Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Tyma posted:

I got really into Game Dev Story and GP Story, but I've really soured on the city-building aspects of all the recent games.

Having just picked up an Android tablet, are any of the old Android exclusives worth playing, from the perspective of someone who never wants to place another isometric building in his lifetime?

I don't like the grid management games either (except for Dungeon Village, which was awesome.) I really liked Pocket League Story, but there is a small training facilities management aspect to it. As far as capturing the feel of Game Dev Story, I would actually recommend two non-Kairosoft games: Fiz and A Story of a Band. I think you could end up spending a lot of time on those if you like the beer brewing or rock band aesthetic. I've heard from the Android games thread that Magazine Mogul, which just came yesterday, feels a lot like GDS, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The idea of magazine management doesn't really appeal to me. Mostly it just makes me wish they would port over the manga game, ワクワク!まんが道場 (it'll never happen of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tyma posted:

I got really into Game Dev Story and GP Story, but I've really soured on the city-building aspects of all the recent games.

Having just picked up an Android tablet, are any of the old Android exclusives worth playing, from the perspective of someone who never wants to place another isometric building in his lifetime?

The soccer game is awesome. (the 2nd one that "recently" came out). Pretty sure there are some facilities you can upgrade but you have only 4 building slots its mostly a building being used as a passive. The main focus is on building your team and kicking rear end.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Randallteal posted:

I've heard from the Android games thread that Magazine Mogul, which just came yesterday, feels a lot like GDS, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I think that was one of the quickest purchase decisions I've ever made. Thanks!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bought Magazine Mogul when I saw the previous post. It reminds me of game dev story a lot. Hire a staff, train them, choose what sort of magazine to make, and make it. There are more details involved than in game dev story though, like picking your audience and choosing advertisers. It looks like a solid kairosoft title to me

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the tips. Finished my first playthrough of Pocket Harvest and really enjoyed it. Just need to figure out a good way of generating lightbulbs. Might have to go back to PL Story 2 and try to finish out a playthrough....

Some of the tours give a lot of research points if everyone is happy at the end. And you can pick up a bunch by completing the missions for the deli/fruit stand/etc. Though I need to get more to get more tools for the workers.

How many bio-engineering buildings do people build? Is it worth surrounding them with lots of different crops or just work on one specific crop? Also debating about creating one section of the farm that's just for tourism and jamming all of the items there.

The space they give you seems enormous given the adjacency bonuses that can rack up. I buy new land just to move the new item into my compact farm, maybe this is a bad idea.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Jet Jaguar posted:

How many bio-engineering buildings do people build? Is it worth surrounding them with lots of different crops or just work on one specific crop? Also debating about creating one section of the farm that's just for tourism and jamming all of the items there.

The space they give you seems enormous given the adjacency bonuses that can rack up. I buy new land just to move the new item into my compact farm, maybe this is a bad idea.

I generally only have one or two buildings surrounded by one or two different sorts of crops. I found that the thing that's going to cost you the most is the specialties for your facilities but once they're unlocked, they are still unlocked if you start a new game. Once they're all unlocked, the only thing you're using those points for are making items so you can just focus on tweaking a crop to spit out a whole lot of points for specific items. Like I planted just potatoes and tweaked them to get lots of starch and taste (I think it's taste) so I could make loads of soda to improve my workers' stats.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jet Jaguar posted:

How many bio-engineering buildings do people build? Is it worth surrounding them with lots of different crops or just work on one specific crop?

Using items on plants upgrades their traits. If a trait hits 2.5 (the maximum), it will never decrease. This means that you can eventually max out every trait on a crop at 2.5. Combine that with fast growing crops with large quantities (cherry tomatoes are really really really good at this), and you have a research point generating machine. I think I had three bio engineering building plot areas surrounded by cherry tomatoes at one point.

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry.
Pocket Harvest is out on iOS now.

deom
Aug 16, 2009
It also made it to the Amazon app store, for anyone looking to burn Amazon coins.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The amazon store got Kairobotica and Magazine Story recently.

