Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Cyron posted:

talking about films, i remember when skyfall came out and daniel craig saying he wouldn't mind his bond falling for a man. of corse there where people freaking out.

Why the hell would people be mad about that. Think of all the new double entendre opportunities!

Richard Sucking, Saddam Ize, Peter O'Frottage, Arse Pounder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

dijon du jour posted:

Why the hell would people be mad about that. Think of all the new double entendre opportunities!

Richard Sucking, Saddam Ize, Peter O'Frottage, Arse Pounder...

Shaft! oh wait...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Tracula posted:

There's still that one really odd and out of place sequence in X/Y about the giant apocalypse that happened and there was some giant weapon that wiped out almost the entire world or something. So I guess there's some merit there for the darker theories?

Pokemon might possibly take place after a huge global conflict, but even if that was true, it doesn't make it grimdark. In the games, people are living happily and peacefully, there's governments, law and order and cities. It's pretty upbeat if that's the case. There was a war, but society recovered, and people have rebulit a new peaceful world. It's pretty optimistic.

Most video game fan theories are really stupid though. Especially most Pokemon ones, but the "Red and Blue is set after a war" thing only helps the series's underlying themes of friendship and working together in peace, really.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cyron posted:

EDIT: I also remember that people freaked out when that nintendo may make Link a female in the new Zelda. i think a female link would be cool honestly even if zelda get kidnap agian

The gimmick for the Zelda game I will never get to make would allow the player to design Link, Zelda, and Ganon how ever they want. Nintendo established that the connection the three of them have repeat over and over across time so why not have them appear differently? Not just through time but alternate worlds.

Puzzle solving would involve having to summon other Links from another dimension to help out. (Other player's Links uploaded to whatever Nintendo server.)

Maybe some puzzles would involve having to summon a particular Link, or are we getting into weird racial undertones?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 3, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
For April Fools one year didn't Nintendo run some cyber punk Zelda thing with Epona being a motorcycle and whatnot? Honestly that'd at least be something interesting to shake up the formula.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know if they even count as critics but wow Cinema Sins is still pedantic and whiny. The Godzilla video they just put up is mostly him whining that Walter White isn't the star and rehashed "GODZILLA'S BARELY IN THE MOVIE" bullshit. Oh and him unironically whining that a 'godzilla movie cares more about civilian drama than godzilla' which has literally always been how godzilla movies have been except for lovely ones like 98's.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know if they even count as critics but wow Cinema Sins is still pedantic and whiny. The Godzilla video they just put up is mostly him whining that Walter White isn't the star and rehashed "GODZILLA'S BARELY IN THE MOVIE" bullshit. Oh and him unironically whining that a 'godzilla movie cares more about civilian drama than godzilla' which has literally always been how godzilla movies have been except for lovely ones like 98's.

This is how almost all monster and many horror films go. Has anyone watched the original Night of the Living Dead? It's literally an interpersonal drama that happens to have zombies sometimes as a plot device.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jsor posted:

This is how almost all monster and many horror films go. Has anyone watched the original Night of the Living Dead? It's literally an interpersonal drama that happens to have zombies sometimes as a plot device.

It's almost like showing a monster, especially a giant one, too much makes it less cool and it's way better to show monsters as more forces of nature that must be endured rather than anything else.

The worst part is I'm positive in some other monster fest movie he's done the exact opposite of "TOO MUCH MONSTER WOW WAY TO RUIN THE MONSTER", he's like a lovely TVTropes user (but I repeat myself) he's just listing common things in movies and clucking his tongue.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And to plug SFdebris again: http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/gojira.php

It's really interesting how the original was all about nuclear war and the dangers of such weapons moreso than anything to do with the giant monster wreaking havoc. Though it makes sense that Japan would be scared shitless of nuclear weapons with what had happened just about a decade earlier :v:.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This mostly sounds whiny and terrible but I really do think killing off Bryan Cranston's character was a bad idea. He was the most interesting and well-acted character in the film, and him dying in the first act did nothing for the film IMO.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jsor posted:

Also, a real-time carpentry lesson.

BreakAtmo posted:

This mostly sounds whiny and terrible but I really do think killing off Bryan Cranston's character was a bad idea. He was the most interesting and well-acted character in the film, and him dying in the first act did nothing for the film IMO.

