Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really loving hated the resolution, and it poisoned my impressions of the previous two episodes until I rewatched them. It combines the stupid deus ex machina, the nauseating power of hope and the frustrating total reset endings that are sometimes on this show. It was also just done so stupidly. Everyone is thinking about The Doctor, therefore obviously he gets his regeneration energy back, and gets younger, and starts to fly, and can also deflect laser beams with his hand.
Yeah, the previous episode was really good, and then they ruined it with this one. And not just the DoctorJesus stuff. Jack being the Face of Boe felt like it was really awkwardly shoehorned in there for no reason and is dumb, and I continue to hate the thing about the Master being crazy because of the drums in his head from when he participated in some ritual as a child. Also, he's a wife-beater now? Ugh. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You liked Doctor Jesus? Man, you've got the Who Fever bad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Senor Tron posted:

You liked Doctor Jesus? Man, you've got the Who Fever bad.

I think the only reasonable conclusion here is that Occ is Bad At Television.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
If I calculated correctly, there are 76 episodes + full length specials left to review. Divide that by 2 and you get 38 more weeks of reviews plus Christmas break.
You'll be finished sometime during the Summer. :v:

Then add 41 episodes of Torchwood...

Issaries fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Have you included a full season eight in that?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Yes and the Christmas special as they will be all broadcast this year.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think the only reasonable conclusion here is that Occ is Bad At Television.

Or is better at television than any of us.

I think the fact that Occ originally hated Doctor Who means that he's able to look at it more objectively. Some of us approached the show expecting to like it and treat it more seriously, so the super over the top parts can be annoying. Occ came into it thinking it's all over the top nonsense, so can enjoy it for being that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quakster posted:

Fringe had a crappy episode where a ghost possessed someone. Later on, a main character's ghost possessed someone and it was a huge plot point, but I didn't think it was a cop-out because the show'd already done it before. Establishing stupid bullshit before it becomes important makes it a bit more palatable for sure, ala Chekhov's gun.

Speaking of Fringe, their alternate universe was obviously the Cybus earth from this show.

Which episode was the first ghost possession one? I remember the second with Olivia doing a bad Leonard Nimoy impersonation but not the first.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
It was the unaired episode they aired in Season 2 as filler with the dead guy who could coopt just deceased bodies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rargphlam posted:

It was the unaired episode they aired in Season 2 as filler with the dead guy who could coopt just deceased bodies.

That was a baaaaaaad episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I thought this was a completely different episode. Instead it was the stupid Tinkerbell ending, which Occ somehow liked.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I've already written one and I was gonna simulpost it with this review but I decided I wanted a few more under my belt.

Also Ultimax just came out so I probably won't post it until next week.

POST IT NOW YOU SON OF A BITCH

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I agree with Jerusalem's opinion on Martha. Even Rose (also not a very good companion) got to define herself more with Father's Day and a peripheral cast that had at least some development and attention.

quakster posted:

Fringe had a crappy episode where a ghost possessed someone. Later on, a main character's ghost possessed someone and it was a huge plot point, but I didn't think it was a cop-out because the show'd already done it before. Establishing stupid bullshit before it becomes important makes it a bit more palatable for sure, ala Chekhov's gun.
Yeah that's true, like how John Smith set up Yana nicely. Except I don't think that works so well if the initial one is just part of the random techno-babble that most viewers filter out. I certainly didn't remember it 11 weeks later :shrug:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

God, the Jesus ending. And the, "I forgive you," is just so unbearably smug. The Master killed literally billions of people for fun, and tortured many more, but the Tenth Doctor - the same guy who drowned all those spider-babies for existing and imprisoned the Family of Blood in nightmarish eternal punishments for angering him - decides that this is the guy he'll spare, basically because they're old mates so it doesn't matter if he killed a few lousy people.

I think we're supposed to read it as the Doctor being - I mean, there's no other way to say it - Christlike and benevolent such that he'll forgive even the worst sinner, but read against how capricious and vengeful he's been to earlier villains it's impossible to read as anything other than him making an exception for a fellow member of the Old Boys' Club.

The Master is a war criminal on a scale beyond imagining, utterly unrepentant, takes an open glee in the murder and suffering of others, and more than that his sins aren't the Doctor's really to forgive: the Doctor was kept captive in poor conditions for a year in the secure knowledge that this was part of his plan, but considers it his natural right to forgive the Master for the uncountable numbers of people who were exterminated, enslaved, tortured and eviscerated in the meantime. Not only does he want to forgive him, he'd like to travel around the universe with him and become good friends!

It's pure arrogance, but the framing absolutely wants the viewer to read it as the height of beatific virtue. The whole sequence is Godawful and for my money one of the worst things RTD's ever written.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah that's true, like how John Smith set up Yana nicely.

This is a nitpicky thing and it doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the episode at all, but it has always bugged me... how did the Master conveniently end up with the name Yana, perfectly lined up to work with the "You Are Not Alone" hint?

I guess in some ways, it's a closed loop, as The Face of Boe was around for the reveal as Jack, and so knew what he had to say, but still.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 2, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

thexerox123 posted:

This is a nitpicky thing and it doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the episode at all, but it has always bugged me... how did the Master conveniently end up with the name Yana, perfectly lined up to work with the "You Are Not Alone" hint?

