Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I had Shadow Of Mordor marked as a Steamsale kind of game, but then saw a stream of the Penny Arcade guys playing it and was like "man, that actually looks pretty cool." My first fight I was just killing a small pack of orcs and looked around after a little while and thought "there are... quite a lot of orcs here." I slaughtered orcs until 3 Captains rolled up and then I had to bail. Too many orcs.

MY favourite little thing about SoM is that when you are killed, you get a chance to complete a quick time event to stay in the fight, deflecting the killing blow/arrow/spear. This restores a small amount of health and allows you to keep fighting but also has the effect of turning every battle you're losing into what is basically Boromir's final scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the game is pretty much "hey chump remember that cool-rear end thing that a character did in Lord of the Rings well gently caress it now you can do it in this game".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No, stop, I need to save my money and Smash Bros comes out in a few hours.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Away all Goats posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty great.

It's nice to play a game that advertises itself as a sandbox game and actually get a sandbox where the game mechanics(in this case, the Nemesis system) are the star of the show rather than mission set pieces or story(like in GTA)

I also like how the game feels like an actual world. poo poo happens while your doing other stuff with the various captains and Orc leaders competing for and increasing their power. I even had one moment where I was fighting one Orc captain and two more captains came rushing into the scene and I actually had to book it out of there.

I have this loving orc who has killed me about 4 times now. He keeps showing up where I am, but I've always got the drop on him. Fucker is immune to stealth and ranged. I finally get him solo, I'm kicking his rear end, and THREE captains on patrol randomly wander up and that loving orc kills me again. He's probably going to be a warchief before I actually take him down, but it's going to be very satisfying when I do.

This game really makes you feel feelings about pretend characters. Most of them being hate. Except Ratbag. He's my bro.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

No, stop, I need to save my money and Smash Bros comes out in a few hours.

No you don't. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFy8neoWPI

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Alright, the thread has convinced me that I need Shadow of Mordor. There's really nothing else I'm very interested in until Bloodborne releases. Hoping there's a digital download available since I'm too impatient and immature to wait until tomorrow. Off to check PSN, this better be as good as you people are making it out to be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HairyManling posted:

Alright, the thread has convinced me that I need Shadow of Mordor. There's really nothing else I'm very interested in until Bloodborne releases. Hoping there's a digital download available since I'm too impatient and immature to wait until tomorrow. Off to check PSN, this better be as good as you people are making it out to be.

Just a heads-up, the game is like 40GBs so I hope you have a good internet connection. :cripes:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Just a heads-up, the game is like 40GBs so I hope you have a good internet connection. :cripes:

PS4 version is 27GBs and I'm about 30% through the download. I should be killing orcs in about 10 minutes!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Xoidanor posted:

Is it like with Wolfenstein: The New Order, where they deliberately bloated up the game's files with junk data as an "anti-piracy measure" (more like anti-consumer measure, really) or is it more like Metal Gear Rising, where they just decided to leave a bunch of assets completely uncompressed for some strange reason.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Is it like with Wolfenstein: The New Order, where they deliberately bloated up the game's files with junk data as an "anti-piracy measure" (more like anti-consumer measure, really) or is it more like Metal Gear Rising, where they just decided to leave a bunch of assets completely uncompressed for some strange reason.

Uncompressed up the rear end I'd assume. I feel like that mech-game that Microsoft released in spring opened up the floodgates on releasing games with assets entirely uncompressed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Kanji in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is the best goddamn thing. I mean, he was in P4 vanilla, but I love him even more in this.

"Oh my gooooood, he's an albino Shiba!"

i wouldn't call an entire character a little thing, but I'd definitely call Troy Baker's performance in this game one of the best of his career

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

i wouldn't call an entire character a little thing, but I'd definitely call Troy Baker's performance in this game one of the best of his career

Its not Troy sadly, but the guy does a drat good sound-alike job.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Babe Magnet posted:

The Nemesis System is so goddamn cool and I can't wait for more games to steal it.
Diablo 3 had a nemesis system (same name) that came out in August. Console only though, which is weird and disappointing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Its not Troy sadly, but the guy does a drat good sound-alike job.

I could hear that a bit, in that case it's Matthew Mercer, who is probably a vampire or something who's been feeding off Baker to gain his voice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

I could hear that a bit, in that case it's Matthew Mercer, who is probably a vampire or something who's been feeding off Baker to gain his voice.

He's been voicing Kanji since the second half of the anime's dub, and most people didn't even notice until Arena Ultimax.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Is it worth buying SoM for the 360? I heard somewhere that they cut back some of the features on the old console systems, but I don't have a next-gen console and I doubt my crappy PC could run it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Is it worth buying SoM for the 360? I heard somewhere that they cut back some of the features on the old console systems, but I don't have a next-gen console and I doubt my crappy PC could run it.

