Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
That which is rotten may never spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Connington not cutting off his fingers is pretty stupid. They just stormed a castle. Make up a story. It's not hard (unless your GRRM).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Violence against women HELL YEAH BRO

But seriously Darth Drogo would be the best/most OP Sithlord

Also Drogo = AA confirmed blah blah blah it is stale etc etc

Edit: I remove my righteous SJW anger I thought it was Danaerys and violently murdering her is kind of a hosed up thing to want--being eaten by her own dragons is a much more appropriate and less problematic mode of removing her from the story.

It appears to be MMD and it is imo appropriate to depict Drogo doing what he probably would do with a lightsaber

visceril fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 3, 2014

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

visceril posted:

It appears to be MMD and it is imo appropriate to depict Drogo doing what he probably would do with a lightsaber

It's that dude whose tongue he pulled out in season 1 of this book series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

visceril posted:

Edit: I remove my righteous SJW anger I thought it was Danaerys and violently murdering her is kind of a hosed up thing to want--being eaten by her own dragons is a much more appropriate and less problematic mode of removing her from the story.

I think I missed a joke or something.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's that dude whose tongue he pulled out in season 1 of this book series.

Ha, wrong on two counts. That would be the joke I guess

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

visceril posted:

Time to get your prescription refilled.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

visceril posted:

ahahahaha

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

visceril posted:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

visceril posted:

What the gently caress is this guy rambling about

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Having binged my way through the first two seasons of Orphan Black, I find myself really wishing Tatiana Maslany had gotten the job as Dany. She's a lot better of an actress and plays "various shades of ludicrous insanity coupled with vulnerability" way better than whats-her-name in those photos there.

Plus, she'd've gotten to smooch with Michiel Huisman either way.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah yes. The beautiful caterpillar love dance. Look at those magestic pupae frolic.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

When I see that picture I'm reminded of her in that bad lip reading video.

Yep, around 1:42 - 1:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

When I see that picture I'm reminded of her in that bad lip reading video.

Yep, around 1:42 - 1:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

He was a Capricorn!

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water. When she closed her eyes at last, Dany did not know whether she would be strong enough to open them again

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Kuiperdolin posted:

If Dany before she reaches Westeros it will be the worst shaggy dog story ever. And hilarious.

Dany lands on skagos, gets mauled by shaggydog to death.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Having binged my way through the first two seasons of Orphan Black, I find myself really wishing Tatiana Maslany had gotten the job as Dany. She's a lot better of an actress and plays "various shades of ludicrous insanity coupled with vulnerability" way better than whats-her-name in those photos there.

Emilia Clarke is a really boring Dany. It's obviously the direction and script too but I always feel a better actor could do something with the role.

She is better in the first season but after that completely fails to hit any of the 'conflicted' 'scared' 'maybe just a little bit insane' beats and is just doing a Margaret Thatcher impression.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
She doesn't seem to hit the whole "I'm just a (little) girl, ignorant of war" thing that Dany does in the book to make people underestimate her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Her eyebrows should be one of the backgrounds you can download for your media player

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

She doesn't seem to hit the whole "I'm just a (little) girl, ignorant of war" thing that Dany does in the book to make people underestimate her.

Well, while it's obvious why they made this change, book Dany actually is a little girl whereas whatsername is an adult woman.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think the real problem is that she just doesn't have any charisma, really. Age isn't all that important; what defines Dany to me, in the books, is that she has this charismatic Targaryen magnetism - the same kind that Rhaegar probably had. And this causes Dany (in the books) to have this ability to just draw people into her sphere, inspire them, make countless thousands of people want to devote themselves to her completely. This was like, the one essential and innate aspect she had in the book, and it's what creates the conflict in her character in ASOS/ADWD - the fact that she is trying to be both this charismatic Targaryen conqueror (which requires a certain heartlessness and strength of purpose which she clearly found while successively sacking bigger and bigger cities in Slaver's Bay) as well as be this vulnerable normal girl who wants to find peace and fall in love and have all those things that most people have, which is what was so boring to watch in Meereen.

