Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Sickening posted:

Its time to renew that CCNA folks. Which should I choose?

SP Operations
Voice
Wireless

Take any CCNP exam. I'm fond of TSHOOT as the most fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

You can try but the process is sometimes a pain (by what I hear)

See if you can find the CBT nugget on FHRPs, it can really help to distinguish between HSRP/VRRP/GBLP

Yeah. That is part of my plan. Going to go chapter by chapter through the Todd Lammle CCNA book over the next two weeks or so. Gonna schedule for about halfway through October. Thanks for the encouragement, too. It's what I really needed today.

high six fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 1, 2014

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Had some trouble with the ADFS parts, but I managed to pass the 70-640 with a 812/1000
Now I only have to tackle the 70-646 and I got my MCSA 2008.
http://itfreetraining.com/ is a pretty nice source of information besides CBT Nuggets and the books.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

1000101 posted:

Take any CCNP exam. I'm fond of TSHOOT as the most fun.
Just to verify, you can mix in older version of the exams, right? Say pass the 642-902 version of ROUTE and then study 300-115/300-135 later on.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Ozu posted:

Just to verify, you can mix in older version of the exams, right? Say pass the 642-902 version of ROUTE and then study 300-115/300-135 later on.

That's correct, but you only have three years from the time you pass the first one to complete the other two.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Last night I decided I was going to finally take the Stanly CC VMware course, so I went to add myself to the waitlist aaaaaaaaaand...

gently caress.

Welp, there goes that idea.

My parents live in an eligible state. Is anything stopping me from using their address? Will I even get anything in the mail for this course?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Based on what guidelines?

I'd just apply, but that's me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

Last night I decided I was going to finally take the Stanly CC VMware course, so I went to add myself to the waitlist aaaaaaaaaand...

gently caress.

My parents live in an eligible state. Is anything stopping me from using their address? Will I even get anything in the mail for this course?

Not at all, I know several people who just used a relatives address when signing up for the course. The only negative is that you wont get the little paper certificate of completion sent to your house.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not at all, I know several people who just used a relatives address when signing up for the course. The only negative is that you wont get the little paper certificate of completion sent to your house.

Perfect, just signed up for the waitlist. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Finished my degree at WGU today. Got my capstone results back this morning. It'd done and over with finally.

I need to get my VCP next before the 5.1 class I took is no longer valid, then I'll think about some of the Microsoft 2012 stuff maybe.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only negative is that you wont get the little paper certificate of completion sent to your house.

I used my own address and didn't get a little paper certificate and now I want one.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cenodoxus posted:

gently caress.

As a resident of MN, I was able to put in my Dad's address in WI and had no problem. I just made up some BS about how I was in the process of moving and that was my new address.
The problem arises from those states not viewing the Stanly course as a college course or whatever, but all I care is that VMware accepts it, I don't care what the state thinks.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cenodoxus posted:

gently caress.

Those states have very strict guidelines regarding spelling.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If I want to escape minimum-wage dead-end hell and go into IT with no job experience, would getting my A+ and Network+ right off the bat be a good idea? It seems like I already know a lot of the material just from being a hobbyist, and what I don't know I could pick up pretty easily.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If I want to escape minimum-wage dead-end hell and go into IT with no job experience, would getting my A+ and Network+ right off the bat be a good idea? It seems like I already know a lot of the material just from being a hobbyist, and what I don't know I could pick up pretty easily.

How to be IT from not IT:

First

Get A+ and join helldesk
Get Network+ stay in helldesk

Then

Choose MS cert and be junior admin then work on regular admin

Or

Choose Cisco cert and be NOC tech and make way to network engineer

And

learn Linux and have more options open.

Or

Choose management and never learn about IT. TAKE ITIL and be ISSO.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Those states have very strict guidelines regarding spelling.

Yeah, but VMWare is probably more concerned about their GUIDlines.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redstormpopcorn posted:

Yeah, but VMWare is probably more concerned about their GUIDlines.

:downsrim:

At least I got the joek

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

IT sucks unless you're in the security group. Then it's fun. Seriously end user support is awful; evidenced by like every thread on it ever.

Start grilling any friends you have who work in IT to get you into their Help Desk. I got out of the Army and was working as an armed security guard where most days I wondered where my life had gone wrong and why I got out. A buddy got me an interview so sometimes it's who you know.

Skip A+. Get Net+/Sec+ while you do your time in a Help Desk as tier 1 or 2. Find your way into a security group somewhere I don't care how or where. I did about 1 year as a tier 1 support dude and once there was an opening for sec admin I jumped on it. Few years doing that and with a combination of luck and hard work I got into an analyst role.

