Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah, Life is Feudal has been on Steam for all of two weeks. Forget whatever those other games are, that's a 25% discount on something neat that just came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cathair posted:

If you ever think you can't max out any given GPU setup, find the most graphically demanding games you have and try downsampling them. It looks great and has exponentially increasing performance requirements at the same time! :v:

Shadow of Mordor has built-in downsampling options, which is pretty drat cool, even though I don't think I have the power to run it. I've never seen native downsampling in a game before.

The Witcher 2 has it, I believe. I think it's called 'ubersampling'.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ddraig posted:

I believe Remember Me has a similar option, although it's been a while since I've played it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RBA Starblade posted:

After AC3 I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about the modern day stuff anymore and just powered through it as fast as possible to get back to the real plot, about a man trying his hardest to escape the plot of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag only to have it tragically catch up to him.
In a hilarious twist I would argue the Black Flag main plot with the pirates is probably the best one they had, although Ezio's trilogy just beats it out for me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The coolest part of Ezio's story was in Assassin's Creed 2 and as how the story progressed there were rather subtle changes to Ezio's character model and even the animations, I think. He goes slowly from a rowdy teen brawling in the streets to a rather grizzled, distinguished man with scars and slightly graying hair and moves more purposefully.

It's one of those little features that made it such a good game.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Huh, so it does! I never knew what ubersampling actually was, just that at the time it couldn't be run at what I'd call acceptable framerates without SLI, though that may have changed by now. Google still can't provide a clear description of how ubersampling works relative to other forms of AA, but some say it involves 4xSSAA.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, Life is Feudal has been on Steam for all of two weeks. Forget whatever those other games are, that's a 25% discount on something neat that just came out.
Is it any good? I definitely see the potential but haven't really read any firsthand opinions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Assassin's Creed: Women's Suffrage

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Blockstorm has a demo :siren:
It feels like what money-infused Ace Of Spades should of been instead of what Jagex pumped out. Having said that, you can still play the old Classic alpha Ace Of Spades

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
I agree, the Ezio who brawls with his brother at the early stages is far removed from the end game protagonist. In a good way. Just makes 3 seems more hollow, and while 4 was a great Jack Sparrow romp, it would have been a more embiggened experience without the Asscreed plot...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Ohvee posted:

Is it any good? I definitely see the potential but haven't really read any firsthand opinions.

There's a thread for it that's not moving real fast but should provide some insight on its current state and future plans. tehsid has also posted impressions of in this thread... he's the only person I know on Steam who has it, but he's played it a fair bit.

tehsid posted:

Guys.. GUYS.

Life is Feudal isn't awful.

Its not worth $39.99 USD in its current state, its very early access. But its a no low fantasy Rust-like survival game, and its already fun.
If you're insane like me, and have cash to burn, give it a go. If you're even remotely likely to regret buying an Early Access game at that, or any price, don't touch it.

But for those of you who do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

tehsid posted:

Re: Life is Feudal.

Its very alpha, very slow going. The devs have been good updating quickly which is nice and I hope that keeps up.

I've put in 10 hours and enjoyed it so far, even with this crashing and the slow pacing. My friend who plays with me has put in 24 hours in 3 days. He loves it.

You need people to play with. You'll hate the game alone because you can't do it all yourself. Skills are slow to progress and you can't master them all. So find a town and join them, see what they need. Or get a few friends and work out what rolls you all want to progress in. If you've played or know about Wurm Online, you know what you're in for.

It's not worth the $39.99 until you can put with the the jank and are willing to take the early access risk. Otherwise there is fun to be had.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
can anyone recommend any cool steam groups that i can see activity from and laugh

any curators work too, freak futanaris waifu group is dope

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Manac0r posted:

I agree, the Ezio who brawls with his brother at the early stages is far removed from the end game protagonist. In a good way. Just makes 3 seems more hollow, and while 4 was a great Jack Sparrow romp, it would have been a more embiggened experience without the Asscreed plot...

