Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Euphemia Carson, The Infernal
Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Dark Power Strings 1/5 | Conditions: None

Oh ho! My eyes light up at his words, this wasn't what I was fishing for, but one kind of fish is as good as the next. "He's always willing to welcome a wayward sheep back into his flock. He doesn't ask for anything to complex. A confession is usually a good place to start, as is listening to his words or carrying out his will. If you truly mean to commit, a baptism would let you bathe again in the light of his blessing." I twine my fingers around his, pulling him up to my side and rest my head on his shoulder, speaking softly into his ear. "We can do it now, if you want. I can show you the way to his truth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Hot. 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5; Conditions: NONE

I remain silent for a while, under the pretext that I'm in some kind of existential crisis, rather than merely content to enjoy her company. A few lies told to a god who, even if He did exist, has clearly stopped listening, and a bath? I could do worse on a day like today, and that's before you add her trust into the bargain.

"Perhaps. Maybe I am missing something."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"God will show you the way, once you embrace him again," I give Seth another smile, and prepare to lead him off to the church when a thought occurs to me, "Did you want to drop off your supplies before? They would make a rather fine offering to show your sincerity though."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Ah, here's the exchange I was waiting for. Oh, well. I suppose I can divest myself of most of these things, except the meat, even though I'd have to start rationing my cigarettes without goods to trade for more. How do you humans enjoy consuming so much of this empty, tasteless "bread" anyway?

"I can part with a few things, if that's what is required."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Oh, no, I don't want you to think it's required. Just, a suggestion. God would rather have you come to him with all your material possessions than to have given them up unwillingly." I flash a quick look at his face to see how he's taking this. "Perhaps you should just bring them along, and you can decide afterwards how you feel about the mater?"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Eve, The Queen
Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile 0, Dark -1
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5 (+1); Conditions: NONE

"Good, because what I thought I saw was you harassing our new guest before he had a chance to finish his breakfast. Because that would be a real rear end in a top hat move, one that would be very disappointing to see in our home here. Plus, isn't there something you should be doing?" The implication is clear, or at least, I would hope so. Bart's been around the block, and while I don't have to go aggro every time, sometimes it's better to be subtle about it.

A very calm Shut Down, hoping to keep Bart in line in the long run.
[17:28] <thelazyblank> !r 2d6+1
[17:29] <Krysmbot> thelazyblank, 8+1 = 9
Let's go with the condition A Real rear end in a top hat.

"I have to say, this cookin' is delicious, by the way. Where'd those kids learn how ta cook like that?" I try to continue the conversation as nothin' was wrong, even if I know Bart's not gonna like it. Sometimes, it ain't about being liked.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I usually am in fair control of my expression, but I had to raise an eyebrow at her strange manner. First, she hinted at wanting an "offering", but now claims I may keep all I own, if only I accept her God. Is this desperation? Delightful. Any gifts will now seem even more generous, due to need.

"Yes, we'll see. Besides, my home is a little uncomfortable to get to. Which helps me sleep at night, but isn't the best for dropping things off."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 17, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

For sounding reluctant to give up his supplies a moment before, he doesn't look too grateful to hear he doesn't need to now. Ah well. If he went through with this, he'd see the light soon enough. "I understand, you can never be too careful these days."

After a short walk, we soon arrive outside the church, and I lead Seth over towards the side. I fumble around in my pocket for a moment, then pull out a key ring and begin to undo the various locks I've installed on the door.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Grace Walker
Hot: 0; Cold: 0; Volatile: 1; Trespass: 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 :Forgiveness
Harm: 1/4; Exp: 2/5 (0); Conditions: --

Well, I wasn't about to stand there arguing with her. Assuming she was going to be able to keep her head, she'd be a bit of help -- I didn't actually plan on getting into a fight with a building full of Brickers, after all, and there was also the added benefit of her actually knowing who this woman was somewhat. I hoped, at least. With any luck, all of the residents would be too busy trying to kill each other upstairs to take notice of what we were doing.

