Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Don't forget the director's utter contempt for franchise fans and his unironic racist/sexist portrayal of minorities and women. Oh and Optimus Prime executes a dude who's begging for his life by blowing his head off with a shotgun :v:

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
And at the end of the latest Transformers film Optimus sets out on a quest to kill God!

Macaluso posted:

80s Hasbro Executive: "Is our Transformers line still popular in the future?"
Time Traveler: "Yeah Transformers is crazy popular in the future. There's even live action movies based on it!"
80s Hasbro Executive: "Oh wow! And how successful does our My Little Pony line become?"
Time Traveler: "...you might want to sit down for this"
"Let's just say it's really popular and leave it at that."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cardboard Box A posted:

"Let's just say it's really popular and leave it at that."

Like they'd give a poo poo, they're toy company executives.

"So wait, we're successfully leveraging our existing marketshare...but we're also making inroads into a demographic with more disposable income than sense?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Age of Extinction had a scene where a bunch of giggling nerds transform Rainbow Dash into an assault rifle. Talk about a loaded scene :ranbowdash:.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The MSJ posted:

Age of Extinction had a scene where a bunch of giggling nerds transform Rainbow Dash into an assault rifle. Talk about a loaded scene :ranbowdash:.

It's shocking that I don't remember this or the vagina monster.

I used to roll my eyes at people who said what I'm saying now because I thought they were trying to sound edgy, but almost 3 months later I only remember like 5, maybe 10 minutes of Age of Extinction.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

It's shocking that I don't remember this or the vagina monster.

I used to roll my eyes at people who said what I'm saying now because I thought they were trying to sound edgy, but almost 3 months later I only remember like 5, maybe 10 minutes of Age of Extinction.

It was a really long and really boring movie. Oh and a girl you could replace with a toaster and her story line wouldn't change. Evil robot dudes took Mark Wahlberg's favorite toaster and he has to get it back.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Evil robot dudes took Mark Wahlberg's favorite toaster and he has to get it back.

I'd watch it.
Not Transformers, mind you, but a movie where robots steal Marky Mark's toaster.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sockser posted:

Ouiabeau

Gonna need a name change
:lol: at anyone who gets mad about TTG, what is far and away the best thing created under the Teen Titans label.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Oh and a girl you could replace with a toaster and her story line wouldn't change. Evil robot dudes took Mark Wahlberg's favorite toaster and he has to get it back.

I wouldn't go that far, but only because I can be a literalist about poo poo like this. And anyway, it's hard to complain after reading that punchline.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The MSJ posted:

:wtf: :wtf: I thought this post was a joke BUT IT'S NOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXAfUOMITQ

Look how bad those effects are too holy poo poo.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Acquire Currency! posted:

Gonna need a name change
:lol: at anyone who gets mad about TTG, what is far and away the best thing created under the Teen Titans label.

I'm more curious as to the future of the DCAU on Cartoon Network.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thelaughingman posted:

Is there any DCAU left on Cartoon Network aside from TTG?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Jsor posted:

I don't really see a need to regulate merchandise driven franchises. If it's a good show, it's a good show.

There are issues with it, like studios not funding some products because they can't be merchandised as easily. That's unfortunate, but plenty of good merchandise-driven shows and movies have been good. Perhaps most notably Toy Story on the movie side of things.

The main issue back when the regulations were drawn up wasn't just tie-in merch, but shows that had ads indistinguishable from the rest of the show. Back in the 50s, you had Captain Midnight telling you to drink your Ovaltine, and (much, much worse) a nightmare high-pressure pitchman known as The Magic Clown. At some point the feds figured out it might be questionable to be so blatant about baiting the trap and dropped the hammer accordingly.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

:wtf: :wtf: I thought this post was a joke BUT IT'S NOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXAfUOMITQ

Look how bad those effects are too holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Gumball is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EasyEW posted:

The main issue back when the regulations were drawn up wasn't just tie-in merch, but shows that had ads indistinguishable from the rest of the show. Back in the 50s, you had Captain Midnight telling you to drink your Ovaltine

Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.slashfilm.com/saturday-morning-cartoons-dead/

Didn't see this here, but as of Saturday, September 27, 2014, broadcast cartoons on Saturday mornings are dead.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

All the haters secretly watch Pretty Pretty Pegasus.

Also, that Schoolhouse Rock style segment on the Knowledge episode was goddamn amazing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

It's called Teen Titans Go.

Have fun with that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 5, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
This week on TTG: You might benefit from watching MLP.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Thursdays have become my stress relief day. I've really been enjoying Cartoon Networks lineup on those days. Also, what the hell was up with the new Clarence episode with Jeff? It was like a mixture of American Psycho, Jacob's Ladder, and Brazil. Really weird, but good!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KingsPawn posted:

Thursdays have become my stress relief day. I've really been enjoying Cartoon Networks lineup on those days. Also, what the hell was up with the new Clarence episode with Jeff? It was like a mixture of American Psycho, Jacob's Ladder, and Brazil. Really weird, but good!

Fine, I'll watch Clarence.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

Fine, I'll watch Clarence.

It's the best thing now that adventure time got too esoteric for me to enjoy. I have other things to scratch that itch. Uncle Grandpa makes my brain hurt.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Ariza posted:

It's the best thing now that adventure time got too esoteric for me to enjoy. I have other things to scratch that itch. Uncle Grandpa makes my brain hurt.

