Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DTaeKim posted:

If we had a preference, it would be hatchback followed by compact and then a sedan, mainly for price. She liked the look of the Mazda2 hatchback, so we're starting in that direction. We're not particularly loyal to any brand as long as we have a relatively low cost of maintenance. We looked into the Golf, but the reviews regarding its reliability scares me a bit.

While it won't be my car primarily, I really prefer ease of maintenance since we're not handy with cars at all. My preference is to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for routine maintenance and head to a dealership for all of them. I personally drive a 2009 LX Honda CR-V and I'm glad it's still running very well five years later.

Honestly, If our budget falls within a 2013 or 2014 model, one with newer features would be nice, like Bluetooth capability as long as it doesn't break the bank. Her 2010 Chevrolet Aveo was functional and barebones like my car. Honestly, I suspect she's looking for a modern-looking one. She mentioned having a car she wouldn't be embarrassed to drive five years down the road and with kids in the back.

The 2 is quite small, so if you plan on carting around two dogs of even moderate size, that will be tough.

Compact is a size. You can get a compact sedan or a compact hatchback. Hatchbacks are generally not cheaper than sedans, all else equal - the Focus and Mazda3 hatchbacks are more expensive than their sedan counterparts.

You are prime territory for a gently used Prius. If not that, any modern compact car will be pretty good. If she likes the Mazda2 hatchback, I'd probably suggest the 3 instead, especially if you plan to get it with an automatic transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HEY VAPER posted:

Just for shits and giggles, what should I be looking for in the 10-12k range, and are there any NEW cars worth considering around the $15-20k ballpark? If he can get something new with a warranty and under 350-400/mo payments he wouldn't give a poo poo how boring it was. My main concern with a new car is that he's probably going to get a horrible interest rate; he has a semi-recent bankruptcy but a shockingly high credit score. Haven't looked into financing yet but I'm guessing it won't be good.

The V6 Mustang. I know you shat on it, but you're looking at 05-'10 Mustang GTs and the modern V6 is quicker around a track than them and cheaper to own to boot, so I'm not really sure what's wrong with it or what you're looking for. You can probably swing a V6 Premium for just under $20k without the performance pack right now.

If you're looking at a Genesis Coupe, they're underpowered before 2013 and the V6 is a high revver, not big torque. Given that transaction prices on loaded V6 2013 Genesis Coupes were around $30k, you're not going to find one for cheap. Your best bet for your long list of wants is probably a Cadillac CTS.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Argentic posted:

Proposed Budget: Under $20,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Subcompact or compact, I like the look of hatchbacks but that's not a "must"
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, about 50 miles round-trip and 1-2 hours in the car depending on traffic
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'd like cruise control and an iPod jack / aux in, I don't need anything else
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, fuel economy

Now that I have a Real Job, I'm looking to replace my hand-me-down 2001 Chevy Malibu with something I can feel more confidence in. I'm basically looking for a "commuter pod," since 90% of the time it'll just be transporting me to and from work. Something relatively compact and comfortable on the highway, because the Malibu feels huge to me and it has uncomfortably light steering over 55-ish mph. The key factor would probably be reliability - I really want a car that I don't need to worry about. I'm okay with basic maintenance but I'm useless at driveway repairs, so something that I wouldn't have to bring into the shop very often would be a big deal for me - especially if it was cheap to fix as well.

Cars I've been considering:
- Ford Fiesta / Focus
- Honda Fit / Civic
- Toyota Yaris / Corolla
- Kia Rio
- Hyundai Accent / Elantra
- Mazda2 / Mazda3
- Nissan Versa Note
- Volkswagen Golf
What would you recommend I look into more? I'm planning to start going for test drives and looking for deals soon, and I'd like to narrow that field down a bit.

I feel like I'm looking at my twin. :v::hf::v: Real Job buddy.

Proposed Budget: Under $20,000, preferably near $16,000.
Body Style: Subcompact or compact.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, about 40 miles round-trip and 1 hour in the car depending on traffic
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Remote start is something I'm getting one way or the other on a new vehicle, Minnesota winters are a bitch.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cheap repairs.

