Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Looks like at least some of the ending stuff is bugged: I made a truce between the Rail Nomads yet apparently the game thought that I slaughtered the Topekans. You also don't hear poo poo from any of your NPC squad members in California (you do hear what happens if you take them with you to Ranger HQ) but you do hear community news for the areas. Woodson and the rest of your crew I guess are just chillaxing? I never heard anything that said they were dead. Finding out what happened to Angie Deth may be cut content I guess.

i think for the most part theres no reason to use more than 3 followers because they dont scale and there arent any follower quests or other interesting things so having a slide for scotchmo when i never used him doesnt seem too important?

im kinda depressed about the ending. if you dont volunteer, every single named ranger except woodson and mercaptain die. they dont even die putting up a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Well, just finished the game.

I have to say, it's an excellent successor to the original. Frustrating mechanics/interface, bewildering character creation that gives you little context for how much you'll need of what things, quests and areas with features that seem only partially implemented... and I loved it! Just like the original.

I had a lot of fun with it and really liked the characters and things to see in it. I hope it gets some more polish and maybe some additional content at some point.

Yeah it's going to sound dumb but I really wanted a complex isometric rpg and this game really paid off.

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a

precision posted:

Pro bug tip: never click on "sell all junk" if the vendor "only deals in medical items" because it will hard lock your game.

I did that twice and both times I just needed to press OK for each junk item I had in my inventory.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Professor Moriarty posted:

That being said, I'm not as optimistic about Torment: Tides of Numera now :smith:

:agreed: I'm really glad I only spent $15 on this, and I can't believe how dumb it was to give them another $20 before I found out how they did with the first thing I paid for.

Hopefully the Obsidian one is more Divinity: Original Sin levels of functioning and less Wasteland 2.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The game really isn't that mal functioning, two cities at the end have some bugged content but nothing really impossible to deal with. The game is so full of content and the writing is so much better than the majority of RPGs that I can overlook a few technical problems a week from release.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kurtofan posted:

The game really isn't that mal functioning, two cities at the end have some bugged content but nothing really impossible to deal with. The game is so full of content and the writing is so much better than the majority of RPGs that I can overlook a few technical problems a week from release.

For me, it's less the broken and half-broken stuff and more the antiquated gameplay/UI/quality of life stuff. The gameplay is very easy, but playing the game is difficult, because of rear end backwards design.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

The game's combat surely could have used a much more deliberate method of approaching and transitioning into combat for sure. It feels pretty haphazard and awkward trying to get your guys into good positions/cover, when you can even see or know that something is cover since you can't really tell before combat. The current system is pretty inferior to the current XCOM's standard.

I've been playing the last few days through the game again on Supreme Jerk and thats been my number one problem. Janky combat openings. Sometimes I get things nice and setup and my guys shift around due to the grid, sometimes I get railroaded into a bad opening start with everyone clustered up with the enemy tossing 'nades in my face.

Considering how much content of the game IS combat I feel this would be the biggest gameplay improvement that isn't bug/content fixing.

This. I've been replaying on supreme jerk as well and getting good pre-combat positioning is a horrible trial and error affair. Positions that look like cover outside of combat are actually just scenery, or in fact there's actually not even a square to stand on, so let's just dump your shotgunner in front of your sniper. Even just getting your guys in a line perpendicular to the enemy is a hassle without knowing where the squares are, because if you didn't stagger them just right suddenly Rose is in front of my AR, and because everyone is crouched repositioning is going to cost a fortune in AP.

I really wouldn't recommend supreme jerk to anyone. It feels like a lazy and unbalanced difficulty increase that's more likely to get you frustrated with the whole combat system rather than be challenged by it. There's just not enough stuff to do tactically to consistently beat encounters on supreme jerk through skill, so getting through any of the more difficult encounters feels like reloading till you get a lucky streak. Making the player do less damage isn't that bad mechanically; it makes you use more bullets and makes fights last longer so enemies will also get more chances to hit you, and perhaps invite some repositioning. But getting one-shot by enemies does very little to make the game more fun tactically. Ranger difficulty feels a lot better and I might argue it actually allows for tactically greater depth because it doesn't have as much outlier moments and failure is far more gradual.

Also, in ranger difficulty you're a god of war after getting a bullpup and M16 on 10 AP characters, and wading through your enemies is enough fun to make you forgive and forget the somewhat janky combat. And all that said, I really, really like this game. Just not so much on supreme jerk and I should probably just stop subjecting myself to that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i flipped to supreme jerk around the end (going back down for the last fight in cali) and i didnt notice majorly different damage values from ranger. maybe switching difficulties is flawed

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

i flipped to supreme jerk around the end (going back down for the last fight in cali) and i didnt notice majorly different damage values from ranger. maybe switching difficulties is flawed

Either that, or I'm guessing difficulty matters a ton more at the start than it does at the end. I thought ranger difficulty was pretty tough first time I did Highpool but by the time I got to the Canyon even three Slicer Dicers were doable with a bit of explosives. Supreme jerk is probably ok once my dudes have the health and armor to survive a few shots, but before I get there it's a bit frustrating. Doing Ag Center instead of Highpool didn't make the early combat any easier either.

One way to test whether switching difficulties actually works is to use explosives. Even with full armor penetration they should all only do half damage (edit: on supreme jerk, that is), so a Mangler that says 100 only does 50 even if you hit something with less than 5 armor.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 30, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

thats weird. rpgs were doing 375 on ranger instead of 500, but grenades were still doing full damage

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Just tested a stick of TNT, a pipe bomb and a real grenade on some guys in Ranger Citadel on supreme jerk difficulty, and they all did half damage.

On that note, apparently when Angie throws a grenade at a non-squad Ralphy in the Citadel, she just goes 'nuh uh, I didn't really do that he didn't explode' and she deals no damage. On the other hand, when my dudes throws a pipe bomb and a grenade at Ralphy, although my squad gets kinda upset for harming a civilian, after killing Ralphy Ranger Citadel seems to be cool with it and I exit combat. :downs:

Edit: Just tested the same explosives on other difficulties and everything seems to work correctly. At least pipe bombs, grenades and Manglers do either 100% damage on Seasoned, 75% damage on Ranger, and 50% damage on supreme jerk. I think those damage reductions are general for all weapons throughout those difficulties.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 30, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

While I love the game, there are bugs I can't overlook. For example, on some maps (like the Prison) the combat pathfinding seems to be broken which causes enemies to run from the edge of your vision area all the way next to your squad in a single turn. There's no way those enemies have that amount of action points.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
At least they don't usually fire at that point. Yeesh.

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a

Verviticus posted:

I have only mostly played on supreme jerk so I don't have too much experience on the lower ones. But one thing that seems to be happen is nearby enemies join the fights on supreme jerk and don't on lower ones. 2 subsequent fights on ranger were just one fight on supreme jerk in two of the infected places for example. Or maybe the enemies just were closer to each other and they do normally do that on easier difficulties too, I can't say for sure.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
The combat really does let this game down, in the early game it's just frustrating, and in the late game it's just tedious.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I might have to put the game up until the second half is polished a bit. I did things (apparrently) out of sequence in Rodia: I shot my way in because gently caress you those are my bullets. I freed the Mayor right away and fought some Lt. guy that I felt like I should know who he is but I have no clue. He died to my Gamma Ray Blaster in one burst. The Mayor said to meet him at his office. Before i did that, I repaired the Radio Tower using my skills, attached the repeater and explored the town a bit. I got into the bank and looted the poo poo out of it. By the time I got to the mayor he was talking to me as if he knew me and I had tasks I needed to complete. He told me I'd resolved his town's issues (which I'm still not sure what issues they're having) and sent me to Angel Oracle to open trade.

I feel like it's a little too easy to sequence break and the dialog doesn't really account for it in the second half. I really, really enjoyed the Arizona portion and despite the quirks of combat, it felt really polished. The second half doesn't yet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arnold of Soissons posted:

:agreed: I'm really glad I only spent $15 on this, and I can't believe how dumb it was to give them another $20 before I found out how they did with the first thing I paid for.

Hopefully the Obsidian one is more Divinity: Original Sin levels of functioning and less Wasteland 2.

Ah it's only $20. Hopefully they keep up support for the game and they iron out the worst of the bugs in the next few weeks\months. If they get mod tools out too and people get to gently caress about with an already pretty decent base game this could definitely turn into a complete classic.

Im about 20-30 hours in now and just reached Titan Valley. Before that I nearly cooked to death finding it and instead headed south and found the abandoned train yard. It was crawling with robots which were tough but beatable and then these crazy deathbots which tore me to shreds!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Is there a way to make the game not always be on top in Windows? I frequently alt-tab between game, browser and chat windows, but Wasteland 2 insists on staying on top and forces me to minimize the game. I want those two seconds back, dammit. :argh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Levantine posted:

I feel like it's a little too easy to sequence break and the dialog doesn't really account for it in the second half. I really, really enjoyed the Arizona portion and despite the quirks of combat, it felt really polished. The second half doesn't yet.

When the game tries the open world 'choices' thing it's sad to watch how quickly it falls apart.
If you don't do late Hollywood - the Bastion in exactly the right order you gonna walk around for an hour until you stumble into the correct teleported NPC/cutscene to get the quests forward. Or they break and linger in the quest log, drat penitents.

Please make a diagram of Hollywood->Griffith with strings and cards or something :unsmith: Crossed strings are bad.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Im about 20-30 hours in now and just reached Titan Valley. Before that I nearly cooked to death finding it and instead headed south and found the abandoned train yard. It was crawling with robots which were tough but beatable and then these crazy deathbots which tore me to shreds!

This part was great because I only saw one at first, looked at his stats, and thought "holy poo poo this guy looks serious, but I'll give it a shot." He nearly kills my tough melee dude on his first turn with a shocking, unprecedented amount of damage but I'm still thinking that I can probably take him out. Then two more jump in out of nowhere. Then I kill the first robot and he explodes, knocking out a ranger and straight up killing my already unconscious one. gently caress.

Never did find out what they were guarding.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vargs posted:

Hahahaha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Last night I had a dream that my gf was taking up almost the entire bed and kicking me...I asked her to stop and move over and then "GF HAS GONE ROGUE" flashed across my vision in red and she shouted "NO!"

....Yeah...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vargs posted:

This part was great because I only saw one at first, looked at his stats, and thought "holy poo poo this guy looks serious, but I'll give it a shot." He nearly kills my tough melee dude on his first turn with a shocking, unprecedented amount of damage but I'm still thinking that I can probably take him out. Then two more jump in out of nowhere. Then I kill the first robot and he explodes, knocking out a ranger and straight up killing my already unconscious one. gently caress.

First one I saw took out The Provost in one hit, so I got everyone to whip out tnt and bazookas because we were gonna die. And then we did.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This game owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo. Y'a missed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish my ranger would sometimes insult the npcs that constantly rag on my misses and jams.

"You should not fight. It is not your calling."

Vulture's Cry missed by a mile.

"I'm sorry. You were saying?"

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Lotish posted:

I wish my ranger would sometimes insult the npcs that constantly rag on my misses and jams.

Holy poo poo as soon as my party could survive without her they gunned down that horrible whats her name. Don't make fun of my bc your rng loving sucks and your AI is poo poo

wtf is that

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lotish posted:

Vulture's Cry makes me wish I'd saved AG Centre. She really doesn't contribute anything positive, aside from hot lead.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
One thing I want to know is who keeps feeding grenades to all the giant mutant toads? I've looted at least 5 of them from those bastards so far.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Probably someone mistook them for a hungry dodongo?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Playsyles differ, but I use her as a minesweeper.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Question for people who have finished the game: How far along am I? I just got to Griffith park and need to figure out how to handle Matthias and his lunatics.

Also, Takayuki is the best follower. His running commentary is awesome.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
How many followers can you have?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

How many followers can you have?

Three in your party at a time.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

xamphear posted:

Question for people who have finished the game: How far along am I? I just got to Griffith park and need to figure out how to handle Matthias and his lunatics.

Pretty far. Only one more big area after Griffith Park/Bastion, but Griffith Park has a long quest chain involving Hollywood.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of followers, bringing Brother Thomas to Hollywood and especially Bastion of Faith gets you a lot of neat flavor dialogue.

xamphear posted:

Try to do the Hollywood stuff before Griffith Park, as this part can get pretty buggy otherwise.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

xamphear posted:

That's a funny way to spell Scotchmo.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

poo poo. Y'a missed.

That's one of the reasons I love Scotchmo. Most of the other companions are just dicks when you miss. For Scotchmo, it's a drinking game. If you hit, he takes a shot, if you miss, he takes a shot. He's fine either way, would'a been nice if ya hit too, but no pressure.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Honestly, my preference for NPCs would be either:

A.) Make ONE pc and get joined by a bunch of full-fledged Obsidian style NPCs with deep dialogue trees, backgrounds, and even some unique sub-quests.

B.) Total control over making ALL my guys, Icewind Dale style.

The weird hybrid W2 and Divinity have done where you can make some of your guys, and then you get joined by awkwardly skilled out NPCs who don't do much beyond belch some occasional flavor text doesn't really do it for me.

Still, makes me wonder once I'm done with my 7 custom rangers run about :

Lone Ranger Run

1.) Make 4 rangers.
2.) Sell the gear of rangers 2-3.
3.) Hopefully(?) have enough cash to buy the lovely radiation suit. Otherwise you and Angela might need to farm some random encounters.
4.) Save edit rangers 2-3 into non-existence.
5.) Recruit Angela.
6.) Ignore Vargas and the radio tower (does this sequence break? did they account for it?) and go right to Rail Nomads to recruit Ralphy and Scotchmo before going to the radio tower.
7.) Hopefully the game lets you keep recruiting NPCs to fill the empty slots your rangers would have had, so you have 1 ranger and 6 NPCs. If not you could probably just save-edit them into your party when appropriate.
8.) Focus on Leadership skill and pray. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fintilgin posted:

Honestly, my preference for NPCs would be either:

A.) Make ONE pc and get joined by a bunch of full-fledged Obsidian style NPCs with deep dialogue trees, backgrounds, and even some unique sub-quests.

B.) Total control over making ALL my guys, Icewind Dale style.

The weird hybrid W2 and Divinity have done where you can make some of your guys, and then you get joined by awkwardly skilled out NPCs who don't do much beyond belch some occasional flavor text doesn't really do it for me.

Yes, I agree. Divinity: Original Sin does have a broad selection of un-voiced pre-mades who you can hire at your level to augment the two story line characters, which makes it less of an issue.

In Wasteland2 I'd much rather be able to hire some quiet non-story line replaceable NPCs to level up and round out the body count.

• Locked thread