Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
At 45degrees on a VA panel you are going to get some washout. If viewing angles are more important than contrast look at an LG IPS tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I suppose that thinking about it a little more, the only time I'm going to be at a terribly wide angle is when I'm in the kitchen, and even then my TV stand swivels a bit. Nevertheless, I'll swing by Best Buy to check things out there. Will also give me some time to reasearch other stuff and talk myself out of buying a TV that I don't particularly need.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

tk posted:

I suppose that thinking about it a little more, the only time I'm going to be at a terribly wide angle is when I'm in the kitchen, and even then my TV stand swivels a bit. Nevertheless, I'll swing by Best Buy to check things out there. Will also give me some time to reasearch other stuff and talk myself out of buying a TV that I don't particularly need.

Don't expect to see any of the P series Vizio's :(. Right now, I've only seen them on display at Costco (the 70 inch) and it's only running a crappy HD feed through coax at my store.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Also, in regards to VA vs IPS I personally wouldn't think there's really any reason to want an IPS panel in a FALD set. The LEDs in the backlight are going to give drastic halo and bloom at angles much less than the point where a VA panel will start distorting the colors significantly. You will however notice the increased native contrast much more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The OP seems out of date but I'm looking to buy a tv I suppose around 37-42 inches and willing to spend $500-800. What is recommended?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Probably either the Samsung UN40H6350, Vizio M422i-B1, or the LG 42LB6300. Funnily, that size range is the "small" size area so only mid tier models are available now for that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Next-Gen posted:

Probably either the Samsung UN40H6350, Vizio M422i-B1, or the LG 42LB6300. Funnily, that size range is the "small" size area so only mid tier models are available now for that.

I was eyeing the Vizio M422i-B1 at Best Buy. How would that handle PS4 gaming? It'd mostly be used for gaming and football/hockey with a bit of Netflix mixed in.

Edit: It was either that or a 50" Vizio e500i-B1 for $50 more.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 1, 2014

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I need to find a 55-65 inch TV that would work well with my htpc/ps4. I didn't know latency was even an issue until last week when I plugged my ps4 into my Samsung LED and holy poo poo its the worst.

We play a lot of games and watch a lot of TV. I'd like to keep the cost under $2k if possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bunk Rogers posted:

I need to find a 55-65 inch TV that would work well with my htpc/ps4. I didn't know latency was even an issue until last week when I plugged my ps4 into my Samsung LED and holy poo poo its the worst.

We play a lot of games and watch a lot of TV. I'd like to keep the cost under $2k if possible.

You can get a 65" vizio p series for $1999

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You can get a 65" vizio p series for $1999

What's the likelihood of this coming down a bunch near Black Friday?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bunk Rogers posted:

What's the likelihood of this coming down a bunch near Black Friday?

You can get 10% off at best buy with a movers guide coupon from the post office. I wouldn't expect a big discount on the p series. Maybe the e and m.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I was eyeing the Vizio M422i-B1 at Best Buy. How would that handle PS4 gaming? It'd mostly be used for gaming and football/hockey with a bit of Netflix mixed in.

Edit: It was either that or a 50" Vizio e500i-B1 for $50 more.

With gaming mode enabled I believe the M series does fine. The E series is going to just have slightly lower number of dimming zones as well as no "active pixel tuning" on the model,

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Next-Gen posted:

With gaming mode enabled I believe the M series does fine. The E series is going to just have slightly lower number of dimming zones as well as no "active pixel tuning" on the model,

Looking at the Best Buy website it says the M422i-B1 doesn't include gaming mode. At a glance Vizio's website doesn't say one way or the other.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Looking at the Best Buy website it says the M422i-B1 doesn't include gaming mode. At a glance Vizio's website doesn't say one way or the other.

http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M422iB1/UM_M422iB1.pdf Has a section saying one of the picture modes is "Game Mode".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Next-Gen posted:

http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M422iB1/UM_M422iB1.pdf Has a section saying one of the picture modes is "Game Mode".

Perfect. Thanks for bearing with me, AV equipment is a major weak spot for me. I'll give it a little bit hoping for a sale and if not take the plunge on the M422i-B1 at full price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

On the M series there is a Game mode picture mode but you cannot enable game mode on a custom picture setup (though you can modify the game mode setup if i remember). The p series has a game mode setting you can enable in any custom setup.

The p series also hits 17ms on HDMI 5

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Next-Gen posted:

None of these appear to be sold in the UK. Is there much difference between the Samsung UN40H models? Most of the ones on amazon appear to be 3D which I don't really care about. I do plan on buying a PS4 at some point which will be the TV's main use

murkdotdoc
Oct 26, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

You can get 10% off at best buy with a movers guide coupon from the post office. I wouldn't expect a big discount on the p series. Maybe the e and m.