I don't think I actually know a single person who has an A+. Nobody cares.

E: If you live in the DC area I can probably get you a job at my companies Help Desk.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 3, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

internet jerk posted:

IT sucks unless you're in the security group. Then it's fun. Seriously end user support is awful; evidenced by like every thread on it ever.

There are plenty of good IT jobs outside of security depending on what you enjoy, and plenty of terrible security jobs (run Nessus, generate report, send out to admin group, repeat ad infinitum). End user support sucks, but there are lots and lots of jobs that aren't end user focused.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I know, I wasn't being totally serious. Except end user support really does suck far more often than it doesn't.

Audit/compliance/policy within security is something I will never let myself get involved with to any extent I can possibly control. By fun I basically just mean getting to play internet detective. Nessus isn't so bad though, then again I don't have to send out the JIRA tickets and continually follow up with other teams telling people to fix x y and z.

E: I'll also qualify my fun statement with the fact that where I work I get to play in a wider range of space than I would at an organization where an analyst sits in front of the IPS all day and nothing else.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've achieved that IT nerd nirvana where I have zero interaction with end users and spend all day in a windowless office using CLIs.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Heh, kinda the same here for me since I moved into Networking. Worked helldesk for 11 years, been in this position since May, HAVENT TAKEN A SINGLE PHONE CALL YET! It is glorious! Not being tied to a push call system, or any call management system at all anymore. Come and go as I please, the freedom to spend as much time focusing on the task at hand, (run a fifth of a mile of Fiber cord). So much better!

Oh and I finish my degree in 38 days!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

I've achieved that IT nerd nirvana where I have zero interaction with end users and spend all day in a windowless office using CLIs.

People still email and call me directly for end user access requests etc. Mostly I just ignore the phone calls and fwd the emails to the sec admins. I wouldn't mind doing it for them if I didn't have this whole other job responsibility. If I'm feeling charitable or it's somebody I like then it's pretty much a reply that I'm including our sec administration team (3 dudes) to make sure they're taken care of. I also use the excuse that my security admin level access to a bunch of apps were stripped per security least privilege practices (which isn't true I still have them :ssh:).

Our "SOC" (I dislike the term SOC) room is in the process of being built soon, so the analyst/engineer teams will have a place to hole up and pretend to be interested in the huge gently caress off monitors on the wall displaying Arcsight or Solarwinds or whatever we decide looks important. Badge scanner and everything, it's going to be rad keeping genpop out.

E: for cert content. Still waiting on confirmation from Fishnet about my Arcsight Analyst class in Reston this month. Arcsight is cash in the bank guys. Get on that train if you can.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I'm hitting up the ArcSight training in December. I guess it was included in our service contract. Also going to the Sourcefire 5 course at Cisco's place in Reston in November.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Let me know how Sourcefire goes, I'll be taking it at some point once we get off 4x. Hopefully by the end of the year/early next.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MG42 posted:

Had some trouble with the ADFS parts, but I managed to pass the 70-640 with a 812/1000
Now I only have to tackle the 70-646 and I got my MCSA 2008.
http://itfreetraining.com/ is a pretty nice source of information besides CBT Nuggets and the books.

Oh man, ADFS. I remember going through that. Takes a lot of writing down the trusts in a nice directional chart thing to make it rememberable even on the best of days.

The 70-646 is tricky in some parts but the format of the exam and its testlets are as good as it gets in terms of practical testing for the 2k8/2012 exams.

CrazyLittle posted:

At least I got the joek

I saw that and thought of Jeff K., and hoped maybe Lowtax would bring him back as a sysadmin.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 3, 2014

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

OhDearGodNo posted:

How to be IT from not IT:

First

Get A+ and join helldesk
Get Network+ stay in helldesk

Then

Choose MS cert and be junior admin then work on regular admin

Or

Choose Cisco cert and be NOC tech and make way to network engineer

And

learn Linux and have more options open.

Or

Choose management and never learn about IT. TAKE ITIL and be ISSO.

Are there (generally speaking) other entry-level options besides helpdesk, particularly for people who want to go down the networking path?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Remy Marathe posted:

Are there (generally speaking) other entry-level options besides helpdesk, particularly for people who want to go down the networking path?

If you're applying for any kind of Network or System Administrative position they're going to want to see some prior professional technical experience even if it's lowly helpdesk.

Sure, you could study at home, get certified and apply but you're missing a lot of general IT experience or even just general corporate/business experience that's expected people filling these positions typically posses before hitting the floor.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

internet jerk posted:

I know, I wasn't being totally serious. Except end user support really does suck far more often than it doesn't.