AT is at its best when it dances betwixt enlightenment and rad-mad fantasy. :viggo:

I've avoided Clarence because it looks like Beavis and Butthead Junior.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 5, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I better not see anyone talk poo poo about TTG.

Also I watched Transformers Prime, pretty nice. It had a fantastic sense for set pieces, some of the battles had some really rad scenery. Did that show die because of the movies?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

Also I watched Transformers Prime, pretty nice. It had a fantastic sense for set pieces, some of the battles had some really rad scenery. Did that show die because of the movies?
I was under the impression it just finished its story.

It's nice to see Scott Menville get work? That's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 5, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

The show doesn't leave me satisfied or ravenous for more like Gumball or Adventure Time. I think that's intentional.

Ps. TTG's message this week: Hit the nerd! Hit the nerd and he'll leave you alone! Remember to only hit the nerd: big people will hurt you so you've got to be their friends.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of Transformers, whatever you think of the movies, I do think it's cool that they got Peter Cullen to play Optimus. But what's always bothered me was why did they never get Frank Welker to play Megatron? I mean, he's still alive...isn't it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of Transformers, whatever you think of the movies, I do think it's cool that they got Peter Cullen to play Optimus. But what's always bothered me was why did they never get Frank Welker to play Megatron? I mean, he's still alive...isn't it?

Welker is Galvatron in the latest movie. Some people even said he sounded like TF Prime Megatron. Welker also voiced Soundwave in the second and third movies, but they used his Dr Claw voice instead of the G1 cartoon voice. I think Welker also provided the various grunts and roars of robots in those movies.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I was under the impression it just finished its story.

Yes, the Predacon Rising movie ends the cartoon storyline. They already have a sequel series ready.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

KingsPawn posted:

My only problem with the episode was how the kids were divided into a 'smart class' and a 'stupid class'. But all the girls were in the smart class, and all the boys were in the stupid class (with only 1 exception of a boy in the smart class).

I don't know why this bothers me; I think maybe it's because I thought the background characters in Clarence are so beautifully designed and I thought they were lovingly and individually created. It's a shame that they just divided their intelligence basically by gender alone.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That ending segment on Uncle Grandpa was amazing. Was Browngardt able to get away with using the Adventure Time and Steven Universe logos just because they're all CN property, or did Ward and Sugar actually agree to let it happen?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Noonsaliwah posted:

My only problem with the episode was how the kids were divided into a 'smart class' and a 'stupid class'. But all the girls were in the smart class, and all the boys were in the stupid class (with only 1 exception of a boy in the smart class).

I don't know why this bothers me; I think maybe it's because I thought the background characters in Clarence are so beautifully designed and I thought they were lovingly and individually created. It's a shame that they just divided their intelligence basically by gender alone.

They address this at the end of the episode, the test was gender biased and it's the reason why the two classes become one again.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm pretty sure this has been posted. http://online.wsj.com/articles/discovery-to-take-control-of-the-hub-network-1410979842 We may not get more transformers.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TOILETLORD posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been posted. http://online.wsj.com/articles/discovery-to-take-control-of-the-hub-network-1410979842 We may not get more transformers.
It'll probably move to CN if anything.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Previews of the next transformers series and toys for it have already been shown.

I'd be cautiously optimistic, and more positive towards it than others might, but apparently Adam Beechan is heavily involved. Take that as you will.

There's been some complaints about Fixit, the little wheeled orange robot, but I see where they're going. He's the opposite of bitter old Ratchet. The lineup looks like they are trying to differentiate heavily from Prime, only one in common is Bee and he's both in a different role (from scout to a leader) and he actually talks now. The tone's a bit lighter so it might be less boring to people (again I really liked Prime but this was a big complaint). Again, I would not have a problem if it weren't for Beechan's involvement.

e: and even if the show turns out bad, the comics are still fantastic and better than ever (and I'm actually part of their target audience) so it won't be such a big deal.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 6, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That said the momment someone so much as sneezes out of line Prime will pop back up out of being dead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TOILETLORD posted:

How do you come to that conclusion (and about Transformers, specifically)? Everything I've read just says that they're changing the name back to being under the Discovery banner and Discovery is going to fill out the evening programming (which was all crap nobody wanted to watch on The Hub anyway), and Hasbro is still going to be filling the "afternoon children's toy cartoons" quota.

Deadline posted:

Discovery Communications and Hasbro announced this morning The Hub network will become Discovery Family Channel effective October 13, and will broaden its programming focus to serve families in primetime — while continuing to showcase Hasbro content in daytime, including My Little Pony, My Littlest Pet Shop and Transformers Rescue Bots.

So even after the rebranding they're still gonna have babby Transformers, I don't see any reason to think they won't have teen-focused Transformers again at some point as well.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

raditts posted:

How do you come to that conclusion (and about Transformers, specifically)? Everything I've read just says that they're changing the name back to being under the Discovery banner and Discovery is going to fill out the evening programming (which was all crap nobody wanted to watch on The Hub anyway), and Hasbro is still going to be filling the "afternoon children's toy cartoons" quota.

So even after the rebranding they're still gonna have babby Transformers, I don't see any reason to think they won't have teen-focused Transformers again at some point as well.

He came to that conclusion because kids don't watch premiers at 5 in the afternoon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sithsaber posted:

He came to that conclusion because kids don't watch premiers at 5 in the afternoon.

What the gently caress does this mean and what does it have to do with anything we're talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

All I remember about Transformers was watching Armada/the anime one when I was 10 or 11 years old. Was that show any good? (I suspect I know the answer)