam summer cards thing. I made like $50 with it.

that's my computational high speed trading adventure for you :smug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i don't care about HFTing the market I just want to automate punching in the lowest sell order price and clicking buy

shouldn't be too hard

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
basically I did it because I wanted to sell all my cards at the reasonably best price in that moment in one click, instead of selecting card by card and clicking sell

I wouldn't say it's hard, it's just kinda boring to work out the details, like making the steam website think that you're a browser and not a script (it's not just setting the user-agent request field)

the steam market changed the interface a lot since I played with it so I guess the lovely code that I used back then doesn't really work anymore.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
steam changes itself weekly

but yes that would be good. manuly selling is painful

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I ended up finding a greasemonkey script that ran all the inventory calls for me and with a little modification automatically undercut the lowest sell order and made 70 bucks. woot.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

I ended up finding a greasemonkey script that ran all the inventory calls for me and with a little modification automatically undercut the lowest sell order and made 70 bucks. woot.

was this after they implemented buy orders?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

was this after they implemented buy orders?

since when does steam do buy orders

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
two months ago maybe? the spread on most popular items is like a cent now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross postion from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664580

but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh4XeU7Wyso

I made a bird ship. a bird that flaps a lot. kinda lovely but I saw something today and had an idea and made it largely happen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like a rocket w/ poo poo hanging off the sides

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well its meant to flap

i did make a version where the boost the rocket was given by the movement of the wings themselves, but that made it mega unstable

th flappy end wings do nothing but make it look goofy. i might remove them. or nOT! hahaha

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

current spare time project: attempting to transcribe Life at the Outpost into famitracker for a secret project using a semi-accurate chord sheet and singing lines i can't figure out into a pitch tracker

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/outpost

the verse is correct but there's something off about the chorus rhythm i can't figure out. i also can't get the harmonies to sound right...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you should just take music dictation classes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

you should just take music dictation classes

yeah probably

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs:

taking it old school

of course it is yosbbs season and that's about to launch; we're using Mystic BBS for now. sadly source is not available

so in the meantime, we'll put it up so people can lord....but.

my current project is kind of turning out to be: take x84, a 'modern' bbs software https://github.com/jquast/x84

rip out its somewhat jank IPC system

replace it with rabbitmq

rip out its sqlite3 databases and replace with "something that can be centralized"

Goal is to have a resizable bbs cluster that seamlessly looks like one big rear end system, has one system-wide LoRD game, etc etc. also im going to build social networking features in, do a webapi and maybe do a mobile app

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs:

taking it old school

of course it is yosbbs season and that's about to launch; we're using Mystic BBS for now. sadly source is not available

so in the meantime, we'll put it up so people can lord....but.

my current project is kind of turning out to be: take x84, a 'modern' bbs software https://github.com/jquast/x84

rip out its somewhat jank IPC system

replace it with rabbitmq

rip out its sqlite3 databases and replace with "something that can be centralized"

Goal is to have a resizable bbs cluster that seamlessly looks like one big rear end system, has one system-wide LoRD game, etc etc. also im going to build social networking features in, do a webapi and maybe do a mobile app

man, i really gotta stop pissing my free time away and pick one of my 80 million terrible ideas to make some loving progress on

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i posted about this before but someone requested more info about it so i wrote a lot of dumb text about it

my yospos as hell smoker set up: http://imgur.com/a/JxwpO

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

man, i really gotta stop pissing my free time away and pick one of my 80 million terrible ideas to make some loving progress on

same

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i posted about this before but someone requested more info about it so i wrote a lot of dumb text about it

gat dam

:eyepop:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

thinking about changing the sig up to a map (world? usa?) that shows live traceroutes from the server to anyone currently streaming the gif

i could show a few more data points with link color and thickness, maybe like packet loss by coloring to red and avg time by thickness or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sharktopus posted:

thinking about changing the sig up to a map (world? usa?) that shows live traceroutes from the server to anyone currently streaming the gif

i could show a few more data points with link color and thickness, maybe like packet loss by coloring to red and avg time by thickness or something

:nsallears:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

if i had that :nsa: dataset id be living in neuromancer right now

gonna try and do neat things with less traffic anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted: