Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

68k posted:

I would rather play console, but the tiles version map is hard to pass up because I can get a quick view of the overall layout of the current floor. Is there anything like this in the console version?

You can be a jerk like me who plays hugeterm. I see the whole map on my big monitor and move around in it. Try setting your terminal to be really big and putting this in your rcfile. You may have to mess with font sizes and stuff.
code:
view_max_width   = 81
view_max_height  = 71
It's really weird getting used to having a small viewport when I play tiles at work or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

68k posted:

I would rather play console, but the tiles version map is hard to pass up because I can get a quick view of the overall layout of the current floor. Is there anything like this in the console version?

You can make your console window bigger. Probably the biggest advantage of tiles is seeing what weapons enemies have at a glance, though console has a few features unique to it as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

quote:

3558004 cheetah7071 the Axe Maniac (level 26, 228/253 HPs)
Began as a Deep Dwarf Berserker on Sept 29, 2014.
Was a Believer of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 5 runes on Sept 30, 2014!

The game lasted 05:08:16 (59043 turns).

Literal first time playing a Deep Dwarf, they seem pretty broken. I do want an extended win someday but Deep Dwarves response to torment seemed to be rolling over and dying so I decided to stick to just 5.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr. Despair posted:

FR: remove stones of tremors
still want earth elementals to throw large rocks <:mad:>

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

nrook posted:

Incidentally, when I was new I definitely remember being seriously confused by the food system, and I was an ex-nethack player.

It might be worth having two paragraphs about how food works in the description of chunks. But then, new players are probably less likely to look at item descriptions.

What exactly do you want explained about food? The design justification for the food system (such as it is) seems like something that belongs more in the manual...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

What exactly do you want explained about food? The design justification for the food system (such as it is) seems like something that belongs more in the manual...

I'd just like if it didn't say "Gross, raw meat" when you eat raw meat, since my natural thought process from that is "Raw meat bad, find way cook meat". Which, you can understand is confusing, since there's no solution to this problem.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So fighting causes noise, right? How does this work with bows? Does shooting a bow cause noise at your location, or at the targeted location?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

So fighting causes noise, right? How does this work with bows? Does shooting a bow cause noise at your location, or at the targeted location?
I can't find anything on this. Except, from ranged_attack.cc:
code:
 141     // TODO: adjust_noise

861 void ranged_attack::adjust_noise()
 862 {
 863 }
:laugh:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Based on the apparently lack of relevant code, I would guess it's like melee and generates sound where you are.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Arrhythmia posted:

I'd just like if it didn't say "Gross, raw meat" when you eat raw meat, since my natural thought process from that is "Raw meat bad, find way cook meat". Which, you can understand is confusing, since there's no solution to this problem.
This. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first started playing crawl, the message made me think something bad would happen if I kept eating chunks instead of permafood. Didn't help that this was back when some corpses made you sick, too. I didn't really get why you wouldn't play a spriggan :v:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Also what is Maud exactly. Her tile kind of looks like a kobold, but I don't think I've ever seen her drop a corpse.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Also what is Maud exactly. Her tile kind of looks like a kobold, but I don't think I've ever seen her drop a corpse.

code:
{
    MONS_MAUD, '@', RED, "Maud",
    M_UNIQUE | M_FIGHTER | M_WARM_BLOOD | M_SPEAKS,
    MR_NO_FLAGS,
    550, 15, MONS_HUMAN, MONS_HUMAN, MH_NATURAL, -5,
    { {AT_HIT, AF_PLAIN, 32}, AT_NO_ATK, AT_NO_ATK, AT_NO_ATK },
    { 13, 0, 0, 118 },
    0, 10, MST_NO_SPELLS, CE_CLEAN, Z_NOZOMBIE, S_SHOUT,
    I_NORMAL, HT_LAND, FL_NONE, 10, DEFAULT_ENERGY,
    MONUSE_WEAPONS_ARMOUR, MONEAT_NOTHING, SIZE_MEDIUM, MON_SHAPE_HUMANOID
},
So human.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first started playing crawl, the message made me think something bad would happen if I kept eating chunks instead of permafood. Didn't help that this was back when some corpses made you sick, too. I didn't really get why you wouldn't play a spriggan :v:

I suspect that the removal of nauseating chunks helped with this, actually (if *no* chunks make you sick, that's less opportunity for confusion about which do), but it's a fair point nonetheless. The point of those messages is to remind you about how much nutrition you're getting from chunks (based on your position along the carnivore-herbivore spectrum), but now that random diet muts are gone, I'm not sure how often you really need a reminder...

Read posted:

So human.

also, she's a nethack reference

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"This ___ flesh isn't very filling" would probably be more clear as a standard message for getting across that it isn't recovering much nutrition than
"This ___ flesh tastes terrible", something tasting bad does not make it fill you up less

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about "You can't stomach much of this ___ flesh"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tollymain posted:

What about "You can't stomach much of this ___ flesh"

That's even worse. I would definitely believe that eating large numbers of chunks would have negative consequences if that was the message.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mr. Despair posted:

FR: remove stones of tremors

No don't, make them attempt to shaft everything immediately nearby (generating extreme noise in the process) as a last-ditch panic measure instead.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FR: High level evoking of a disc of storms can summon electric golems (friendliness optional).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Throw stone of tremors?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
high level stone of tremors activation can create friendly disc-of-storms golems which throw each other(but only at earth elementals)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Could the stone of tremors do anything like leda's liquification along with the earth elementals and damage thing?

