Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KidDynamite posted:

So I have a phone interview with Bloomberg for a Software Developer position. They use HackerRank anybody have experience with that? I'm getting ridiculous anxiety for this since I had originally applied for an internship and they just told me to apply for a job instead. So this is for a job after graduation(May 2015) and it's freaking me out.

No experience with HackerRank but I'll say one thing.

It's just a job.

Yes, the act of interviewing is stressful as hell, but try to put it in perspective. What's the worst thing that can happen if something goes wrong? What if you completely bomb every question they ask? You won't get the job. What if you are so shy and quiet that they can't even hear you speak? You won't get the job. What if you go on a 15-minute no-breath rant on the superiority of your race and then poo poo yourself in the interview room? You won't get the job.

Not getting the job is the worst thing that can happen. Even if you really, really want this particular job, don't set yourself up to get crushed if you don't get it because there are a hundred others just like it out there right now. Even if you really, really want to work for this particular company, you have plenty of time to do so even if they don't want you right now. Just work somewhere else and apply again a couple years down the line. It's not a condemnation of your character or identity, or even necessarily your ability, it just means you don't fit with what they want for whatever reason.

Honestly this should be the lowest-pressure job hunt of your life. You're applying for a job that will start 8 months in the future. You don't have the burning, immediate need for income that people later in life with kids and mortgages and loan payments have to deal with. If you don't get this job, you will still have 8 GODDAMN MONTHS to find one before you graduate. Just go in there, answer the questions you can, show them what you can do, and if it's not enough, it just isn't. There are only a berjillion other opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Bloomberg is a retarded organisation, every group has a completely different process for everything, from hiring, to development, to management, and nothing is ever shared with other potentially suitable positions. Good luck.

Earlier this year they had a special hire-a-thon which shrank the bureaucracy to a single day decision, but all of the jobs I saw and have recruiters forward still continue after that event.

Still a bit wary after one of their 'top developers' whilst interviewing did not know a ring buffer was.

And their recruiters are terrible, anyway.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

KidDynamite posted:

So I have a phone interview with Bloomberg for a Software Developer position. They use HackerRank anybody have experience with that? I'm getting ridiculous anxiety for this since I had originally applied for an internship and they just told me to apply for a job instead. So this is for a job after graduation(May 2015) and it's freaking me out.

HackerRank is cool. It's a Programming Challenge website, like many others, with tons of different problem areas (ranging from AI, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Big Data, etc.) in a pretty wide variety of languages. I like it a lot as someone who like doing random programming challenges.

I don't know much about Bloomberg beyond a former co-worker who works there and he seems to like it a lot.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

So the job I'm supposed to hear something back about on Monday is for a Django dev. I have no experience with Django, and it's not on my resume, but they called me about the position (I applied for something else), so I'm assuming that's not much of a problem.

I figured it'd be good to be optimistic and learn the gist of it, so I'm taking an old script of mine and making it into a Django project (basically giving it a web interface). Should I show this to the guy who contacted me before he gets in touch with me on Monday? If so, how do I word it so that it's not creepy or desperate or whatever?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Stop wasting time doing poo poo the interviewer won't really care about and practice making sure that you speak in a slow clear tone during the interview.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

So I have a phone interview with Bloomberg for a Software Developer position. They use HackerRank anybody have experience with that?

The organization I work for uses HackerRank for our phone screens. Personally, I use it just as a collaborative text editor on phone interviews and don't bother with all of their built in problems and compilers (though there is the option to add my own problems, but I've never used it).

But yeah as others have said, don't stress about it. Talk to your interviewer about what you're doing. We're not (supposed to be) here to trick you and try and make you fail.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I just tried HackerRank and good lord that tiny code editor window is unusable.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

yoctoontologist posted:

It seems like there hasn't been much discussion of coding bootcamps in this thread for quite a while, so I'll throw this out there: I just got accepted to App Academy in NYC. I'm having second thoughts about whether it's actually a good idea to take the offer. On the one hand, the amount they get paid is directly tied to the amount I make after graduating, which distinguishes them from most other bootcamps, and it seems like it aligns their incentives with mine. On the other hand, there's no independent source I can look to to confirm their employment/salary figures, and the number of bootcamps out there has exploded in the past year, which makes me worry that the market is being flooded.

I currently have a technical but non-programming-related job that I want to leave for various reasons, and I've learned some Ruby/Rails/JS on my own, but not enough to build anything serious. If it works out the way it's supposed to, I would definitely consider it worthwhile, but I don't want to sink a bunch of time and lost pay on something unproven. Does anyone have any real-world knowledge that sheds any light on this?

