Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If someone told me that The Cat in the Hat was secretly a brilliant movie, I'd be more interested than amused.

Hahaha, yeah I guess it's kinda both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If someone told me that The Cat in the Hat was secretly a brilliant movie, I'd be more interested than amused.

I became able to appreciate TCITH when I realized that, though likely unintentionally, it works reasonably well, not as a children's or family movie, but as a biting satire of the success of the genuinely awful Grinch movie that cam out a few years earlier. The Grinch movie was terrible in all the same ways as TCITH and more, but less aggressively, so it made good money and was well-received, because the depressingly dull public was willing to overlook the poo poo in their sandwich. TCITH saw this and said "oh, you want more? You want loving more?" and delivered a sandwich completely coated in poo poo. The public was turned off by this, either by the sheer unignorable obviousness of the poo poo or by the subconscious revelation that this was their fault for considering the Grinch acceptable.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Stop Godzilla, save family"

His motivation wasn't to stop Godzilla at all. See there's your problem.

Films tend to make more sense and be more interesting when you pay attention enough to know which giant monster the main character was trying to kill the entire second half of the film.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

His motivation wasn't to stop Godzilla at all. See there's your problem.

Films tend to make more sense and be more interesting when you pay attention enough to know which giant monster the main character was trying to kill the entire second half of the film.

One or both of the MUTOs. Wasn't the point. My point was that he had really weak motivation, his presence in a lot of scenes could be summed up as "he was there".

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

One or both of the MUTOs. Wasn't the point. My point was that he had really weak motivation, his presence in a lot of scenes could be summed up as "he was there".

In the same way his motivation can be summed up as 'to kill Godzilla', yes.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not some special feat to have consistent motivation, it also doesn't make a good movie and it's not how I would describe good acting. That being said I really don't want to be drawn into some irritated spat about loving Godzilla lol.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I was just interested in why folks thought what they thought. I haven't seen a convincing reason. No big deal.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I would argue that his motivation is fairly strong considering all the monsters were converging on the location his remaining family were and he had a skill set that gave him a means to protect them. Though there are a number of times where his power to just "be there" does stretch out conveniently

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I guess I just saw Godzilla as very 5/10 or 6/10 at best. There was some neat stuff in there and I admit with Godzilla killing the second MUTO with an atomic breath down the throat did bump it up an extra point for me :black101:. I wasn't angry with the film at all or felt cheated, just kinda walked out with a shrug at most of it. I suppose my biggest problem was a few times when Godzilla nearly started to get into it they'd cut away and it felt like the cheapest thing especially since they do this 2-3 times at least.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

If anyone's interested in Goosebumps, the poll is up my annual Halloween Goosebumps review. To my surprise, these reviews tend to get the biggest responses out of anything I do.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
See you, space dandies~

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

:( Sorry to hear that you won't be making videos anymore.

Good top ten though. I love Space Dandy too, and that was a sweet story at the beginning of the video. The musical episode would have had a treasured place on my top ten, but to each her own :cheeky:. World Without Sadness and the episode with all the Dandies definitely deserve those high spots though. The latter is probably the funniest episode and the former is just so touching. Standing up a lady? That's just not the Dandy way, baby. :cry:

Also, I didn't realize that many women worked in high positions on Dandy, either, that's pretty interesting. One more reason to like a good show!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Space dandy needs more love. it is like a whole series made from the shoorm episode of cowboy bebop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cyron posted:

Space dandy needs more love. it is like a whole series made from the shoorm episode of cowboy bebop.

That's why I really couldn't get into it. It's too episodic for my tastes, even more so than Bebop or Shamploo. I saw about 6 or so episodes but I think that's all I'll ever need from that show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah really good choices for that Top 10, I really do love the music playing in World Without Sadness Baby, its almost like a lost Pink Floyd song.

A shame that Space Dandy bombed in Japan though, I mean I don't know the cultural reasons why it wasn't that much a hit since it had a lot of what I thought made anime popular.