I'm coming from a 2000 VW Jetta VR6; the mileage isn't great and it costs a goddamn fortune anytime anything needs to be replaced, which has been pretty frequent for a car with under 120,000 miles at this age. I am short (5' 3") so perks like highly adjustable seats / wheel / pedals are a definite plus.

Cars I'm Considering:
Kia Rio
Hyundai Accent
Chevrolet Sonic
Honda Fit

Any insights into how these all handle snow / ice would also be much appreciated, keeping my brand new car on the road and not in a snow drift as soon as flakes hit the pavement is important.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 2 is quite small, so if you plan on carting around two dogs of even moderate size, that will be tough.

Compact is a size. You can get a compact sedan or a compact hatchback. Hatchbacks are generally not cheaper than sedans, all else equal - the Focus and Mazda3 hatchbacks are more expensive than their sedan counterparts.

You are prime territory for a gently used Prius. If not that, any modern compact car will be pretty good. If she likes the Mazda2 hatchback, I'd probably suggest the 3 instead, especially if you plan to get it with an automatic transmission.

The missus is very impressed with the Toyota Prius. Is there anything I should look out for specifically with used Prius? I've narrowed my search to 2009 and beyond. I've found one that's near us and fits our price range, but it's the 2009 base version which seems to be an avoid. I've also found another that is a 2010 Prius Four, but it's got over 150,000 miles on it. Honestly, I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed with the sheer amount of options. I do think we'll find a couple of used Prius near us first and see how it drives for her before jumping on a specific car, which is probably the right move.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 2, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

I feel like I'm looking at my twin. :v::hf::v: Real Job buddy.

Proposed Budget: Under $20,000, preferably near $16,000.
Body Style: Subcompact or compact.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, about 40 miles round-trip and 1 hour in the car depending on traffic
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Remote start is something I'm getting one way or the other on a new vehicle, Minnesota winters are a bitch.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cheap repairs.

I'm coming from a 2000 VW Jetta VR6; the mileage isn't great and it costs a goddamn fortune anytime anything needs to be replaced, which has been pretty frequent for a car with under 120,000 miles at this age. I am short (5' 3") so perks like highly adjustable seats / wheel / pedals are a definite plus.

Cars I'm Considering:
Kia Rio
Hyundai Accent
Chevrolet Sonic
Honda Fit

Any insights into how these all handle snow / ice would also be much appreciated, keeping my brand new car on the road and not in a snow drift as soon as flakes hit the pavement is important.

All cars handle snow and ice fine* provided you get snow tires. Get snow tires. My mom, who is tremendously short, got a Subaru XV Crosstrek and thinks its the poo poo. It's basically going to come down to how well you fit in the vehicle. Throw the Ford Focus (Sedan from 17k), Fiesta (from 14k) on your list, the Mazda3 (Sedan from 17k), Chevrolet Cruze ($18k), and Subaru Impreza (starting at 18k). The Fords and Chevy can be quite highly discounted. The accent currently has a $1500 dealer stock incentive on it, so if you buy a car off-the-lot that's a 2014, they will knock $1,500 off the price.

*Anything over 300 hp without AWD excepted, anything on performance tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DTaeKim posted:

The missus is very impressed with the Toyota Prius. Is there anything I should look out for specifically with used Prius? I've narrowed my search to 2009 and beyond. I've found one that's near us and fits our price range, but it's the 2009 base version which seems to be an avoid. I've also found another that is a 2010 Prius Four, but it's got over 150,000 miles on it. Honestly, I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed with the sheer amount of options. I do think we'll find a couple of used Prius near us first and see how it drives for her before jumping on a specific car, which is probably the right move.

Good service records. It should generally be dealer-serviced, ideally. If the battery pack has been replaced, complete records on the replacement.

I'm seeing 2010/2012 Prius Package 2s with about 100k miles in my area on Craigslist for $12k, all day erry day. Plane tickets are cheap; you may want to travel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, you guys know about cars right? I'm not sure exactly where or how I should ask this, so let me know if I need to shift to another thread or something.

After 17 years of driving where I scratched one car once, I managed to wreck my 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT on Friday. I still haven't heard back from anyone, so I am holding out hope that the shop is trying to work some magic math to keep the insurance from totaling it.