I don't know if it is still going on, but all of The Kairosoft games were on sale last night for half off, on the Amazon Fire store.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I bought Magazine Story for my Nexus 7, but it just crashes on launch.

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Kairobotica is up for iOS now.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I've only played on iOS until recently. I got a super cheap refurb Android tablet and I'm loving Magazine Mogul. Haven't quite made #1 in sales yet but I'm close!

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Not sure if people find it helpful or not to keep bumping this thread, but Magazine Mogul is on sale on Google Play for $1.20 right now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.magazine_en&hl=en

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

FoxMcCloud posted:

Not sure if people find it helpful or not to keep bumping this thread, but Magazine Mogul is on sale on Google Play for $1.20 right now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.magazine_en&hl=en
This is definitely helpful, thanks

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

The Pyraplex is now out on iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-pyraplex/id919429622?mt=8

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I really llike Pyraplex so far, although I had never played Megamall. I understand it's basically a remake of it but with pyramids, right? So far, everything's going well, but I have just one question in regards to the "Selling Stones" request: do we have a finite amount of it? Or is there another way to get it once you've gone through your wall?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

StarMinstrel posted:

I really llike Pyraplex so far, although I had never played Megamall. I understand it's basically a remake of it but with pyramids, right? So far, everything's going well, but I have just one question in regards to the "Selling Stones" request: do we have a finite amount of it? Or is there another way to get it once you've gone through your wall?

The last two sections of wall are infinite, so chop to your heart's content.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the last few iOS Kairo releases - Pyraplex and Kairobotica and World Cruise... they all felt too damned easy. Maybe I'm getting too used to the formula, but it felt with the earlier ones that if you weren't abusing the gently caress out of synergies and being as efficient as possible, you had no chance of hitting the end game in your first run through. I still haven't figured out how to beat the real bad guy in Ninja Village, and winning the Kairo course in Grand Prix without inheriting a car still feels like a real achievement. Pyraplex? I 5-starred my pyramid in year 10 and haven't found more than 15 Power Points.

Not that this will stop me from buying whatever they do next as soon as it's out.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Eschers Basement posted:

I still haven't figured out how to beat the real bad guy in Ninja Village, and winning the Kairo course in Grand Prix without inheriting a car still feels like a real achievement.
Both the end boss in Ninja Village and the last course in GP took an incredible amount of grinding for me. Took so long to build up your forces for the last battle in NV since it's such a jump from the rest of the game, and same with GP - that last race requires such a top shelf, upgraded, part-filled car that trying to beat either of these games by the clear time is certainly beyond me.

The carry-over car in a new game+ in GP I don't think is all that helpful anyway - if you try to take a higher class car, your low-skill techs can't make a build out of it that's any good for such a long time to come.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

The carry-over car in a new game+ in GP I don't think is all that helpful anyway - if you try to take a higher class car, your low-skill techs can't make a build out of it that's any good for such a long time to come.

I strongly disagree. My car of choice is a Super Car, which has stats around the 400s if upgraded properly (can't be bothered to check right now). With four middling mechanics (i.e. as soon as I upgrade to the next tier) I can get stats in the 200s despite all of the swearing and smoking. That's much better than anything else at that point in the game.

As for Ninja Village, throw your army at the training ground every time it becomes available. Either you win and make some money/score some loot, or you lose and your army gets upgraded for free. Also, once you gain the ability to rearrange your village, optimize it for efficiency. Only people with high work scores should be producing stuff, the paths between each step of production should be as short as you can get them, etc. I'll try to take a minute and screencap my village later.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kairosoft just put up a game called Anime Studio in the Play store in Japanese: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.animestudio_ja&hl=en

The produced a popular anime, Grow a hero character.
It is the management of SLG animation studio.
Hero character of the original birth if you choose the design of the face and body!
It is allowed to appear in the works "department you want to lover" and "Favorite Anime Ranking" "Chibi~tsu
Aim the popular character entering higher in the sector, such as popular "in the crotch.
The studio "data room", "motion capture" and such as "home theater"
I can set up a tenant. Let's build a monumental work of anime industry by training staff.
To oversee the anime masterpiece of tomorrow Kimi holds the mobile be novice.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Looks like the same thing as the magazine game.

