Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's really interesting and I genuinely did not know that, since most of Stern's legacy is in his use of non-traditional Spidey villains like Nitro, Juggernaut, Mr. Hyde or then-new creations like the Hobgoblin. How on earth did he make The Vulture of all characters a credible threat? I know at some point they added razor feathers the Vulture could shoot, which is kind-of lame but necessary, but I can't imagine what else they'd do without just contriving scenarios where the Vulture is way more of a mastermind than he was ever shown to be originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I love that Peter David wrote that basically as a big baby gently caress you to Erik Larsen. Completely jobs the gently caress out of Doc Ock, reverts him from the three piece suit/lab coat Larsen put him in back into the fat guy green suit, then to top it off, straight up steals "the finger" joke from Larsen's spidey issue.

The David/Larsen feud definitely had its moments.

The finger that killed Doc Ock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of the Vulture and being lame, does anyone even remember that new Vulture they tried pushing a few years ago? I haven't seen anyone get shelved so quickly after being introduced since the 90s.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember thane awesome fight between Rucka's Punisher and the Vulture, but I don't have those scans anymore to post.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom and Kristoff are badass and they don't have to lift a finger to be badass

New Avengers #24

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kristoff has been taking to his "how to destroy a man with one line" lessons I see.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I know at some point they added razor feathers the Vulture could shoot,

Did they do that with the Vulture too? Because that was Angel/Archangel from X-Men as well then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kristoff has been taking to his "how to destroy a man with one line" lessons I see.

It's even better because right after Kristoff questions Doom's decision in refusing. Kristoff didn't agree and still just flowed right into burning the hell out of Namor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WickedHate posted:

It's even better because right after Kristoff questions Doom's decision in refusing. Kristoff didn't agree and still just flowed right into burning the hell out of Namor.

Not every day you get the chance to ice burn Namor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I really like "Doom is no man's second choice." A badass breakup-line if there ever was one.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Grendels Dad posted:

I really like "Doom is no man's second choice." A badass breakup-line if there ever was one.

Doom is a strong independant lady who don't need no second-rate fishmonger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AnonSpore posted:

Not every day you get the chance to ice burn Namor.
Namor could have turned into that Earth X version of himself that's always on fire and Doom/Kristoff still would have had superior heat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
To be fair to the Vulture, the loving Enforcers were once a credible threat to Spider-Man. Keep in mind, they were originally just a short dude who knew judo, an unusually strong guy, and a dude with a lasso.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Skwirl posted:

To be fair to the Vulture, the loving Enforcers were once a credible threat to Spider-Man. Keep in mind, they were originally just a short dude who knew judo, an unusually strong guy, and a dude with a lasso.

To be really fair, a LOT of Marvel heroes had their primary villains established in the 60's when the comic writing mindset was different and hence what constituted a 'threat' was different. Honestly, once it hit the 80's and Spider Man started becoming properly iconic, how many supervillains since then got introduced that really felt like they belonged in the original 60's club? Hobgoblin, Venom, MAYBE Carnage?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

To be even more fair to the Vulture, he's basically the Falcon with super strength and no morals. Alternatively, he's a Goblin with better air control, no gadgets, and less crazy. Maybe it's because all my Vulture exposure is from the 80s runs you guys were talking about, but I don't see what makes the guy any less dangerous than a lot of other Spider-Man villains, aside from 'this one looks like an old geezer.'

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drakyn posted:

To be even more fair to the Vulture, he's basically the Falcon with super strength and no morals. Alternatively, he's a Goblin with better air control, no gadgets, and less crazy. Maybe it's because all my Vulture exposure is from the 80s runs you guys were talking about, but I don't see what makes the guy any less dangerous than a lot of other Spider-Man villains, aside from 'this one looks like an old geezer.'

Hawkman syndrome. "Okay, superhero/villain can fly? What else?". Flight alone just isn't impressive and isn't an offensive power. Of course, Hawkman has super strength and that alien mace, and Vulture can (apparently, I know next to nothing about the Vulture) shoot bladed wings and also has super strength.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Does Namor still refer to himself as "Prince"?

