Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You guys forgot "Build".

Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

You guys forgot "Build".

Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

Full Burnererern!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

You guys forgot "Build".

Full Cloth and Perfect :colbert:

Perfect Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
MSV Guncannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon cannon (Ver. Ka)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Model number has to be RX-84-NG. Or RX-800-M

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finished HG Titus and half of MG Turn A (with one leg and the skirt lined) today in a four and a half hour marathon. The only thing I don't like about the Titus is how loose the waist/torso connection is, but he's a fun little dude that'll look rad punching another little dude. Really trying to not preorder Powered Cardigan and that HGBC.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 2, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Full Cloth and Perfect :colbert:

Perfect Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

Perfect Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM! MK2 Commander Type - C. A. Custom

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Perfect Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM! MK2 Commander Type - C. A. Custom

Perfect Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM! MK2 Commander Type - C. A. Custom Stamen Full Cloth

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well, it sure didn't take long for the Neo Zeong to make it into GS&M's "oh god please buy some of these" deal of the week.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Will it get any cheaper than that? I might splurge and grab one if it hits $100.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Will it get any cheaper than that? I might splurge and grab one if it hits $100.

That's only about 10% over GGS&M's normal Gundam discount, so it will probably go on a deeper sale somewhere sometime. No way will it ever hit $100, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Two broken pieces in two days. Fortunately just HG kits but still very frustrating.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am frankly disgusted we are getting PG unicorn before MG Kshatriya :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finished MG Turn A. I'm trying to decide if i want another MG to throw in my order with Build Burning and RG Exia, but I don't know what I want that's not 90 bucks on its own and also in stock on HLJ.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Finished MG Turn A. I'm trying to decide if i want another MG to throw in my order with Build Burning and RG Exia, but I don't know what I want that's not 90 bucks on its own and also in stock on HLJ.

Whyy not try amazon?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DamnGlitch posted:

Whyy not try amazon?

Because I want to lump it in with my existing order as long as I'm already paying international shipping.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Blitzblast would tell you to get gundam X MG, which is a good model.

Turn X is in stock - low in stock, mind - though as well, you could set up a little diorama or something :)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sounds like you need a MG GUNDA- oh god drat it ignimbrite way to steal my only purpose in life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gundam X looks pretty dope actually and is only 30 bucks....

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ignimbrite posted:

Blitzblast would tell you to get gundam X MG, which is a good model.

Turn X is in stock - low in stock, mind - though as well, you could set up a little diorama or something :)

Get both, somehow pose the GX to do a hand-stand.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Gundam X looks pretty dope actually and is only 30 bucks....

Definitely get Gundam X, it's really cheap and looks super nice on a shelf with the satellite cannon deployed.I've got in a position in a room where natural sunlight can hit it and it looks amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For those of you with the regular MG Destiny, there's a pretty decent 3rd party WoL on eBay for $14. You can message them whether you want a red or purple-blue one.

Also 50% off of the Kotobukiya Shiranui Vanguard and $35 off the nonscale Wilfried's Typhoon. I think the general consensus on the Koto Muv-luv kits is that the nonscales sucked while the 1/144s were neat, so be careful.

One lucky guy Two people can also get a 1/72 VF-1S Valkyrie Roy Focker custom for close to the base price in Japan. There's also the Super Parts expansion pack for $19.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 3, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Also 50% off of the Kotobukiya Shiranui Vanguard and $35 off the nonscale Wilfried's Typhoon. I think the general consensus on the Koto Muv-luv kits is that the nonscales sucked while the 1/144s were neat, so be careful.

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite on the Muv Luv kits. At least in my experience my Takemikazuchi Nonscale is a hell of a lot better than the 1/144.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So here's a question.

Topcoating. Especially without the import brands I see in videos, and when I've panel lined. What are my options that won't run all over my toy robot, and can be bought easily in the US?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yalborap posted:

So here's a question.

Topcoating. Especially without the import brands I see in videos, and when I've panel lined. What are my options that won't run all over my toy robot, and can be bought easily in the US?

Trying to get the question right. You've panel lined the bare model and you want something to protect the panel lining? What kind of finish do you want?

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Trying to get the question right. You've panel lined the bare model and you want something to protect the panel lining? What kind of finish do you want?

Yeah, that's correct. I was wanting a simple matte finish, just to make it look a little less "cheap plastic toy", but I know different paints and inks and stuff can be weird with eachother.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yalborap posted:

Yeah, that's correct. I was wanting a simple matte finish, just to make it look a little less "cheap plastic toy", but I know different paints and inks and stuff can be weird with eachother.

Well, whatever finish you put on, it's not going to be the same as the bare plastic, so you'll want to do it over all of the armor pieces. I dunno how much that appeals to you. If you are willing to go through the work, I swear by this stuff for a matte topcoat:

Also known as dullcote, not to be confused with glosscote which is the glossy version which is protective as hell but will make your models look glossy as fuuuuuuuuuuck

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I am frankly disgusted we are getting PG unicorn before MG Kshatriya :colbert:

I demand a PG Dendrobium with spring loaded weapon pods :colbert:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I just finished my first model MG Sandrock EW, except for decals which I will tackle this weekend. I am really impressed by the quality of the parts. Everything fit together extremely well and there were hardly any mold lines in obvious places. Overall I'm really happy with it. I have 2 more kits left and one more on the way all MG. I hope the rest of them are of the same standard.

