Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How terrible is dirt 3's gfw integration? Looking for a rally game now that I have a driving force gt and see it's discounted here

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/?epicbundlesweekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lordfrikk posted:

The combat in Marvel Heroes is incomparably less interesting and thus worse for me, the combat in any ARPG is the most important thing (besides loot which directly increases your enjoyment of combat) and most APRGs nowadays fail spectacularly at making it interesting which was exacerbated even more after playing D3. And I don't even play it that much, probably put about 80 hours into all my characters combined and haven't played since the expansion came out.

The reason why MH was so good is because it had the ROS bounties before D3 had them in form of the legendary quest system and 'rifts' in the form of Midtown Madness. Fighting mobs and periodically getting a uber-boss pack in the form of the Sinister Six or the Brotherhood of Mutants was super fun.

Now that Blizzard copied the concepts of MH that made it so replayable, D3 definitely has an edge in terms of the visceral combat polish.

Also Marvel Heroes is inconsistent in that not all characters have had the same amount of polish (which is why you get those 52 reworks.) The ones that fun to play aren't too far off from the Diablo characters.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Harminoff posted:

How terrible is dirt 3's gfw integration? Looking for a rally game now that I have a driving force gt and see it's discounted here

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/?epicbundlesweekend

Has the basic GFWL version that lets you never need to redeem the key again, but other profiles can't play the game unless they get a key. However the developers are going to patch out GFWL in favor of Steamworks, but they are really behind at this right now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Personally, I blame Jay Wilson and Chris Metzen for the failure of Diablo 3. Ddraig's being kinda bone-headed about it, but I agree with him. I was burned at launch by Diablo 3 and nothing is going to get me to come back. Now that Marvel Heroes exists, and is free, I don't think I'll need another ARPG for the foreseeable future.

I hate the feeling of playing Diablo 3 and realize you had more fun playing Eastern Sun in Diablo 2. Now that game was loving fun. If you like hording items in RPGs, Eastern Sun is your Mecca. I haven't had so much fun hording poo poo into a box since New Vegas.

Diablo 3 wasn't a failure, it just launched with some really bone headed ideas (auction house), plus the failures of the servers to handle the initial rush so people couldn't play the game on release day. It still sold insanely well, and if anything the Loot 2.0 update re-energized the fan-base and brought more people in.

The most common complaints about Diablo 3 on these forums or others usually do include a mention of Diablo 2 or a comparison to Marvel Heroes.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Diablo 3 is really good now but I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to give Blizzard another $40 or even $20 to play it after paying full price for the release version and the modes RoS adds are a big part of what improve it so much. If you dont mind dropping $20 for it now though it's totally worth it, it's like the difference between Marvel Heroes release and Marvel Heroes 2015.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm going to sound like a real nitwit asking this, but in Knytt Underground how do you get access to the bells? I feel like I've uncovered 40% of the map and found two doors to bells, but only have one of the set of items each is asking for.

You basically just need to explore more and be more of a completionist. My recollection is that the items for a given bell are roughly in the same general region as that bell, but they're pretty spread out.

Alternatively, I remember hearing that each of them has an alternate entrance that avoids the toll, but is fairly tricky to get to.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait did someone say D3 was on sale for half price? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

sector_corrector posted:

Wait did someone say D3 was on sale for half price? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

https://us.battle.net/shop/es/product/game/diablo

Works for me, shows it all with 50% off

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Tezzeract posted:

The reason why MH was so good is because it had the ROS bounties before D3 had them in form of the legendary quest system and 'rifts' in the form of Midtown Madness. Fighting mobs and periodically getting a uber-boss pack in the form of the Sinister Six or the Brotherhood of Mutants was super fun.

Now that Blizzard copied the concepts of MH that made it so replayable, D3 definitely has an edge in terms of the visceral combat polish.

Also Marvel Heroes is inconsistent in that not all characters have had the same amount of polish (which is why you get those 52 reworks.) The ones that fun to play aren't too far off from the Diablo characters.

Eh I'd say the nice thing MH had was tons of small incremental things to grind towards. You had cube shards/splinters/relics/odin marks before considering actual gear. I'd say rifts are completely different from midtown in MH just due to how you needed to kill crap in D3 to spawn the boss at the end, while you could idle around in midtown. So a character with solid gear and skillset could clear rifts quickly to spawn the boss, adding a time attack element to it.

That said I've been playing more MH than D3 lately since MH has updates in the form of new heroes and the novelty of events sucks me in. But man I really should be hitting up D3 more since they've added those bullshit gems to level up.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I've just played through most of Bioshock Infinite and I'm having a blast. I got bored of both Bioshock 1 and 2 about halfway through and never finished either of them.