You've got the cause and effect backwards. Jack knew the Master used the name Yana, and so told the Doctor "You Are Not Alone" to try to hint that Yana was the Master. I assume he couldn't tell him outright because then the Doctor might never go to Utopia at all and it would create a paradox.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jurgan posted:

You've got the cause and effect backwards. Jack knew the Master used the name Yana, and so told the Doctor "You Are Not Alone" to try to hint that Yana was the Master. I assume he couldn't tell him outright because then the Doctor might never go to Utopia at all and it would create a paradox.

Yeah... it just works out a bit too conveniently for me, I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well the Doctor didn't go to school with those spider babies or the family of blood.

And yes this episode is so terrible. Jesus Doctor is the worst thing ever to appear in Doctor Who, I hate it more than pavement blowjobs even.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think The Doctor was offering to be The Master's friend, I was interpreting it more as "I will keep him prisoner in the TARDIS and I will try to make him see reason".

And it isn't just that they know each other, there's also the last remaining other member of the species he thought he'd wiped out thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

marktheando posted:

Well the Doctor didn't go to school with those spider babies or the family of blood.

And yes this episode is so terrible. Jesus Doctor is the worst thing ever to appear in Doctor Who, I hate it more than pavement blowjobs even.

Yeah, exactly. He and the Master both went to Space-Eton, so he supposes he can overlook a few silly genocides, don't you know. God. That ending!

I don't think The Doctor was offering to be The Master's friend, I was interpreting it more as "I will keep him prisoner in the TARDIS and I will try to make him see reason".

And it isn't just that they know each other, there's also the last remaining other member of the species he thought he'd wiped out thing.

The Doctor describes it as "I'll have someone to care for", wistfully describes, "all the things we've been through together, you and me," and then there's the whole cradling him in his arms, overcome with grief at his being shot, desperately rooting for him to live bit. The overwhelming impression is that he privileges the life of even the most debased and vile member of his own species over any amount of human lives lost.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 2, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Yeah, and also, The Master is also a Time Lord and could likely figure out a way from Mirror-Tartarus Scarecrow Chain Pit Land. It would probably be safer to lock him up in the TARDIS than risk him being let loose upon the universe and the Doctor has no idea where or when he is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, and also, The Master is also a Time Lord and could likely figure out a way from Mirror-Tartarus Scarecrow Chain Pit Land. It would probably be safer to lock him up in the TARDIS than risk him being let loose upon the universe and the Doctor has no idea where or when he is.

The Master has escaped from being burned alive by an erupting volcano and from being stranded on a planet that will explode in seconds. Frankly, all of the options mean that he's going to get out sooner rather than later.

Which actually brings us to a point raised in the episode that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's a callback to the old show and isn't explained, but it's also a major part of the characterization of the Master in these episodes.

See, originally the Master was played by Roger Delgado as a kind of scifi Bond villain. He was loads of fun and over-the-top and hammy and then he died in a car accident. So the show put the character away for about six years and when he returned it was a really big deal; one of the foundational cornerstones for backstory of the Doctor Who universe. The Master now looked like a skeletal burn victim and was trying to discover how to live forever. His attempts to permanently cheat death became the focus of the next few stories he was involved in and returned as a motivation in several more stories.

Which makes this a really round about way to say, "That's what the Doctor was going on about when he was trying to talk the Master down after the Doctor did the Jesus thing."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
There is another way to look at it, the Doctor offering to be a friend and forgiving him and generally being a better person is the worst possible thing for the Master and in that way the Doctor is torturing him. The Doctor wins AGAIN and you can't do anything about it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I think RTD himself only threw it in because he thought it would make for a great "haha, really?" bit (Martha and the Doctor both consider the idea and humorously reject it) and didn't really think about any long-term implications. Doctor Who fans, being what we are, obsess over the minutiae while RTD seemed to just consider it a fun line/concept to throw out there and then move on to other stuff without a second glance.

So you're saying it's basically concrete blowjob mk.2

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So now I get to post this song from Chameleon Circuit. Pretty much their whole thing is writing songs about Doctor Who set from the characters' (mostly the Doctor's, but this one is from the Master's, and there's a funny one from K-9's) point of view. Some of them are obviously spoilery, so I wouldn't blindly listen to them until you're completely caught up, but this one is one of my favorites and it's about the finale that y'all just finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJWbtCShqo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Oxxipation's Doctor Who Review: I hate it more than pavement blowjobs even

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

marktheando posted:

Pretty much. All three season have had two-parters that started great, but plummeted somewhere during the second episode.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I do like the idea of using the Archangel Network against the Master since it's basically how he managed to do everything he did, but did the Doctor really have to fly across the loving room? I mean really.

But yeah, the Face of Boe reveal is great. Face of Boe is great, Jack is great, shazam, it's the same guy. I just like that.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Jack being the Face of Boe is so, so stupid but in a glorious way. It makes no sense and all too much sense and I love it.

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPYlyQqCD8

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually why not just have the Archangel Network temporarily brainwash The Master to make him release The Doctor? Then at least it's doing something that we already know it can.

