Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

http://smile.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA/

These are good cutters, I use them sans knife but really don't clean sprue cuts up much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like there are resin parts for turning a SEED HG into the Nyaia Gundam:

http://www.e2046.com/product/21663

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BlitzBlast posted:

It's really not nearly as hard as you think. Get some cutters, a knife, sand paper, and a gundam marker and go to town. You can pick up a full assortment of paints and plastic cement later, none of the kits you got really need them that much.

madpanda posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA/

These are good cutters, I use them sans knife but really don't clean sprue cuts up much.

Thanks!

hmm I think my cutters are ok, i'll probably need to get x-actos and sandpaper and/or files

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pyronic posted:

Thanks!

hmm I think my cutters are ok, i'll probably need to get x-actos and sandpaper and/or files

You can find good sanding paper fairly cheap at auto supply stores including very high grit stuff for polishing. Some plastic cement can be really useful for repairs and hiding seam lines, though modern bandai kits have very few of those. Also try wet sanding, you just need to dip your sandpaper in some water, sand normally and once you're done wipe the area with a soft cloth. With this I've managed to make almost every nub mark on my kits completely invisible down to the sanded area having the same shine as the unsanded area.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Suzaku posted:

Looks like Gentei Kits has the Tallgeese III up for preorder. The yen is at a favorable exchange rate, which makes the price a whole lot cheaper than GG Infinite. Apparently Bandai is also doing a Tallgeese II reissue to hit at around the same time the TG3 launches if anyone still wants that one. Oh, and GK has a 10% off code running right now for any orders with in-stock items. So if someone still needs a Psycho Shard....

Fffuckkk I want that Tallgeese III so badly. Huuuuuuuhhhh

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You can find good sanding paper fairly cheap at auto supply stores including very high grit stuff for polishing. Some plastic cement can be really useful for repairs and hiding seam lines, though modern bandai kits have very few of those. Also try wet sanding, you just need to dip your sandpaper in some water, sand normally and once you're done wipe the area with a soft cloth. With this I've managed to make almost every nub mark on my kits completely invisible down to the sanded area having the same shine as the unsanded area.

I'd also add that sanding sticks are your friend and make sanding easier, but don't bother spending money on premade ones. You can make them yourself with sandpaper, popsicle sticks, and super glue. You can get bags of popsicle sticks for super cheap at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Additionally, if you accidentally take a small chunk out of a kit and make a divot or something, you can shave off some plastic from a sprue of he same color, mix the plastic shavings with plastic welding cement, and fill the divot with the resulting paste. That will let you fill things with a minimum of color contrast. If you ever move on to total painting/airbrushing that's more or less moot, but until then it can be really useful to correct issues without having to mess around with color matching or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well this is interesting. The Build Burning Gundam seems to have hinged wrists on some of the hands. I'd be curious to see how well those hold up and don't just flop under their own weight.

(Third image down, under "Action Gimmick")

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Burning Gundam ain't my cup of meat, but god drat if that is not one sharply executed model. All HGs should look so good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Been throwing together my spare MG Unicorns this week, and it turns out

removing the attachment for the FA Unicorn's stupid boosters frees up the backpack to do some hilarious stuff.

I think I actually like this kit now.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 1, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

my spare MG Unicorns

I want you to read these four words every morning and think about your life choices.

(That actuallly looks pretty cool).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What, no Phenex?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was tempted, but

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm starting to think I will never get the Phenex's WG2 runner without straight up ordering a MG Phenex.

And not even I want to go that far for FA Plan B. :negative:

EDIT: You know what, I could probably just make something close with the BF Gunpla Battle Arms thing. I think I'll do that and save... what, $130?

If it helps, that's my second FA Unicorn.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm super curious; why the Unicorn(s)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I was tempted, but

If it helps, that's my second FA Unicorn.

You should get the PG when it comes out and complete your descent into madness. Arrange the MG's around it like they're worshiping their glowing Perfect God.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

This is probably the best use of a Unicorn I've seen. Feels like it's channeling a Guncannon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm super curious; why the Unicorn(s)?