I agree with you. After Cranston left, all we had left was Sgt. Audience-Insert.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Really though, after the first act, Cranston's character wouldn't have had anything to do. His whole character was "you fuckers are covering up something" and then we find out they were covering up something, so what, are they just gonna have him stand around for the rest of the film saying "told ya so"? He isn't a giant monster scientist like Ken Watanabe, he's a nuclear plant technician who hasn't worked in 20 years.

If anything, I would have had him die outright when the MUTO wakes up, just swatted aside or eaten for the shock value, rather than the weird "Oh... is, is he dead? What?" thing the film did with his death.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I agree with you. After Cranston left, all we had left was Sgt. Audience-Insert.

Uh, also Ken Watanabe, the most quotable character in a movie this decade that doesn't open with the Marvel logo?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
A female Link would be hilarious from the amount of gamers throwing tantrums and screaming :byodood:"ANITA SARKEESIAN HAS RUINED MUH GAMEZ FOREVER!!" :qq:

But then again, people went ape-poo poo over Wind Waker's graphics. :byodood: "MUH ZELDA ISN'T MATURE ANYMORE!!" :byodood:

...You know, it's hard not to see gamers as manchildren sometimes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Violet_Sky posted:

A female Link would be hilarious from the amount of gamers throwing tantrums and screaming :byodood:"ANITA SARKEESIAN HAS RUINED MUH GAMEZ FOREVER!!" :qq:

But then again, people went ape-poo poo over Wind Waker's graphics. :byodood: "MUH ZELDA ISN'T MATURE ANYMORE!!" :byodood:

This just in: nerds are whiny and entitled. Film at 11.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Violet_Sky posted:

I don't know I've seen a lot of Link Rule 63 fanart, way too much for any sane man to handle btw.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Violet_Sky posted:

After playing Hyrule Warriors rather extensively, I do have to wonder why we're still playing as Link, the Hero :geno:, in every new Zelda game and not Zelda, warrior princess :sparkles:/super ninja :ninja:/badass pirate :yarr:/her own priest or whatever she was doing in Skyward Sword. (who do you pray to when you're the goddess everyone prays to??)

Link seriously, I never play as Link anymore cause both Zelda and Sheik are the two most fun characters to play as by a mile.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Link seriously, I never play as Link anymore cause both Zelda and Sheik are the two most fun characters to play as by a mile.

I play as Link... using Lana's Summoning Gate.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

Really though, after the first act, Cranston's character wouldn't have had anything to do. His whole character was "you fuckers are covering up something" and then we find out they were covering up something, so what, are they just gonna have him stand around for the rest of the film saying "told ya so"? He isn't a giant monster scientist like Ken Watanabe, he's a nuclear plant technician who hasn't worked in 20 years.

If anything, I would have had him die outright when the MUTO wakes up, just swatted aside or eaten for the shock value, rather than the weird "Oh... is, is he dead? What?" thing the film did with his death.

I didn't say the solution was to just not kill him and change nothing else. I would've preferred that they kill off his son instead, and have him be the main human character for the rest of the film, struggling to survive/deal with the loss of his son/save the only family he has left (his daughter-in-law and grandson). Not as easy as it sounds though since his son being a military man justified some of the close-to-the-action scenes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

KKall posted:

So of course most nerds won't. It's a matter of intellectual courage vs. intellectual laziness.

He did make a video that was partly about Final Fantasy 7's Cloud Dress segment that sort of goes into that, noticing that a lot of LGBT characters in videogames are either silent cannon fodder or villains.

The problem is that he makes the whole thing so aloof that the point goes to poo poo, specially when you acknowledge a good part of the Evo-Psych poo poo going on in the back. The Game Theory Draw My Life MAKES THIS WORSE as he highlights on just how much content mining and marketing research goes into the videos, making this one of the most self-admitted clickbaity things. Whatever solemn point he makes GOES to poo poo as soon as you realize he's merely looking at marketing trends to decide the next points.

Which is why the 2 minute "How come you loving nerds didn't make me talk about how to get pussy thru Dating Sims" ramble in the start of the Minecraft Creeper video is arguably one of the most blatant examples of this!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

I didn't say the solution was to just not kill him and change nothing else. I would've preferred that they kill off his son instead, and have him be the main human character for the rest of the film, struggling to survive/deal with the loss of his son/save the only family he has left (his daughter-in-law and grandson). Not as easy as it sounds though since his son being a military man justified some of the close-to-the-action scenes.

"Some of the close-to-the-action scenes"? You mean the entire rest of the film? Seriously, the changes to the plot needed to make Bryan Cranston the main character are so fundamental that you're basically suggesting a completely different film.