Android Blues posted:

The Doctor describes it as "I'll have someone to care for", wistfully describes, "all the things we've been through together, you and me," and then there's the whole cradling him in his arms, overcome with grief at his being shot, desperately rooting for him to live bit. The overwhelming impression is that he privileges the life of even the most debased and vile member of his own species over any amount of human lives lost.
He privileges the only other member of the same species that exists in the entire universe (and possibly his last chance to not be alone), sure. I don't think that's overly strange, a situation as extreme as that is going to massively manipulate your emotions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tempo 119 posted:

So you're saying it's basically concrete blowjob mk.2

Yep. RTD just does things like that, and it's frustrating... but then he delivers so well in other areas, plus his whole time in charge had this wonderful air of enthusiastic craziness. There are many, many legitimate things to complain about the way he ran and wrote the show, but in the end I always come down to the basic fact that (apart from Love and Monsters) I always had a ton of fun watching.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually why not just have the Archangel Network temporarily brainwash The Master to make him release The Doctor? Then at least it's doing something that we already know it can.
He privileges the only other member of the same species that exists in the entire universe (and possibly his last chance to not be alone), sure. I don't think that's overly strange, a situation as extreme as that is going to massively manipulate your emotions.

I don't think it's so much that he lets the Master go (or doesn't kill him) as that he personally forgives him. It's one thing to decide you won't kill the only other survivor of your race. It's another to respond to genocide by saying that though you weren't one of the victims you won't hold it against them, and then acting as if that's the matter concluded.

Of course I can buy it as the Doctor being hugely arrogant and disconnected, except that's clearly not what the script intended. He's meant to be the avatar of human good or whatever, and hopped up on ~the hope of the whole planet~. We're expected to be nodding along in sagely agreement.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I really don't get the people who think it's not in line with the doctor's character. Of course the doctor forgives the master. He's the only other time lord in existence. I mean, not that it's ever been hinted that the doctor might get lonely or anything....

Same thing with the homo-eroticism argument. Sure they act close, but it always seemed way more like a brotherly relationship. They grew up together and even though they disagree entirely on just about everything, they can't get rid of the connection, and underneath it all they love one another, and matter more than people outside their family do. The tone of Their fights always seemed more like brotherly fights than romantic tiff or whatnot too. :shrug:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I read that as "I'm not going to let you drag me down into an endless feud that keeps on loving planets like you just hosed this one". It's pretty clear that the Doctor doesn't propose to let the Master get away with anything he's done: he's still going to give him a life sentence in the TARDIS, and he's going to deny him the satisfaction of being bitter rivals into the bargain.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

With permission from Toxx and from Annakie I'm going to be running

Guess the review game

Excitement! Drama! At least one prize!

You've had three seasons to see what Toxxupation thinks of Dr Who, so nows a chance to show how well you've worked him out. Heres how its going to work, everyone who wants to play sends an e-mail to toxxtorwho@gmail.com with a list of what grades they believe each episode will receive, starting from "Partners in crime" and ending with "End of time pt2" so a total of 18 scores. The deadline to submit this is Toxx putting up his Partners in Crime review.

Each player is then scored on how far away their chosen mark was from the mark given, so if you guess A and Toxx picks A you score 0, if he picks B you score 1 and so on. At the end of the season the person with the lowest score is the winner. First place will win a forums upgrade of their choice from me.

The Rules

1) DO NOT DISCUSS WHAT YOU THINK TOXX IS GOING TO RATE AN EPISODE BEFORE HE DOES! building up or lowering expectations is pretty spoilery in and of itself and ruins the purpose of this thread, don't do it.

2) Don't otherwise try and influence the review/grade. Again it ruins the point of the thread. I've agreed that Toxx, Occ & Annakie have veto privileges as well so if it does start ruining the thread the plug will be pulled.

3) Submissions by e-mail only, definitely not in thread. All submissions in the body text of the e-mail should have the first line being your username then the next line being the grade of the first review and then each next review having a seperate line. e.g if I was really optimistic I might submit:

Little_wh0re
A
A
A

and so on.

I currently plan to put up running scores after each episode but that may change if it feels like its influencing the reviews. If you have a question then i'm pm-able, e-mail-able plus I keep up to date with this and the main Dr Who thread.

Good Luck!

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 3, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'll buy whoever wins this thing a copy of the Greatest Game Ever Made, metal gear rising: revengeance, on Steam

also I have a whole bunch of humble bundle codes i'll give out at litte_wh0re's discretion to other peeps who enter, those codes are:

steamworld dig
gunpoint (<-this game fuckin rules)
gone home
terraria
the swapper (<-this is a game come highly recommended from oxx and me)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Gunpoint does rule

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I should play Gone Home at some point before all the games start to come out about a month from now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

So the Deadline for the Ocxxlottery is monday-ish?

Now to decide, whether I can truly predict Toxxus mind or just send my personal scores in and wear the (probably high) score as badge of honour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's sunday night, Oxx insists we watch 301 together so that means it'll be sunday night

because i sincerely doubt I'll be doing a review on friday night because of smash

• Locked thread