Just picked up the E480i-B2 from Best Buy and successfully used this coupon for a total price of $450. I returned the incredibly crappy 48" Insignia I had bought the night before on a whim as it was $100 cheaper than the Vizio. Night and day difference between the two tvs, very glad I stuck to my original game plan of picking up the Vizio.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Does anybody have experience using a Spyder3 and using HFCR to calibrate the TV via the TV settings? I've found the couple of guides, but they are a bit confusing as gently caress and there aren't ones that combine with what settings to use via the backend menu access.

Right now I've used Spyder to calibrate via a profile on the videocard, but if i switch to the Xbox or PS3 it goes back to the non calibrated output.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Does anybody have experience using a Spyder3 and using HFCR to calibrate the TV via the TV settings? I've found the couple of guides, but they are a bit confusing as gently caress and there aren't ones that combine with what settings to use via the backend menu access.

Right now I've used Spyder to calibrate via a profile on the videocard, but if i switch to the Xbox or PS3 it goes back to the non calibrated output.

What settings does your tv have? Do you have 10 point calibration or just 2 point?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

What settings does your tv have? Do you have 10 point calibration or just 2 point?

Not 100% sure, it's a Panasonic Vierra TC-L47E5 47" IPS LED.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L47E5

I've gotten into the service menu just to look around but it was an odd and funky place.

edit: this is the guide i'm referencing. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 2, 2014

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Jose posted:

None of these appear to be sold in the UK. Is there much difference between the Samsung UN40H models? Most of the ones on amazon appear to be 3D which I don't really care about. I do plan on buying a PS4 at some point which will be the TV's main use

I don't know a ton about the european models, but generally the 6300+ model numbers are the slim led versions and below that is the fatter direct lit led model with less features. 6400+ typically adds local(ish) dimming and 7000+ has real clear panel technology. As you step up they also increase the hz to 120 then 240z and add higher CMR (typically screen blanking to increase the perceived motion clarity), add 3d somewhere along the line and add more inputs. Your closest analogue is probably the h6200 or h6400.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Not 100% sure, it's a Panasonic Vierra TC-L47E5 47" IPS LED.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L47E5

I've gotten into the service menu just to look around but it was an odd and funky place.

edit: this is the guide i'm referencing. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Is there something you are confused about in the guide? Its pretty step by step.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is there something you are confused about in the guide? Its pretty step by step.

I'll have to go over it a second time at home since work blocks the url, but IIRC i was having issues with the spider detection and what fileset to use.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Our old Samsung 50" DLP projection finally bit the dust and with summer outside projects finishing up it's time to go flatscreen shopping!

We don't have cable, mostly watch streamed or downloaded movies from the XBMC, and light gaming on the 360. My Girlfriend wants to get a PS4 and get more into that after the holidays so I want to find something that will work for both of us.

Ideally I'd like to skip smartTV features and put the money towards better display, but there does not seem to be much out there... we are looking for a 60" TV under $1500.

I'm looking at the Sharp LC-60LE650U but not sure about their whole AQUOS thing - it seems like marketing BS and of course all local stores have the TV's hooked up via the ANT connector and the quality is poo poo.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-60LE650U-60-inch-Aquos-1080p/dp/B00BG5M93Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Girlfriend likes Samsungs (her parents have one) and you guys all seem to prefer Vizio. Is Sharp any good? I don't want to waste a ton of money on features we are never going to use or notice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dirty Beluga posted:

Our old Samsung 50" DLP projection finally bit the dust and with summer outside projects finishing up it's time to go flatscreen shopping!

We don't have cable, mostly watch streamed or downloaded movies from the XBMC, and light gaming on the 360. My Girlfriend wants to get a PS4 and get more into that after the holidays so I want to find something that will work for both of us.

Ideally I'd like to skip smartTV features and put the money towards better display, but there does not seem to be much out there... we are looking for a 60" TV under $1500.

I'm looking at the Sharp LC-60LE650U but not sure about their whole AQUOS thing - it seems like marketing BS and of course all local stores have the TV's hooked up via the ANT connector and the quality is poo poo.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-60LE650U-60-inch-Aquos-1080p/dp/B00BG5M93Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Girlfriend likes Samsungs (her parents have one) and you guys all seem to prefer Vizio. Is Sharp any good? I don't want to waste a ton of money on features we are never going to use or notice.

Skipping smart tv features does not get you a better display. You are not paying anything extra for smart tv features. Sharp tv's are fine, Q+ and Quattron are BS and will do nothing for your picture.

For $1500 your best bet is probably the Samsung H7150 which just dropped in price. Its $1599 and would drop another $160 off if you got a bestbuy coupon from the post office

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...h7150&cp=1&lp=1

The vizio P602 is about $100 more expensive but gets you super low response time and 4k capability.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Next-Gen posted:

I don't know a ton about the european models, but generally the 6300+ model numbers are the slim led versions and below that is the fatter direct lit led model with less features. 6400+ typically adds local(ish) dimming and 7000+ has real clear panel technology. As you step up they also increase the hz to 120 then 240z and add higher CMR (typically screen blanking to increase the perceived motion clarity), add 3d somewhere along the line and add more inputs. Your closest analogue is probably the h6200 or h6400.