Probably a pass on that one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goetta posted:

Kairosoft just put up a game called Anime Studio in the Play store in Japanese: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.animestudio_ja&hl=en

Hero character of the original birth if you choose the design of the face and body!
It is allowed to appear in the works "department you want to lover" and "Favorite Anime Ranking" "Chibi~tsu
Aim the popular character entering higher in the sector, such as popular "in the crotch.
I can set up a tenant. Let's build a monumental work of anime industry by training staff.

Can I make Goku my hero?

I'm going to assume if I can't read Japanese this isn't going to be fully playable (its a kairosoft it would be pretty easy to fumble your way through most menus regardless). I'll wait for a translation and give Kairosoft more of my money because I'm hopelessly addicted to their game style. I can never really get into replaying them after I put one down but I will get absolutely consumed by one even if its basically the same game with a new skin.

Is it more like game dev or magazine? Game dev was better than magazine even though they were the same style, so hoping for something a bit more towards that (Game dev is actually the only one I've been able to replay).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the general rule has been a translation to English after a few weeks, then a port to iOS after a few months.

It does look like another clone of Game Dev/Magazine Mogul like the guy above said. I think those types are all pretty similar gameplay wise.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goetta posted:

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeesh, that makes 3 games that are out on Android, in Japanese, then.

The pirate game, that came out in August.
The Social Media Game developer game, that came out last week.
And This Anime Studio game, that came out now.

I really hope they release some translated ones soon.

e: The Anime studio one is the only one of those that isn't Free + IAP, by the looks of it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

There's a bakery one that's been out in Japanese on the Play store at least since May, too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Telex posted:

Looks like the same thing as the magazine game.

Probably a pass on that one.

I still love how in game dev story if you kept making the same kind of games over and over it'd actively start making you lose fans, yet Kairosoft's entire existence is based upon making the same kind of game over and over, with a few extra mechanics in some (Dungeon Village Story).

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I'm playing Pocket League Story 2, and seem to have hit a wall against FC Spain.. Is there a best formation I can use?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh god finally an update just came out for Game Dev story to fix the text ratio problems. I know what I'll be doing on the bus in the coming days. I thought for sure that game wouldn't see any more updates.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Four or five Kairosoft games on my phone got "Fixes minor issues" updates in the last few days. I'm guessing they all got the same treatment?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Grundulum posted:

Four or five Kairosoft games on my phone got "Fixes minor issues" updates in the last few days. I'm guessing they all got the same treatment?

It was what the update was saying for Game Dev, so probably yes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
New game out: Biz Builder Delux

Anyone try it yet?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

New game out: Biz Builder Delux

Anyone try it yet?

It's like a combination between their last business sim with A weird upper layer of a city management thing in order to grow your customer base. It's weirdly complicated for a kairosoft game. It's also endless, with yearly saves for you to ng+ off of.

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Keeping with the trend of bumping the thread about once a month, Magazine Mogul is finally out on iOS.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So there was never a remake/sequel of Game Dev Story with more stuff and proper iOS aspect ratio?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

FoxMcCloud posted:

Keeping with the trend of bumping the thread about once a month, Magazine Mogul is finally out on iOS.

Blarg, $5. Didn't their stuff used to always be $2.99? Oh well maybe it'll be on sale in a year.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
My impression of Magazine Mogul is that it's a slightly touched-up reskin of Game Dev Story. I haven't played either; which would I be better off getting if I'm only going to do one in the next year or so?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Magazine is a much better version of game dev story, I bit the bullet and grabbed it because I'm a fool for these games. Magazine has things like target audiences based on advertising affecting sales (though not quite as deep as it sounds) and more things to do/that are required to upgrade things, as well as a three part category system rather than a two part one. For example, Game Dev would have 'Ninja' and 'Action' where Magazine has 'Town Center' 'Student' 'Festival'. It's just a better game IMO, though they share the same basic flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anime Studio Story is out. So far it's VERY similar to Game Dev but with all the bells and whistles of newer Kairosoft games.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.animestudio_en

• Locked thread