It'd be kinda thematic to have the fan of gales and stone of tremors do opposite things - fan blasts enemies away, stone prevents them from getting closer. Disc of storms just, y'know, is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It'd be cool but I'm worried that adding something that makes the player move slower could make it even more unpopular(although flying is a way around that).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Why not give the Stone of Tremors a targeted effect that has to be aimed at a wall, and drags nearby non-flying enemies towards it as well as its other effects? It'd give it a unique niche, and a sudden rockslide is a pretty thematic way for that particular item to work.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

PleasingFungus posted:

I suspect that the removal of nauseating chunks helped with this, actually (if *no* chunks make you sick, that's less opportunity for confusion about which do), but it's a fair point nonetheless. The point of those messages is to remind you about how much nutrition you're getting from chunks (based on your position along the carnivore-herbivore spectrum), but now that random diet muts are gone, I'm not sure how often you really need a reminder...

also, she's a nethack reference

Corpse chunks is the very reason I ended up in this thread in the first place.

"Surely there's some sort of cooking option," I thought to myself right before checking the manual then google.

Since there's apparently a mechanic to punish the player for waiting around too long already, having the chunks deteriorate at the rate they do now but making (time intensive and noisy) cooking an option to make those chunks into permafood or at least last significantly longer would be cool. You'd still have to cook from relatively fresh corpses and be ready for interruptions. Probably more detailed and fiddly than the currently more streamlined system demands at this point though. Hell, I hear their used to be different kinds of fruit!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

Corpse chunks is the very reason I ended up in this thread in the first place.

"Surely there's some sort of cooking option," I thought to myself right before checking the manual then google.

Since there's apparently a mechanic to punish the player for waiting around too long already, having the chunks deteriorate at the rate they do now but making (time intensive and noisy) cooking an option to make those chunks into permafood or at least last significantly longer would be cool. You'd still have to cook from relatively fresh corpses and be ready for interruptions. Probably more detailed and fiddly than the currently more streamlined system demands at this point though. Hell, I hear their used to be different kinds of fruit!

If they devs wanted you to have more permafood, they could just change the game to drop more permafood, no need to complicate it by making it related to chunks. (Personally I'm hoping chunks go away completely.)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Then they can remove permafood and make everybody happy!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kaschei posted:

please don't reveal my true goals before the world is ready for them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kaschei posted:

Just as long as they don't remove hunger.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

Just as long as they don't remove hunger.

Buff to mummies, denied :colbert:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Since there's apparently a mechanic to punish the player for waiting around too long already.

This is twice I've seen people mention this, do you mean OOD spawns? Those are not really a concern unless you spend inordinate amounts of time on each level.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
^^^Don't forget the apocalypse if you wait way too long.

All species should really just get the c button turned into the 'e' button like vampires have, instead of chopping off chunks, you rend the flesh directly from the corpse with your teeth because you're loving crazy; you can't get past satiated unless you're some level of gourmand but you can eat every corpse if you want, that way you don't have to deal with chunks and rotting - which are annoying mechanics, but may I remind all you whinypants at least we still don't have to carry "some kind of sharp weapon" and switch to it whenever we want to eat like the old days. Then, it might be nice to have hunger given a sort of heads up presentation so you can manage it better.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Then, it might be nice to have hunger given a sort of heads up presentation so you can manage it better.

what

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Like a pie chart. Every time you move or attack an animation plays where your character eats a slice of the pie. This in-your-face user interface will make sure that people concentrate on the important strategic focus of crawl's gameplay (hunger management) instead of being distracted by monsters and stuff.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Crawl is an eating simulator, so UI elements to enhance that are key. Monsters and magic are to keep the player busy between bouts of gulping down the still warm flesh of sentient beings.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Not necessarily a third bar, but maybe an extra space on the % screen where hunger is represented in more detail than just hungry or full, maybe just a number from 1 to 1000. Maybe that bit's a bit too micro-managey, but it's just where my mind went after thinking "you can eat monster flesh at any time, but they won't push you past satiated" because that could be a bit mean.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

^^^Don't forget the apocalypse if you wait way too long.

Is that actually a thing in the game's code? I thought that was a joke.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Speaking of food, how are you typically supposed to handle the food situation when under Zin?
That "You may not eat sentient flesh" really burns, especially in the late game.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Poulpe posted:

Speaking of food, how are you typically supposed to handle the food situation when under Zin?
That "You may not eat sentient flesh" really burns, especially in the late game.
If you're not a caster, troll, or berserker you can basically just eat permafood and survive, you may have to raid a food shop or two.

If you are casting I guess value spellcasting slightly more? Last time I tried a caster I ended the game with dozens of rations anyway (by overvaluing Spellcasting for the ogre mage title but still)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In my experience it's not anywhere near as rough as it feels like, like most food restrictions. Especially in late/postgame, since by that point I'll often be running mainly on permafood even without Zin.

Floodkiller posted:

Buff to mummies, denied :colbert:
Wouldn't that be a nerf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Poulpe posted:

I'm a huge dweeb and don't eat sentient flesh anyways even though I usually play Vehumet casters, and I find it doesn't make things much more challenging. You just have to make use of the permafood more is all.

I just really want to believe my dude's a good guy, even though he worships the 'splosions god... I even avoid killing slaves and Circe's pigs and everything! :(

I was thinking of trying to play a deep dwarf fighter. How do you go about prioritizing skills in the early game?

• Locked thread