So I nod at her, and give her a small smile. "Okay. If we're lucky, none of the Brickers will even know we're here." Then I knelt down, and examined the now-open window. It'd be a bit tight, but I could probably get in and out no problem. The truth was, though, I didn't really like being underground. I don't actually use my wings that often these days, but I like having the option. Something about basements and cellars and tunnels just makes me feel trapped and fenced in. I take a deep breath, though, and slide into the basement boots first.

Hold steady: 2d6=7. I keep my cool and don't kick over a paint can or anything.

I land in a crouch on some old carboard or something, so any sound my landing would have made gets mostly muffled. Straightening up, I move out of the way so that Cassie can come down, and blink to try and make my eyes adjust faster to the relative gloom of the basement.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Casiguaya “Cassie” Cerulean
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Shaken

I take a moment to breath, and then slide through the window into the darkness of the basement. Just like swimming to the depths where the sun cannot reach. Almost feels like home, except not at all.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Grace+Cassie:
The basement is still partially flooded - not by much, it comes to just below the ankle, and to Cassie it feels... off. It doesn't even have a trace of salt, and it's... clean, not like other contaminated floodwater. There's a gentle flow to it, a miniature current from further in, from a gloomy, dark room - the only thing immediately visible inside from your current position is a washing machine. There is the sound of humming coming from that room - human humming, that is.

Above you, you can still hear the argument raging on, and something smash. What are the chances one of them might come down here?

Eve:
Lose a string on Bart
Bart opens his mouth to protest, then shuts it. "...Sure thing, Eve - I'll just go get to work, then." He's not happy, but knows his place. Getting up from the table, Bart heads off to do something away from the danger of pissing off his boss.

Bradley, on the other hand, is quietly but obviously relieved. "Thanks for that. Is he always like that? Amy and Will were starting to notice, and... well, they've been having a good morning just putting together all the stuff they've been reading in cookbooks the past couple of weeks, so thanks for not letting him ruin it."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Impressive. Does she know a locksmith or something?

"Well - I may keep my things here anyway. Sirocco's Fort Knox, as it were. Very nice."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

“Well, this seems like the right place, anyway,” I whisper. I'm still too nervous to do any more than that, though.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Eve, The Queen

I smirk, looking Bradley over once while I speak. "He's very territorial, it happens when you're out here too often. There was a time when he was worse, if you can imagine. Still, he's one of us, so I think he sometimes takes the us versus them a little too seriously. He doesn't get the more.. subtle points. Like you, you're not really an us or a them, you're just around for the ride. Problem with rhetoric, ya know?" I look around, taking the spot that Bart just vacated.

"Now, hate to ask, but you got any people who wouldn't mind helping with carryin' supplies back from the aid station? You know how it goes, the faster and more stuff we can move, the safer things'll be.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Better safe than sorry, right?" Winking at Seth, I finish unlocking the door, and show him inside, sliding a solid deadbolt in place behind us. Easy enough to undo from the inside so it doesn't look like I'm trying to trap him, but sturdy enough to give me time to lock the rest if someone is trying to break in.

The church room is fairly unadorned, wooden pews on a wooden floor that had clearly once been carpeted. It lacks the dampness and rot of many other locations in the city however, and is pleasantly, if dimly, lit by the light coming in from the high windows. Turning back to Seth, I pose the question, "So, how did you want to start?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

As you might have guessed by now, I don't really mind the damp. But it is at least novel to see someplace seemingly untouched by the flooding. While I admire the stained glass, I take the time to drop off the supplies in my hand into one of the front pews. My backpack remains on - for now.

"Your call. It's been a long time. And all of these places are a little different, right? I think I was a Catholic? Meh."

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker

"Well, I'm glad you think so," I say, keeping my voice similarly low. The chances of anyone coming down here are hopefully pretty slim. Unless someone bolts for the basement to escape taking a brick to the head, or that woman decides that whoever they have trapped down here should be taken care of more directly. If she even is trapped -- she's apparently humming. It would be a little bit much to take a brick to the head and climb blind through a window just to find out that this person was perfectly happy where she was.

