Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Keep forgetting I took this. Someone managed to sheer off the handicap parking sign by work over the weekend. It's right in the middle of the park lot that would have been devoid of cars on a weekend, so kind of hard to not see. Though the parking lot does connect to a Walgreens and people always cut through hoping they can get to one of the side streets (they can't), so it could very well been an old person or a delivery truck.

It's hard to see, but the bottom of the is twisted off instead of a clean sheer and someone took the actual handicap sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Let me guess, that translates as "not driving like you've got Miss Daisy in the back when we want to get you for something"

Well, in my case, it was sedately* accelerating as a 19-year-old in his dad's E320 in the right lane, while stereotypical :rice: was smoking the tires in his neon-lighted Civic in the left lane.

*okay fine I was at WOT too but it was a dead heat from 0-50 in a 45 zone because both cars were slooooow

In all seriousness they base it on such vagaries as "exhaust noise", "revving engines", and "squealing tires". I've never been so glad to have a stock exhaust and non-defeatable traction control.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

In AZ, going 20 over is/can be felony speeding.
I did 90 fairly often on my bike around AZ interstates and passed cops a few times and never got pulled over. That would be 15 over the speed limit on those roads. Seemed to me you had to be doing something fantastically stupid to get police attention in AZ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

In all seriousness they base it on such vagaries as "exhaust noise", "revving engines", and "squealing tires". I've never been so glad to have a stock exhaust and non-defeatable traction control.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought.

Laws based on measurable data such as speed are generally fine, even when they're based on false logic. At least you still have a definite line to work to. Ones based on opinion have no place being on the books, and certainly not when the person holding that opinion lacks the qualification or experience for it to be worth anything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I did 90 fairly often on my bike around AZ interstates and passed cops a few times and never got pulled over. That would be 15 over the speed limit on those roads. Seemed to me you had to be doing something fantastically stupid to get police attention in AZ.

This, or happen to pass a motorcycle cop that's LIDARing everyone and you're doing at least 11 over. I think it pretty much auto-prints the ticket at that point.

Although for your own sake, it's worth noting that the criminal speeding clause applies to 20 over or >85MPH, whichever is lower. You're still more likely than not to get ignored but if they do get you doing that, you're going to get the book thrown at you.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, pretty much what I thought.

Laws based on measurable data such as speed are generally fine, even when they're based on false logic. At least you still have a definite line to work to. Ones based on opinion have no place being on the books, and certainly not when the person holding that opinion lacks the qualification or experience for it to be worth anything.

I'm still convinced that half the reason they made such a fuss to pull me over was because my dad had a habit of hot-rodding that Benz around that part of town too. I still love that his reaction the next morning was not one of anger, but rather confusion at how I managed to get caught in the quietest, most sedate vehicle we owned.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Who the gently caress in their right mind stops and gets out of their car in the middle of a loving interstate? Much less stand close into another traffic lane. JFC.

Note: this is likely a gif of two people no longer bound to this mortal coil. Unless its fake and then I'm relieved.

http://i.imgur.com/udbpMsh.gif

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Who the gently caress in their right mind stops and gets out of their car in the middle of a loving interstate?
Russians.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

BraveUlysses posted:

worse:

http://goo.gl/maps/WNkOF

7 way intersection in seattle, right next to a major highway

MA Goons will know that this intersection is much more fun:

http://goo.gl/JepXGB

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

KennyLoggins posted:

I knew it! Right before I clicked I thought to myself has to be the hellbeast on 122.

vulgarghost
Oct 18, 2002

mr youse neednt be so spry
Ah Kelley Square, good thing Worcester drivers are all skilled and consistent enough to handle it!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

KennyLoggins posted:

When Streetview loaded, I dismissed it by thinking the intersection could be replaced by two roundabouts. Then I panned 180 degrees and my jaw dropped.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, in my case, it was sedately* accelerating as a 19-year-old in his dad's E320 in the right lane, while stereotypical :rice: was smoking the tires in his neon-lighted Civic in the left lane.

