Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

theshim posted:

So, is Dio

- a psychotic ringmaster?
- the leader of the Myrmidons?
- a hero sent from far away?
- an alien?
- a giant bag of dicks?

Who knows?!

I'm going with delusional insane man, possibly being manipulated by someone into thinking he's actually a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

You pretty much need a perfect total lunar eclipse for a red moon, otherwise the spillover white light from the sun drowns out the color.

What if the nineth lion ate the sun?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

RoeCocoa posted:

What if the nineth lion ate the sun?

Pluto, why!? :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theshim posted:

So, is Dio

- an alien?
- a giant bag of dicks?

Who knows?!

-a vampire plotting world domination.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You're all so close to figuring out that the NGAE is an elaborate plot to get Pluto reinstated as a planet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

curiousCat posted:

But where did Dio put his hat? :ohdear:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
No matter where he goes or what he does, Dio must always go in style. That is excellent.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so loving glad someone drew that before I was forced to do the same thing with very, very bad editing skills.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

theshim posted:

So, is Dio

- an alien?
- a giant bag of dicks?

Who knows?!

Klearly, he's a killer klown from outer space.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Lichtenstein posted:

Klearly, he's a killer klown from outer space.

Or Dio is just actually a parasitic entity that looks like a hat and controls whatever body it's on

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Or Dio is just actually a parasitic entity that looks like a hat and controls whatever body it's on

Dio... A monster of some sort masquerading as a human...

Oh my god!

Dio is an avatar of Odio!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Countdown until the entire facility detonates in 3... 2...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I almost think watching people react to this is more fun than playing the game yourself.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

If the entire base was a hyperbaric chamber and Phi can Jump Good in it, what are the odds no one can find Quark because no one thought to look up?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I still refuse to entertain the notion that nobody noticed for the past 20 hours that we're in one-sixth Earth's gravity, and if that turns out to be the twist with no further explanation, I am going to lose all suspension of disbelief.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I almost think watching people react to this is more fun than playing the game yourself.

Eh, there's nothing better than when you realize everything for the first time.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Really, it seems pretty simple. They're in a desert, and that's Luna shining all red there in the sky. It's not like the Earth doesn't have really barren looking places like that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

I still refuse to entertain the notion that nobody noticed for the past 20 hours that we're in one-sixth Earth's gravity, and if that turns out to be the twist with no further explanation, I am going to lose all suspension of disbelief.

I've been wondering about this, too. But doesn't the radical six virus screw up peoples' perception of time? By a factor which would fit right in with 1/6th gravity? Maybe everyone in the game is infected.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It would also have to screw up people's perception of the weight of objects for it to be viable. But really, the 'lunar eclipse' theory seems to make a lot more sense, putting us on Earth looking at the moon, not somewhere else.

Given the chromatic doors and color being part of the game, I wonder if the red is meaningful in that sense. Somewhat related, have we seen a lion being specifically pointed out as being green yet? I think most of them have been orange. (The lion devouring the sun is traditionally shown as green, and thought to be ferrous sulfate.)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've been wondering about this, too. But doesn't the radical six virus screw up peoples' perception of time? By a factor which would fit right in with 1/6th gravity? Maybe everyone in the game is infected.

Quick nakpin math shows that at first glance 1/6th gravity acceleration can be masked by the time perception fuckery caused by radical 6. There's still no bloody way to not notice losing 5/6ths of your own body weight, even under radical 6.
Just to make an example, every time somebody took off at a dead run they'd have to break the long jump olympic record with every step. How many times did we have to run around like headless chickens? How come we didn't notice we cleared 9+ meters with a single stride?

To sum everything, we're clearly on the Moon, despite it clearly making no sense, because the square root of 6 is a bit too specific a number and if VLR is anything like 999 the more the writers try to be smart the worse they'll faceplant.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Maybe everyone has Radical 6 already and the entire complex was built to mask that, so they all wouldn't go insane, and now that they're outside everything is appearing redshifted.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Except we had that one path where Sigma showed Radical-6 symptoms toward the end, meaning he didn't have it before then and he would have noticed if all of the others did. Unless that was the point where he caught some advanced form of the disease: Radical-36, which is 6, which is 9 upside-down, which is the number of lives a cat has.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

RoeCocoa posted:

Except we had that one path where Sigma showed Radical-6 symptoms toward the end, meaning he didn't have it before then and he would have noticed if all of the others did. Unless that was the point where he caught some advanced form of the disease: Radical-36, which is 6, which is 9 upside-down, which is the number of lives a cat has.

Meow purrifying! I purr hope that isn't the catse.

I'm sorry.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Omobono posted:

Quick nakpin math shows that at first glance 1/6th gravity acceleration can be masked by the time perception fuckery caused by radical 6. There's still no bloody way to not notice losing 5/6ths of your own body weight, even under radical 6.
Just to make an example, every time somebody took off at a dead run they'd have to break the long jump olympic record with every step. How many times did we have to run around like headless chickens? How come we didn't notice we cleared 9+ meters with a single stride?

To sum everything, we're clearly on the Moon, despite it clearly making no sense, because the square root of 6 is a bit too specific a number and if VLR is anything like 999 the more the writers try to be smart the worse they'll faceplant.

Phi has clearly demonstrated amazing jumping ability; maybe it's due to gravity instead of superhuman abilities.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Phi has clearly demonstrated amazing jumping ability; maybe it's due to gravity instead of superhuman abilities.

But only her? Nobody else has jumped like that, and none of the typical sci-fi explanations make sense. The simplest argument against the group noticing is that everyone else grew up on the moon (or another similar low-gravity area), but Sigma was clearly captured on Earth, and we know that Clover at a minimum was also from there. Everyone being a clone and controlled by other consciousnesses or something also fails that test, since the minds of those who grew up on earth would remember the forces used. The only remote chance for that to make sense is everyone being a robot and consciousnesses going in/out (and whatever calibrations being made to not notice), but that's just too wacky for a game that makes you want to feel like you should have been able to see things coming... and I doubt robots would bleed bloody blood from being stabbed

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, I really don't know why people're still clinging to the "they're on the moon" thing. There're far too many things going against it, including the fact that we saw the moon in this last update.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kaja Rainbow posted:

we saw the moon in this last update.

Ahh, but did we?

Disclaimer: I have no horse in this race.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ghostwoods posted:

Ahh, but did we?

Disclaimer: I have no horse in this race.

If it isn't the moon, why is the earth red?!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

But only her? Nobody else has jumped like that

Well, we haven't seen anybody try yet, have we? Nobody's tried to imitate her and failed. Of course, this doesn't invalidate the rest of your argument, but still.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It'd be awesome if we are on the moon looking at the earth, but Sigma is just colorblind with something like Tritanopia and it isn't actually red at all

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sentient Data posted:

It'd be awesome if we are on the moon looking at the earth, but Sigma is just colorblind with something like Tritanopia and it isn't actually red at all

That's not a moon, it's Santa.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Onmi posted:

If it isn't the moon, why is the earth red?!
Why does the moon being red make more sense than the Earth?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

maswastaken posted:

Why does the moon being red make more sense than the Earth?

Because the moon goes red (to varying degrees) during a lunar eclipse (check it out!), and according to the magazine they found in the lounge(?), there was meant to be a lunar eclipse a few days after Sigma was kidnapped.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

smenj posted:

Because the moon goes red (to varying degrees) during a lunar eclipse (check it out!), and according to the magazine they found in the lounge(?), there was meant to be a lunar eclipse a few days after Sigma was kidnapped.
That doesn't answer the question.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bruceski posted:

That's not a moon, it's Santa.

Santa seemed surprised to find out that he was actually the moon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

maswastaken posted:

Because the Earth doesn't do that. The Earth's shadow covers the moon, but when standing on the moon its shadow is just a spot on the Earth. And when the Earth has a lunar eclipse, the Moon has a solar eclipse.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

maswastaken posted:

Like the guy above said, you'd see a solar eclipse (i.e. an object, in this case the Earth, blocking the sun) if you were to view the Earth from the Moon during a lunar eclipse. The only reason the Moon goes red during a lunar eclipse is because the light from the sun which bounces off the Moon and reaches our eyes is mostly blocked by the Earth, since it's between the Moon and the sun. The only light which does reach us from the Moon first passes through a large stretch of the Earth's atmosphere, which causes the light to scatter. Shorter wavelengths of light (i.e. blueish light) are more likely to be scattered, and so the only light that actually reaches you is of a longer wavelength (i.e. reddish light). Hence the Moon looks red from Earth, but Earth doesn't look red from the Moon.

smenj fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 6, 2014

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Satisfactory answer. Not the moon it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No reason why we couldn't be on the moon if something had happened on Earth that could have caused it to appear red. Alice did bring up the possibility of a virus being used as a bioweapon, and we're already aware of radical-6 that has at least infected two or three people in the facility over the various routes. Consider that we've found cold sleep pods as well, which could easily have been used for space travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

ApplesandOranges posted:

No reason why we couldn't be on the moon if something had happened on Earth that could have caused it to appear red.

Nobody has accidentally stumbled awkwardly and careened across the room due to trying to run in one-sixth Earth's gravity. Nobody has noticed that anything that falls takes an order of magnitude longer than normal to get there, or that the slightest effort can launch us towards the ceiling of any room. Nearly every aspect of moving and experiencing the world around us would be different if we were secretly on the moon.

There are so many reasons we shouldn't be on the moon that I'm astounded that we're still even discussing it.

• Locked thread