Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So, was the third part of Beauty And The Beast Cocteau Review posted?

Like a dweeb, I ragged on how exaggerated the qualms by Tony were a bit too much, but then the third part was matched by Kyle and that built to a point.

I'll still poop on the shrubbery that is the "OH NO TWILIGHT" ordeal and the "Remembering a point about the movie, followed by forgetting about said point a few minutes in" thing that happened a few times. This isn't as much as a damning as more as me flicking a spot of dust or two from said review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Kunster posted:

e "Remembering a point about the movie, followed by forgetting about said point a few minutes in" thing that happened a few times.

After watching part 3, I now think this was deliberate, especially when logical order seems to really break down near the end. This editing is probably meant to mirror the surreality of Cocteau's film, ideas coming and going without necessarily connecting to one another in a sensible sequence.

Or at least that's how I see it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baby! :kimchi:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So I just made the mistake of watching some MovieBob stuff because I was curious to see what he thought of Other M for some reason and Youtube recommended it to me. Turns out, everyone in the west is racist and doesn't understand Japanese culture and there's absolutely nothing wrong with how Samus was depicted in that game. :suicide:

Edit: And he seems to have a pathological hatred of FPS games even worse than Jack Thompson. What the gently caress.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 2, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

Edit: And he seems to have a pathological hatred of FPS games even worse than Jack Thompson. What the gently caress.

Unintelligent jock games! :argh:

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
I'm pretty sure that the Other M video he did was years ago and he has since changed his outlook on most of the things he said in that video.

I honestly enjoy listening to Moviebob talk about obscure cartoons and summarize comic book plots but the vast majority of those Game Overthinker videos are incredibly awful and if you look at anything he's made outside of the last couple of years you risk hearing some of the most aggressively insufferable shitspew of blind nostalgia and dumb opinions.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As someone who finds MovieBob's opinions on movies generally more agreeable than most "internet critics", I purposely avoided his terrible opinions on games because I don't want to know just how embarrassing his opinions are. It's that reason I avoid watching any videos with him in front of the camera also. I'm a Nintendo fanboy; I don't want to be more embarrassed about it.

Lately in his "Big Picture" opinion pieces, I often find myself turned off by the tone of his "nerdrage gatekeeping" and general matter he tries to cherrypick which controversies are worth discussing and which ones should be shut down; even when I do agree with him. It'd be more welcomed if he was more sober personality, but as he is he can hardly be considered a saucer that consistently cools the worst things about nerdom.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Moviebob is unwatchable. My biggest issue is he wears his opinions on his sleeve. He has a character in his reviews that is a straw-man for his dislike of dude bro games and gamers. It's not surprising he defended Other M, since it is a Nintendo game, and his nostalgia for Nintendo gets in the way.

I remember he did a video on why he likes video games, which was just 11 minutes of video game references.

His Amazing Spider-man 2 review has him stating he felt like destroying his Spider-man stuff after seeing that movie.

In the end, I have no time for Bob. His reviews are the kind I have tried to steer away from over the years.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

Moviebob is unwatchable. My biggest issue is he wears his opinions on his sleeve. He has a character in his reviews that is a straw-man for his dislike of dude bro games and gamers. It's not surprising he defended Other M, since it is a Nintendo game, and his nostalgia for Nintendo gets in the way.

I remember he did a video on why he likes video games, which was just 11 minutes of video game references.

His Amazing Spider-man 2 review has him stating he felt like destroying his Spider-man stuff after seeing that movie.

In the end, I have no time for Bob. His reviews are the kind I have tried to steer away from over the years.

:what:

I'll agree that Game Overthinker is unwatchable garbage and his Nintendo fanboyism is embarassing, but are your seriously arguing that a critic isn't allowed to have opinions? Or are they allowed to have them, but they just shouldn't tell us?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I find that when Moviebob is "on" with movies, he's capable of some articulate insight that isn't too far off from my own feelings on a movie, but when he's bad holy poo poo is he bad. He's got a face for radio and a personality to match, and anything even approaching video games is often deeply embarrassing, effectively meaning that 2/3 of his regular output is salted garbage.