Good luck on whatever you do next JO.

Jimbot posted:

That's why I really couldn't get into it. It's too episodic for my tastes, even more so than Bebop or Shamploo. I saw about 6 or so episodes but I think that's all I'll ever need from that show.
I kind of loved the episodic nature since it just allowed a lot creativity and experimentalism to be done; this is going to sound weird but it also reminded me of BTAS which was also very episodic save for a few 2 parters.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I seen the video now and i do 100% agree with the zombie episode. i am not a fan of zombies and have been more overplayed IMO then teenage vampire love stories. so i wasn't on board with that one and yes that episode 2nd part made me a fan.

I wish you luck on your new projects. you will always be the reviewer that got me into Baccano.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The main character of Godzilla was, well, Godzilla. Even when he (?) wasn't actual onscreen, his presence could always be felt. It would have been nicer if Godzilla had more screentime, but the film does an excellent job of buliding up and presenting the character.

I think some of the other characters could be a little more memorable, but the acting was good, and every character felt like a real person and very human, rather than a stock character or stereotype. It felt very faithful to the original's tone, to the point where I saw it as a semi-sequel, rather than a remake.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

OldMemes posted:

The main character of Godzilla was, well, Godzilla. Even when he (?) wasn't actual onscreen, his presence could always be felt. It would have been nicer if Godzilla had more screentime, but the film does an excellent job of buliding up and presenting the character.

I think some of the other characters could be a little more memorable, but the acting was good, and every character felt like a real person and very human, rather than a stock character or stereotype. It felt very faithful to the original's tone, to the point where I saw it as a semi-sequel, rather than a remake.

One thing I like is that Cranston and Godzilla take up the same space as 'father' figures in Brody's increasingly complex family. Some folks really don't like the way he bonds with kids, but that's part of the same ongoing theme. The message of the film is that you should look out for your family - but everyone is your family, so you must work accordingly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

A shame that Space Dandy bombed in Japan.

Anime culture in Japan has gone really strange. The "mainstream" is taken up by ongoing shows that have been around for years like One Piece and Naruto with the odd other shounen or shoujo long series slipping in from time to time.

But it's dominated nowadays by the extreme fanservice and "moe" shows that are basically just pandering to sheltered otaku. Basically the entire industry is having trouble economically (like a lot of Japan's industry in general) and cannibalizing itself by trying to milk as much money as possible from the diehards to stay afloat. I mean it's always been like that to some extent, but it's grown exponentially in the last decade or so.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cyron posted:

I seen the video now and i do 100% agree with the zombie episode. i am not a fan of zombies and have been more overplayed IMO then teenage vampire love stories. so i wasn't on board with that one and yes that episode 2nd part made me a fan.

I wish you luck on your new projects. you will always be the reviewer that got me into Baccano.

Like it did with JO, the Zombie Episode was the first one where I understood the kind of ride I was getting on. Up until then it was good, but that episode was the first amazing one.

And of course the second season was like this game of one-up-manship where they would just try to top the last episode and kept getting better and better until the finale (aside from the penultimate episode, of course. Real misstep there)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

We'll miss you, and I wish you the best.
As far as the list goes, I totally agree with you on most of your picks, especially the top two. When I first watched a World Without Sadness, Baby, I was at the bottom of a depression well, and it really resonated with me. Even watching it for the first time, I had a feeling that none of the succeeding episodes would top it. However, if I'd made the list, I would have replaced the plant episode, the dance episode, and the band episode with An Other Dimensional Tale, Baby, Transfer Student is Dandy, Baby, and A Merry Companion is a Wagon in Space, Baby. The other seven choices are basically the same as mine.
Good luck and stay golden.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Good news for the folk wanting a full song version of it: The album with it is going to get released in 4 days!

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah really good choices for that Top 10, I really do love the music playing in World Without Sadness Baby, its almost like a lost Pink Floyd song.

A shame that Space Dandy bombed in Japan though, I mean I don't know the cultural reasons why it wasn't that much a hit since it had a lot of what I thought made anime popular.

The Outside market made up for it and even CN sort of saw a potential Dandy OVA in the future.

Now, this is the part where I'm gonna poke at some of the stuff on this last video, but this may or not be a considerate thing to do for a swan's song:

1. QT doesn't have a personality? As far as I'm concerned, he did develop quite a few interests, some relevant to the plot, some as background a bit before his romantic episode. He was also susceptible to trickery and you could consider to some extent the face and voice of the Aloha OE given just how much he does on the background. Heck, you could even consider the Aloha OE to be a character itself given the way it moves and the mecha as well. I enjoyed the autotuney dub QT, but Japanese QT had a bit of the "I do things for these people JEEZ" vibe going on that sort of filled in the gaps from Meow and Dandy.

2. The fish planet episode, altho weird, was rather straight forward! I don't know if this is a matter of dub or sub, but I tended to go for the sub version since it's a bit closer to tone to my language, and the explanation and mood was one of the least odd, specially given on just how horribly the fish astronaut gets treated after finally arriving to the world a century after and horribly failing to tell people about the impeding apocalypse.

3. Even if the 1st. choice dealt with death as a concept way more explicitly , I think both the Pororoca and the Love Tesseract episode dealt way better with the idea of finality: Where you had a planet that fell in love with DANDY, it didn't fell in love with a particular Dandy, so as much that planet was powerful enough to revive Dandy on that episode, it's still going to meet other Dandies. Whereas on the Pororoca episode Ukeleleman effectively destroyed any chance of getting his Smiling Dandy and ended up dying horribly, even if smiling and on the Love Tesseract episode Dandy gives her the explanation that was given on almost every ED, if anyone didn't figure out who "Nee Everett" was at this point. Again, this explanation tells Catherine what she already knew, that she can no longer have the Dandy she loved or that she could bring to a 4D plane.

Then again my qualms are mostly based on points that are either a bit closer to episodes you didn't like as much or to stuff that someone with a different experience (Heck I think I'm probably the only westerner going HOLY poo poo THAT RESORT EPISODE IS A SEIZO WATASE'S HEART COCKTAIL REFERENCE!), so again these could be moot to what was a personal love letter to something ya loved in a way.

I ain't necessarily being solemn on the goodbye here because something tells me this could be a rebirth rather a sudden disappearance. No videos, but the main meat, the stuff that drove people into following you, will continue to be around. I'm not a fan of your work, but I can observe something that goes far beyond putting all of this into a voice behind a screen and japanese cartoon footage.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 4, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, as Kunster said, at the end of the day this just means no more videos. That blows, but the real draw was always reasoned discussion of anime that wasen't poo poo like Fanservice Fiesta or the people just saying the same otaku opinions constantly. If that continues in text form then this isn't really a departure so much as a change in format.

Though this is two retrospectives now that I got into that'll never get finished, the Welshy Saw one and now the Digimon one. I have terrible luck with these things.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 4, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really need to finish Space Dandy, I stopped after the zombie episode cause I didn't like it very much, the humour was kinda dead to me, but I've seen gifs of later episodes floating around and some of them are pretty drat funny even stripped of context.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I really need to finish Space Dandy, I stopped after the zombie episode cause I didn't like it very much, the humour was kinda dead to me, but I've seen gifs of later episodes floating around and some of them are pretty drat funny even stripped of context.

The first season is rocky, but good. Once you hit "I Can't Be the Only One, Baby", the second season opener, it just takes off.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Kunster posted:

1. QT doesn't have a personality? As far as I'm concerned, he did develop quite a few interests, some relevant to the plot, some as background a bit before his romantic episode.

Huh? I never said that. I said that the episode was about him discovering his own emotions, not that he didn't have any to begin with. They were inside him all along, the episode is just about him realizing that they were there. And he always had a big personality. :)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I really need to finish Space Dandy, I stopped after the zombie episode cause I didn't like it very much, the humour was kinda dead to me,

hee hee hee... :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

Huh? I never said that. I said that the episode was about him discovering his own emotions, not that he didn't have any to begin with. They were inside him all along, the episode is just about him realizing that they were there. And he always had a big personality. :)
My favorite piece of character development on Space Dandy was QT discovering that he loves fishing. Which was part of another good episode. Another of my favorites is that other fishing episode just because Jesus Christ the animation and style was just great.

I think the only episode of Space Dandy I didn't like was either the astronaut dog episode, the second episode, and the court episode (which granted was because they wanted to save up all their budget for the finale)

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

achillesforever6 posted:

and the court episode (which granted was because they wanted to save up all their budget for the finale)

Since the court episode has been brought up twice now, I should mention that not only was that episode done that way so they could have a low-key vignette before the big finale, but it was also an "artists playing around thing."

See, that entire 20-minute episode was animated by one person. No, really. One. Person. He didn't do all the tweens or QC or color or whatever, but he did ALL the key animation.

So that's why. It's much easier to appreciate knowing that. In fact it's kind of mind-blowing once you know that.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 4, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well I certainly wish you all the best in whatever you do next with your life JO. The stuff you've done just with your Digimon series alone was incredible.

I hope you stick around here though even though you're not making videos any more.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

Since the court episode has been brought up twice now, I should mention that not only was that episode done that way so they could have a low-key vignette before the big finale, but it was also an "artists playing around thing."

See, that entire 20-minute episode was animated by one person. No, really. One. Person. He didn't do all the tweens or QC or color or whatever, but he did ALL the key animation.

So that's why. It's much easier to appreciate knowing that. In fact it's kind of mind-blowing once you know that.
Also it had Dean Venture as Dandy's defendant so I can't really hate it :3: Space Dandy to me is just a show that didn't have any outright bad episodes. I loved the special guest voice actor's showing up. Like Vic showing up as Honey's brother. Too bad Troy Baker doesn't really do anime roles anymore because I would have loved for his voice to show up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still maintain that the court episode was actually kind of good. It needed a little more jazz, but then I had to be the only 10 year old watching the poo poo out of Matlock and Perry Mason reruns in between the A-Team reruns and cartoons.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Great retrospective, and a nice way to say goodbye to your video content. I don't know how much you follow ADTRW, but everyone else here had about the same reaction to "A World With No Sadness, Baby" as you did, in that everyone was just floored by it. My only real complaint with the series is that I wish they'd done more with Honey, especially since early in the series there were rumors going around that her character would turn out to be a secret agent of some kind (and this started to gain credibility when she showed up out of nowhere at the end of the race episode). Did not know the director of "Michiko and Hatchin" and "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" had so much involvement with the show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gyges posted:

I still maintain that the court episode was actually kind of good. It needed a little more jazz, but then I had to be the only 10 year old watching the poo poo out of Matlock and Perry Mason reruns in between the A-Team reruns and cartoons.

The episode wasn't bad per se, I don't think any of them were. It was just less good next to all the other episodes. Like, it could have been scripted more tightly, into an episode of about half the length, without going through a bunch of the court procedure and it probably would have been better.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

I wish they'd done more with Honey, especially since early in the series there were rumors going around that her character would turn out to be a secret agent of some kind (and this started to gain credibility when she showed up out of nowhere at the end of the race episode).

For that sort of level, Honey would have had to have a second episode or at least the final would have to be a bit bigger with all the clashes that were going on at the end. And she was already one heck of a character on the series, showcasing her intellectual prowess. And it would have required far more time to hint at this, unlike Bea's Betrayal when you could notice him getting less eager to follow his orders and requesting away time to possibly contact Prince Jaicro.