The game won't be released for the 360 until November 18, so I doubt anyone could tell you except maybe game reviewers with advance copies or something. The only thing I can find is that the nemesis system might be scaled down a bit in the 360 while most of the core mechanics will be the same, but the articles are like 7 months old so I don't know if that's still the case.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Werner-Boogle posted:

No, the only thing that is actually good in the game is the thing that is cut from the last gen versions.
The PC version is pretty well optimized and people have apparently been running it on below minimum specs so don't discount the PC version just yet, just check before you buy.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Hel posted:

No, the only thing that is actually good in the game is the thing that is cut from the last gen versions.
The PC version is pretty well optimized and people have apparently been running it on below minimum specs so don't discount the PC version just yet, just check before you buy.

Alright thanks. Is there a demo or something I could download? Do games even still do demos? I just don't wanna drop 60$ on a game my PC might not run.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Alright thanks. Is there a demo or something I could download? Do games even still do demos? I just don't wanna drop 60$ on a game my PC might not run.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a demo, they kinda of fallen out of favour lately, but I don't think you should gamble 60$ on it working either. So either you need to find someone that got it working with your specs or have a friend with the game that will let you borrow their Steam account. More games should have their benchmarks as a separate free download.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My PC is about three years old and it's as smooth as god drat silk. I've had games that are older struggle on it for some reason, but this is both gorgeous looking and full speed with gently caress all slowdown.

As someone who was skeptical about the game after seeing some videos prior to release, and who was lucky enough to be gifted a copy by a friend, I can confirm that the nemesis system is loving fantastic.

The first major fight I got into I had four captains show up and leave (b/c I kicked their rear end) midway through the fight because I was dumb enough to stand out in the open at the blackgates.

The last one who left managed to grab a hold of me and break me over his knee before he left, which wasn't enough to kill me but was enough to reduce me to like, 5 hp surrounded by enemies.

One of them finally gets a lucky hit on me and takes me down, which caused him to rank up and then immediately go fight another warchief and win, increasing his power level further.

I then took that oppportunity to hunt down intel on the guy from other orcs which revealed that unlike most, he was terrified of / weak to stealth kills, and hid in a loving fortress.

I hunted him down like an animal, and in front of him giving a speech to his men, decapitated him from stealth which caused the other orcs to run in terror.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The game sounds like fun but I don't want to gamble that it's more than just the current goon flavor of the month. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Werner-Boogle posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like you might be able to get a decent discount here using the coupon code OCTOBE-R25OFF-GMGXXX

Should take it down to something like $38 but I don't know if it's still working as of right now or not (haven't tried it). Otherwise just google around, a lot of places seem to be doing deals on it so it's not the full on $50 price tag.

Otherwise if you know your computer's specs, most places like Steam will list the minimum requirements for games. Which I realize isn't always exact but it could give you a ballpark idea if this will run or not.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Oct 3, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Just buy it on nuuvem for 28 monies

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Len posted:

The game sounds like fun but I don't want to gamble that it's more than just the current goon flavor of the month. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it though.

I've literally not even looked at the goon thread just to avoid the hype train. The one video I watched actually made me not want to play it - only reason I did was that I got it as a gift. It is a good game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

One of Luigi's victory poses in SSB 3DS is him just arcing his back and wobbling on the floor on his belly like some kind of mentally deficient rocking horse for some reason and it's stupidly funny.

I also like how ridiculously many characters are unlocked from the moment you turn it on. I wasn't following much of the hype but I was afraid you'd have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get everyone since there are so many, but the roster is insane even out of the gate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

MY favourite little thing about SoM is that when you are killed, you get a chance to complete a quick time event to stay in the fight, deflecting the killing blow/arrow/spear. This restores a small amount of health and allows you to keep fighting but also has the effect of turning every battle you're losing into what is basically Boromir's final scene.

And not long in, you can upgrade that into a kill counter vs normal orcs.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Just buy it on nuuvem for 28 monies

You might want to be careful with that though, because the game was region locked after release without any real notification going out. So there's a lot of people who bought it for cheap outside their region with unplayable copies of the game now. I don't know how Brazil (?) fits into that though.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Alouicious posted:

If you guys hadn't said anything, I'd never have known. I love Troy but hot drat Mercer :syoon:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

tithin posted:

My PC is about three years old and it's as smooth as god drat silk. I've had games that are older struggle on it for some reason, but this is both gorgeous looking and full speed with gently caress all slowdown.

My computer is like six years old and it runs pretty well as long as I keep it on medium settings. Haven't actually tried setting it higher so maybe there's still some headroom.
But you can't rely afford stuttering when twenty orcs are trying to bash your head in...

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

While I can't say much more about it besides this, Hyrule Warriors is the first Dynasty Warriors game I've seen where I can totally tell where I am on the map and how and where to go to get to another point on the map.

I don't know if it really counts as a little thing, since it's the main hook of the game, but I love how well it straddles the line between Dynasty Warriors and Zelda. I was just expecting a reskin of Dynasty Warriors, and in a lot of ways that's all it is, but in others, particularly item implementation and bosses, they really bring the Zelda feel with a Dynasty Warriors mass brawl layered on top of it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wintermutant posted:

I don't know if it really counts as a little thing, since it's the main hook of the game, but I love how well it straddles the line between Dynasty Warriors and Zelda. I was just expecting a reskin of Dynasty Warriors, and in a lot of ways that's all it is, but in others, particularly item implementation and bosses, they really bring the Zelda feel with a Dynasty Warriors mass brawl layered on top of it.