The weird thing is that it only seems to apply to Ezio, so his sister and mother stay the same age.

also they don't bother changing up what they're doing so apparently Ezio's mother has been praying for 20+ years.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Drifter posted:

Assassin's Creed: Women's Suffrage

what, and bankrupt Ubi with the cost of all those female models and assets?

(I do agree would be cool)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wild West AC would be killer. Hijack this train and assassinate this dude, OR plant explosives on the bridge and just send the entire bridge into the chasm

Start a saloon fight and kill your target in the middle of the chaos

Assassinate one of these people that is in a sundown duel

Tail some outlaws to a bank robbery and then pose as a teller and knife em

Your target's in the middle of a gold rush, sneak through this cave and kill him or plant explosives and bring the whole cave down

This is like that Wild West XCOM idea someone had a few days ago.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They also suggested the Summer of Love as a time period and I have no idea how they'd pull that off but I'd love to see them try

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

They also suggested the Summer of Love as a time period and I have no idea how they'd pull that off but I'd love to see them try

The 27 club were all elite assassins that got too close to the truth.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I hated the repetitiveness of AC. It's all go to x, maybe sneak around a bit and kill y. Add some collectables into the mix and that's all there is to do. I'm guessing Mordor is similar but I'd like someone to confirm/deny?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

computer parts posted:

This is like that Wild West XCOM idea someone had a few days ago.

You just reminded me that there are two Wild West XCOMs that I've seen recently, one on Steam right now and one in development on Kickstarter, and for the life of me I can't remember what either one is called.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of stealing great ideas from other games, I forget who said it, but I saw on twitter someone proposing using something similar to Shadow Of Mordor's Nemesis system in a 1930s prohibition-era Mobster setting. Instead of Orcs, imagine Jumping Jimmy The Axe at a speakeasy, beat him to within an inch of his life and tell him to go tell his boss that you're coming for him.

While sharing this idea, my brother also added an amazing typo: 1930s Monsters, which spiralled into a discussion about how it would be the best thing ever. Hunting down Fishman Frankie down at the docks and sending his head on a sushi-platter to his (underwater) gang, while the Wolfmen move in down from the park district, and the vampires start a campaign of drive-bys by night.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eruonen posted:

I hated the repetitiveness of AC. It's all go to x, maybe sneak around a bit and kill y. Add some collectables into the mix and that's all there is to do. I'm guessing Mordor is similar but I'd like someone to confirm/deny?

Nah, imagine an AC game where they reduce the plot down to 20 missions that are basically tutorial missions, and then spend the rest of the time focusing on really indepth and reactive assassinations. You build up actual relationships with your targets, they remember you and taunt you, you build up a secret army, all sorts of poo poo that is WAY more fun than a scripted mission where you climb a tower and then stab them. It's way more sandboxy than any AC game, although the basic blocks are all still there.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, imagine an AC game where they reduce the plot down to 20 missions that are basically tutorial missions, and then spend the rest of the time focusing on really indepth and reactive assassinations. You build up actual relationships with your targets, they remember you and taunt you, you build up a secret army, all sorts of poo poo that is WAY more fun than a scripted mission where you climb a tower and then stab them. It's way more sandboxy than any AC game, although the basic blocks are all still there.

I think future games in the similar vein (open world/sandbox) will feel empty without the Nemesis system. I think it's a huge ground-breaking feature in gaming. Almost as important as what GTA 3 did from GTA2. It's only potential drawback is if it starts to repeat. I'm only 4 hours in, but from what I've heard, it's pretty extensive. I think the new Batman game is supposed to have it, so I'm super psyched for it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

This would be an amazing way to remake the original AC. I can't help but think this is what they were originally intending, given how AC1 is laid out, and just didn't have the tech to pull it off.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd love for the Assassin's Creed games to one day go more sandbox. I love the idea of the games but the terrible plots and plot missions just drag the experience down. Even the best one, AC2, really dragged in parts. Let me roll a character and go screwing around in your awesome historical locations.