I always thought this fell apart completely in the show because the actress simply didn't have the charisma to carry the role and make the character believable. So it all comes off as this sort of absurd charade that doesn't ring true at all. And thus Dany comes off a bit more like an entitled poser (which is what Viserys was) rather than "the real deal" which is what she's supposed to be in the books.

By comparison you've also got Tyrion, another character defined by his charisma, and they at least found a charismatic actor to play the role which makes Tyrion "feel" right, on some basic level, you know? They've maybe overplayed it a bit, but better to overdo it than underdo it, clearly. Or you've got Maise Williams who has charisma coming out her ears (much moreso than book-Arya, even) and it adds dimensions and possibilities to the character, which is really cool.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 5, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like this face, though:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
someone register http://www.targaryenface.com

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
From my experience most show people really dig Kelly C and Emilia Clarke. I actually think that charisma (and a beautiful face) is pretty much all she's got going for her. Oh and she can also on occasion sound pretty regal when she gives speeches in a fake language.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ahahaha drat

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I <3 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`Khalessi~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That girl can pout.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

From my experience most show people really dig Kelly C and Emilia Clarke. I actually think that charisma (and a beautiful face) is pretty much all she's got going for her. Oh and she can also on occasion sound pretty regal when she gives speeches in a fake language.

I think the problem is perhaps that I'm too much of a fag for Emilia Clarke's "charisma" to work well on me. She just looks like a cute face in a blonde wig who can't act very well, to me. Lena Dunham, on the other hand, as Cersei is a cute face in a blonde wig who is *amazing* at acting and whom I like a lot on the show, actually, despite her range of facial expressions being somewhat limited. So I don't think I'm just biased.

A character that has 'charisma' on a television show has a certain je ne sais quos that draws your eye to them on the screen no matter what, and makes you want to pay very close attention to everything they say and do. Matt McConaughey on True Detective is one of the best examples I can think of - he took a character that could have been repellent and unpleasant in the hands of a lot of actors, and made him utterly magnetic and likable, even when going off on stoned dorm-room philosophizing tangents.

To me, Emilia Clarke literally has "anti-charisma" - I'd rather be watching anyone else or listening to anyone else at any given time when she's on-screen, because her bad acting is honestly the thing that takes me out of the show the most, oddly enough. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but other than that one stretch of episodes in the first half of season 4, I've found her character's story to be the most clear weak link throughout the show. It worked in season 1, I think, because I felt like her antagonists (Viserys and Mirri Maz Duur) were really impeccably cast and acted, and highly effective in their role. I thought season 2 was a good object lesson in this - Dany had no good antagonists (though they tried to make Xaro into a clearer one) and her story in that season just meanders and floats around pointlessly and it felt like they were just moving her story along to keep in line with the books and get her in the right place in the end. And it just worked out horribly, because Emilia Clarke can't carry a storyline on her own.

And she does sound regal when giving fake speeches in High Valyrian. But in truth, I mean... that period of time where she just goes up the coast sacking Slaver's Bay (which is when she gives that great Valyrian speech) and it is by far the coolest part of her story, and as close as we've come to seeing "vengeful conquering Dany" I think.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 5, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kaworu posted:

Lena Dunham, on the other hand, as Cersei

Tell me more :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That'd be worse than Gary Busey cast as Varys.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

kaworu posted:

Lena Dunham, on the other hand, as Cersei

Do not want.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Evil Fluffy posted:

That'd be worse than Gary Busey cast as Varys.

This would be unironically awesome.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
What the gently caress is a Lena Dunham?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

:doh: Why, why would I make a slip like that? I guess I'll leave it up there for posterity, it is an amusing visual and concept, really... But honestly, how can I be expected to keep all both of the actresses named Lena straight in my head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AtAt-de-fay posted:

What the gently caress is a Lena Dunham?

Rotund, spoiled as gently caress, whiny, and just self-aware enough of these facts that you feel like a bully for hating on her.