Also, Kimble Justice's coming baaaack!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 4, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Anime culture in Japan has gone really strange. The "mainstream" is taken up by ongoing shows that have been around for years like One Piece and Naruto with the odd other shounen or shoujo long series slipping in from time to time.

But it's dominated nowadays by the extreme fanservice and "moe" shows that are basically just pandering to sheltered otaku. Basically the entire industry is having trouble economically (like a lot of Japan's industry in general) and cannibalizing itself by trying to milk as much money as possible from the diehards to stay afloat. I mean it's always been like that to some extent, but it's grown exponentially in the last decade or so.

This is part of why I stopped watching/reading anime. Another reason is I think Haruhi Suzumiya was a big watershed series for Anime because you then had a TON of shows, Lucky Star being the biggest one, where half the dialog was referencing other anime or Japanese pop culture in general. It got to a point where if you are not either a Japanese citizen or one of the biggest weebawoos int he world you had no idea what was happening. So I gave up and got into Batman comics (Around the time of The Return of Bruce Wayne, so that was fun)

i've been getting back into anime somewhat with a reread of Fullmetal Alchemist and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Is there better stuff now though? I saw Madoka Magica which HOLY poo poo that was awesome and I need to own it. Attack on Titan was good to as long as you read the manga immediately after because the show ends at a terrible spot. Plus theres a ton of older stuff I never saw.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 5, 2014

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Well I'm the worst person to ask because I just started watching every season of Pretty Cure.

Eh...heh heh...

Oh hey, there's a new Sailor Moon anime running!

....I'm allowed to like girly shows, dammit, and FULL MOON IS AWESOME HUSH

Uh, yea, I also finally got off my butt and watched Kill la Kill and it really does deserve it's fandom. If you can get past the fanservice, it's a really solid action show and the animation style is mindblowingly good. It's streaming legally if you don't want to go the ARRficial route.

If you're a fan of retro anime, there's a lot more of it out these days either on streaming or cheap DVD sets. For example, the entirety of Fist of the North Star is streaming on Crunchyroll. Never thought I'd see the day someone would get that one out over here given how many false starts it had back in the 90s. And if you really wanna be a total nerd, Golion (aka Lion Voltron) is also served by Crunchyroll.

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 5, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

This is part of why I stopped watching/reading anime. Another reason is I think Haruhi Suzumiya was a big watershed series for Anime because you then had a TON of shows, Lucky Star being the biggest one, where half the dialog was referencing other anime or Japanese pop culture in general. It got to a point where if you are not either a Japanese citizen or one of the biggest weebawoos int he world you had no idea what was happening. So I gave up and got into Batman comics (Around the time of The Return of Bruce Wayne, so that was fun)

i've been getting back into anime somewhat with a reread of Fullmetal Alchemist and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Is there better stuff now though? I saw Madoka Magica which HOLY poo poo that was awesome and I need to own it. Attack on Titan was good to as long as you read the manga immediately after because the show ends at a terrible spot. Plus theres a ton of older stuff I never saw.

Psycho-Pass is worth a look, as is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex if you haven't already seen it. If you want a really fun place to start though, go get the Blu-Ray of Redline. Not the DVD, not the free SD stream available legally on Youtube, the Blu-Ray. It's worth it :allears:.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Completely unrelated to everything and from an old review but I've been quoting Kyle's "BUT HOW CAN FALCON IF NOT POSH!?" line from his Anonymous review all the time and it never stops being funny.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I contend that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the absolute best starter/get back into anime show. It's fun, well written, well animated and has an immensly satisying ending. I very rarely watch anime, but Brotherhood is easily one of my favorite shows of any kind, animated or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

OldTennisCourt posted:

I contend that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the absolute best starter/get back into anime show. It's fun, well written, well animated and has an immensly satisying ending. I very rarely watch anime, but Brotherhood is easily one of my favorite shows of any kind, animated or otherwise.

You spelled Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) wrong. :eng101:

• Locked thread