I couldn't believe they added a bit in AC4 where you slowly follow a ship in your pirate ship. It felt like an AC parody.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
A couple of non-related questions:

a) I am interested in Child of Light, but I am concerned with these DLC packs - what are these things? It sounds as if they grant some additional abilities/characters, but not only they are not discounted, this seems like an awful way to nickel-and-dime consumers. I might as well wait for a GOTY edition that will inevitably include all of these things;

b) speaking of GOTY editions, what would be the advantage of picking up Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition if I already own the main game and its DLC? Any specific improvements or content I can only experience in the Definitive Edition?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DoctorOfLawls posted:

a) I am interested in Child of Light, but I am concerned with these DLC packs - what are these things? It sounds as if they grant some additional abilities/characters, but not only they are not discounted, this seems like an awful way to nickel-and-dime consumers. I might as well wait for a GOTY edition that will inevitably include all of these things;

You can ignore all of the DLC. Leaving aside what is basically microtransaction bullshit for the harder modes, the three "big" ones are two cosmetic DLCs that also give a couple of extra abilities for the main character that you won't be missing during the game, and an extra character that is probably the only one worth having but even then sort of debatable since he won't mesh with the story directly.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hey so I found out that even though I bought Trials Fusion through the steam storefront it doesnt pull times from my steam friends list because gently caress uplay.

If anyone cares enough to do it please add me to your dumb uplay friends so i can have some ghosts. My dumb uplay username is this dumb thing: guest-8pGknFM0

add it please so i can play dumb ubisoft thing with virtual ghosts because no online multiplayer

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The way everyone talks up that Nemesis system seems like everyone is deluding themselves. God drat, if it's as neat as you all say I'm gonna be excited to check it out.

I honestly can't help but think it's not, especially considering how indiefag people get about games sometimes. I remember people talking about how 'deep' Skyrim and the like was and poo poo.

I'm about 80% excited though.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Which Crusader Kings 2 DLC are mandatory?

Also is there a Postal 2 megathread? If not I just wanted to ask what settings regarding corpse population and bystander population are nominal on a good current gen computer? The game is fun as hell but crashes way more than I remember, probably because my old computer was such a piece of poo poo I had to keep those settings low.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DoctorOfLawls posted:

speaking of GOTY editions, what would be the advantage of picking up Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition if I already own the main game and its DLC? Any specific improvements or content I can only experience in the Definitive Edition?

Not much info has been released about it, supposedly the big change is touched up graphics, so unless you really want Wei Shen in higher fidelity, not really missing much.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Drifter posted:

The way everyone talks up that Nemesis system seems like everyone is deluding themselves. God drat, if it's as neat as you all say I'm gonna be excited to check it out.

I honestly can't help but think it's not, especially considering how indiefag people get about games sometimes. I remember people talking about how 'deep' Skyrim and the like was and poo poo.

Well, look at it like this. The Nemesis system is at worst an inoffensive way to give your random fights more flavor by allowing captains to remember what has happened, sometimes survive your attempts and get scarred/grow in power in the process, and set up monsters that plague you because your personal style gets countered by their special abilities.

It's not the Second Coming, but it is a cool addition on top of the solid combat engine which makes the game better for its inclusion.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

The thing with it is that as everything is random and procedurally generated, it's possible to end up with a small swarm of total scrub orcs that you just end up killing and never really seeing anything cool happening, especially if you play really efficiently. It CAN be underwhelming if the dice don't fall right, and that's just how any random system is.

And then you get situations like mine. I had just killed one of the five Warchiefs, and was standing atop the highest tower in Mordor. Suddenly, I hear 'GOT YOU!' behind me, and the game introduces a scrawny little captain called Tugrum The Catcher. I promptly kick his arse, then throw him head-first off the top of the tower. The game tells me he's dead. Cool.

About half an hour later, I'm just tooling around and setting some grunt orcs on fire, when Tugrum turns up again out of nowhere with a steel skull-plate. He informs me that if that fall couldn't kill him, I have no chance. So I stab him about twenty times. Kill confirmed.