I've been intrigued by this ever since you posted it. Have you found an answer to your question?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Telling your recruiter "hey bud, actually work for this one" apparently works. I put in at something over market and still have interest, because people bother to actually negotiate! Call their bluff!

I have a phone screen tomorrow before this job even starts, and another over lunch to be a "bench consultant" as I discussed earlier. Coincidentally, I started applying on my own around the area over the weekend.

At this rate I'll be moving before all the leaves fall :3:

edit: Anyone heard about the channel company? Finally got the email.

Interview today is with another PM type with no dev experience. Putting on the Glengarry Glen Ross act seems to work, even if I'm no Alec Baldwin. Any advice besides speak business to business and tech to tech?

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 29, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

How long would you likely wait before filing an official complaint with the state about missed payroll?

Here's a couple posts in YOSPOS so I don't have to retype it all here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&pagenumber=241&perpage=40#post435252475 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&pagenumber=248&perpage=40#post435359608 . It'll be two weeks to the day today since the last payroll should have gone through, and Wednesday is the date of the next payroll as they are typically on the 15th/last day of the month. I've attempted to do as little work as possible because I don't trust the owner/management, and willfully quitting is clearly not a good option.

I've already started sending out resumes and have spoken with a couple people but the market seems a bit thin right now, partly because I'm confined to needing remote work since I probably won't be living here this time next year. I could probably get in touch with my last company since I'm sure there'd be work, but it's freelance and more of a last option since I just want a salary.

(Additional note that supposedly we're going to know something by tomorrow but I'm considering just putting a formal complaint in today to cover my bases)

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 29, 2014

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Government is slow, so I would do it NOW and then if they fix it go "hey sorry."

Never give an inch over poo poo like this. You worked and they didn't pay you. That's basically like you taking something without paying for it. Yanno, theft?

triple sulk posted:

(Additional note that supposedly we're going to know something by tomorrow but I'm considering just putting a formal complaint in today to cover my bases)

Paper trails are in your favor if this gets to a labor judge.

Also, yeah, I know, organizing labor, hah, so anachronistic, right? Have you discussed any of this with your coworkers?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread, I've been learning to code in my own time for a few years and now want to get a job doing it. I need to redo my resume, but I have no formal software experience and my time in college was for architecture, not CS. I took a look at the sample resumes, and they were helpful, but I think mine needs to be a little different given my background, so I wanted to just check to see what is kosher to put on the ol' slip.

I've built and launched one complete web app. I used the following garbage for this: Django, postgres, ES, Celery, Jquery, nginx/gunicorn. This is probably the most complex/significant thing I've worked on. The source is on my github, and the site is live and operational but not super good looking because I am a poo poo designer.

At work, I have done a little bit of scripting under light advisement from the software team. In short, I wrote scripts to automate physical materials testing using an internal Python API. I wrote scripts to interface w/ a micrometer and thermometer using pyserial to collect data into a mysql db and then make graphs of that data. Finally, I have done work writing scripts to alter json/gcode files to create neat effects while printing.

Finally, I have contributed a tiny change to one of Django's built-in template tags. I noticed that Django's automatic url converter was not converting urls like google.com/foo (e; looks like SA doesn't either ;)) so I fixed up the regex and submitted the patch and some tests. It was accepted and the change will be making its way into Django 1.8 (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/#templates). It's a really small thing, but I figure it at least shows that I'm proactive? Is this worth including in some way on my resume?

e; In case it matters, I'm in NYC and would probably be looking at places looking to hire for web development.
ee; reduced this massive wall of text.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 29, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

triple sulk posted:

willfully quitting is clearly not a good option

How is this such a bad option? Let me run through my logic on this, maybe I'm wrong.

Usually quitting a job before you have the next one locked in is a bad life decision, true. But that's predicated upon the idea that the bad job is still compensating you for your labor even if it's a bad job. In that situation, outright quitting puts the roof over your head in jeopardy.

However, you're in a situation where they are two weeks late (and counting) in paying you for work you did beginning four weeks ago. Not only do they still owe you for work done from September 1-15, they also now also owe you for the two weeks they've been stonewalling you. Based on your comments in YOSPOS it seems they've been using what sound like stalling tactics and trying to keep different parts of the company divided and in the dark.

