Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smorgasbord posted:

What? Why? A team official makes an entirely routine and reasonable request and the pathetic little turd can't just do it like anyone else, he has to make some childish sarcastic comment? Good on the manager for calling him out on it.

edit: the fact that it escalated from there rather than Beale apologising for the disrespect shows how childish he is.

Well, I was talking specifically about how everyone jumped to assume he was drinking and was totally at fault. My read of the situation is that this was some middle management style bullshit where everyone had to wear a certain shirt or something and that Beale and Carter weren't. Then when they were told to change, they did and Beale got upset and got into an argument with the middle manager. Now, that doesn't mean he's not an idiot, but stuff like this happens all the time in a million workplaces and it got totally blown out of proportion because of his history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

An All Black was just dropped for being on the piss. The difference is that we were able to replce him with another world class player.

This entirely. The ABs have great structures no doubt. But the fact that they have such a depth of playing talent, with a local rugby culture that produces high tempo, high skilled rugby is. by far, the primary reason. Also, success breeds success. When a team's winning so consistently, it's a lot easier for everyone to buy into a team ethos and the team rules are so much more appealing. When a team is frustrated and morale is low, people are a lot less willing to pull their head in.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

This entirely. The ABs have great structures no doubt. But the fact that they have such a depth of playing talent, with a local rugby culture that produces high tempo, high skilled rugby is. by far, the primary reason. Also, success breeds success. When a team's winning so consistently, it's a lot easier for everyone to buy into a team ethos and the team rules are so much more appealing. When a team is frustrated and morale is low, people are a lot less willing to pull their head in.

Also, if you gently caress up as an AB you know your replacement will step up and you may not see the jersey again.
For most other nations this isn't always the case.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Hope the boks gently caress up NZ, glorious day for victory.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Can someone explain to me how Twelvetrees gets to start any game?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Can someone explain to me how Twelvetrees gets to start any game?

He reminds everyone of the golden retriever they had as a kid.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

He reminds everyone of the golden retriever they had as a kid.

So Old Yeller then?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Looking forward to the Wayne Barnes Experience today.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

Looking forward to the Wayne Barnes Experience today.

And it has begun...

Great SA try, though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Nice try there though some of the tackling there was pretty poor.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Now that was a nice try.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

So I'm in a cabin in upstate New York. How's the test thus far?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

butros posted:

Looking really good so far, South Africa have stepped it up for this game.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Gloucester have just butchered the try of the weekend.

Lovely offloading, a behind the back pass, great lines, going over for the bonus point. And the last guy drops a simple pass underneath the posts.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
How did the kiwis let de Villiers get to that first?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I was just about to say we've looked pretty clueless on attack but then that happened.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's looking like the Ireland game all over again, New Zealand looking a bit lost for most of the game and then remembering what rugby is in the last 20 minutes.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kick away... this is by no means over. Great game

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
loving HIGH TACKLE ON SCHALK BURGER

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Y'know, that's not *technically* a tackle!

Oh, it's "Just a penalty" :ohdear:

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Just kick Pat and let these cunts go home

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Ah well, was a fun game to watch.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Good game, pity that was how it ended

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fair outcome.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Harsh penalty to be honest, Burger gets chopped low and falls into Messam's arm as Messam is trying to tackle Burger's chest. It didn't look like a penalty in real time. And SA had gone 30m up the park so they had advantage.

Great drama though so I'm not too bothered.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope the Aussies realise this means they're going to get murdered in Brisbane.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

butros posted:

As a Boks fan I feel for you. That was an amazing game. Boks put the kicking game to rest and actually played an expanding running game.
To give you a taste of what you missed though the Boks were up by 11 points. Sadly New Zealand scored two tries (one conversion) and all of a sudden the Boks are down by a point with 5 minutes to go. Lambie attempts for a drop kick but misses it. Seconds are ticking away. Boks needs to press but the New Zealand defense has it's poo poo together. Schalk gets the ball at the half way line and gets tackled hard. Initially it is given as a NZ turnover shortly after but the ref goes to the TMO and low and behold Schalkie's tackler basically "tackled" him by shoving his shoulder into Schalkie's head. 2 minutes left. Boks are awarded a penalty. Not enough time to kick for the corner (also NZ have disrupted the Boks line-outs all game). Lambert is given the ball to kick for goal from 51m out. And.....he does. Boks take a 2 point lead with 1.5 minutes to go. They then hold on for dear life. And they do! Bokke!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Madkal posted:

As a Boks fan I feel for you. That was an amazing game. Boks put the kicking game to rest and actually played an expanding running game.
To give you a taste of what you missed though the Boks were up by 11 points. Sadly New Zealand scored two tries (one conversion) and all of a sudden the Boks are down by a point with 5 minutes to go. Lambie attempts for a drop kick but misses it. Seconds are ticking away. Boks needs to press but the New Zealand defense has it's poo poo together. Schalk gets the ball at the half way line and gets tackled hard. Initially it is given as a NZ turnover shortly after but the ref goes to the TMO and low and behold Schalkie's tackler basically "tackled" him by shoving his shoulder into Schalkie's head. 2 minutes left. Boks are awarded a penalty. Not enough time to kick for the corner (also NZ have disrupted the Boks line-outs all game). Lambert is given the ball to kick for goal from 51m out. And.....he does. Boks take a 2 point lead with 1.5 minutes to go. They then hold on for dear life. And they do! Bokke!

Let me translate this:
"we were playing really well, but then the All Blacks started outplaying us and regained the lead. We attempted to resort to a drop goal, as that's all we really know. That failed, so the crowd started booing every time someone got tackled until Wayne Barnes saw his opportunity to be the star of the match. Despite our first half brilliance, our official team motto is 'Go for the poles'."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Come in 10 minutes in and it's 14-0 to Australia already. Oh Argentina :smith:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Nice try for Argentina there but they really need to play out wider sooner instead of just trying to kill everyone in the ruck.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That forward pass in South Africa's first try reminded me of another game Barnes once reffed.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Nigel Owens is pretty cool. When asking what Australia wanted to do with their penalty the answer given was "We'll take the points."

His response: "Well I can't give you the points but you can have a go at it."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wallabies are penalising themselves out of the game here.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Wallabies are penalising themselves out of the game here.

Some of them look knackered as well which isn't helping.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Screw that rear end in a top hat with the laser pointer.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah he's going to give these whingey Australian commentators something to go on about.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Jerusalem posted:

For a moment, I forgot those things ever existed, and assumed some sort of sniper was ensuring he didn't take the kick.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

gently caress that laser pointer bullshit. So ridiculous

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Reckless no arms tackle on the kicker in the air, clear cut yellow. What the hell are the commentators on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This game is so goddamn bizarre.

• Locked thread