The worst part is that for all the bending over backwards he does to talk about how he used to be so blind and so full of himself on this and that, he still can't recognize when he's being blind and full of himself. Like, dude I get it you have a huge hate boner for the Amazing Spider-Man; I have plenty of nerd franchises that cause me to spout my mouth off like a retard too (New Star Trek, Star Wars, Prometheus, Fox's X-Men flicks, WB superhero movies as a whole, Watchmen), but at least I can admit that for all my strong emotions I'm still being a big retarded baby without disowning what I feel or think, and even acknowledge that for all my hate all of those franchises have merit somewhere. He actively denies that he has bias in one breath while decrying the "less socially progressive" in the next, and I'm sorry dude but you do not and never will have the kind of cache to get away with that kind-of horse poo poo, especially when you prove yourself fully capable of being even-handed and level-headed on topics that don't hit your manchild buttons.

Ugh that's more words than I ever wanted to say about that guy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Hey guys! Wanted to drop in and let you guys know Phelous.com has been completely redesigned!

It looked a lot less bad from what I saw!

it still doesn't look very good to me

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I think my problem isn't even so much with the lovely opinions that he has but the fact that he gets incredibly smug and condescending towards people disagree, one of his characters deliberately being the biggest strawman ever. On the flip side it's why Doug is cool with me. He always says "Look, if you like/dislike something, great. You're not a bad person for it but this is why I think X about Y thing."

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

watho posted:

It looked a lot less bad from what I saw!

it still doesn't look very good to me

Well glad it's a step up. ;) Any tips on how to improve it?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There is something a bit off about it. It honestly might be the blue/orange color scheme. The background image strikes me as amateurish too. I'm trying to find a site I like the look of that isn't boring black/white.

I really like the look of Shamus Young's blog for a "non-boring" design, and Spoony's site is also decent looking, but I can't really articulate what's different.

I think it's all the visual noise. Or rather, everything looks "uniform". When I open the site, I don't really know where my eyes are supposed to go, because all the columns look identical.

Look at Cracked, they have a sidebar too, but it's heavily muted compared to the main feed. I think when it comes down to it, the issue is space. When I look at Phelous' site, I'm bombarded by, by my count, no less that 7 video thumbnails, one of which has a giant duplicate thumbnail as the main feature. All of the titles are in a very attention-grabbing Safety Orange color with a drop shadow, making it impossible to tell which to look at.

All the sites I mentioned only have one or two pieces of content on the screen at once, except cracked which goes with a very clearly laid out stream of photos with muted text in neutral colors (black). What Cracked did is probably harder to pull off, it would probably be easier to just show one or two thumbnails on the screen at a time.

I'm not super into web stuff though, so don't take my fumbling to explain this as gospel.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A sidebar that's usually to highlight the most seen articles and stuff from other listicle sites, to the point that you can get to an article with an author writes as "WE HERE AT CRACKED" and write about some passionate point, and then have, on said side bar, at least 2 to 3 articles that preach the opposite. Then again this might be a side effect from trying to make poo poo too exciting so you get things like "HERE'S 6 THINGS" on an article that's only about 5 items or "HERE'S 4 REASONS ON HOW GAZANS ARE TOTES LIKE INTERNET TROLLS" where half of the items, if more, are spelled in the article as Israel's doing or outright "Here's some myths that I shall dispell from your brain, if you believe anything on the titles on the points you're an unenlightened mongrel" where the titles of said items are just surprising things rather than the myths themselves.

It's not even like an advertising server ordeal, it's outright bad planning that no amount of hypocritical "Here's why you shouldn't trust clickbait and news sites and totally trust us bc of a Jon Stewart type clause" pieces can fix.

I'd say that your uniform point makes sense: There's a lot of more face action going on the Phelous Logo and so on, and whereas there's more faces from just pressing PgDn on Shamus's blog, they're inside boxes with their own content rather than being flourish around the site. Spoony has less characters and flourishes as well, and everything's nice and tidy like a newspaper front page.