If it does get totaled, I'm still on the hook for approximately $1500 to $4000 depending because I am having a very hard time pinning down the value of the thing because I didn't think I would ever need GAP insurance.

Anyway, at the moment I have about ~$1000 - ~$1200 at the moment.

I figure my options are:

- Down payment on a used car and just eat the rest of the old loan over the next year or two.

or

- Just outright buy a car for about that price.

I'm not looking for anything in particular at the moment, just transportation that can get me to and from work regularly without trouble (approximately 14 miles a day). Help me run errands and go into the city a couple times a week (approximately 40 miles at a time). Have a much longer trip every week or two (80 miles). And travel to Maryland to visit my family about twice a year (1200 miles round trip, but could be substituted with a rental if needed). I live between Cincinnati and Dayton, it's a very hilly region, in a pair of river valleys if you're not familiar with it.

Lower maintenance costs and MPG would be a plus. I can do some basic repairs and maintenance on my own, but I live in an apartment, and anything that takes more than 6 hours on a Saturday or needs specialized equipment is out.

I should also point out I have poo poo for credit, so I can't get great loans.

:ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not to be all negative nancy, but you're pretty hosed if they don't fix your car.

1200 dollars won't get you a reliably running car. It will get you a mid 90's beater with a few issues that need to be fixed, but you can just forget about buying a 1200 dollar car and expecting it to reliably get you to work. Back in the day I bought a 1998 Dodge Neon for 1700 and put another 800 worth of work in it (head gasket,seals, brakes, fluids, and some relay). It got me around for about a year until my situation improved with only a few problems (replaced battery, starter, and alternator). Sold it for 1600 cash to someone off Craigslist.

The next problem is securing financing for another car with an existing auto loan. It's unlikely, especially with "poo poo for credit" you'll get an auto loan without satisfying the first one. Not unless you have a co-signer available.

I also have to ask, Why the gently caress didn't you get GAP coverage? If you're upside down on a vehicle at any point in it's life you should have it. My wife's bank charges 299 dollars for the coverage and I've even seen some auto insurance companies offer it with their auto policies.

A trip to the BFC subforum may be in order for additional financial advice.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

skipdogg posted:

A trip to the BFC subforum may be in order for additional financial advice.

This is actually real simple for IC: stop spending money on strippers.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All cars handle snow and ice fine* provided you get snow tires. Get snow tires. My mom, who is tremendously short, got a Subaru XV Crosstrek and thinks its the poo poo. It's basically going to come down to how well you fit in the vehicle. Throw the Ford Focus (Sedan from 17k), Fiesta (from 14k) on your list, the Mazda3 (Sedan from 17k), Chevrolet Cruze ($18k), and Subaru Impreza (starting at 18k). The Fords and Chevy can be quite highly discounted. The accent currently has a $1500 dealer stock incentive on it, so if you buy a car off-the-lot that's a 2014, they will knock $1,500 off the price.

*Anything over 300 hp without AWD excepted, anything on performance tires.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice; my mother had a Cruze as a rental car and she was pretty impressed with it as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Iron Crowned, if you bought that car new in 2009 and are still upside down on the loan, that is shocking. How much do you still owe exactly, and have you looked at comps to figure out exactly what that car with that mileage can be replaced for in your area? Also what is your deductible?

My insurance company surprised me by paying out a little more than I expected when my golf was totaled, but the general rule is that you are likely to be lowballed and you need to be prepared with evidence (that is, copies of listings from craigslist, etc.) to back up an assertion that your car was worth more than they're offering.

Finally, if you only have $1200 in cash, but you had a loan on a 2009 SXT, then you could not afford that SXT. You have just found out why. I'm gonna beat on it in case anyone else is reading: no matter how safely you drive, someone else could always total your car, with or without you being present, and if they do, either your or their insurance is only ever going to offer replacement value at the time of the crash. If you assume that your car will be totaled and you get replacement value, and then factor in what you owe on a loan and the result is small or zero (or especially negative), then you better have money on hand to be able to afford a replacement vehicle.

Otherwise, you basically can't afford the car you're driving and need to sell it.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
Proposed Budget: 20-30k
New or Used: New or certified pre-owned model year 2013 or newer.
Body Style: 2 door
How will you be using the car?: Daily driving and commuting about 30 miles each way.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? It doesn't need to be ultra luxurious, but it has to have at least an aux jack and cruise control.
What aspects are most important to you? Most important to me are MPG and fun to drive.

My hand-me-down 2007 Toyota Matrix just got totaled, and I will be getting somewhere around 6k to put down on a new car. I'm really really in love with the Scion frs due to it's good gas mileage and how extremely fun it is to drive. Driving the rental Nissan Maxima, however, made me really appreciate audio and cruise control in the steering wheel and keyless entry.

Is there anything else in my price range that looks as good and is as sporty as an frs that has a few of the luxury features I'm looking for? Also, general thoughts on the frs would be appreciated.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Proposed Budget: 15k less
New or Used: used
Body Style: sedan v6 or turbo?
How will you be using the car?: way less than 12k annual easy business commuting. I think my office is three miles away. The courthouse is ten.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. I don't listen the radio and I can roll a window down.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost certainty. I don't care about mpg. I want to go fast, fastly

I want to reiterate: I want to go fast.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 3, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k less
New or Used: used
Body Style: sedan v6 or turbo?
How will you be using the car?: way less than 12k annual easy business commuting. I think my office is three miles away. The courthouse is ten.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. I don't listen the radio and I can roll a window down.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost certainty. I don't care about mpg. I want to go fast, fastly

I want to reiterate: I want to go fast.
Newest Corvette you can afford. That's probably a 2004. Maybe you could swing a 5.

Or wait, sedan? 1st gen CTS-V. Bring diffs. Or a STI or evo or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah sedan because of baby car seat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

As mentioned, CTS-Vs are awesome, but the diffs break in the 1st gen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nm posted:

Your going to have to translate diffs break.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nm posted:

Where can you get a 1st gen CTS-V for 15K. I could sell my SHO tomorrow and pick one up and have plenty left over for a few diffs.

edit: Holy crap, I didn't realize the first CTS-V came out in 2004.. good grief I feel old right now.

edit2: drat you nm, this is at my local caddy dealer... I could swing it but my wife might divorce me. CPO 2012 CTS-V Wagon with only 22K miles. 46K.. must resist urge

http://www.cavendercadillac.com/vehicle-details/2012-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-5dr-wgn-6-2l-san-antonio-tx-id-7601984

euphronius posted:

Your going to have to translate diffs break.

The rear differential of the drive train is a known weak point on the car. The car puts out a metric poo poo ton of power and breaks the differential in the rear axle.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 3, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

skipdogg posted:

The rear differential of the drive train is a known weak point on the car. The car puts out a metric poo poo ton of power and breaks the differential in the rear axle.
You can get an upgraded one though and a lot of owners have probably done it.

Also, $15k CTS-Vs are a dime a dozen.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 3, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nm posted:

Also, $15k CTS-Vs are a dime a dozen.

I think you'll find that they're $180,000 a dozen. :colbert:

euphronius posted:

Do you care about safety?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good service records. It should generally be dealer-serviced, ideally. If the battery pack has been replaced, complete records on the replacement.

I'm seeing 2010/2012 Prius Package 2s with about 100k miles in my area on Craigslist for $12k, all day erry day. Plane tickets are cheap; you may want to travel.

Good god. Where do you live, cause I can't find anything of the sort for that price in the Midwest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think you'll find that they're $180,000 a dozen. :colbert:

Do you care about safety?

No, I do not care.

Baby only rides in this car maybe 20 days a year.

Other car is family car, but in an emergency this car needs to be able to transport everyone.

Is a chrysler 200 a total poo poo wagon? It comes in v6.
-----

Sts in my market is over 20k

What about the impala?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 3, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

Is a chrysler 200 a total poo poo wagon?

A thousand times yes. What about a v8 charger? Those are $15k easily, and quick enough.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Is a chrysler 200 a total poo poo wagon? It comes in v6.
-----

Sts in my market is over 20k

What about the impala?

I thought you wanted to go fast. None of these cars are fast, except maybe kinda in a straight line (and even then).
Fast family haulers under $15k in no order:
SRT-8 Charger/300C (But Chrysler build quality. Kinda boaty)
Subaru Legacy GT (slightly exploding motors)
Subaru WRX STI (see above, smaller, but quicker)
Mitsu Lancer Evo (Questionable build quality)
BMW 335i (Exploding fuel pumps. BMW issues)
Audi S/RS4 (LOL service costs)
Mercedes E55 AMG (Makes the Audi look cheap to run, don't buy this)
1st gen CTS-V (Shits diffs)
Mazdaspeed 6 (I know these have some issues in the rear-end, but they were really low volume, so hard to tell)
Mazdaspeed 3 (Engine mounts and not really a sedan. Also torque steer)
Infiniti G37S (Not as AI as the others, but more reliable)
Can you get a G8 GT for $15k?

Cheap, reliable, fast, choose 2.
(Buy the CTS-V. The best cure for fast is an SBC.)

Edit: Holy poo poo, you can get a Pontiac G8 Gt for $15k. Go buy that. It is good enough for Jerry Brown (his is blue), it is good enough for you. V8. Sedan. Australian. SBC. What more could you want? Besides an LS3 and a manual transmission, but that is out of your price range.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 3, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You guys own thank you,

I don't mind boaty.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 3, 2014

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
If I lived back in Canada I would know exactly what I would buy, but since I'm in Germany I'm confused by the options.

Proposed Budget: 15000€
New or Used: Used. I would prefer new except the class of vehicle I want won't fit my budget.
Body Style: mid-size wagon. Need to be able to realistically fit 3 kids in the back row if we end up having a 3rd. Existing kids are 3 and 5 now, and while they can fit in anything at the moment an infant car seat will change that in a hurry.
How will you be using the car?: Commute will depend on my new apartment and the school we find for the kids, but I hope to be able to get away with bike/transit most of the time. Primary use will be road-tripping in Europe, big grocery runs, Ikea trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'd kind of like to have navigation, but it's not a must. That said I covet the BMW 5 series cars.
What aspects are most important to you? Predictable service costs. I don't mind paying to have maintenance done, but I don't want to be stranded and nailed with major repair bills every few months. Wife is also insisting on an automatic transmission, which is a shame since it eliminates 2/3rds of the available market.

Fuel economy is less important because we aren't likely to be high mileage drivers. I'd also like to make sure I have enough guts in the car to pass someone uphill when it's loaded for a family vacation.

There are plenty of cars that fit the profile available, but I'm not sure which are the worst maintenance bombs waiting to happen. I'd also prefer to buy something relatively popular, in case I end up moving back and need to unload it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DTaeKim posted:

Good god. Where do you live, cause I can't find anything of the sort for that price in the Midwest.

Greater Boston. Prius has to be the most popular car around here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

You guys own thank you,

I don't mind boaty.

If you don't mind boaty, Cadillac STS V8.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
All right, giving this a try.

I have $16k in total savings, half from an inheritance.

I'm a relatively new teacher, making $35k per year. I take home $1900 a month after takes and health insurance. My wife is starting a new job soon, but it's at a company that's expanding into a new area and we can't be sure of the level of demand for her services.

Financially I'm in a lot better straights than I might appear, though: no rent, no major bills other than car insurance, but I do need to buy food for 3 adults and 2 kids. I work from home, so my gas expenses are low, but my wife needs to be able to drive around to doctor's offices and patient's houses. I also have to make 3-4 major trips to Atlanta every year due to my job, but I can usually car-pool. We're staying with my father-in-law who isn't bed-ridden, but his attention span wanders enough that he can't do simple things like use the stove, mow the grass, etc. He needs care after my mother-in-law passed away suddenly this May. We aren't saints for living here, but we're trying not to be moochers, either.

We own two vehicles that are pieces of poo poo. I have a 2003 Hyundai Accent that will not shift into overdrive and is losing water somehow. In addition to that, it has all kinds of problems, like two door handles that don't work and a tendency to burn whatever oil I give it. I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette that I basically can't drive anywhere. I think it has a blown head gasket, or maybe a cracked engine block, because it blows out white smoke from the tailpipe and barely goes anywhere without overheating. I paid $4300 for this van last year and we are really pissed about that. Basically, I'm not convinced that anyone would give us anything for them if we tried to sell them privately. I don't have a dealer offer on them yet.

Anyway, we need a vehicle we can trust, as we are sick of asking to borrow my father-in-law's car any time we travel more than a few miles. We cannot have a repeat of the van scenario, where we dropped a decent chunk of change on a car that worked for roughly 3 months.

I want a car that can seat 3 adults and 2 children (one in a car-seat). My father-in-law has an Accord, and I think that'd do nicely for our purposes. I'm also really intrigued by the features on the CR-V, which would give us space to carry our dog as well for longer trips. I think my wife is in love with the idea.

I know what I should be looking to spend around $11-12K, but the whole experience with the van has really soured us on buying cheaper cars. That $19K CR-V looks really tempting, and we could certainly afford to put $13k down on it and finance the rest. The dealer would love that, as our credit is atrocious due to a recent job loss.

I need to be able to convince myself and my wife that we should buy a car we can afford. But there's a whole slew of people around us, people that make significantly more money than us, reminding us that you get what you pay for. And, we have the recent experience of the van in our minds.

Is it really worth it for us to get the car we can afford, right now? Why shouldn't we reach a little higher and get something that we'll trust to give our daughter in 4-5 years when she starts driving?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You paid $4,300 for a Silhouette that was 13 years old?

Run any purchase decisions by this thread before you do a god drat thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Udelar posted:

All right, giving this a try.

I need to be able to convince myself and my wife that we should buy a car we can afford. But there's a whole slew of people around us, people that make significantly more money than us, reminding us that you get what you pay for. And, we have the recent experience of the van in our minds.

Is it really worth it for us to get the car we can afford, right now? Why shouldn't we reach a little higher and get something that we'll trust to give our daughter in 4-5 years when she starts driving?

If your credit is atrocious, don't finance or lease a car ever. Period. Your budget of $11-13k will cover a decent, safe, reliable enough car. Look for standard value recommendations here, like Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra etc. $13k definitely gets you a car that will last the 4-5 years until your daughter starts driving, and then some. The only people who ask advice here and get told "you can't afford a good car" are people who have a $1500 budget.

With a budget that high you can also look at 2004-2009 Priuses, which will go until the end of civilization. You can also afford the go-to "reliable cars" like Civic, Corolla, Accord, Camry, but you will pay a price premium for them used over other alternatives.

Edit: I didn't want to make you feel bad, but if KYOON GRIFFEY JR mentions the van, I'll pile on too. Whoever sold you that exploited you horribly, and may have been aware of the overheating problem. That van was probably worth $1500 in really good mechanical shape, less if anything was broken.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You paid $4,300 for a Silhouette that was 13 years old?

Run any purchase decisions by this thread before you do a god drat thing.

That was the idea behind posting this today.

Twerk from Home posted:

If your credit is atrocious, don't finance or lease a car ever. Period. Your budget of $11-13k will cover a decent, safe, reliable enough car. Look for standard value recommendations here, like Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra etc. $13k definitely gets you a car that will last the 4-5 years until your daughter starts driving, and then some. The only people who ask advice here and get told "you can't afford a good car" are people who have a $1500 budget.

With a budget that high you can also look at 2004-2009 Priuses, which will go until the end of civilization. You can also afford the go-to "reliable cars" like Civic, Corolla, Accord, Camry, but you will pay a price premium for them used over other alternatives.

Edit: I didn't want to make you feel bad, but if KYOON GRIFFEY JR mentions the van, I'll pile on too. Whoever sold you that exploited you horribly, and may have been aware of the overheating problem. That van was probably worth $1500 in really good mechanical shape, less if anything was broken.

A Prius? I've been kind of nervous about buying one, because I've had a feeling that repair shops aren't going to be too friendly or honest with Prius owners. My wife has been in love with that brand since she first saw it and I can probably sell her on one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Udelar posted:

A Prius? I've been kind of nervous about buying one, because I've had a feeling that repair shops aren't going to be too friendly or honest with Prius owners. My wife has been in love with that brand since she first saw it and I can probably sell her on one.

2nd gen Priuses are among the most reliable cars that have ever been built in the history of humanity, and so many of them were sold that anywhere that works on Toyotas will work on one. The transmission, engine, and hybrid system are bulletproof, and brakes last forever because of the hybrid system. The batteries eventually lose most of their capacity and result in lower fuel economy than when new, but the aftermarket has come along and it's not even that expensive to replace battery packs anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Even if you straight up take a Prius for dealer service on everything, TCO is going to be low/reasonable compared to most other cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Udelar posted:

And, we have the recent experience of the van in our minds.

Instead of just being an rear end in a top hat, I'm going to tell you what you should take away from the van experience.

1. Do your homework. The Silhouette is a piece of poo poo even in the best of circumstances; you should never ever buy one.
2. Do price research. Understand what you want to buy and how much it is worth. Edmunds, KBB, NADA are your friends.
3. Get a PPI. Sure, a mechanic might charge you an hour unit ($60-80). Think about how much money you would have saved had you gotten a PPI on your stupid oldsmobile poo poo wagon.

You shouldn't finance anything, because if you have bad credit you will have trouble securing a loan. You will not be able to get an interest rate that is anything other than exorbitant.

Keep in mind that older CR-Vs are actually not very big at all. Get a Prius.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even if you straight up take a Prius for dealer service on everything, TCO is going to be low/reasonable compared to most other cars.

What about an '08 Prius with 104K miles on it? That's basically what I'm seeing in our range and location. They want $12k for it, that seems a little steep for a car that's been ridden so hard.

Also there's one for $12.5K with only 40K miles... and a rebuilt title. I get the feeling I should pass on that one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Udelar posted:

Also there's one for $12.5K with only 40K miles... and a rebuilt title. I get the feeling I should pass on that one.

Never buy a salvage title.

And 104k on an 08 Prius isn't really that much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Udelar posted:

What about an '08 Prius with 104K miles on it? That's basically what I'm seeing in our range and location. They want $12k for it, that seems a little steep for a car that's been ridden so hard.

The 08 is a decent value. You can probably talk them down a bit. If it has good service records, see if the battery has been replaced. This isn't usually an issue; the battery will run up to 300k miles as has been seen on some NYC taxis, but if it's been replaced, make sure it's a quality rebuild or OEM unit.

I might actually take it to a Toyota dealer for a PPI, just because they are going to have the most experience with a hybrid drivetrain and could probably tell you the relative battery life remaining.

Never buy a salvage title. Here are some situations where it is OK to buy a salvage titled vehicle.

1. You did the work yourself (not possible)
2. You know the guy who did the work, it has complete documentation including before during after photos, and you saw the guy do the work.
3. You are planning to build some sort of retarded dune buggy out of the vehicle or otherwise render it wildly unsafe

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 08 is a decent value. You can probably talk them down a bit. If it has good service records, see if the battery has been replaced. This isn't usually an issue; the battery will run up to 300k miles as has been seen on some NYC taxis, but if it's been replaced, make sure it's a quality rebuild or OEM unit.

I might actually take it to a Toyota dealer for a PPI, just because they are going to have the most experience with a hybrid drivetrain and could probably tell you the relative battery life remaining.

Never buy a salvage title. Here are some situations where it is OK to buy a salvage titled vehicle.

1. You did the work yourself (not possible)
2. You know the guy who did the work, it has complete documentation including before during after photos, and you saw the guy do the work.
3. You are planning to build some sort of retarded dune buggy out of the vehicle or otherwise render it wildly unsafe

Well, when my wife actually went to see that '08, it sounded and looked TERRIBLE. No wonder there were no interior photos on the website. There's another '08 about an hour from here that's got a lot fewer miles and is only a bit more expensive. A friend who works near there is going to check it out for us after work.

Maybe we can find something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Udelar posted:

Take that first one a bit lower. I'd wanna be under $10k.
Avoid the salvage title one.
These are extremely common cars, do not be afraid to walk away from one.
Also, I wouldn't be afraid of any year of the 2nd gen prius, though I'd want a discount for the first year as they have a couple more issues (still more reliable than anything else), they're all very well built and age isn't huge factor.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 3, 2014