*okay fine I was at WOT too but it was a dead heat from 0-50 in a 45 zone because both cars were slooooow

I got the exact opposite. When I was 19 or 20 I drove a 1968 Dodge Charger with a *really* built 440 (think - lopey as hell idle at 1000rpm), and a 3000rpm stall torque converter. Sounded like I was racing pretty much at all times.

I got pulled over on Central Avenue when the little rice-mobile next to me did the burnout drag race thing while I sedately drove along next to him barely touching the throttle. We both got pulled over (two separate motor officers) for 'exhibition of speed'. Luckily I was on my way home from work, wearing a suit, and at the time I was in sales so kept a pretty military haircut as well. After a relatively lengthy conversation the police officer finally conceded that maybe, just maybe, if I was *really* drag racing the Honda that it would not have been anywhere near my back bumper, let alone next to me, and he let me go with a verbal warning. The other officer was writing a citation as I drove away. I imagine that if the same thing happened today, nearly 30 years later, that he would have written me up without discussion.

That car got me pulled over a lot, usually for noise, but strangely only ever got 1 actual ticket (for 70 in a 55 on I-40).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Came around a curve on a parkway today, going with traffic (50 mph limit, traffic doing about 55).

See the car in front of me briefly hit their brakes before swerving hard. Then see why they swerved. Dark Nissan Altima parked in my lane. No hazards, or any other lights for that matter. It was missing the LF suspension and a good chunk of its front bumper, but I didn't see anything that would have prevented someone from, say, turning on the hazards. Or maybe at least standing on the side of the road - there was nobody around it or in it. The only thing around it was a lot of skid marks.

I'm going to be picking pieces of the drivers seat out of my rear end for a few weeks.

and yes, I did call the police about it, they already had someone on the way to deal with it.

tl;dr don't ditch your broken car in the middle of a busy road, and if you do, at least turn on some kind of lights or try to warn people somehow. That could have turned really ugly really fast.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 2, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

In Ontario, the equivalent is a "street racing" charge. It nets you:

- instant roadside 7-day license suspension
- instant roadside impoundment of vehicle
- 6 points on your license (at 9 it gets suspended, and you get 3+ for any speeding ticket)
- a $10,000 fine.

What kinds of ludicrous acts qualify as street racing? Among others,

quote:

Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway,

quote:

Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

and of course that good racing move

quote:

Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sagebrush posted:

loving Ontario

It's the Virginia of Canadian provinces.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway,

Them Duke boys are lookin' for a heap of trouble.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Them Duke boys are lookin' for a heap of trouble.

Or anyone in a Golf.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

You know what DK stands for?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

- 6 points on your license (at 9 it gets suspended, and you get 3+ for any speeding ticket)
- a $10,000 fine.

As long as it has to be intentional... what is that law for? To prevent drifting?

I partially lost traction during a turn just the other day because I didn't realize that what looked like yellow lines on the other side of the 3-way stop were, in fact, tiny speed-bumps (because isn't that just a terribly safe design?). I don't think I was street racing, but according to the Ontario government I might be mistaken.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seemed to me you had to be doing something fantastically stupid to get police attention in AZ.

Yes, but being not white is considered fantastically stupid in AZ.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

As long as it has to be intentional... what is that law for? To prevent drifting?

I partially lost traction during a turn just the other day because I didn't realize that what looked like yellow lines on the other side of the 3-way stop were, in fact, tiny speed-bumps (because isn't that just a terribly safe design?). I don't think I was street racing, but according to the Ontario government I might be mistaken.

You are mistaken, and in Ontario an officer could legally impound your car for seven days and suspend your license based on their own perception of how you were driving in a street-racingy manner in a car (your Mustang) well known for street racing.

The Ontario street racing law is not limited to those offenses, it covers such things as speeding 50kph over the limit (which if you've ever driven on the 401 is laughable), having a connected nitrous oxide system (because "Some street racers use nitrous oxide to enhance the acceleration capabilities of their vehicles."), participating in a "driving contest" or "stunt driving."