The purpose of the military focus wasn't just to have the protagonist in scenes with Big G, it was absolutely critical to the movie's whole point (that there are forces humans can do nothing about, and trying often creates more problems than it solves). You can't tell that story if the focus is on just some guy trying to get his family out of the way, at that point you're just remaking Cloverfield.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

After playing Hyrule Warriors rather extensively, I do have to wonder why we're still playing as Link, the Hero :geno:, in every new Zelda game and not Zelda, warrior princess :sparkles:/super ninja :ninja:/badass pirate :yarr:/her own priest or whatever she was doing in Skyward Sword. (who do you pray to when you're the goddess everyone prays to??)

Nintendo's always maddeningly slow and stubborn about changing or adapting in big ways. The Wii U as a product is quite emblematic of that philosophy in and of itself. So when the "female Link" rumours started to fly, Eiji Aonuma couldn't get out there fast enough to say "NO NO NO! WAIT! I DIDN'T MEAN THAT!"

A lot of the more innovative things done with Nintendo IPs lately like Hyrule Warriors have been products of outsourcing. Nintendo would never let Zelda be a playable character themselves, but hand the franchise to Koei Tecmo and suddenly every bloody character in the franchise is playable in the most un-Zelda game Nintendo ever produced.

Yes, insert "Team Ninja Other M joke here."

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

"Some of the close-to-the-action scenes"? You mean the entire rest of the film? Seriously, the changes to the plot needed to make Bryan Cranston the main character are so fundamental that you're basically suggesting a completely different film.

The purpose of the military focus wasn't just to have the protagonist in scenes with Big G, it was absolutely critical to the movie's whole point (that there are forces humans can do nothing about, and trying often creates more problems than it solves). You can't tell that story if the focus is on just some guy trying to get his family out of the way, at that point you're just remaking Cloverfield.

Godzilla-Cloverfield with Bryan Cranston would've been better than what we got IMO. But this is all hindsight-is-20/20 stuff - there's not much wrong with the idea and plot of Godzilla, it's just that the human characters were widely seen as boring and blandly acted, except for Cranston's. And I say that as someone who really enjoyed the film.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot of the more innovative things done with Nintendo IPs lately like Hyrule Warriors have been products of outsourcing. Nintendo would never let Zelda be a playable character themselves, but hand the franchise to Koei Tecmo and suddenly every bloody character in the franchise is playable in the most un-Zelda game Nintendo ever produced.

Isn't it ironic that of all things Dyansty Warriors brought a fresh spin to Zelda?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kunster posted:

He did make a video that was partly about Final Fantasy 7's Cloud Dress segment that sort of goes into that, noticing that a lot of LGBT characters in videogames are either silent cannon fodder or villains.

The problem is that he makes the whole thing so aloof that the point goes to poo poo, specially when you acknowledge a good part of the Evo-Psych poo poo going on in the back. The Game Theory Draw My Life MAKES THIS WORSE as he highlights on just how much content mining and marketing research goes into the videos, making this one of the most self-admitted clickbaity things. Whatever solemn point he makes GOES to poo poo as soon as you realize he's merely looking at marketing trends to decide the next points.

Which is why the 2 minute "How come you loving nerds didn't make me talk about how to get pussy thru Dating Sims" ramble in the start of the Minecraft Creeper video is arguably one of the most blatant examples of this!

Game theory videos (that aren't just :spergin: calculations) usually start of nicely and grounded somewhere but derail after a certain point or are just really stupid things that would get laughed of the fan theory reddit.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Kunster posted:

This is the sort of content I hope an actual critic of some kind goes and talks about. The way 'market forces' still have an effect on the very content people make and consume, dancing around some theoretical idea of what gaming culture 'is' based on a demographic everyone voluntarily adopts. It's just so milquetoast, like "oh, here's a dumb theory about a game you like. How intriguing! Makes you think, doesn't it? Don't think about why I'm making this video five seconds after a related topic mysteriously got popular!" The internet allows tremendous creative freedom, as long as you do pander to the same thing as everyone else. Have the game theory people made one about five nights at freddy's yet, or was the twist behind that one too obvious?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know if they even count as critics but wow Cinema Sins is still pedantic and whiny.

I am shocked. No but seriously thanks for saving me from having to check.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

At least the calculations are kinda fun on the sense that it's hard to gently caress that up, and some of the stuff is kind of neat. On the other hand he uses this to make multiple videos on why we should give PewDiePie all the awards for making videogames better, which pair of videogame tits are fake and which are real, and to tell you that Rosalina is the daughter of Luigi and Peach.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Kunster posted:

At least the calculations are kinda fun on the sense that it's hard to gently caress that up, and some of the stuff is kind of neat. On the other hand he uses this to make multiple videos on why we should give PewDiePie all the awards for making videogames better, which pair of videogame tits are fake and which are real, and to tell you that Rosalina is the daughter of Luigi and Peach.

The morph ball and gold armor ones are pretty good.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Since both are usually tinkering with said ":spergin:" calculations! Like I said, hard to gently caress up those!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

What's ironic is that those are the ones that doesn't really have any theories in them. Hell, the morph ball one actually disproves the theories.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Zeether posted:

Brad's Can't Stop The Music review is hilarious.

This got said shortly after the Pokemon apocalypse and just before Godzilla's Morph balls and it needs to be repeated.

"This films getting pretty gay, Bro..." :xd:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Here are the bloopers from that review: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/the-bros-bloopers

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny to see people arguing about the quality of Godzilla when it was probably the worst movie I saw this year. Incredibly bad acting and totally by-numbers action "plot".

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

loving nerds, we will never be satisfied.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's funny to see people arguing about the quality of Godzilla when it was probably the worst movie I saw this year. Incredibly bad acting and totally by-numbers action "plot".

I was very excited for Godzilla before release, but now that summer is over, there were a lot of movies this summer that surpassed it. I still liked Godzilla for what it was, a movie that held to the Godzilla formula, and I feel did it well. With all that, Edge of Tomorrow was better, Planet of the Apes was better, Guardians of the Galaxy was better, The Drop was better. I don't go to that many movies, so the only movies I have gone to recently that I can completely say was worse than Godzilla was ASM 2 and No Good Deed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's funny to see that people have different reactions and opinions to you?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's funny to see that people have different reactions and opinions to you?

Yeah dude, 'cus it's so hard to figure out where they are coming from.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

'The acting was bad' is such an odd criticism to me. All the actors did a good job of playing their specific characters. So what, are the characters themselves bad? By what metric? So the guy with strained familial relations and the traumatic loss of his own mother is a little withdrawn and channels this stuff into 'stopping bombs', and he's 'boring' because he's not a madman crazyperson like his father became? Filmmaker Gareth Edwards did not forget to tell his lead actor how he was supposed to act - he acted in a way completely befitting the character.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's the same problem I see with film, trying to disect or discuss popcorn films or other blockbusters suddenly becomes "Ugh, stop being a pretentious dick and just enjoy the movie. Turn your brain off!". (Note: I love the poo poo out of popcorn movies)

Speaking of film, have you given any thought to some horror films this Halloween? Perhaps some of the newer extreme French horror films such as Martyrs or Inside?

Nope. No Halloween-themed reviews this year. I'm saving late October for Gerry: Redux

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Brad and Jake review Left Behind starring Nic Cage

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

'The acting was bad' is such an odd criticism to me. All the actors did a good job of playing their specific characters. So what, are the characters themselves bad? By what metric? So the guy with strained familial relations and the traumatic loss of his own mother is a little withdrawn and channels this stuff into 'stopping bombs', and he's 'boring' because he's not a madman crazyperson like his father became? Filmmaker Gareth Edwards did not forget to tell his lead actor how he was supposed to act - he acted in a way completely befitting the character.

It all comes down to motivation, ie he had none, or at least nothing powerful. "Stop Godzilla, save family" is about as deep as his motivation gets, and he isn't very compelling because of it. That's also why people liked Bryan Cranston's character so much, he was driven, he had something he was deeply motivated to act on, he had a reason to be where he was and a reason to get where he's going. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, not so much, he was just kinda there. Literally all of his scenes could have him airbrushed out and replaced with a random solider and it'd have no impact on the film.

Honestly, Godzilla is not a great film, but I will say it has some of the most gorgeous shots I've seen in a blockbuster this year. The HALO jump is an obvious highlight, but there are so many others, a personal favourite being the one with the train on fire emerging from the mist, which honestly makes no sense in context but looks fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yeah dude, 'cus it's so hard to figure out where they are coming from.

If someone told me that The Cat in the Hat was secretly a brilliant movie, I'd be more interested than amused.

• Locked thread