Having a look on amazon it seems the H6240 is probably the way to go. Thanks

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Sorry, newst version is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Ok, so now that I'm home and can go over it, I cant find the RGBHighEnd and RGBLowEnd or their analogues in the menus i have available, as the suggested names may be:

RGB LowEnd: Bias, Offset, Cuts, Cutoff, Sub-brightness, RGB brightness
RGB HighEnd: Drive, Gain, Sub-contrast, RGB contrast

Also is there any CMS available, perhaps somewhere in the service menu?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been trying to figure out what TV to get, looking for something 48"+. I want to use it to watch movies and play sidescrollers.
Mainly I was wondoering whether there much of a difference between the Samsung H5xxx which can be had for ~500 euros and the H6xxx ones which are ~650 for the same size, besides the 3D capabilities which I'm not really interested in?

I could also get a 4K screen instead, but I think it is better to not pay the extra for 4K now and buy a 4K 3D OLED whatnot in however many years it takes for 4K to become mainstream.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 3, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I have a 60" Samsung LED Smart TV. It's developed faded horizontal lines on the left half of the screen, seemingly overnight. Anyone know what this could be? I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow, but would appreciate if anyone has any tips to start off with. I'm going to be pissed if this TV is crapping out after less than two years.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Skipping smart tv features does not get you a better display...

yeah, I'm seeing that. Really feels like a "well,if you want the leather seats we're gonna have to sell you the premium sound package too" kinda crap. Ah well, its not the end of the world.

Went to Best Buy to look at some stuff this evening and a Sony caught my eye. The kdl60w630b is reasonably priced and seemed better put together than the Sharp's or Vizio's they had in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN8S/ref=sr_1_1

I'm leery of Sony stuff from a bad experience with a Vaio desktops Back In The Day. This TV seems to get great reviews wherever I look online though... Anyone have experience with Sony TV's?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dirty Beluga posted:

Went to Best Buy to look at some stuff this evening and a Sony caught my eye. The kdl60w630b is reasonably priced and seemed better put together than the Sharp's or Vizio's they had in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN8S/ref=sr_1_1

I'm leery of Sony stuff from a bad experience with a Vaio desktops Back In The Day. This TV seems to get great reviews wherever I look online though... Anyone have experience with Sony TV's?

Sony TV's are one of the best brand name televisions.

Edit: You have to remember that big corporations like Sony have entire groups that focus on one product line. The quality of Sony laptops are not indicative of another product. Also, there's a reason why Sony is spinning of their laptop business.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 3, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
It looks like a number of the 4k TV's from Samsung, Sony and LG took a dip in price this morning, finally. I guess they may still go further being that we're still a month and a half from Black Friday.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sony TV's are one of the best brand name televisions.

Edit: You have to remember that big corporations like Sony have entire groups that focus on one product line. The quality of Sony laptops are not indicative of another product. Also, there's a reason why Sony is spinning of their laptop business.
Are you really linking an article about how poorly Sony's TV and laptop divisions are doing to emphasize how much their laptops suck compared to their TVs?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

tk posted:

Are you really linking an article about how poorly Sony's TV and laptop divisions are doing to emphasize how much their laptops suck compared to their TVs?

Yep, I sure did. I'm aware of the contents of the article. The article at least states that their TV business is 3rd in the market (though at an increasing margin). I don't know of anyone who would recommend a Vaio.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what's the name of the feature on new TVs that makes video look unnaturally fast? Its the default setting on every tv you see in best buy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's the name of the feature on new TVs that makes video look unnaturally fast? Its the default setting on every tv you see in best buy.

The "technology" is basically "interpolation" where it's creating frames so your frame-rate is much smoother than the source footage. So it'd analyze 24 fps footage, create interpolated frames (like between frame 1 and 2) thereby smoothing out the footage and upping it's perceived frame-rate to something like 30 or 60. People call it the soap opera effect because soap operas are usually filmed in higher frame rates than other TV shows so they have a very recognizable look.

Now, what it's called in the manual will vary depending on manufacturer as they love to brand it as their own tech (CineMotion, TruMotion, blah blah blah). And then on top of that people like to mismarket it as "120 Hz" technology. They are not the same thing. 120Hz is just the refresh rate and doesn't inherently make things run "smoother."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So you can turn it off right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes, I've never come across a TV where you couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yup. Just find out whatever your manufacturer has decided to call it and turn it off. 120Hz can't be turned off as it's not a "feature" as much as it's an "inherent native spec of the tv."