Moving as quietly as I can, I lead the way into the room that the humming is coming from.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Dark Power Strings 1/5 | Conditions: None

Hmm. I flash Seth a look of mild irritation. "You won't be joining a silent god the masses pray too. The true god listens, and answers." I soften my expression into a smile, and shake my head slightly, not wanting to scare him away. "Your attitude is understandable however, after spending so long with a silent idol." I turn to face the altar and bow my head in a brief prayer. 'This one says he wishes to join me in your light. How shall I show him the way?'

gazing time
[21:53] <godfish> !r 2d6+1
[21:53] <Krysmbot> godfish, 6+1 = 7
confusing and alarming go

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 26, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Eve:
"Hah, yeah..." He... doesn't seem to know quite how to respond to being 'just along for the ride' - or what the /safe/ response would be. "Sure, gotta pull our weight, and reward you for taking us in like you did. I can get about six - seven including me, who're up for hauling stuff. Is it usually not safe?"

Grace+Cassie:
The room the humming's coming from used to be a laundry room, but hasn't been used since - well, the marks on the walls show where the floodwater was at its highest, and every machine down here was submerged and broken back then. Now, aside from dead machines, the only occupant of this room is a bespectacled woman in a blue dress, sat with her back to a wall, still humming. She notices you, then returns her attention to the wall opposite to the one she's leaning against.

Seth+Euphemia:
The Lord's touch is swift to come, and tinged with urgency:

A succession of bloody, burning animal corpses - rams and calves, lambs and bulls, offered in sacrifice; A hall of penitent worshippers, wailing in supplication; A marching army, out to spread the faith by the sword

As quickly as they come, the visions fade, but there's no coherency to them. What do you think they mean?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I can think of several ways to interpret those visions that I think would be pleasing to him, but I'll start with one of simpler ones, which helpfully is one of the meanings I'd prefer. Turning back to Seth, I give him another smile. "He wants you to prove your commitment with a sacrifice, or by smiting one of his enemies. With bulls being in rather short supply, if you have something else you want to offer, that'd be fine, but the latter seems easier. I happen to know of a small gang that he wants punished, who, as it turns out, Natalie would also like gone. If you help me take them out, we could kill a lot of birds with one stone."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Well, that's certainly forward. And while I'd love to drop some canned corn on the altar and leave, if she's telling the truth about this gang's interactions with Natalie...

"All of us who haven't fled are survivors, but I've never considered myself much of a fighter. Can you tell me anything about this gang?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

“Yeah, that's gotta be her. We can go now.”

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Eve, The Queen

"Shouldn't be, yeah. Problem is, if things were how they should, we probably wouldn't be sharing a place with this big mob of humanity. Better to be prepared for poo poo than have a bunch a dumb gang-types flying in and trying to take our stuff. Safety in numbers, should scare away all but the nuttiest of the nuts. You got me?" I grin, looking over at the rest of the room for a moment. I take a deep breath, eating some more of this meal. "Even smells good. How do they do it."

I stop for a moment. "If you don't mind me askin', what's yer plans for the long run? I know this ain't your kinda place, and most of your little crew seem like goodie-goodie sorts, so some of them may be uncomfortable with the chaos and whatnot. You gonna try to find a new place? Keep wanderin'? I mean, you got a place here as long as ya help out, but I know that ain't where your heart is at."

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker

Wait, what? "... what, you want to just leave her?" I ask Cassie, more than a little incredulous. I look back to the oblivious woman. "Hey, uh, miss? Are you okay down here? Are these people hurting you or anything?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

“I– N-no, I-I just,” I look down and clasp my hands together to stop them from shaking. It doesn't work. “She told me to find her, that's all, I don't have to bring her to her or anything. O-of course she can come with us i-if wants, but if she lives in this spring sh-she probably doesn't like the ocean water anyway,” I look up at the woman in blue, “right?”

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I'm not sure on any of the specifics, but they're a small gang operating near Natalie, around 7 people, and apparently they're keeping the other people around there too cowed to be willing to join up with her, which is why she wants them gone." Giving him a softer smile, I slide in close again. "As for fighting, well, I can handle them on my own really, but any backup you could give, throwing rocks to keep some out of the way maybe, would help. If you come with me, I can save one for you to sacrifice after."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

*Cough*

Did she just say what I thought she said? She worships no spineless Christian god - this is more like the Great Serpents the elders tell tales of, before we realized that they had either abandoned us, or never existed in the first place.

"Oh, I can do more than throw rocks, but - I'm sorry - when you say 'one for me to sacrifice', do you mean what I think you do? I might be somewhat lapsed, but that's not really standard practice, is it?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Frowning again, I look Seth directly in the eyes. "Of course. Haven't I been telling you this isn't the silent god of normal people? He blesses you and grants you strength, but he expects service and respect in return. Even the false religions of today recognize that. In the bible, God made the Israelites win their battles, but only so long as Moses stood in worship of him."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Let's mix it up. Time to put her off-balance, and stop playing so innocent.

"Fair enough. Do they know you, and your intentions towards them? Because I'd like to speak to them. Sometimes, a few words can do much more damage than a punch, you know?"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Cassie + Grace:
She looks back up, absentmindedly. "Oh no, they can't hurt me. But I can't leave, either. Not without getting sick. The water here is all wrong, and my spring is still blocked."

Eve:
He's quiet for a bit after that question, pondering what to say.
"Well... it's complicated. If you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about it. Just focus on the short-term stuff for now, you know?" He's definitely got something in mind, that's for sure.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Oh? I'm not sure what to think about that really, but it could be worth a try. Shake them up before I beat them up? "Well, I know where to find them, but I'm not sure if I'd have very useful directions. I could lead you to them though. You'll probably want me hanging out nearby anyway if they take your words the wrong way, things could get messy without me."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Oh. How sad. “Blocked? Do you know where the blockage is? I could help. Maybe.” If it's somewhere away from here.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I gracefully motioned to the door we came in.

"You can stay as near or far as you'd like. Shall we?"

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Grace Walker

I'm beginning to suspect that this was not an ordinary kidnapping case. I sigh -- me and Cassie are going to have to have a long talk about whoever it is she's doing jobs for. "This isn't an ordinary spring, is it?" I ask, trying not to look too exasperated. "What are you, exactly?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I nod to Seth and lead the way back out of the church, locking it up again as we exit of course. Then we set off towards the location of the gang Natalie wanted me to eliminate.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Eve, The Queen

"Look, I just want ya to feel comfortable. That's all. No need ta worry." I nod, looking over the room. I check to see where the usual types who don't mind this sort of thing are. "You gather your people, I'll gather mine. After you finish of course."

I pat him on the shoulder, taking a few more bites of my food with my other hand. "How's this place treatin' ya otherwise? You tryin' to get out or what?"

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 6

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Grace+Cassie:
"My name is Joan," she says calmly. "And this is not an ordinary spring. It is mine, it is me. I cannot exist without it. Anat claimed it made me a 'nymph'. Regardless of name, the fact is that until my spring is unblocked, I am limited."

There is more ruckus from upstairs, and from the creaking of the floorboards, someone is heading towards the basement staircase! What do you do?

Seth+Euphemia:
It's always easy to find gangs that think they control an area - they're never shy about making themselves known, and letting everyone know they're 'in charge'. The gang Euphemia was told about currently make their home in an abandoned library. There's one of them sitting on the steps, keeping watch, the others must be inside. What do you do?

I'll add prompts for Eve and Natalia tomorrow but I'm finding it difficult to come up with good ones, and in the meantime this game needs a bit of a kickstart. >___>

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Hrm. You know, I'm willing to bet that they don't even read any of the books in there. A shame."

Seth creeped as close as he could without drawing notice.

"Only one on guard. No visible walkie-talkie or anything, so his only means of reinforcement is to scream..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Crouching slightly next to him, I frown over at Seth. "If you were going to go talk to them, why are you bothering scouting first?" Honestly I'd much rather just march up to the guy and punch him in the throat than mess around with demoralization or scouting, but if this is what it takes to recruit Seth I can live with it.

...For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Seth raised an eybrow.

"Because it would pay to know some things before I walk up and chat. Is he bored? Vigilant? Tired? On drugs?"

He stood up, dusting himself off a little - about to head over.

"Okay, let's give this a shot. Feel free to bash his head in with a brick or something if things look dire."

• Locked thread