I didn't realize how much hate I had built up inside my body until I got off of the help desk. Now I smile at babies, tip better, I remembered how to laugh.. Thanks network group!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

rock2much posted:

I didn't realize how much hate I had built up inside my body until I got off of the help desk. Now I smile at babies, tip better, I remembered how to laugh.. Thanks network group!

When I was working in a "client facing" position I would usually tell people at happy hours how stupid they were being in a very positive spin and make them see the alternatives. Alcohol plus my ability to manipulate coworkers has served me well. Face time does not have to end when you punch out.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

psydude posted:

Yeah I'm hitting up the ArcSight training in December. I guess it was included in our service contract. Also going to the Sourcefire 5 course at Cisco's place in Reston in November.

Cisco has a place in Reston?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
They have offices in Herndon, close enough.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Probably around sunset hills

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

E: for cert content. Still waiting on confirmation from Fishnet about my Arcsight Analyst class in Reston this month. Arcsight is cash in the bank guys. Get on that train if you can.

psydude posted:

Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I got hired into an analyst position back in December as my first IT job out of college. I had been in the military as an intel analyst prior to school and the degree plus the intel experience was enough to get me in the door I guess. I was hired off my resume, no interview and was told I would be trained on the job. It ended up the training was basically looking through a binder that had SOP's and that was about it. The job is basically stare at Arcsight on one monitor while watching netflix/youtube whatever on the other and investigating any alerts and writing incident reports as needed.

I am trying to buckle down and work on certs so I am not completely wasting my time but any advice how to make the most out of this so I actually learn something before moving on to the next gig?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Onsite technician. I didn't want to work helpdesk when I got hired at an MSP and doing the onsite work was the other viable route. Worked in the onsite role, improved their processes, did a good job, and got moved onto the project team a year later. It's up to you what you make of it but you have to start somewhere. Showing initiative means a lot in IT... most people seem to not give a gently caress.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

I just finished the VCP-DCV course Friday and I am now able to register for the VCP-DCV exam. I am currently waiting for PearsonVUE to add the VMware portal to my account, whatever that means. I got the blueprint and Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 book. Any people with experience studying and taking the VCP-DCV exam have any tips and suggestions? What is the best way to practice for the test?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

likw1d posted:

I just finished the VCP-DCV course Friday and I am now able to register for the VCP-DCV exam. I am currently waiting for PearsonVUE to add the VMware portal to my account, whatever that means. I got the blueprint and Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 book. Any people with experience studying and taking the VCP-DCV exam have any tips and suggestions? What is the best way to practice for the test?

Wait at least a month or two. Spend that time reviewing every concept, especially the obscure ones (autodeploy, for example). Know configuration maximums. Know iSCSI and Fibre Channel configs (zoning, masking, etc). I waited seven months before taking the test, and spent the two weeks leading up to it reading each of the books. I eeked out a passing score, but I attribute that to being able to answer the obscure ones.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

Wait at least a month or two. Spend that time reviewing every concept, especially the obscure ones (autodeploy, for example). Know configuration maximums. Know iSCSI and Fibre Channel configs (zoning, masking, etc). I waited seven months before taking the test, and spent the two weeks leading up to it reading each of the books. I eeked out a passing score, but I attribute that to being able to answer the obscure ones.

I was planning on scheduling to take the test sometime in December or January. My idea is to just study and read everything over and over until then. It's a great idea to focus on the obscure concepts though, I'll make sure I know those well. Do you think practice tests are worth it? I would like to get familiar with how VMware test questions are worded or what to expect at least.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

hitachi posted:

Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I got hired into an analyst position back in December as my first IT job out of college. I had been in the military as an intel analyst prior to school and the degree plus the intel experience was enough to get me in the door I guess. I was hired off my resume, no interview and was told I would be trained on the job. It ended up the training was basically looking through a binder that had SOP's and that was about it. The job is basically stare at Arcsight on one monitor while watching netflix/youtube whatever on the other and investigating any alerts and writing incident reports as needed.

I am trying to buckle down and work on certs so I am not completely wasting my time but any advice how to make the most out of this so I actually learn something before moving on to the next gig?

Would work be willing to send you to any SANS courses for a GIAC cert? You could just look at the course schedules and pick a subject that interests you/aligns with your experience level. Or you could always just self study for CISSP but that cert sounds mega boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

Would work be willing to send you to any SANS courses for a GIAC cert? You could just look at the course schedules and pick a subject that interests you/aligns with your experience level. Or you could always just self study for CISSP but that cert sounds mega boring.

I don't think they will pay for the course, they will reimburse for certs though. I am working on CEH now because the prime contractor is having their guys do it so we are going to share resources. I will probably work on CISSP next and yeah it does look boring as poo poo.