Quitting the job doesn't relieve them of their obligation to pay you for the work you did. It seems like the only thing you risk by quitting is the possibility of getting unemployment benefits from the state when the company changes the locks on you one morning. Meanwhile by not quitting you're wasting time you could be using to look for a new job where the checks clear.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

How long would you likely wait before filing an official complaint with the state about missed payroll?

Here's a couple posts in YOSPOS so I don't have to retype it all here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&pagenumber=241&perpage=40#post435252475 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&pagenumber=248&perpage=40#post435359608 . It'll be two weeks to the day today since the last payroll should have gone through, and Wednesday is the date of the next payroll as they are typically on the 15th/last day of the month. I've attempted to do as little work as possible because I don't trust the owner/management, and willfully quitting is clearly not a good option.

I've already started sending out resumes and have spoken with a couple people but the market seems a bit thin right now, partly because I'm confined to needing remote work since I probably won't be living here this time next year. I could probably get in touch with my last company since I'm sure there'd be work, but it's freelance and more of a last option since I just want a salary.

I hear that breeding hosed up mutant dogs is a growth industry. If the programming thing doesn't work out, you could always move into a veterinarian's basement and do that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

triple sulk posted:

I'd wait just as long as it takes for me to realize I'm being jerked around and that it's not just an innocent clerical error (hint: two weeks is way, way past that point). Until I have a check in my hand, though, I wouldn't do another goddamn minute of work.

So sick of this industry's workers eating poo poo and asking for more. It just makes it worse for everybody.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Has anyone successfully used AngelList to get a job?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

kitten smoothie posted:

How is this such a bad option? Let me run through my logic on this, maybe I'm wrong.

You can look forward to the conversation at your new job interviews:

:crossarms: Okay, mister, can you explain this Gap On Your Resume? Why'd you leave Company X?

:classiclol: They missed payroll.

:monocle: Oh!

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

The March Hare posted:

Hi thread, I've been learning to code in my own time for a few years and now want to get a job doing it. I need to redo my resume, but I have no formal software experience and my time in college was for architecture, not CS...

Write a good cover letter to make up for the lack of programming in your resume. In your interviews emphasize how you taught yourself programming, built a website from scratch, and contributed to a widely used open source project (with a patch that was accepted). It shows that you know how to get poo poo done, and how to figure out how to get poo poo done. Very few of the people I interview have actually done all those three things.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Bognar posted:

Write a good cover letter to make up for the lack of programming in your resume. In your interviews emphasize how you taught yourself programming, built a website from scratch, and contributed to a widely used open source project (with a patch that was accepted). It shows that you know how to get poo poo done, and how to figure out how to get poo poo done. Very few of the people I interview have actually done all those three things.

I've always wondered how to not seem like a kissass or suckup with a cover letter. I'd rather relate to that over the phone or in person, since body language can convey a lot that text cannot. I've got some compelling background for sure, but I tend to not want to drag it out for fear of it looking like a sob story.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The March Hare posted:

Hi thread, I've been learning to code in my own time for a few years and now want to get a job doing it. I need to redo my resume, but I have no formal software experience and my time in college was for architecture, not CS. I took a look at the sample resumes, and they were helpful, but I think mine needs to be a little different given my background, so I wanted to just check to see what is kosher to put on the ol' slip.

I've built and launched one complete web app. I used the following garbage for this: Django, postgres, ES, Celery, Jquery, nginx/gunicorn. This is probably the most complex/significant thing I've worked on. The source is on my github, and the site is live and operational but not super good looking because I am a poo poo designer.

At work, I have done a little bit of scripting under light advisement from the software team. In short, I wrote scripts to automate physical materials testing using an internal Python API. I wrote scripts to interface w/ a micrometer and thermometer using pyserial to collect data into a mysql db and then make graphs of that data. Finally, I have done work writing scripts to alter json/gcode files to create neat effects while printing.

Finally, I have contributed a tiny change to one of Django's built-in template tags. I noticed that Django's automatic url converter was not converting urls like google.com/foo (e; looks like SA doesn't either ;)) so I fixed up the regex and submitted the patch and some tests. It was accepted and the change will be making its way into Django 1.8 (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/#templates). It's a really small thing, but I figure it at least shows that I'm proactive? Is this worth including in some way on my resume?

e; In case it matters, I'm in NYC and would probably be looking at places looking to hire for web development.
ee; reduced this massive wall of text.