Based on a reading of the statute you could also say that driving side by side on a highway for a long period of time or tailgating will also trigger this poorly written law.

It's total fantasy pushed by lawmakers based on having watched a Fast & Furious movie. Its intention is clearly to provide police with a harassment mechanism that can be applied to nearly any driver on the officer's sole judgment.

Technically, you could be ticketed for stunting in Alberta for the situation you described happening already (I know people who have gotten stunting citations for accelerating to the speed limit by shifting at redline, because it was loud. People have been successfully prosecuted for stunting offenses in AB for flashing their brights to warn of a speed trap). There is a huge range of potential interpretation of law enforcement.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/bill203.shtml
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_070455_e.htm

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 2, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PaganGoatPants posted:

You know what DK stands for?

Donkey Kong?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

atomicthumbs posted:

Donkey Kong?
DK is where you Don't Know a trade, or refuse to recognise it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

The law is supposedly to prevent people drifting, doing donuts, wheelieing on motorcycles, and doing other "stunts" on public roads. But because it's got to be "intentional", it immediately falls down to cop says vs. driver says, and you know how those usually turn out.

Just before I moved away for grad school, there was an editorial in the local paper about a kid who had gotten hit for street racing. He was in his first few months of driving a standard, and accidentally spun the tires from a stoplight on a rainy day...but there was an OPP car at the cross street who decided it was "burning out" and welp.

I'm fairly sure the charges also stack over time like the do for DUIs, so after your second racing charge you lose your license for a year, and after the third you lose your license forever. Hope you got good tires!

I very nearly got one myself -- I was driving down an empty country highway at 97km/h, the speed limit being 80. 60mph in a 50...speeding, but not excessively by any means. Well I was approaching a podunk little town at the end of a long straight, and they'd put their in-town 50km/h limit sign way out in the middle of nowhere next to a marsh, still at least a kilometer or two from the first building. I was slowing down to be going a reasonable speed by the time I actually made it into town when a cop popped out of a parking lot and told me he'd caught me going 97 when I passed the sign -- 47 over. 3 more and I would have been ~**STREET RACING**~ at 60 miles an hour on this empty country road and my car and license would have been forfeit.

As it was, he amazingly gave me a warning -- maybe he saw the bouquet of flowers on the passenger seat and correctly assumed I was going to visit a girl and a 1000 dollar ticket would just totally ruin it, or maybe he just realized it was a dick move in the first place. Good on you officer whatever of the OPP in North Gower.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I spun my (nearly bald) tires in the rain once as me and a friend in his Integra were leaving a stoplight that had just turned green. A sheriff that was watching pulled me over and screamed at me for street racing and being a MENACE 2 SOCIETY for a good half-hour, threatening to arrest me numerous times in the process, before eventually letting me off with a warning cause he was such a nice guy and sending me on my way.

Basically if I wasn't white I probably would have been killed that night. gently caress cops and gently caress laws that allow their biases to influence rulings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

I got the exact opposite. When I was 19 or 20 I drove a 1968 Dodge Charger with a *really* built 440 (think - lopey as hell idle at 1000rpm), and a 3000rpm stall torque converter. Sounded like I was racing pretty much at all times.

I got pulled over on Central Avenue when the little rice-mobile next to me did the burnout drag race thing while I sedately drove along next to him barely touching the throttle. We both got pulled over (two separate motor officers) for 'exhibition of speed'. Luckily I was on my way home from work, wearing a suit, and at the time I was in sales so kept a pretty military haircut as well. After a relatively lengthy conversation the police officer finally conceded that maybe, just maybe, if I was *really* drag racing the Honda that it would not have been anywhere near my back bumper, let alone next to me, and he let me go with a verbal warning. The other officer was writing a citation as I drove away. I imagine that if the same thing happened today, nearly 30 years later, that he would have written me up without discussion.

That car got me pulled over a lot, usually for noise, but strangely only ever got 1 actual ticket (for 70 in a 55 on I-40).

