Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
They look pretty far along actually:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149883

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149906

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/certification/ccnp/9780133149890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
IPV6 question.

I understand it for the most part except for one issue, and that's assigning subnet addresses. For the last 16 bits, it looks like you can pretty much assign a number and be done with it and then that's the subnet. I know this is probably wrong, but every example I see seems to make it like that.

Example:
0000 = Subnet 0
0001 = Subnet 1
0002 = Subnet 2
etc...

I don't have to follow a range or anything depending on what bits are used? Say for example the global prefix is a /56 which then leaves 8 bits for subnetting. Could I still just assign it as 00, 01, 02? Or does it have to follow a specific range? Like 00, 08, 16? Kinda like how it used to be block sizes in IPV4.

Sorry if my question isn't clear. Everything else I get.

As far as the CCNA goes (specifically 100-101), how in depth are the IPV6 questions? Are they going to require me to subnet an IPV6 network?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
No, you won't have to subnet an IPv6 network. You need to know why IPv6 is better and a few things about how it works.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Frag Viper posted:

IPV6 question.

I understand it for the most part except for one issue, and that's assigning subnet addresses. For the last 16 bits, it looks like you can pretty much assign a number and be done with it and then that's the subnet. I know this is probably wrong, but every example I see seems to make it like that.

Example:
0000 = Subnet 0
0001 = Subnet 1
0002 = Subnet 2
etc...

I don't have to follow a range or anything depending on what bits are used? Say for example the global prefix is a /56 which then leaves 8 bits for subnetting. Could I still just assign it as 00, 01, 02? Or does it have to follow a specific range? Like 00, 08, 16? Kinda like how it used to be block sizes in IPV4.

Sorry if my question isn't clear. Everything else I get.

As far as the CCNA goes (specifically 100-101), how in depth are the IPV6 questions? Are they going to require me to subnet an IPV6 network?

I took ICND1 a few months ago, I don't think there was a single IPv6 question on it. That being said, it's still worth studying just because it will likely be important in the future.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Heads up, new changes for MCSA in Server AND SQL 2012.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...-available.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

incoherent posted:

Heads up, new changes for MCSA in Server AND SQL 2012.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...-available.aspx

If I'm reading this right, you could get both certs with four tests instead of six.

Can I get some feedback from people who have gone down the SQL road, how useful would this be to someone who wants to focus on Sysadmin stuff and Virtualization? I know that databases are required for some of the VMware stuff but I'm not sure how much synergy is really there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welp, passed my 74-325 on the second try.

It's an incredibly worthless test and the only reason I took it is due to since I'm employed with a Microsoft Partner. Aside from the questions just being poor everything on the test is woefully out-of-date.

If you work with office 365 forget everything you know and only study from the "official" Office 74-325 Small Business Jumpstart. I'd suggest skimming the godawful videos and memorizing everything from the actual slides. The name of title is hilariously misleading, expect to be asked questions about FOPE,DLP,ADFS,etc

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Booked the 73-685 (Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician) for two weeks on Thursday. :toot:

Going to guess I know the answer to this already, but there's no point in going for the 70-689 to upgrade that to Windows 8, is there?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Did anyone happen to catch this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2h8nbu/microsoft_certified_exams_can_now_be_taken_online/

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This post assumes Reddit is a valid source for something I've not heard anywhere else.

What in the gently caress? I look forward to having a few test dumps up on my laptop while knocking out 7 or 8 certs this evening, how is this a good idea?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This post assumes Reddit is a valid source for something I've not heard anywhere else.

What in the gently caress? I look forward to having a few test dumps up on my laptop while knocking out 7 or 8 certs this evening, how is this a good idea?

I think they are trying to cut out the testing centers for profits sake. I didn't read it fully though.

There are already proctored online exams that colleges use to cut out the testing centers that are pretty legit. Cheating them is already hard enough to keep them respectable.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Official Announcement:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-22pearsonpr.aspx

Some of the posts by the OP give some details on how they are planning to combat cheating. Proctored via webcam, having to scan your test area with camera, disconnecting/powering off other monitors, etc. He makes a good that at some point the effort need to cheat the system is more than actually learning the material to pass.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's real.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-22pearsonpr.aspx

quote:

Delivered through a process called “online proctoring,” select exams can be delivered through the cloud and taken by test candidates from their home, office or any other location that meets security requirements. This new capability makes testing accessible to candidates who do not live or work within easy travel distance of a testing center while protecting the integrity of the certification process. Candidates will be supervised in real time by Pearson VUE proctors using webcams, microphones and other security protocols.