Put the tiny change to Django front and center. Maybe even put "open source contributions" as a header and provide a link and a brief description of the patch.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I hear that breeding hosed up mutant dogs is a growth industry. If the programming thing doesn't work out, you could always move into a veterinarian's basement and do that.
Please leave Sulk alone. I like Sulk.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

triple sulk posted:

Follow the advice in those other threads and call a lawyer immediately. It varies state-to-state but failing to pay employees is pretty serious poo poo and lawyers will talk to you about this for free. I had a payroll glitch once and the lawyer I called would have agreed to payment from winnings because (1) these cases are really easy to prove and (2) Maryland awards damages of 4x your owed wages. (My company quickly paid me what I was owed.)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Bognar posted:

NovemberMike posted:

Put the tiny change to Django front and center. Maybe even put "open source contributions" as a header and provide a link and a brief description of the patch.

Thanks for this guys. Should I send along a cover letter even if I'm being contacted by recruiters/people at the company I would be applying to? I've had a couple of people reach out to me on Angel.co, and my profile there makes it pretty clear that I am self-taught and has links to my github and projects.

Additionally, if anyone can take a minute to offer critique on this first-draft resume I made, I'd really appreciate it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52707/RickRoss.pdf (<patch> link deliberately dead here, normally links to the patch)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

Thanks for this guys. Should I send along a cover letter even if I'm being contacted by recruiters/people at the company I would be applying to? I've had a couple of people reach out to me on Angel.co, and my profile there makes it pretty clear that I am self-taught and has links to my github and projects.

Additionally, if anyone can take a minute to offer critique on this first-draft resume I made, I'd really appreciate it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52707/RickRoss.pdf (<patch> link deliberately dead here, normally links to the patch)

I would personally remove the summary entirely. I feel like you're selling yourself short with 'aspirant' and 'self-taught'. You don't have to justify yourself. You've made some projects and you contributed to a major open-source product, that's a hell of a lot more than the average college grad, so no need to feel like you need a disclaimer.

I would flesh out your project a bit in terms of use cases and user stories. Why did you make it and who uses it and for what? (it's fine if the answer is you to accomplish X).

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

The March Hare posted:

Did you have a job before your previous one, or were you in school? Either put another job on there or put your education info. I don't care that it's not CS, it at least shows that you can stick with something hard for 3-4 years. Especially since it's for architecture and not education or communication... everyone I know who went to college for architecture basically disappeared because of the incredible workload.

Regarding the cover letter, it's probably less important if they're contacting you. But if you're writing a cover letter for other companies, you might as well make the few required changes to tailor it for another.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Do NOT take 8:30 phone screenings unless you're a morning bird. I'm not. Even if I am, I'm not used to misty and rainy every loving day for a week here in "sunny" Florida and being groggy sucks.

Anyway, I did fine, I was sized up as "up and coming" which is what I'd expect for 2 years in. I'd kind of like to be considered "mid level" (whatever that actually means!) but, whatever. That's 3-5 years per every definition I've seen; it's a goal. What MAKES someone really mid level, though? Is there a quiet epiphany or is it just "hey kid, have a raise."? I'm asking because I'd like the next job I take to be one where I move up without having to change jobs.

Edit: I was told it was non technical. It was technical. I didn't even have caffeine yet. I said I had never used a model binder before and I had of course fgsfds.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 30, 2014

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

gently caress them posted:

Do NOT take 8:30 phone screenings unless you're a morning bird. I'm not. Even if I am, I'm not used to misty and rainy every loving day for a week here in "sunny" Florida and being groggy sucks.

Anyway, I did fine, I was sized up as "up and coming" which is what I'd expect for 2 years in. I'd kind of like to be considered "mid level" (whatever that actually means!) but, whatever. That's 3-5 years per every definition I've seen; it's a goal. What MAKES someone really mid level, though? Is there a quiet epiphany or is it just "hey kid, have a raise."? I'm asking because I'd like the next job I take to be one where I move up without having to change jobs.
Those phrases are all kind of meaningless. "Up and coming" may kind of make sense in that it may mean you have some perceived aptitude if not a ton of experience. "Mid level" doesn't mean anything really (at least not anything positive, that's for sure).

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

gently caress them posted:

I'd kind of like to be considered "mid level" (whatever that actually means!) but, whatever. That's 3-5 years per every definition I've seen; it's a goal. What MAKES someone really mid level, though? Is there a quiet epiphany or is it just "hey kid, have a raise."? I'm asking because I'd like the next job I take to be one where I move up without having to change jobs.