I don't really get all the criticism it got - was it just a case of it failing to live up to overhyped expectations?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've been playing more Diablo 3 since Gazillion have really been dragging their feet on adding more story content/new maps to MH. I'm really getting tired of every new update being a new hero or a new event that's just random drops from enemies AGAIN.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

Bubz posted:

I've just played through most of Bioshock Infinite and I'm having a blast. I got bored of both Bioshock 1 and 2 about halfway through and never finished either of them.

I don't really get all the criticism it got - was it just a case of it failing to live up to overhyped expectations?

Most people poke fun at how super deep GameFAQs users and the like think it is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. It's a serviceable game but stuck up its own arse to such a degree that it over-shadows anything else brought to the table. Kind of an inverse Gone Home in that respect, I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bubz posted:

If you've only played most of it you haven't got most of the dumb parts of the plot yet.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
In Diablo 3, sometimes a rainbow goblin appears and if you kill it before it disappears you are rewarded with a portal to Whimsyland, where you can murder and explode carebears and my little ponies, and sometimes find a literal loot pinata.

Top that, Marvel Heroes :colbert: (I haven't played it, not saying it's not fun)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I see that Crysis 2 and 3 are pretty cheap nowadays. I only played 2 on the console but I liked what I played. Never played 3. Which should I get?

Reposting this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Crysis 3 is the most impressive visually and has the most fun mechanics. The bow and remote hacking is great.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've been playing more Diablo 3 since Gazillion have really been dragging their feet on adding more story content/new maps to MH. I'm really getting tired of every new update being a new hero or a new event that's just random drops from enemies AGAIN.

As much as MH updates theres only really new content once a month in the form of heroes, then maybe 3-4 months for a new zone.

One thing thats always irked me about MH are the promos, they always tie some RNG loot box into it. Or how they seem to be slowing edging you into buying more storage by adding more poo poo to collect, through they finally got around to that currency tab like a month ago to free up acouple slots.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Reposting this.

Crysis 2 is pretty fun if linear, and offers a good 10-12ish hours of shooting dudes. It's not nearly as freeform as Crysis was, but that's not really a bad thing.

Crysis 3 is about 4 hours long, but brings back the huge open maps to gently caress around in. The problem is just that there are only 4-5 levels total, and if you just go from objective to objective, you can beat it in FOUR HOURS. And it gives you no reason not to do this. Oh also the plot is goddawful to the point it's almost offensive how bad it is, and the last boss fight is really crashy on consoles last I checked.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

mr. nobody posted:

In Diablo 3, sometimes a rainbow goblin appears and if you kill it before it disappears you are rewarded with a portal to Whimsyland, where you can murder and explode carebears and my little ponies, and sometimes find a literal loot pinata.

Top that, Marvel Heroes :colbert: (I haven't played it, not saying it's not fun)

You can also make a staff that lets you open a portal to Whimseyshire whenever you want. It's hilariously gory.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also Crysis 3 has a rather spectacular moment of the 'New York City 2.0' reveal which is pretty cool as yes, that is where you'll be fighting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mr. nobody posted:

Marvel Heroes has the traditional D2 cow level, space asgard cow level, and a level where you fight green loot potatoes that vomit hammers at you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rookersh posted:

Crysis 3 is about 4 hours long, but brings back the huge open maps to gently caress around in. The problem is just that there are only 4-5 levels total, and if you just go from objective to objective, you can beat it in FOUR HOURS. And it gives you no reason not to do this. Oh also the plot is goddawful to the point it's almost offensive how bad it is, and the last boss fight is really crashy on consoles last I checked.

I heard bad things about 3, but that sounds dire if you got it at full price. I recall it being on sale in Origin. Then again, 2 is even cheaper.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Nemesis system is making me want a game that has that mixed with Dark Messiah's combat. Imagine enemies developing grudges because you kicked them in the nuts into a bonfire.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Ghostlight posted:

Marvel Heroes has the traditional D2 cow level, space asgard cow level, and a level where you fight green loot potatoes that vomit hammers at you.

Would you be so kind as to name the level or how I could find something on youtube? Sounds hilarious

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Nemesis system is making me want a game that has that mixed with Dark Messiah's combat. Imagine enemies developing grudges because you kicked them in the nuts into a bonfire.
If Nemesis system becomes the new big poo poo everyone copies like third person cover systems then sign me up.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It says a lot about how bad SOTS2 is that there is a Paradox catalogue sale, but SOTS2 is not mentioned or listed at all.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
How hard is Crusader Kings to get into if you just kinda start playing it? I'm thinking of installing since it's free at the moment, but I'm a bit apprehensive because of how hard everyone says it is, and I really hate watching youtube tutorials because the people doing them always have these horrible obnoxious voices.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Diablo III was good at launch and is fantastic with the expansion, but I have three times as many hours in Marvel Heroes as I do D3. I also think Van Helsing has a better story, and Grim Dawn has a more interesting setting and systems. It's really hard for one ARPG to be the "best" because they're made of so many little parts that have to feel right. D3 has arguably the best combat out of any of them, for example, but I feel like so much more of a badass playing Marvel Heroes because the enemies tend to be weaker, come in greater numbers, and ragdoll further. :black101:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Diablo III was good at launch and is fantastic with the expansion,

lmao shut up

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moryrie posted:

How hard is Crusader Kings to get into if you just kinda start playing it? I'm thinking of installing since it's free at the moment, but I'm a bit apprehensive because of how hard everyone says it is, and I really hate watching youtube tutorials because the people doing them always have these horrible obnoxious voices.

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

I think that's the one to work with. Read that while you start playing. It's a pretty complicated game in the beginning to learn; it's certainly not pickupandgo unless you have played a bunch of other similar titles.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664#post417491613
You could also just roll with CapnAndy's serious/tutorial LP of the game. It seems pretty nice and will definitely help you get started.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 5, 2014

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Gort posted:

If you've only played most of it you haven't got most of the dumb parts of the plot yet.

Okay, the continual hate for Infinite in this thread has gotten to me; I'm going to :can: and say that if you think this about the ending of the game -- or you think the game in general had a dumb story because the time travel/infinite universes concept was handled poorly -- then you have legitimately Missed The Point.

NB: I am not saying Infinite is High Art or God's Gift to Games or anything like that, but the developers clearly had a very specific theme they wanted to explore, and the story for all its pulpy silliness was actually really drat well crafted to advance that theme: there is no such thing as meaningful choice in a video game.

Now, you can disagree with that theme, or think they are dumb and wrong for believing it to be true, but pretty much everything in the plot of the game is engaged with the delivery of that idea, and it's only in the last hour that it all crystallizes. If you play through the final hour of Infinite and think "man, what a dumb ending, that made no sense," then you are not thinking carefully/critically enough about the story you've just experienced. And, I mean, if you want to argue that you shouldn't have to think about a game to enjoy it then go hog wild I guess, but if you're going that route then don't slag on a game trying to do more than provide fun shootymans time because it invites you to think harder.

Bioshock Infinite, like a vanishingly small number of games, is actually trying to make the player think and not just feel, and whether or not you agree with its theme, you're simply wrong if you write off what it's trying to do as "dumb."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's a meaningful videogame choice: Don't play Bioshock Infinite

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ddraig posted:

Here's a meaningful videogame choice: Don't play Bioshock Infinite

I thought that was Spec Ops: The Line

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Occultatio posted:

Okay, the continual hate for Infinite in this thread has gotten to me; I'm going to :can: and say that if you think this about the ending of the game -- or you think the game in general had a dumb story because the time travel/infinite universes concept was handled poorly -- then you have legitimately Missed The Point.

NB: I am not saying Infinite is High Art or God's Gift to Games or anything like that, but the developers clearly had a very specific theme they wanted to explore, and the story for all its pulpy silliness was actually really drat well crafted to advance that theme: there is no such thing as meaningful choice in a video game.

Now, you can disagree with that theme, or think they are dumb and wrong for believing it to be true, but pretty much everything in the plot of the game is engaged with the delivery of that idea, and it's only in the last hour that it all crystallizes. If you play through the final hour of Infinite and think "man, what a dumb ending, that made no sense," then you are not thinking carefully/critically enough about the story you've just experienced. And, I mean, if you want to argue that you shouldn't have to think about a game to enjoy it then go hog wild I guess, but if you're going that route then don't slag on a game trying to do more than provide fun shootymans time because it invites you to think harder.

Bioshock Infinite, like a vanishingly small number of games, is actually trying to make the player think and not just feel, and whether or not you agree with its theme, you're simply wrong if you write off what it's trying to do as "dumb."

I liked Infinite and I am not sure what you are going on about.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Unlucky7 posted:

I liked Infinite and I am not sure what you are going on about.

"Bioshock Infinite can be read as a text in a manner similar to how literature can be read, because like literature it develops a central theme. This makes it unusual among video games."

EDIT: "And if you say it sucks because the story is "dumb" you're basically like people who say [insert work of generally-accepted-to-be-great literature here] is bad because it's boring."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
lol you want sum fuk?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The first Bioshock already had that as a theme and it did it a thousands times better and it didn't have to make a really failed attempt at trying to address racism and have a convoluted as poo poo sci-fi plot that contradicts itself to do it.

So in short, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Accordion Man posted:

The first Bioshock already had that as a theme and it did it a thousands times better and it didn't have to make a really failed attempt at trying to address racism and have a convoluted as poo poo sci-fi plot that contradicts itself to do it.

This, basically

• Locked thread