There's something incredibly satisfying about charging up a spin attack as Link and just blowing 100 goblins to hell. Hyrule Warriors has some issues but it's pretty fun for what it's worth, and it looks like Nintendo's actually going hog-wild on the DLC this time. It's a worthwhile game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

He's been voicing Kanji since the second half of the anime's dub, and most people didn't even notice until Arena Ultimax.

Nah, Baker was back for Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Golden. Mercer voices him in Q and Ultimax.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've talked about Smash Bros 3DS a little in the 'dragging this game down' thread, but it's a Smash Bros game. It's still great, and it's all about the little things.

-They expanded the alternate costume choices to eight, which allows them to make some really deep cuts. Ness wears the Magicant patterns, Samus gets both colors of Gravity Suit, Link gets Feirce Deity, Toon Link gets a teal-ish Link Between Worlds tunic...

-My favorite deserves a separate point, though: Little Mac was given wireframe costumes, to call back to the original vector Punch-Out. He also has a tracksuit costume. So of course, someone on the development team had the best idea ever, and gave Wireframe Mac a tracksuit costume.

-Starman in Smash Run fights exactly like he does in the Mother games... by standing completely stationary and shooting you with psychic powers.

-The trophy descriptions are fantastic. Someone seems to have especially had fun with the Mario ones; Thwomp's goes on about how they'd be a great home security system if only we could buy them, and Paragoomba's talks about people's fond memories of dying in two seconds flat against the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros because they forgot to jump.

-The Master Ball item is like the Poke Ball, except that it will only ever give you big, useful legendary Pokemon... and Goldeen.

-They seem to have really put forward the effort to make every fighter a viable choice this time, even the ones that fell behind. Jigglypuff has her instakill Rest back, Ness' specials are a bit better at their jobs and his yo-yo smashes carry a bit more punch, and Bowser is now so girthy that he doesn't even flinch to attacks until he takes an appreciable amount of damage.

-And despite all the new, complicated stuff, this is probably the most user-friendly Smash Bros game. All of the stuff that you wouldn't get at a glance about characters is actually explained in loading screen tips.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Oct 5, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was remembering my first playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins

The first time I played, I made it to Redcliffe from the beginning without stopping for a real break, so I was cutting some corners. I triggered the undead invasion without getting anybody to join the militia, or without securing the oil barrels or blacksmith.

The whole fight was white-knuckle. I'd think I was winning, then the next wave would have me on my heels; then, I'd feel like I might win again, and it went back and forth like that for a while.

At the end of it, a handful of undead was pushing me back, and I just had myself and Morrigan still alive. The last few enemies had me literally pushed up against the Chantry doors, where I couldn't really flank or evade, and I barely won the fight. It just felt so cinematic! Like, they had my back against the church, and I barely cut down the last of them.

Doing the sequence correctly therefrom has always been really anti-climactic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

making GBS threads yourself when you fart too much in Fable is probably going to remain my favorite little thing in videogames forever.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Cleretic posted:

-The trophy descriptions are fantastic. Someone seems to have especially had fun with the Mario ones; Thwomp's goes on about how they'd be a great home security system if only we could buy them, and Paragoomba's talks about people's fond memories of dying in two seconds flat against the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros because they forgot to jump

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Super Smash Bros. when Duck Hunt guards, he covers his eyes. He's seriously the goofiest loving thing and probably my favorite new comer so far.

Pikachu's still my main man though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

scarycave posted:

In Super Smash Bros. when Duck Hunt guards, he covers his eyes. He's seriously the goofiest loving thing and probably my favorite new comer so far.

Pikachu's still my main man though.

That character made me realize something that really makes this Smash stand above the previous ones; nearly every newcomer (clones excepted) has a 'special' fighting style. They aren't just 'fast light dude' or 'big slow tank', each one is clearly designed to do something with their moveset.

For the most part, Smash characters are all pretty straightforward, the most differentiation in playstyle in previous games were the switching characters like Zelda (and most people just ignored that), the Ice Climbers who were weird and sort of hard to understand the intention of, and R.O.B. who was predominantly charging-based. Only a few 'unique' character styles across the entire roster, and it's arguable how well they actually worked.

But now with Smash 4 we've got some really impressive variety in moveset direction. Villager and Wii-Fit Trainer are two separate types of setup character, Mega Man has more ranged capability than he has melee, Rosalina's essentially learning from the Ice Climbers' mistakes, Mac's the only guy with a meter, Palutena's built to be customized, Pac-Man's a bit of a 'utlity belt' character, Robin's ammo system completely changes how he approaches fights, Shulk's stat-shifting allows him to change his approach a lot, and Duck Hunt has some pretty good zoning capabilities.

I suppose that's a bit major for a 'little thing', but that dawning realization of 'oh my god, these characters have direction' made me realize how much I appreciated this new Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013