Another hour later, he appears AGAIN. This time with most of his head held together with burlap, staples and string in addition to the metal plate. He vows to kill me for what I did to his face. I attempt to repeat my previous performance, but find out that he's learned to parry just about every attack I throw at him. I get overconfident, he knocks me down, and I flub the last-chance survival QTE. He kills me.

He gains a level. While I'm dead and regenerating, he rises up to the next rank. I decide that I'm going to be proactive about this, and hunt him down. He's in the middle of a camp, but I've got the advantage here. I swan-dive off a high platform to stealth insta-kill him. He grabs me out of the air, throws me to the ground, and then I discover that not only is he immune to assassination, but he's learnt the 'Inspiring leader' perk, causing all the 30+ nearby orcs to attack simultaneously, rather than one at a time.

From this point, I go into a failure spiral. I attempt to evade him, but he has the 'Tracker' perk that means he'll literally hunt me across half of goddamn Mordor. I can't take him head on, because he can wreck me. During one of my failed attempts to ambush him, he ends up gaining five levels all at once, because he's somehow picked up the Monster Slayer ability too, leading him to killing four big monsters AND me in a single brawl.

He's level 24 now, and is pretty much an Orcish hybrid of The Terminator and Pyramid Head. And he hates me. All I can do is run. I've never hated an enemy in a game more than this loving Orc. His entire life seems to be a never-ending quest to piss in my cornflakes. Yes, I loathe him even more than those goddamn agitating skeletons in Doom 2.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 3, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NeoSeeker posted:

Which Crusader Kings 2 DLC are mandatory?

Not mandatory but those add a bunch of stuff: Legacy Rome, Old Gods, Sword of Islam. You can pretty much ignore the rest since it's not like you will ever run out of CK2 content from the base game and those DLC packs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I love when I find games to be hyped for moments before their release. I found out about Shadows of Mordor 3 days before it came out, and I happily pre-ordered it.

The one thing I read about it was how the nemesis aspect annoyed this one journalist in Polygon because it kept having these "annoying unskippable 10 second cutscenes". I figured, as long as combat was fun, I would enjoy this game.

Not only is combat fun, but I look forward to certain encounters, when they've been enough of an issue for me that I want to hear them. Or, as mentioned before, when someone I thought was dead comes back, and yells at me. Also, I at times make it a personal goal to strike a captain before he has a chance to taunt me or announce himself.

One thing I have to say about this game, that I don't think anyone has given credit to, is the musical cues. Everything from sneaking, to stealth kills, to combat, to caragon riding, to captain and warchief encounters. I haven't watched many recent movies but the way music shifts to the tone and adds those wonderfully tense moments right before critical moments in a large brawl: this game really has the ability to make every moment seem cinematic, and I really appreciate that.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Eh, forget it, all 7-8 DLC for Crusader Kings are like 16 bucks and what I guess are the low content ones cost a dollar.

As far as I can tell Crusader Kings is more Micro whereas Europa is way more macro. It's a shame you can't combine those two and come out with something entirely way too complex, or like Civ.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

Based on your track record, I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed :P

Maybe I'm easy to impress, but when an enemy I've battled before comes back at me, using voice acted dialog that's specific to what happened and showing graphical evidence of that on his face/body, I'm super impressed, and find it very revolutionary.

Edit - or read Dominic's post a few above mine :)

Edit #2 VVV Or that VVV :)

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

There was one fucker who became my nemesis and gained immunity to almost everything, so my only chance to kill him was wait. There was a event duel between him, level 20, and some random captain, level 5 so I crashed it, smacked around my nemesis to keep him off balance while the other captain wailed on him, brought him down, then I brutally killed the victor and took my spoils from both of them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drifter posted:

Here's the thing. When it works, it's actually really emergent/great. Every Orc in the game is apparently cached somewhere, so it'll pull from people who knew you before they became Captains/were already Branded by you. And this is on top of the sheer emergent gameplay, from rear end in a top hat superbosses appearing midmission to wreck you, to gangs of roving Captains trying to put you down, to a single archNemesis that is the bane of your existence.