No, if you got pulled over in that car today, they'd probably just talk about how cool your car is.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Thankfully my one-and-only brush with the OPP was fine. I've been in Northern Ontario for a little over two years, and maybe because I drive like an old man I never get pulled over. Had one checkstop and the guy was pleasant and it was 60 seconds from being pulled over to getting back on my way. That being said, I live in a mining town with lots of young, dumb shitheads with jacked up brotrucks, and I know they get tons of tickets for driving like idiots. And I'm happy that they do - don't drive like idiots people.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When my sisters were going to UF, I learned that as soon as you cross onto campus grounds, the speed limit drops from 40 or whatever to 25 on all of campus. And I can't remember if it's signed at all, but definitely not often; I would never have known driving to the graduation ceremony if they hadn't told me.

And apparently they do ticket heavily even if it's just 1 over.

vv It was a few years ago, it might have just been small signs off to the side or something, I don't remember exactly. All I know is they shouted at me for driving 26 and insisted I slow down.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

When my sisters were going to UF, I learned that as soon as you cross onto campus grounds, the speed limit drops from 40 or whatever to 25 on all of campus. And I can't remember if it's signed at all, but definitely not often; I would never have known driving to the graduation ceremony if they hadn't told me.

And apparently they do ticket heavily even if it's just 1 over.
If it's a public road, don't they have to post it?

If it's a private road, how can they ticket you?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

InitialDave posted:

If it's a private road, how can they ticket you?

It's a university, they'll find a way. If the car is at all registered to a student, they'll just send the fine to finance, who will say, "Oh you still owe $XXX from a ticket, we can't send out transcripts/diplomas."

Nothing you have to legally care about, unless you actually need that diploma you just spent the last several years getting and racking up expenses for.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xergm posted:

Nothing you have to legally care about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tRa_yX7M0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xergm posted:

It's a university, they'll find a way. If the car is at all registered to a student, they'll just send the fine to finance, who will say, "Oh you still owe $XXX from a ticket, we can't send out transcripts/diplomas."

Nothing you have to legally care about, unless you actually need that diploma you just spent the last several years getting and racking up expenses for.

I have a whole pile of unpaid campus parking tickets from visiting my sister at her university. The back of the citation has some very strong wording threatening that if I don't pay them, I won't be able to access my final grades or apply for graduation. :v:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Sagebrush posted:

- a $10,000 fine.

I have done all of these before in a semi.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why does your semi have a trunk?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

The Locator posted:

Why does your semi have a trunk?

I think he meant "WITH a semi"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

How did you drive with someone in the 'trunk'? Did you call the whole trailer the 'trunk' as you dodged La Migra?

I have done the 18 wheel drift before, cross winds in freezing fog are a motherfucker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xergm posted:

If it's a public university, you may be dealing with county or state police.

The university I attended is a state university, and has its own police department (and K9 units, and a small jail, though they contracted with the county for most jail stuff). Parking tickets were about the only thing you could ignore if you weren't a student - the cops were state cops and had plenty of jurisdiction even off campus, and had no problem sending outstanding tickets to the city or county.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

I have a whole pile of unpaid campus parking tickets from visiting my sister at her university. The back of the citation has some very strong wording threatening that if I don't pay them, I won't be able to access my final grades or apply for graduation. :v:

Something I never understood about people not paying parking tickets. Won't the police dept. eventually forward your information, like address from your registration info, on to a collections company?

By the way most private universities here in Illinois, such as Northwestern University, have a police force (Northwestern University Police) that have ticket/arrest powers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

If it's a public university, you may be dealing with county or state police.

The university I attended is a state university, and has its own police department (and K9 units, and a small jail, though they contracted with the county for most jail stuff). Parking tickets were about the only thing you could ignore if you weren't a student - the cops were state cops and had plenty of jurisdiction even off campus, and had no problem sending outstanding tickets to the city or county.

If it's a public university, wouldn't that make the roads on it public roads? So wouldn't the usual rules about having to post speed limit signs also apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KennyLoggins posted:

I see your intersection and raise you The Magic Roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...b6c0548c1?hl=en

:suicide: