Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rudd was selling a positive, forward-looking platform too. It played well off the perception that Howard's time was up. The Coalition might have lost even if it had been Beazley vs Howard (or Beazley vs Costello), but Rudd's time as Opposition Leader put the nails in the coffin.

Yeah, barring a cataclysmic Labor failure the Liberals were always going to lose in 2007, but it was Rudd's platform that caused them to win it by as much as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Endman posted:

Who's got the October OP? It's the 1st tomorrow.

Xylo???

Do us proud.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm interested in the experiences of african australians so I am going to don blackface and walk around noble park for the next two days before reporting my findings back to the comments section of andrew bolt's blog, wish me luck

You could be the next John Saffran!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Seagull posted:

Xylo???

Do us proud.

Next month's OP will be done by a Telstra Employee.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

By my incredibly rough estimates, Townsville has around 100k people employed, an unemployment rate of 10%, and 500-1000 jobs advertised.

Draw some conclusions.

Those bludgers need to do unpaid work, obviously. All the volunteering will help their resumes and they can get jobs elsewhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think if the Coalition hadn't lost in 2007 they'd have been annihilated in 2010 (which is what happened to the NSW Labor in 2007 / 2011, but for somewhat different reasons). From their perspective it was probably not the worst election to lose.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Seagull posted:

Xylo???

Do us proud.

Nah bugger that. The last Xylo OP was shithouse. I've got it.

It's gonna be great.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

You could be the next John Saffran!

I can't afford a yarmulke after spending all my money on shoe polish.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

By my incredibly rough estimates, Townsville has around 100k people employed, an unemployment rate of 10%, and 500-1000 jobs advertised.

Draw some conclusions.

According to Eric Abetz, all of those people should move to Tasmania and pick fruit.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

hooman posted:

I'd be interested for the last couple of weeks to see the ratio of violence by Muslims, against violence against Muslims, since it's about I'm guessing it's about 1:6 so far. So I wonder which group are the real threat to our way of life with their violent extremism....

yeah but therer are about 12 million "white" aussies, and only about 500,000 muslims

so you do the math and figure out violent incidents committed per capita and then see which way it leans

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

I can't afford a yarmulke after spending all my money on shoe polish.

Use vegemite, its cheaper. And at the end of the day you can wipe it off with a slice of bread and hey! Dinners sorted!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's got to be more than 12 million.

quote:

http://www.indexmundi.com/australia/demographics_profile.html
Ethnic groups white 92%, Asian 7%, aboriginal and other 1%

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

open24hours posted:

It's got to be more than 12 million.

yeah but not all of them are australian, im sure theres ukrainians and estonians and stuff in there as well, probably italians and greeks

i mean white australians

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vladimir Poutine posted:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...m-1227074424851
"Office fitout company ISIS Group Australia considers name change after staff abused as ‘terrorists’"

I remember when the French did nuclear testing in the Pacific and every idiot went around saying they were boycotting croissants and éclairs.

Because the local bread shop totally imports those from loving France :doh:

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Like the Australian government gives a poo poo about breaching human rights.

If Labor had any balls, they'd be putting up billboards all across the country telling people "Terrorism isn't a threat to the Australian way of life - the Liberal party is."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

yeah but not all of them are australian, im sure theres ukrainians and estonians and stuff in there as well, probably italians and greeks

i mean white australians

If you've got citizenship you're Australian, whether you like it or not.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember when the French did nuclear testing in the Pacific and every idiot went around saying they were boycotting croissants and éclairs.

We import fresh bread from Denmark and Germany, not France. Idiots.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Gorilla Salad posted:

rename croissants "freedom bread" and eclairs "liberty buns"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was reading a story about a french polishing business that nearly shut because all their custom dried up as well as dealing with abusive calls. :smith:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 30, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SynthOrange posted:

I was reading a story about a french polishing business that nearly shut because all their custom dried up as well as dealing with abusive calls. :smith:

I still refuse to perform a French kiss not by choice

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

So similar to that ISIS thing from yesterday. Have Australians ever not been loving stupid?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

People are stupid everywhere. I remember pediatricians and pediatrists getting run out of town in the UK due to abuse. :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Endman posted:

Who's got the October OP? It's the 1st tomorrow.

I was going to ask if anyone had dibs so I could do a Jojo OP, but after the Hierophant Greens and the LabORAORAORAORAORA party, I couldn't think of any suitable wordplay for the LNP.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Country of Birth: Australia is 15 million
Identified Ancestry: Australian is 7 million

So somewhere between a ratio of 1:14 and 1:30 to have equal per capita stats.

I think we're at 8 now and counting?

EDIT: Come on Aussies, don't let me down, leave me totally unsurprised that you're more violent and extreme on a per capita basis than the minority you're persecuting.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 30, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mad Katter posted:

So similar to that ISIS thing from yesterday. Have Australians ever not been loving stupid?

Well the First Fleet started by not bringing any farmers/tradespeople and planting their crops in the wrong season, so yeah

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

People are stupid everywhere. I remember pediatricians and pediatrists getting run out of town in the UK due to abuse. :v:

This is why offender registries are a stupid idea, because an idiot vigelante group will wind up burning down the wrong house.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot resumes at Brookeside but besides that I feel like I'm all out of cards.

Mithranderp posted that there was a job opening at Sinbads in Toowong Village, have you sent one their way?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

hooman posted:

EDIT: Come on Aussies, don't let me down, leave me totally unsurprised that you're more violent and extreme on a per capita basis than the minority you're persecuting.

this is my personal bugbear in census data, ancestry is a loving useless category which is subjective and lets you choose up to two options

so some people will answer "irish" and "english" because they had a grandparent from those countries, while others will answer "australian" on the same basis

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Bifauxnen posted:

I was going to ask if anyone had dibs so I could do a Jojo OP, but after the Hierophant Greens and the LabORAORAORAORAORA party, I couldn't think of any suitable wordplay for the LNP.

Death 13 and something about being literal babies.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

this is my personal bugbear in census data, ancestry is a loving useless category which is subjective and lets you choose up to two options

so some people will answer "irish" and "english" because they had a grandparent from those countries, while others will answer "australian" on the same basis

And don't get me started on people who identify as indigenous...
:boltsay:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Getting crime stats you can trust is the next part in your problem. White perpetrators are much more likely to be given the 'benefit of the doubt' by the attending officer than who ever is being profiled by the community.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I wonder if these guys will also be swept up by the foreign fighters/support for foreign criminal organisation laws.

Guardian Au posted:

Golden Dawn: Australian branch of far-right Greek party raises cash
Ultra-nationalist party raises funds and clothing in Australia using an unregistered charity and sends donations to Greece

Michael Safi

The Australian branch of Greece’s ultra-nationalist Golden Dawn party is raising funds locally using an unregistered charity.

A Melbourne-based charity named Voithame Tin Ellada (VTE) – which translates to “We are helping Greece” – has been raising cash and clothing from Australia’s Greek community since late last year.

The donations are ostensibly sent to Greece to help citizens afflicted by the country’s financial downturn. A shipping container of clothing collected from Australians was sent to Greece in March.

Photographs on the charity’s Facebook page show its members clad in matching T-shirts bearing the far-right party’s name and swastika-like logo.

A Christmas fundraising drive – asking donors to deposit their money into a Greek bank account – was announced on the page last week by Golden Dawn’s Australian representative, Ignatius Gavrilidis.

Gavrilidis confirmed to Guardian Australia that VTE was affiliated with the controversial Greek political party, whose leader, Nikolaos Michaloliakos, is in detention awaiting trial on charges of running a criminal organisation.

But Gavrilidis said the money raised by VTE’s fundraising efforts only went towards buying food for the needy. “We buy the food direct from the producers and Golden Dawn takes delivery of the goods … We use their labour, they hand out the food where it’s appropriate,” he said.

“They [the recipients] need to hold citizenship. As long as they hold citizenship, it gets distributed to them.”

The organisation is not registered with either federal or state charity regulators.

Golden Dawn’s anti-immigrant, antisemitic and homophobic rhetoric has found favour with some in a Greek population reeling from the country’s financial crisis, and the party has become the third-largest political force in Athens.

Its members have been accused by human rights groups of leading street attacks on dark-skinned immigrants, gays and Muslims. All 18 Golden Dawn members of the Greek parliament were arrested in police raids last year after an anti-fascist rapper, Pavlos Fyssas, was murdered, allegedly by thugs affiliated with the party.

Since the crackdown, the party has increasingly turned to its overseas branches to help deliver aid and build support among the Greek population, Gavrilidis said.

“The [Greek] government has virtually financially dried the party; they’ve stopped any funding, any entitlements they get as a party,” he said. “So to continue to help those in need they are reaching out to those beyond their borders.”

Gavrilidis said VTE was set up in November 2013 by members of the Greek community not associated with Golden Dawn. “But these individuals failed to attract support, and I offered my assistance, and they were more than happy to get it off the ground,” he said.

Within two months the organisation had been absorbed into Golden Dawn’s Australian branch, he said. “We decided to aid VTE and back them up, and we became VTE ourselves.”

Sotiris Hatzimanolis, the editor of the Greek community newspaper Neos Kosmos, said it was “not really common knowledge” within Australia’s Greek diaspora that VTE was a front for Golden Dawn.

Victorian Liberal MP Nicholas Kotsiras, who is of Greek heritage, said he was “disappointed” that Golden Dawn was fundraising in Australia.

“Our aim should be to take away the oxygen of the group so they disappear as quickly as they appeared,” he said.

Kotsiras said he would raise VTE with the Consumer Affairs Department: “I’d like the authorities to take a good look at it.”

Golden Dawn announced last month that two of its European MPs, the former army generals Eleftherios Synadinos and Georgios Epitideios, would visit Australia later this year to raise funds and awareness of the group.

The proposed visit, scheduled for November, has been condemned by ethnic community leaders, trade unions and senior members of the Greek community.

Also, more excellent evidence for getting rid of the charity regulator.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Anidav posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot resumes at Brookeside but besides that I feel like I'm all out of cards.

Holland Park Subway has a piece of paper on the front window saying positions available. How do you feel about being a sandwich artist?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Yeah, I agree about the ancestry thing, it's too wishy washy, so I figure the number of "Australians" is somewhere between the number who identify as having ancestry and the number of people born here. Hence my ratio spread.

Cartoon posted:

Getting crime stats you can trust is the next part in your problem. White perpetrators are much more likely to be given the 'benefit of the doubt' by the attending officer than who ever is being profiled by the community.

You are absolutely right, I'm sure the number of unreported cases is far far higher, but you know what, when it comes to making this point, I'm not even concerned because even without all the unreported stuff I'm pretty sure Australians will see through with their violence, stupidity and racism. In fact, I noticed on the Guardian today people are making death threats against the kid who stabbed the cops family. So 9:1 so far. Tomorrow 14:1, Next week THE WORLDU (hi Bifauxnen). I mean 30:1.

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Don't forget the other bias, Australians reporting racially charged violence when there was no violence in the first place.

hooman posted:

Depends on whether you count the all those raids that led to no arrests. I do.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Foundry Dancer posted:

Holland Park Subway has a piece of paper on the front window saying positions available. How do you feel about being a sandwich artist?

It's wearing a sandwich board.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I'm thinking of running for parliament on a platform of killing every Liberal voter in Australia. I expect to do quite well.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-30/dole-wait-will-breach-human-rights-bipartisan-report-finds/5777882

some rancid fuckstain posted:

"Are we better to say to them, 'look there's your dole – go home, eat Cheezels, get on the Xbox,' kiss you goodbye and [say] 'we will never see you again?'" Mr Jones said.

Ewen Jones, MP for Herbert.

The largest city in his electorate is Townsville.
The youth unemployment rate in Townsville is 13.4%.
There are no jobs in the region for young people, and the few that do exist do not pay a living wage.
Overwhelmingly, young people in Townsville are part time or casual employees earning the bare minimum hourly rate, and the vast majority of full time jobs open to young people are trades involving heavy labour, which employers are unwilling to train people for, and with the LNP's defunding of TAFE, and the corresponding increases in fees, qualifications are out of reach of most unemployed youths

He'd have us loving starve.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

i got banned posted:

I'm thinking of running for parliament on a platform of killing every Liberal voter in Australia. I expect to do quite well.

jokes on you mate >50% of people in this country are liberal voters

t
heyre going to vote to kill you instead

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Ah yes but I tell them it's Muslims but the fine print says "Liberal voters". Owned by their own racism.

quote:

Yesterday afternoon, a Melbourne woman - who just so happened to be of Muslim appearance - was viciously bashed by what appears to have been a complete racist scumbag, and subsequently forced off a moving train as it approached a station in the city's north.

According to police, the 26 year-old victim was standing near the doors of an outbound Upfield train as it was approaching Batman station in the northern suburb of Coburg. At that point, another woman has approached her and commenced hurling racial abuse. Shortly thereafter, the attacker grabbed her victim by the hair and neck, and repeatedly forced her head into the wall of the carriage. As the train pulled into the station, she then managed to open the doors before forcing the woman out and onto the platform as the train was pulling to a stop.

Without a word of a lie, that is an actual thing that happened to someone who, by all accounts, was simply minding their own business.

The woman was assisted by two men who came to the victim's aid - police are calling for them, and any other witnesses, to come forward.

Dunno how accurate the article is, it is full of hyperbole and poo poo

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/muslim-woman-bashed-thrown-from-a-moving-train-in-/b5d09d8d-f677-4f33-be3f-168ff6b86d17.htm

i got banned fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hooman posted:

I wonder if these guys will also be swept up by the foreign fighters/support for foreign criminal organisation laws.

Also, more excellent evidence for getting rid of the charity regulator.

So Greek immigrants to Australia are funding a fascist anti-immigration party in Greece? Why can't other minorities hold such core Australian values and integrate as well as the Greeks obviously have?

• Locked thread