That's only if it actually works though. If you are really good at Batman style combat in the beginning of the game/you buy nothing but Health upgrades upfront, you'll probably never get "ganked" by the NPCs, and they'll never keep pace with your ascent through the level system. Any Orc that isn't between 15-20 ( or didn't get really good buffs like immune to finishers/will take off 50% of your health in a counter etc ) just can't survive a fight against Tallion once he can regenerate health from executions, and can pull off two executions every other minute.

The best way in my books to make sure you get the "good" experience is to never use Fast Travel. Instead whenever you Fast Travel, just use "Advance Time". It'll still bring you to the Tower you want to be at, stuff will just happen in the background. That way even if you are REALLY good at Batman style combat and kill all comers, by the time you have to go after the Warchiefs in Udun all the Captains should be 15-20. Same with Nurn and it's Captains.

e: I literally spent 15 hours playing with the Orcs in Udun before moving on to Nurn. That's normally a maybe 5 hour journey. Then I got Brand. I immediately Branded all the fuckers in Nurn, and realized I was missing out on assholes trying to kill me. So I went from camp to camp and just exploded the heads of all my soldiers, before heading back to Udun. From there, I started small, only Branding 2-3 guys, and only under specific conditions, ie if I beat them honestly after they came after me, if I saved them in an Execution/Duel, stuff like that. I spent another 5-10 hours in Udun just playing the Nemesis system, and never got bored. I'm now back in Nurn taking what I learned in Udun to heart, and am working my way up to the last big mission which is branding the 5 Warchiefs of Nurn.

I've spent over 20 hours in this drat game, and almost all of them have been me vs Orcs. Emergent Orcs! And the craziest thing is, every time I wipe out a whole bunch in an ambush, more join in with personality types I'VE NEVER SEEN. The 10 second quips at the start of a fight are still all fresh. I keep seeing entirely new models all the drat time. It's goddamn insanity how much work Monolith put into this system.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

You know they'd fail miserably, Jimi would be an empty NPC that spews out a few lines at the beginning of the game. Benjamin Franklin shoulda been Connor's bff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

The 12 dollar DLC pack contains all six of the big DLC from what I can see.

I don't know why there's a 40 dollar version of CK2 when you can get the game and DLC separate for 22 dollars.

It only contains 3 of the big DLC. The $40 collection is the only collection with all 6. The Indian subcontinent is in the main game, you only need the RoI DLC to actually play as an Indian character. Here's a handy DLC guide.

Portrait Packs: You spend a lot of the game staring at portraits, these are pretty nice to have cosmetically.
Music Packs: Nice music, but usually limited to certain regions so you rarely hear it. I usually pass.
Unit Packs: Gives greater variety to the unit sprites, not something that you'll ever really pay attention to.
Sunset Invasion: A nice alternate history DLC where an Aztec Horde will invade your game partway through, if that sounds cool get it if not don't.
Customization Pack: Let's you change your facial hair and rename parts of your titles, if that sounds neat get it.
Ruler Designer: Let's you create a custom character, pretty neat and a good thing to have.
EUIV Converter: Does a basic conversion of the game to EUIV, useful if you have both games and actually get to the end of the games on a regular basis.
Dynasty Shields: Just adds some historic dynasty shields, not something you'll ever really notice or care about likely.
The Old Gods: Adds a new earlier start date as well as a lot of Pagan and Norse(and letting you play as them) stuff, it's a must buy.
Legacy of Rome: Adds a bunch of stuff for the Byzantine Empire, but is a must by for the retinue system.
Sword of Islam: Allows you to play as Muslim characters and adds new stuff for them, buy if you want to play Muslims.
Sons of Abraham: Adds new religious stuff for Christians/Muslims/Jews, a nice DLC to buy.
The Republic: Allows you to play Republics and adds some new mechanics for them, buy if you want to play as Merchant Republics.
Rajas of India: Allows you to play as Indian characters, buy if you want to play in India.

• Locked thread