Which should I start next? I have sinanju Stein and Astray Blue second revision.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bandai's gundam models are far and away the highest quality model kits in the market. Nothing else even compares.

As for what next, you could get all the Wing MGs I guess. Amazon's having a sale right now.

BlitzBlast posted:

Amazon's got a sale going on for most Wing MGs. Sandrock, Wing, Shenlong, Wing Zero Custom and Deathscythe Hell for ~$45. Heavyarms, Deathscythe, and Wing EW for ~$40. And while it's not as much of a discount, Tallgeese and Proto Zero for ~$50.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, no other kit from any company has anything approaching the level of engineering that Bandai puts into its kits. Generally it's just "Let's slap the bare necessities into a mold and ship it in monocolor". I would love to see other JP/US companies do the same for their kits, even if it were just better parts separation for spraypainting. But it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever see a plane model kit with inner detail on the level of an MG/PG.

On another topic, for those who've ordered from Gentei Kits before - do they charge up-front for preorders or do they wait until they actually have your kit in stock before charging?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's up front.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I did some measuring. RD Crossbone X1 is about 1 cm too short to be a true 1/100, but honestly I'd say it's close enough. I'd rather my late UC stuff be too small than too tall like the MGs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 3, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, no other kit from any company has anything approaching the level of engineering that Bandai puts into its kits. Generally it's just "Let's slap the bare necessities into a mold and ship it in monocolor". I would love to see other JP/US companies do the same for their kits, even if it were just better parts separation for spraypainting. But it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever see a plane model kit with inner detail on the level of an MG/PG.

Admittedly, Kotobuyia seems to do pretty ok on their kits. Not up to Bandai standards a lot of the time, but far beyond "everything's one color, cheapest plasic we can find, gently caress it ship it busted".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

For those of you with the regular MG Destiny, there's a pretty decent 3rd party WoL on eBay for $14. You can message them whether you want a red or purple-blue one.

One lucky guy Two people can also get a 1/72 VF-1S Valkyrie Roy Focker custom for close to the base price in Japan. There's also the Super Parts expansion pack for $19.

the nonscale mubrubs are ok, at least the super hornet that i put together is, but i do see where they have some issues. the 1/144 are more conventional if someone's used to bandai kits.

also the 1/144 actv eagle, which i saw teaser pics of like last year, is up for preorder on amazon and NOWHERE ELSE and i don't know why.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

Admittedly, Kotobuyia seems to do pretty ok on their kits. Not up to Bandai standards a lot of the time, but far beyond "everything's one color, cheapest plasic we can find, gently caress it ship it busted".

Yeah, I've been exceedingly happy with my 1/36 Tachikoma, and I'll probably be getting the 1/100 Tsugumori Animation ver. when that comes out later this month. They're not quite at Bandai's level and some of the plastic feels a little flimsy, but the Tachikoma's still a very nice kit with no stickers at all and solid articulation.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I haven't even tried to start on my Rein Weissritter from them, but I really hope that thing's good. It's an ugly loving amazingly looking monster of a mecha, and I want the model to be great.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Kotobukiya's kits (atleast the SRW ones) are pretty great. For the most part, they have more/better color separation than gundam kits, plus major, important decals get tampographed, so you don't even need to worry about applying those. The engineering is probably about the same as gundam kits that came out a couple years before. I'd take a little more care with them, though, because they tend to run the plastic a little thinner and pointy ends will stab the hell out of you.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

Kotobukiya's kits (atleast the SRW ones) are pretty great. For the most part, they have more/better color separation than gundam kits, plus major, important decals get tampographed, so you don't even need to worry about applying those. The engineering is probably about the same as gundam kits that came out a couple years before. I'd take a little more care with them, though, because they tend to run the plastic a little thinner and pointy ends will stab the hell out of you.

only problem is if you want to paint the kits they can be a complete pain in the rear end because the individual pieces have more color separation. They also have more seam lines.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The other issue is that they're way pricier for what you actually get. Can be kind of hard to find them at times too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I have been taking my sweet time on my HGUC RX-78-2. It's taking forever to get this thing to look good. The seams are ridiculous, and everywhere. I think I'm almost there though. Chest needs another coat of blue, and then I have to paint his shield, and he'll be ready for panel lining and weathering. I don't have a work in progress pic at the moment.

Speaking of weathering, does anyone have a good video demonstrating some good weathering techniques? Preferably with a host that is sub 400 lbs and sans speech impediment? I used Tamiya weather master on my last kit, and while I liked the results, I feel like it's really only good for dirt and soot and stuff, not for an actually weathered metal/worn paint look.

Edit: I don't want this guy teaching me about gunpla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBXkHg4ac94

• Locked thread