FA Unicorn Plan B requires, at bare minimum, MG Banshee, MG Banshee Norn, MG FA Unicorn, and MG Phenex.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

FA Unicorn Plan B requires, at bare minimum, MG Banshee, MG Banshee Norn, MG FA Unicorn, and MG Phenex.

You could've just not bought Four kits to make one model just saying.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think that's how this hobby works. :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd mock Blitz for it too, but I don't think I'm allowed to as five of my HG's are clutching weapons from four System Weapon packs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zwingley posted:

I don't think that's how this hobby works. :shepspends:

It is if you have at least a semblance of self control.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Now that's just crazy talk.

It turns out the shoulders get in the way of the bazookas, so I probably won't be doing this pose very often. I'll just have it beam saber dueling the Norn or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Those hands could be holding beam rifles. :colbert:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What grit do you guys use on your sandpapers

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

400 for wearing down nubs, 800 as an in-between, then 1200 to polish.

Though when I'm lazy I skip the 800.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I got the MG Unicorn OVA ver and the Robot Damashii Destroy Mode and those are the only Unicorns I will ever get. I would prefer a green psychoframe, but I didn't want to pay for the Full Armor nor do I really want that gigantic clusterfuck on my shelf. Sure, I could always paint the psychoframe green, but then it wouldn't be clear anymore. I think it's possible to order runners off HLJ, but it's probably not worth the cost to buy just the green psychoframe off the full armor.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

signalnoise posted:

What grit do you guys use on your sandpapers

400 for removing material and 1600 for the polish afterwards, I wet the sandpaper for both.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

400, then I prime, covers up the scratches. (only do this if you plan on painting the kit)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaius Marius posted:

It is if you have at least a semblance of self control.

Neo Zeong.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got up at 5:45 in the morning in order to do some painting before work so I can (hopefully) get the nu done before Saturday.

Something is very wrong with my life.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A month of break completely hosed up my sleeping schedule, to the point I started waking up at 2 AM.

I eventually decided "gently caress it, I'll just go work on kits until 6".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For as bad as those are, it's not 'wake up at 9:30 PM to get some work in before my first job'.

Also, I may or may not have decided what I'm gonna do with the last of my unbuilt Unicorns. Depends on if I want to shell out for a 'grow your own crystal' set or not. :downs:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've panel lined while on conference calls. Could probably work on a SD if It was really one of those I just need to barely be there for.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
Just a head up, for those of you who love Zaku's like me, the Shin Matsunaga MG 2.0 is 38.98 with prime on amazon right now. That's about 20 dollars cheaper then I've ever seen it before so...go get 'em.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What would be a cool MG to have chillin' with that 1/20 Scopedog Bandai put out?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

how much does gentei kits usually charge for EMS shipping on MGs? That tallgeese looks tempting and I want to weigh my options.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Literally The Worst posted:

What would be a cool MG to have chillin' with that 1/20 Scopedog Bandai put out?

A slightly different Bandai 1/20 Scopedog. That's what I did.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mecha Gojira posted:

A slightly different Bandai 1/20 Scopedog. That's what I did.

You're not helping, Goji. Be more helpful. Uznare was more helpful than you, that's how unhelpful you are.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Chewbacca posted:

Just a head up, for those of you who love Zaku's like me, the Shin Matsunaga MG 2.0 is 38.98 with prime on amazon right now. That's about 20 dollars cheaper then I've ever seen it before so...go get 'em.

How difficult is this as far as mg's go? The amount of runners doesn't r put me off but those decals yikes... I don't think its possible for me to get the shoulder stripes straight in any lifetime. And if im seeing this right those are waterslides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
If it's anything like the standard Zaku 2.0 I'm currently working on, the most difficult part will be those goddamn tubes. I actually broke a fingernail trying to slide some of the rings onto the flexible rubber bit...

• Locked thread