Those who certify via online proctoring will need to meet security arrangements, including a clean, private room or office, with a desk space clearly visible via webcam. They must also complete security-related admission steps, such as an ID check, with a greeter before testing can begin. In addition, the proctor is trained to notice telltale signs of cheating and will require the candidate to do a visual sweep of the test-taking environment with the webcam.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ozu posted:

It's real.

The trick will be to have enough disgusting anime wall scrolls to put the proctor off.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I took online exams through WGU and there were a decent amount of safeguards to protect against cheating. Had to use a webcam that showed your face/hands/keyboard at all times, they'd sometimes ask to pan around the room to see if you had anything suspicious and once I had a test stopped to check my ceiling because the day I took a test I had a headache and kept looking up to rub my eyes/try to clear my head out. I don't think they'd do this without serious consideration of how to stop most blatant attempts at cheating. Then again, I never tried and purposely cleared anything off my desk/shelves that could be construed as a cheat sheet, a guide or outside help.

As long as they aren't cutting corners and hiring random people from third world countries to proctor tests, I don't think cheating will really be such a rampant problem. Might be better than the guy who didn't confiscate my phone before a test and just told me to turn it off. :v:

Stanos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The trick will be to have enough disgusting anime wall scrolls to put the proctor off.

What about my anime scrolls in my office ;_; ?

If the tests are cheaper, I'll go out and buy a webcam to bang them out while sipping coffee.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is pretty awesome. I hate having to drop everything and then go to a testing center during their business hours to take exams. As a bonus, it will force me to clean up my home office (at some point in the future).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who the hell do you work for that can't schedule you a time to take a test during business hours? Or is in such a remote location that they can't get to a testing center?

If anything, Microsoft's certifications need to be significantly changed as opposed to essentially worthless multiple choice question and more virtual labs.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Tab8715 posted:

Who the hell do you work for that can't schedule you a time to take a test during business hours? Or is in such a remote location that they can't get to a testing center?

If anything, Microsoft's certifications need to be significantly changed as opposed to essentially worthless multiple choice question and more virtual labs.

Taking New Zealand as literally the first country that came into my head, all the testing centres are on the northern island save one, in Christchurch. If you live in Dunedin, the second-largest city on the southern island, it's a 5 hour trip by car and an hour's flight (Costing ~£150) to get there.

Not every country has testing centres every 5 minutes like the US might.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 24, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Bummer. I have a testing center about 5 minutes down the road from work.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can I get some feedback from people who have gone down the SQL road, how useful would this be to someone who wants to focus on Sysadmin stuff and Virtualization? I know that databases are required for some of the VMware stuff but I'm not sure how much synergy is really there.

Not super useful, it's stuff you'll likely forget if you don't use it on a regular basis or aren't doing more complex SQL setups (HA, etc)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It depends what type of test it is. Microsoft tests I have to drive ~45 minutes to get to a testing center while CompTIA had a testing center in my podunk town of 8,000 because it's the county seat and has GED/cert program stuff to help people out of work from the recession. CompTIA yeah I'll just drive 5 minutes into town because that's no big deal but for Microsoft it's super convenient to not have to battle traffic and lovely drivers so I can take a test.

Then again I hate driving so maybe it's not so bad for other people. It's a nice option no matter what.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Since Microsoft exams are now proctored by Pearson Vue, wouldn't you be able to take them at the CompTIA centre now? But yes, this is a nice option.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Stanly wait list goons- check your email, my coworker just got his enrollment notice for the next term

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
For reasons I don't fully remember I did the SANS GIAC GPPA.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

inignot posted:

For reasons I don't fully remember I did the SANS GIAC GPPA.

Passed? If so congratulations. I'm all about taking SANS courses. How'd you like it?

Fun fact if you google GPPA (I couldn't remember which GIAC cert that was for) it comes up as "Perimeter Protection Anal..."