It's a bit vague, but I'd view it as the amount of supervision you'd need on a greenfield project. As part of reducing risk, you'd probably need someone to help you design the architecture, and guidance in particular frameworks to use. You probably would need some pointers in picking up new technology or frameworks, and possibly some existing samples to crib from. Beyond that, you'd probably need to check in with someone maybe once a week/fortnight, and be expected to spot pain points before they become a massive issue/blocker, and either suggest workarounds, or know that you need to escalate them.

It's not exactly a "every X years you move to the next level". You need exposure and to be pushed. At bigger companies, it's certainly very easy to never get a chance to design anything, or even work on an N-tier system (you might just be developing Excel add-ins all day*). Looking back, after five years at my first company, I would consider myself to have been a junior/mid level developer, and then I changed jobs to join a team of one other developer for a hedge fund, and got massive exposure to a wider variety of things, and three years later I'm considered in the company to be a senior dev, mostly because I built a large chunk of stuff.

One way of knowing if you're a senior dev at your firm is when people ask for your opinion on stuff.

The three watchwords of improvement are exposure, reflection and humility. And sometimes just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. If you work for one or two years in a job, and there's never an occasion where you think "I don't know if this solution is going to work or not", then you need to start looking for a new job, as you're not doing new work or learning new things, but just applying the same solutions to slightly different problems each time.

*As a former Excel/PowerPoint add-in developer, I have nothing against these, and there's a hell of a lot of nuances to them, but until recently most of them didn't exactly end up talking to external services or middleware or whatnot, so your horizons can often be a bit limited.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
Hello all, I'm potentially more nervous than I was before because I got an offer from my prospective company. The only thing is I do not know how to tell my current company. As a small startup and their first hire (we've hired about 6 more people since then), I feel bad breaking it to them as they were my first job also. In addition, the background check asks for references and since they are basically my only work peers, I worry that leaving might also leave me in bad taste. They're all good people I just was looking for an opportunity to grow more.

In addition I worry that they'll be frustrated that I was secretly interviewing

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Manic Mongoose posted:

Hello all, I'm potentially more nervous than I was before because I got an offer from my prospective company. The only thing is I do not know how to tell my current company. As a small startup and their first hire (we've hired about 6 more people since then), I feel bad breaking it to them as they were my first job also. In addition, the background check asks for references and since they are basically my only work peers, I worry that leaving might also leave me in bad taste. They're all good people I just was looking for an opportunity to grow more.

Tell them that, you don't owe them anything dude.

Manic Mongoose posted:

If they're upset that you're trying to advance your career you don't want to work with them anyways man. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

Manic Mongoose posted:

I just went through a very similar situation (was interviewing for other offers without them knowing, accepting an offer when I know the company is expecting me to be around and was counting on my contributions) and my advice is to just rip the band aid off. It was tough telling colleagues and friends that I will be moving on, and it was definitely a bit awkward telling my manager and having to decline the counter offer, but I felt 100x better after I just got it over with as soon as I could.

Thankfully we are in an industry where there is a decent amount of regular turnover and even though you were their first hire I think people are generally expected to move on at some point. These conversations are never fun to have but I am sure they're not going to go as badly as you're fearing.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

sarehu posted:

:crossarms: Okay, mister, can you explain this Gap On Your Resume? Why'd you leave Company X?

Not being paid is a legitimate reason to leave, yes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

sarehu posted:

So do all interviewers wear monocles under their glasses or...

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
Okay, so I'm looking at internships for my two-year degree, and while my desired position doesn't explicitly require it, they are very clear that they look at students from four-year schools. The company is having an event where they offer 10 minute interviews with hiring managers, which means probably no really technical questions, so is there anything outside of the standard traditional interview questions I should be watching for? I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who is a current software engineer there, which I figure will be helpful. Anything I'm not thinking of aside from having copies of resume and all the other first post advice?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Manic Mongoose posted:

Get over it. Seriously, I'm not being an rear end in a top hat; your feelings are natural but irrelevant, so you need to put them aside.

You are either working with adults or schoolchildren. If they are adults they will be sad that you're leaving but otherwise wish you well - this is not the 1950's anymore; people change companies and they will understand. If they are schoolchildren, they will probably be personally hurt and/or angry, which is good to know because you don't want to work with or for schoolchildren. Either way, your life is what's important here.

This is a job. You provide a company with services and they provide you with money and an environment where your skills can grow. That's the deal. You aren't married, they aren't your family, you have no other obligations or commitments to them.