I mean, who does he answer to?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know anything about Namor, so it could be different in his specific case, but afaik Prince can be used as a generic title for male royalty, even a monarch, so he doesn't necessarily need to be a prince under a king, if that makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince#Prince_as_a_substantive_title

There's a famous Machiavelli quote using Prince in this manner: "So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Guys like Vulture and Osborn have the Marvel quality of their "powers" being incidental, and their real powers being something more innate. Vulture may not be the worst guy to be against in a fist fight but he's extremely smart and crafty and one hell of an engineer.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, who does he answer to?

Presumably he's a ruling prince of a sovereign principality. There used to be a million of 'em, but nowadays I think there's only Monaco and Liechtenstein. I don't remember whether the various emirates are equivalent, but possibly them too.

Interestingly, "prince" is derived from the Roman Empire in the Latin princeps, while "king" is derived from the Germanic kuningaz used by the tribes who conquered and ruled territories formerly part of the Western Roman Empire. Namor's new emphasis on being a *king* rather than a prince could be a very subtle indication that he believes his actions have placed him among the 'barbarians'... or the writers could just believe like most people that a prince is a shittier version of a king and it means nothing. Whichever!

You could argue that Victor von Doom actually chose "Doctor Doom" as his title of monarchy. In the ancient usage of the term, a "doctor" (from the Latin for 'I teach') was one of the philosophical authorities of the early Christian church, someone who was in addition to their temporal authority one of the few licensed to preach and interpret the Truth. Or, again, they just needed a bit of alliteration and it means nothing.

Dammit Who? fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 29, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dammit Who? posted:

Presumably he's a ruling prince of a sovereign principality. There used to be a million of 'em, but nowadays I think there's only Monaco and Liechtenstein. I don't remember whether the various emirates are equivalent, but possibly them too.

Don't forget the most famous principality-Zeon. :japan:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dammit Who? posted:

You could argue that Victor von Doom actually chose "Doctor Doom" as his title of monarchy. In the ancient usage of the term, a "doctor" (from the Latin for 'I teach') was one of the philosophical authorities of the early Christian church, someone who was in addition to their temporal authority one of the few licensed to preach and interpret the Truth. Or, again, they just needed a bit of alliteration and it means nothing.

Has he though? I can't remember the last time Doom has called himself "Doctor" or really anything besides just "Doom".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

team overhead smash posted:

Doc Ock has just never struck me as a realistic threat because at the end of the day he is a normal dude without any armour who has some metal limbs. Pretty much any super hero can beat him by dodging past the arms and punching the pudgy normal-strength nerd in the face. Cops should be able to take him out by just firing some bullets at him. Hell, normal dudes could just throw some poo poo at him and all it takes is one good hit to knock him silly. To me he's always been a C-lister and I've no idea why he is treated so highly.

I haven't actually read many Ock stories, especially as I've avoided Slott like the plague. The only one I can vaguely recall is some storyline in the Clone Sage where he tries to cure Pete of some illness. Is there some great quintessential Ock story I'm missing?

I thought Ultimate Doc Ock was a pretty interesting villain, especially given that his power went from "grafted to robot tentacles" to " the ability to manipulate metal". It sucked that they jobbed him out during the Sinister Six storyline in Ultimate Spider-man to prove how scary Norman Osborn could be.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was Ultimate Doc Ock the one who could control his arms from a distance?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Uthor posted:

No, that's Newspaper Strip Doc Ock. :v:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

ruddiger posted:

I love that Peter David wrote that basically as a big baby gently caress you to Erik Larsen. Completely jobs the gently caress out of Doc Ock, reverts him from the three piece suit/lab coat Larsen put him in back into the fat guy green suit, then to top it off, straight up steals "the finger" joke from Larsen's spidey issue.

The David/Larsen feud definitely had its moments.

Plus bad puns: "petty larceny"; "save your image."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Uthor posted:

Yes. I posted some strips on the previous page.