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
GPPA turned out to have a lot of overlap with the GCIH and GCIA material.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Should I worry about getting the new Lammle CCNA book or just knuckle down and finish this 7th edition?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretty sure that edition is for the old, discontinued exams. So yes you will need the new book.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I'm trying to knock out both Sec+ and Net+ in the next few months for WGU, and I started with Sec+, however before checking the OP I ordered the book that WGU is using which is this one. Should I just say screw it and grab Darril Gibson's book instead? I'm like five chapters into the Emmett Dulaney one and it seems okay but based on everyone saying Darril's is super awesome I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Also would it be worth it do Net+ first and come back to Sec+? I've got a pretty rudimentary knowledge of networking from the job I did in the Navy but I'm not sure how much networking knowledge I should have for the Sec+ and the Dulaney book keeps reminding me that CompTIA assumes you have networking knowledge.

Also, and this might be a little unrelated, does anyone have any experience with CompTIA's CTT+ cert? I'm giving it a shot next week because the Navy is paying for it and a couple other instructor's who took it said it's fairly common sense teaching theory.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess

PneumonicBook posted:

So I'm trying to knock out both Sec+ and Net+ in the next few months for WGU, and I started with Sec+, however before checking the OP I ordered the book that WGU is using which is this one. Should I just say screw it and grab Darril Gibson's book instead? I'm like five chapters into the Emmett Dulaney one and it seems okay but based on everyone saying Darril's is super awesome I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Also would it be worth it do Net+ first and come back to Sec+? I've got a pretty rudimentary knowledge of networking from the job I did in the Navy but I'm not sure how much networking knowledge I should have for the Sec+ and the Dulaney book keeps reminding me that CompTIA assumes you have networking knowledge.

Also, and this might be a little unrelated, does anyone have any experience with CompTIA's CTT+ cert? I'm giving it a shot next week because the Navy is paying for it and a couple other instructor's who took it said it's fairly common sense teaching theory.

I've complete my sec+ a few months ago and if you need both certs I would go with the networking+ first as the sec+ expects you to have the knowledge. However if things like subnetting memorizing common ports and firewall rules sounds easy then you can safely skip net+. As for the books I've heard good things about both so you should be fine.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

wrong way posted:

I've complete my sec+ a few months ago and if you need both certs I would go with the networking+ first as the sec+ expects you to have the knowledge. However if things like subnetting memorizing common ports and firewall rules sounds easy then you can safely skip net+. As for the books I've heard good things about both so you should be fine.

Sounds like I might switch gears. I'll be done with the Sec+ book by tomorrow so I'll take some practice tests and see how I feel about it.

How's the Michael Meyers book for Net+?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Blah. Just had a nasty experience taking ICND2 this morning/afternoon. I get to the testing center early, go in, two computers crash while trying to bring up the exam. So, I have to wait in the lobby for about an hour and a half. Then I fail the exam with a 788/825. >:/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its time to renew that CCNA folks. Which should I choose?

SP Operations
Voice
Wireless

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Im going Data Center myself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sickening posted:

Its time to renew that CCNA folks. Which should I choose?

SP Operations
Voice
Wireless

If all you're after is renewing the CCNA R+S, Security is easy and also counts as a DOD-approved cert.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If all you're after is renewing the CCNA R+S, Security is easy and also counts as a DOD-approved cert.

I have it already.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

high six posted:

Blah. Just had a nasty experience taking ICND2 this morning/afternoon. I get to the testing center early, go in, two computers crash while trying to bring up the exam. So, I have to wait in the lobby for about an hour and a half. Then I fail the exam with a 788/825. >:/

Don't lose hope. Work on your weaknesses and re schedule for next Tuesday.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

Don't lose hope. Work on your weaknesses and re schedule for next Tuesday.

Thanks. It had a whole lot more EIGRP on it than I was expecting, and a few questions about FHRPs and SNMP that I was not expecting. Maybe I can get Pearson to give me back my money because of the huge wait and their technical problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

high six posted:

Thanks. It had a whole lot more EIGRP on it than I was expecting, and a few questions about FHRPs and SNMP that I was not expecting. Maybe I can get Pearson to give me back my money because of the huge wait and their technical problems.

You can try but the process is sometimes a pain (by what I hear)

See if you can find the CBT nugget on FHRPs, it can really help to distinguish between HSRP/VRRP/GBLP