To answer your question: just tell them. Be professional and to the point; don't be apologetic, just tell them that you're leaving on X date and thank them for the opportunities. Don't make a big production out of it.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 30, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

viewtyjoe posted:

Okay, so I'm looking at internships for my two-year degree, and while my desired position doesn't explicitly require it, they are very clear that they look at students from four-year schools. The company is having an event where they offer 10 minute interviews with hiring managers, which means probably no really technical questions, so is there anything outside of the standard traditional interview questions I should be watching for? I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who is a current software engineer there, which I figure will be helpful. Anything I'm not thinking of aside from having copies of resume and all the other first post advice?

I can't imagine that a 10 minute interview would cover more than extremely basic technical competency and "culture fit." In other words, show up a bit early, clean, groomed and well-dressed. Be able to have a conversation and meet people's eyes and shake hands like a normal human being. They're going to be trying to get a general impression of who you are and if you would be someone that would fit well with their existing group or if you would instead create friction.

Beyond that, try and think of something you can talk about if they say something like, "Tell us about something you programmed/worked on that was interesting to you." Some project that was fun or where you solved some tough problem. If it was something that you worked on as part of a group, so much the better (just don't badmouth any of your group's members).

Also maybe think about an answer to the, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" question. Something general, like maybe what platforms you want to work on or what sector you want to work in (like if you're interested in mobile, or if you want to make programs for the health care industry). It doesn't commit you to anything, and it doesn't even have to be right, it just has to show them that you've been thinking about your future and that you want this as a career because you're interested in it, not just because it's good money.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Also maybe think about an answer to the, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" question. Something general, like maybe what platforms you want to work on or what sector you want to work in (like if you're interested in mobile, or if you want to make programs for the health care industry). It doesn't commit you to anything, and it doesn't even have to be right, it just has to show them that you've been thinking about your future and that you want this as a career because you're interested in it, not just because it's good money.

Also, intern interviewees, don't try to answer this specifically. Be general, like Che advises.

We had an intern candidate come in yesterday who had the "too eager" syndrome. When we asked him that question, he spouted, without hesitation, "oh working full time here, no doubt"

You're not earning brownie points (at least with me) by saying that. Hell, I don't even know if I'll be here 5 years, kid, let alone you.

YMMV with other interviewers (I'm still new being on this side of the chair)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

aBagorn posted:

Also, intern interviewees, don't try to answer this specifically. Be general, like Che advises.

We had an intern candidate come in yesterday who had the "too eager" syndrome. When we asked him that question, he spouted, without hesitation, "oh working full time here, no doubt"

You're not earning brownie points (at least with me) by saying that. Hell, I don't even know if I'll be here 5 years, kid, let alone you.

YMMV with other interviewers (I'm still new being on this side of the chair)

I don't think that's fair. It depends on the company. If you're Microsoft, or even IBM (i.e. someone with namebrand recognition), I think it's totally fair that a Junior in College would be excited to work at your company full-time. Your job is to give them an internship and then present them with the crushing reality of your company. :p

If you're some no-name company that makes software to help track medical bills, then yeah I guess that would seem like a brown-nosing answer but it definitely depends on context. When I was 9 years old, I knew what I wanted to do was grow up and go work for Microsoft (and marry Bill Gates' daughter) and I brought that up at my MS interviews in an 'aw shucks' kind of way.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Robert Half called me good and early, 18h after a skype interview, to say "hey man sorry, we lost your old test results - take them again please? Also my branch manager is open to bringing you up and a relo. We could reimburse or do it as a signing bonus, just help me sweeten the deal." I already gave some good references.

I detect a little bit of eagerness, especially given that a coworker of the person who called me just now is waiting on feedback from other initial phone screens, and they're idiots if they don't know I'm firing off my own applications, and have been.

How do I keep not loving this up?

:q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I have an offer to go to a local startup (no vc they have been profit generating since day one) in Oklahoma City and lead their iOS development effort (using Xamarin) for apps used by more 500k users around the world. A chance at equity in the start up, and international travel, and a 15k raise.

Everything looks ok so far. My problem is I just started at my current company 5 months ago and my friend got them to open a spot to get me the job. Current company is a big enterprise with budgets and huge projects that might never see the light of day. But I keep thinking my friend needed help and he reached out to me last April.

I wasn't even interviewing for this new job. They just knew me through reputation and needed a dev.

I am leaning towards taking the startup job. Is that a bad thought?

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 1, 2014