The FrontPage is also a good example for a site that both deals with text heavy and image heavy content. And ChezApocalypse works well for both text and video.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 2, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Well glad it's a step up. ;) Any tips on how to improve it?

It just looks a bit busy and cluttered to me.

So uhm… make it… less so? :shrug:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Alacron posted:

:what:

I'll agree that Game Overthinker is unwatchable garbage and his Nintendo fanboyism is embarassing, but are your seriously arguing that a critic isn't allowed to have opinions? Or are they allowed to have them, but they just shouldn't tell us?

You're right, I worded that terribly. My mistake.

rephrase: My biggest issue is he wears his fanboyism on his sleeve.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Thanks for the advice on the site. I'll pass the word on. :)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks for the advice on the site. I'll pass the word on. :)

Hey, at least you guys are trying to do something instead of using a boring stock WordPress theme with no real customization, saying you'll change it but never doing it... like someone we know.

I think the main problem with phelous.com is still mainly in the spacing. Everything's squeezed so tightly. More padding is needed between containers. Even a few extra pixels in the margins can help.

It would also be useful to put a gradient shadow or color on the containers where video information is kept. That would help it look a lot less flat, and it's very simple to achieve such an effect. Just have a transparent image cover the container, and the color of the actual container will show through (so you're free to change the background color without needing to change the image).

The simple thing to do is just adjust style.css manually (as in, using a text editor and not Wordpress itself) in different ways until it looks neater. There are so many options. I dicked around with it for about 10 min., just 'cos, and although it's still messy you can see that I mean about the background container image.

code:

background-image: url('http://-URL-PATH-/YOUR-BG-IMAGE.png');
	background-position: top;
	background-repeat: repeat-x;
	min-height: 160px;

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 2, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Kenster posted:

I honestly enjoy listening to Moviebob talk about obscure cartoons and summarize comic book plots but the vast majority of those Game Overthinker videos are incredibly awful and if you look at anything he's made outside of the last couple of years you risk hearing some of the most aggressively insufferable shitspew of blind nostalgia and dumb opinions.

What's worst is that gaming culture even his opinions are seen as 'overthinking'. Same with the 'game theorist' stuff, it's weird seeing any attempts (good or bad notwithstanding) at being critical towards gaming immediately described as if they were way too advanced or super-high-theory for people to think about. Surely if you believed what you were saying you'd give it a little more credit than that.

Moviebob's perspective appears to be that movies are fine to think about, but that games are not. Which is kind of silly, really.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ema Nymton posted:

It would also be useful to put a gradient shadow or color on the containers where video information is kept. That would help it look a lot less flat, and it's very simple to achieve such an effect. Just have a transparent image cover the container, and the color of the actual container will show through (so you're free to change the background color without needing to change the image).

The simple thing to do is just adjust style.css manually (as in, using a text editor and not Wordpress itself) in different ways until it looks neater. There are so many options. I dicked around with it for about 10 min., just 'cos, and although it's still messy you can see that I mean about the background container image.

code:

background-image: url('http://-URL-PATH-/YOUR-BG-IMAGE.png');
	background-position: top;
	background-repeat: repeat-x;
	min-height: 160px;

Or something like this simply? Just slight depth trough a reversed gradient.

quote:

background: #455cb7; /* Old browsers */
background: -moz-radial-gradient(center, ellipse cover, #455cb7 0%, #0023bf 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
background: -webkit-gradient(radial, center center, 0px, center center, 100%, color-stop(0%,#455cb7), color-stop(100%,#0023bf));
background: -webkit-radial-gradient(center, ellipse cover, #455cb7 0%,#0023bf 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
background: -o-radial-gradient(center, ellipse cover, #455cb7 0%,#0023bf 100%); /* Opera 12+ */
background: -ms-radial-gradient(center, ellipse cover, #455cb7 0%,#0023bf 100%); /* IE10+ */
background: radial-gradient(ellipse at center, #455cb7 0%,#0023bf 100%); /* W3C */
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#455cb7', endColorstr='#0023bf',GradientType=1 );

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Everything that you need to hammer down a good summation of what GHUUUUUEEEEMYYYYYYYYYYYYHHHHHHMMMMMMM THUUUUUUUURRRRRRHHHHH is to listen to the two minutes or so of This.

