Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

1gnoirents posted:

There is no way a hairdryer is going to damage your video card.

I sneezed next to the box my video card came in and now it has a cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

1gnoirents posted:

There is no way a hairdryer is going to damage your video card.

Look man my hairdryer puts out at least 150c

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

KakerMix posted:

Look man my hairdryer puts out at least 150c

Big difference between a heat gun and a hair dryer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol, yeah lets not confuse a 850*C heat gun for a hairdryer

edit: side note open to tips for overclocking my hairdryer

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I meant it as a joke but on the other hand who would have thought that a sticker could be so destructive.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Senjuro posted:

I meant it as a joke but on the other hand who would have thought that a sticker could be so destructive.

I had the Superclocked sticker on my GTX460 come off the fan and get sucked in to the heatsink. It didn't damage anything, but it made a lot of noise.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kinda regretting not getting the Asus now...

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I bought the blue MSI and it had no sticker. Score 1 for the little guy.

The card runs like a dream and did not go above 75 after 4+ hours of Bioshock.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

EVGA has famously easy-to-remove stickers, just letting you guys know, they really use some primo sheets of plastic with a light adhesive let me tell you

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anything that spins has potential to be fragile if it moves in a direction that it isn't meant to go in. It's just a matter of how fragile, and obviously these were too fragile or shouldn't have had stickers on them that basically guarantees it will be pulled on in the exact opposite way they are meant to move.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Without any prior knowledge of the problem and no prompting from anyone I just peeled the drat sticker off carefully in the first place. Little common sense here maybe? Sure the glue is a bit much and they maybe should have thought of that but who is hamfistedly tearing that poo poo off in the first place?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GreatGreen posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but with stubborn stickers like that, I've always found that using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive for a little while before and then during the peeling-off process really helps.

I don't own a hairdryer. Would the microwave be a good alternative? :v:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

AirRaid posted:

Without any prior knowledge of the problem and no prompting from anyone I just peeled the drat sticker off carefully in the first place. Little common sense here maybe? Sure the glue is a bit much and they maybe should have thought of that but who is hamfistedly tearing that poo poo off in the first place?

I was careful, I remember being worried about it. Little quick to judge here maybe?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Deuce posted:

I don't own a hairdryer. Would the microwave be a good alternative? :v:

Not joking, an oven would work just as well.

But I'm not going actually suggest that

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

AirRaid posted:

probably doesn't matter even if you're careful. It still requires quite a bit of force to get it off, and just that can be enough to misalign them. They're people who yanked it off without problems, and people who carefully peeled it with.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

Lol, yeah lets not confuse a 850*C heat gun for a hairdryer

edit: side note open to tips for overclocking my hairdryer

Seriously, modern BGA components are attached to boards using ovens and hot air guns that heat the whole thing up enough to melt the solder balls between the chips and the board and the lead-free solder in use now needs temperatures upwards of 220 degrees C to melt. You aren't going to do anything by blowing a hair dryer onto a video card.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Wasn't there an old intel cpu or something, maybe a motherboard where people put it in the oven to fix some fault?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Wasn't there an old intel cpu or something, maybe a motherboard where people put it in the oven to fix some fault?

The xbox 360

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Original PS3's too

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
8800GT's.

Also a ton of other videocards.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah but with modern game engines you don't need prebaked light maps any more really :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

eggyolk posted:

How long did it take for the 760 to arrive after the 770 and 780 were released? It seems like a 960 would be the perfect companion for a budget 1080P mITX computer based around the Pentium G3258. I'm hoping to upgrade to one around the release of GTAV.

It took a month.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Holy cow, got the Asus 970 in and my computer is almost silent now at the desktop. Replacing that 580 was a good idea...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What is up with the goofy rear end zotac card

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don Lapre posted:

Johnny Five is Alive!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Panty Saluter posted:

That's a good read. Seems like DSR is a pretty decent option if you're on a "low-res" display.

I just tried DSR set to 1.5x in Borderlands 2. I have a 2560x1440 monitor and all the other settings are at max. I get good frame rates and it looks amazingly smooth. The picture quality is something else.

SikorskyOvich
Oct 2, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah, what's the deal with that extra width part? Maybe it's meant to promote airflow somehow? Seems very dubious to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The bigger question concerning the Zotac is 'why is it smaller than all other cards,' and 'why does it have 8+8 power connectors?'

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Don Lapre posted:

don't mess with the zotac

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The bigger question concerning the Zotac is 'why is it smaller than all other cards,' and 'why does it have 8+8 power connectors?'

It's actually probably a three-slot beast*, and having 375 W available means either it'll never be lack of power keeping you from maximum overclocks, or that it won't be thermal cable failure that damages your system (unless your power supply is a total POS), or both.

*Yeah it takes up only your typical 2 ATX expansion brackets, but good luck fitting anything in the third slot.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MSI 980 Gaming hits 1600MHz core and 2200MHz memory clock in Ocaholics bench, on the stock BIOS voltages and air cooling

The most mind blowing thing about this to me is the 2200 memory, that's what, 8.8GHz effective up from 7?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

So me worrying I might break it by adding a couple hundred mhz is probably just paranoia then.

I dunno why I'm so worried about this crap now, I used to OC all the things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Never underestimate the stupidity of people, especially geeks.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Heh I know. I just struggle to comprehend the mentality that goes "I just spent nearly £300 on this thing. RIP AND TEAR! :byodood: "

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
"I'm not having any issues, clearly there is no problem."

Never mind that there many more factors at work than just the force used to remove the sticker.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BurritoJustice posted:

MSI 980 Gaming hits 1600MHz core and 2200MHz memory clock in Ocaholics bench, on the stock BIOS voltages and air cooling

The most mind blowing thing about this to me is the 2200 memory, that's what, 8.8GHz effective up from 7?

God drat, that's sorta nuts.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Haha nice, that's the highest I've ever seen. I've gotten to 8.2 8.3 on hynix ram before, but MSI always dicked me on that (max 7.5 or so on my msi examples, usually lower)

8.8? :laffo:

edit: yeah im getting a 980... sorry Dollar per Performance God but I want something solidly better than what I had

if i dont get ebola anyways

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Got my brother a new 750ti and the PC shuts down when launching a game and won't power up unless you pull the CMOS battery. Works fine otherwise and the 6770 he had previously doesn't do this, so the PSU is probably alright. Anything else I should check besides flashing the motherboard?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Could it be a power issue? Does his PSU supply enough juice to the system now that there's a 780ti in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

GreatGreen posted:

Could it be a power issue? Does his PSU supply enough juice to the system now that there's a 780ti in there?

A 750ti consumes very little power.