That later evolved into he could control the metal mentally and he starts clobbing together arms from random stuff in a sort of Magneto-ish way.

He's had a pretty good evolution in Ultimate SpiderMan that goes a long way towards explaining how he's still a threat even though power levels and lethality have gone up.

I'm so glad they ditched Osborn in favor of Ock in USM.

I haven't read anything since Ultimatum so maybe Osborn comes back, but I hope not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm so glad they ditched Osborn in favor of Ock in USM.

I haven't read anything since Ultimatum so maybe Osborn comes back, but I hope not.

He does. One of the first thing he does is kill Ock.

Sorry. Ultimate Spider-Man is still really good, though!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He does. One of the first thing he does is kill Ock.

Sorry. Ultimate Spider-Man is still really good, though!

He actually comes back three separate times.

Dead means dead indeed.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

CharlestheHammer posted:

He actually comes back three separate times.

Dead means dead indeed.

He's only been shot and crushed. Considering normal GG has a healing factor, it's not surprising Ultimate Turns Into A Monster GG has a ridiculous one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, now I gotta go buy a van so I can airbrush this on the side.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Crowetron posted:

Man, now I gotta go buy a van so I can airbrush this on the side.

Maybe fix perspective on The Spectre, but yeah, the vengeful right hand of God riding a T-rex is a pretty boss image. drat, I need a van.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ManiacClown posted:

Maybe fix perspective on The Spectre, but yeah, the vengeful right hand of God riding a T-rex is a pretty boss image. drat, I need a van.

All-Black the Necrovan, the Annihiliconoline, the Slicer of Highways.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

This cover has stunning theological implications. Did God smite the dinosaurs?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

ManiacClown posted:

Not only is he riding the dinosaur, his legs are one with the dinosaur. The vengeful right hand of God is literally half dinosaur!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That whole run of Spectre is one cool cover after another (usually by a different artist each month).

Another Spectre Rides Something Ridiculous cover:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be really fair, a LOT of Marvel heroes had their primary villains established in the 60's when the comic writing mindset was different and hence what constituted a 'threat' was different. Honestly, once it hit the 80's and Spider Man started becoming properly iconic, how many supervillains since then got introduced that really felt like they belonged in the original 60's club? Hobgoblin, Venom, MAYBE Carnage?

Hell, doesn't the freaking SHOCKER of all people have the best proverbial "win/loss/tie" record against Spidey?

Unscheduled Stop is one of my favorite short storylines and I wish I knew which trade paperback it's in so I could read it again.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
From the SECRET WARRIORS series - all images click for badbigassery:

Issue #2:

Guess Strucker knew he wasn't going to have to pay off.

Issue #9:

"Smithers! Release the hounds Furybots..."

Issue #23:

When in a three-way war, why not sign one enemy's name to the assassination of one of the other enemy's leaders?

Issue #27:

I wonder if anyone actually thought that Fury was going to listen to anything Strucker had to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Double-post because we need some Thor up in here, too. Still clickable for more Asgardian resolutions.

Thor: Ages of Thunder

Boom headshot. Also, "Clean this poo poo up, Loki, I gotta deliver some giant skulls to Frazetta and Vallejo here."

Later in the same book:

How do you top the headshot? Hole-in-one, baby!

Thor: Reign of Blood

Odin takest not poo poo from female Frost Giants that he was perving on in years past.

We now pause to remind you the holidays are coming.

"Now Swamptooth! Now Warhoof!
Now Mudbrute and Firegnaw!
On Smokemare! On Slaughterbit!
On Snow Harpy and Stormbringer!
To the top of Yggdrasil!
To the top of Valhalla!
Now slash away! Now smash away!
Now lightning bolt all!"

Thor: Man of War

You thought Odin was pissed at the Frost Giantess?

No. *Now* he's pissed.

This post was brought to you by a generous grant from All-Black the Necrovan, the Annihiliconoline, the Slicer of Highways. (Courtesy of Phy)