Or this.

The sad thing is that you can get a lot of neat stuff from "overthinking" games. There's right now a Deus Ex LP that uses the game as a springboard to discuss all sorts of things, one can poke around stuff like VGJUNK or HG101 and notice a lot of words for a dinky game time almost forgot and notice all sorts of nooks and crannies inside it. You can do all sorts of neat things if you put effort on the right place!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Kunster posted:

You can do all sorts of neat things if you put effort on the right place!

Effort? In video games? pfffff

"I think you're overthinking things" is the rallying cry of the true gamer. Right after #gamergate of course.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
My favorite game theory is the idea of real evolution being in pokemon, like how each game basic birds fit into the region style itself. since evoltion that is in pokemon as we know is more metamorphosis.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There's this weird thing where nerds will huff and puff and sneer at the very idea of looking at games and their deeper meanings (regarding sexism, the jingoistic themes in Call of Duty, problems with gaming culture etc.) but they'll go wild and write huge posts about stupid bullshit like "WHAT IF ZELDA IS LIKE....REALLY DEAD MAAAAAAAAAN" "WHAT IF POKEMON TAKES PLACE IN THE POST APOCALYPSE!".

What's that? You want to discuss how GamerGate is an example of how toxic nerd culture is? Boooooooring, let's talk about how those creepy trees in Super Mario Galaxy are really people in hell!

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 2, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OldTennisCourt posted:

There's this weird thing where nerds will huff and puff and sneer at the very idea of looking at games and their deeper meanings (regarding sexism, the jingoistic themes in Call of Duty, problems with gaming culture etc.) but they'll go wild and write huge posts about stupid bullshit like "WHAT IF ZELDA IS LIKE....REALLY DEAD MAAAAAAAAAN" "WHAT IF POKEMON TAKES PLACE IN THE POST APOCALYPSE!".

As a pokemon fan i hate the whole idea of pokemon being post apocalypes or that ash coma thing since it not a theory more of a wild fan fic gone viral. pokemon to me is just a fantasy with outlandish sciance and wonderful monsters. People have found deeper meaningful things in pokemon like the idea of having them battling may be immoral (which even nintendo did a whole game about) and i do give gen 5 that credit over the other gens that just a badge hunt. And i am Ok with the challenge of dealing with animal rights in pokemon. i rather have that then some "dark and edgy" garbage.

EDIT: i feel most of my hate for the two can be said for the "dark and edgy" fad in media.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 2, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Cyron posted:

As a pokemon fan i hate the whole idea of pokemon being post apocalypes or that ash coma thing since it not a theory more of a wild fan fic gone viral. pokemon to me is just a fantasy with outlandish sciance and wonderful monsters. People have found deeper meaningful things in pokemon like the idea of having them battling may be immoral (which even nintendo did a whole game about) and i do give gen 5 that credit over the other gens that just a badge hunt.

The whole stupid thoery is there because Lt. Surge was in the army and said he used pokemon and that the game has mostly kid pokemon trainers. Therefore OBVIOUSLY WWIII happened and there are no more adults. It's the same dumb garbage where every show for kids has some dumbass theory where it's really just the ~main character's dreams in a coma~

V---I'm not saying game theories are bad really, it's just annoying that the same people who think that those theories make those games so deep roll their eyes at serious attempts to deconstruct or discuss game themes or issues.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Eh, I like reading silly theories like that. Imagining there's more games than meets the eye is fun, at least for me.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

As a pokemon fan i hate the whole idea of pokemon being post apocalypes or that ash coma thing since it not a theory more of a wild fan fic gone viral. pokemon to me is just a fantasy with outlandish sciance and wonderful monsters. People have found deeper meaningful things in pokemon like the idea of having them battling may be immoral (which even nintendo did a whole game about) and i do give gen 5 that credit over the other gens that just a badge hunt. And i am Ok with the challenge of dealing with animal rights in pokemon. i rather have that then some "dark and edgy" garbage.

EDIT: i feel most of my hate for the two can be said for the "dark and edgy" fad in media.

There's still that one really odd and out of place sequence in X/Y about the giant apocalypse that happened and there was some giant weapon that wiped out almost the entire world or something. So I guess there's some merit there for the darker theories?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The indoctrination theory is chem trails of video games.

People are reluctant to look further into games because the people who do in opinion pieces tend to come off the deep end and pull real stretches of logic. When it comes to mechanics of a game it's really simple to explain it away compared to a story beat. Using game mechanics in clever ways to support the story (like the ending of Brothers for instance) is possible, but more often than not a context sensitive action is just that.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I think Adventure Time was created specifically so that the "[children's media] takes place after the nuclear apocalypse! :byodood:" people would actually be on base for once.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The Kenster posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Other M video he did was years ago and he has since changed his outlook on most of the things he said in that video.

A source on this would be nice. He still has terrible opinions on video games as others in this thread have pointed out so I have a hard time believing he would ever backpedal on anything he said about a Nintendo game, no matter how terrible and wrong it was.

Regardless, the GameOverthinker sketches are probably the worst sketches I've ever seen. Sure is fun watching an out of shape manchild prance about in a ninja outfit acting out his video game fanfic. :allears:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tracula posted:

There's still that one really odd and out of place sequence in X/Y about the giant apocalypse that happened and there was some giant weapon that wiped out almost the entire world or something. So I guess there's some merit there for the darker theories?

The whole thing with that is that pokemoon exist at that time. the theory was at first about nuclear fallout and Pokemon being mutated animals from today's world.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's that? You want to discuss how GamerGate is an example of how toxic nerd culture is? Boooooooring, let's talk about how those creepy trees in Super Mario Galaxy are really people in hell!

That's easy to dissect. Accepting the "Pokemon is post apocalyptic" idea requires no real change or sacrifice on the part of the gamer. He's never asked to examine his own behavior, or his own values, or his own hobby in a context that extends beyond the game itself. Accepting the "many video game narratives reflect sexist, racist, and generally bigoted beliefs" requires him to do all of those things and more. It requires a level of introspection and honesty that provides a challenge beyond clicking this or that button at the right moment.

So of course most nerds won't. It's a matter of intellectual courage vs. intellectual laziness.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

The whole thing with that is that pokemoon exist at that time. the theory was at first about nuclear fallout and Pokemon being mutated animals from today's world.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Brad's Can't Stop The Music review is hilarious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Doug just discovered Gravity Falls so I hope he does vlogs of that show now that Korra is wrapping up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KKall posted:

That's easy to dissect. Accepting the "Pokemon is post apocalyptic" idea requires no real change or sacrifice on the part of the gamer. He's never asked to examine his own behavior, or his own values, or his own hobby in a context that extends beyond the game itself. Accepting the "many video game narratives reflect sexist, racist, and generally bigoted beliefs" requires him to do all of those things and more. It requires a level of introspection and honesty that provides a challenge beyond clicking this or that button at the right moment.

So of course most nerds won't. It's a matter of intellectual courage vs. intellectual laziness.

It's the same problem I see with film, trying to disect or discuss popcorn films or other blockbusters suddenly becomes "Ugh, stop being a pretentious dick and just enjoy the movie. Turn your brain off!". (Note: I love the poo poo out of popcorn movies)

Speaking of film, have you given any thought to some horror films this Halloween? Perhaps some of the newer extreme French horror films such as Martyrs or Inside?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
talking about films, i remember when skyfall came out and daniel craig saying he wouldn't mind his bond falling for a man. of corse there where people freaking out.

it not the same as seeing deeper meaning in games or films but it close.

EDIT: I also remember that people freaked out when that nintendo may make Link a female in the new Zelda. i think a female link would be cool honestly even if zelda get kidnap agian

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of film, have you given any thought to some horror films this Halloween? Perhaps some of the newer extreme French horror films such as Martyrs or Inside?

I'd love to see this. I'd also love to see KKall look at Hannibal, if only to see him do a tv series.

• Locked thread